Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,750 members, 7,820,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes (17296 Views)

Unlock Your Car Stereo Free Here ,free Radio Unlock Codes, / Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor / Free Honda Radio Unlock Codes. Up To Year 2009. K.k Business Asoc. Ltd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by calculusx(m): 7:09am On Aug 27, 2012
Oxygen Sensor

An oxygen sensor (O2 sensor) measures the amount of the oxygen in the exhaust gases, sending the voltage signal to the engine computer (ECM). The ECM uses the signal from the front and the rear oxygen sensors to control the engine operation and to monitor the performance of the catalytic converter, which is a major part of the vehicle's emission control system. A typical modern car has two or four oxygen sensors in the exhaust: one in front of the catalytic converter(s) and one after.

How an oxygen sensor works

There are few types of oxygen sensors, but here we will consider a commonly used, the voltage-generating type. As the name implies, a voltage-generating oxygen sensor generates small voltage proportional to the difference in the amount of oxygen inside and outside of the exhaust.
When the air-fuel mixture entering the engine is lean (less fuel and more air), there is more oxygen in the exhaust and the oxygen sensor will generate a very small voltage (0.1-0.2V). This is because the difference between the amount of oxygen inside the exhaust is small compared to the outside. If the air-fuel mixture becomes rich (more fuel and less air), there is less oxygen in the exhaust, so the oxygen sensor will generate more voltage (around 0.9V). By measuring the oxygen sensor voltage, the engine computer (ECM) knows if the air/fuel mixture is lean or rich. To work properly, an oxygen sensor must be heated to a certain temperature. In the 80-s, an oxygen sensor was heated by the hot exhaust gases. Newer cars use heated oxygen sensors, with an electric heating element inside.

http://www.samarins.com/glossary/oxygen_sensor.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by calculusx(m): 7:12am On Aug 27, 2012
Front Oxygen Sensor

A front oxygen sensor is one of the main fuel injection system components used to determine how much fuel is injected in the engine. A faulty or "lazy" oxygen sensor is a common reason for poor gas mileage. Your mechanic can check the oxygen sensor with a scan tool.
Newer cars have the air/fuel ratio sensor installed instead of an oxygen sensor. An air/fuel ratio sensor works differently, but has the same purpose. A bad air/fuel ratio sensor also can cause increased fuel consumption.

A front oxygen sensor is the key component of an electronic fuel injection system. The front O2 sensor is responsible for keeping the air-fuel ratio of the mixture entering the engine at an optimal level, which is approximately 14.7:1.
A front oxygen sensor is installed in the exhaust manifold or in the exhaust down pipe, close to the engine, right before the catalytic converter. It monitors the amount of the oxygen in the exhaust gases and provides the feedback signal to the engine computer whether the air-fuel mixture is lean or rich

When the front O2 sensor senses high level of oxygen, the ECM assumes that the engine is running lean (not enough fuel), so the ECM adds a little more fuel.
When the level of oxygen in the exhaust becomes low, the ECM assumes that the engine is running rich (too much fuel) and reduces fuel supply accordingly.
This process is continuous. The engine computer constantly cycles between slightly lean and slightly rich conditions to keep the air/fuel ratio at the optimal level. This process is called closed loop operation.

When the car is started cold, the front oxygen sensor is not fully warmed up, and the ECM does not use the front O2 sensor signal for fuel trim adjustment. This mode is called open loop. Only when the oxygen sensor is fully warmed up, the fuel injection system goes into closed loop mode.
If you look at the front oxygen sensor voltage signal (in the photo), it will be cycling somewhere between 0.2 Volts (Lean) and 0.9 Volts (Rich).
Some cars have a broadband air/fuel ratio sensor installed instead of a regular oxygen sensor. An air/fuel ratio sensor works differently, but serves the same purpose - to detect whether the air/fuel mixture entering the engine is rich or lean. An air-fuel ratio sensor is more precise and can measure wider range of air/fuel ratio.

1 Like

Re: Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by calculusx(m): 7:17am On Aug 27, 2012
Rear Oxygen Sensor

Rear (downstream) oxygen sensor diagram

Rear oxygen sensor voltage signal on a scope display. Spikes show rich mixture when the engine is revved. The rear oxygen sensor is installed in the exhaust after the catalytic converter. The rear oxygen sensor is used to monitor the efficiency of the catalytic converter.
As mentioned before, the engine computer (ECM) constantly cycles between slightly lean and slightly rich air/fuel mixture, so the level of oxygen before the catalytic converter constantly changes as it appears on the graph above.

If the catalytic converter works properly, the level of oxygen after the catalytic converter should be close to constant.
The ECM constantly compares the signals from the front and the rear oxygen sensors. If the signal from the rear oxygen sensor shows that the catalytic converter can no longer do its job properly, the ECM turns on the "Check Engine" light and sets the corresponding trouble code in its memory.
The rear oxygen sensor can be checked with a scan tool or a lab scope. You can see the rear oxygen sensor voltage signal on the graph. Spikes indicate the rich mixture when the engine was revved.

Re: Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by calculusx(m): 7:30am On Aug 27, 2012
Bank 1, Bank 2

Typically, the engine bank that contains cylinder 1 is called Bank 1. A typical in-line 4-cylinder engine has only one bank of four cylinders (Bank 1) and two oxygen sensors, one in front of the catalytic converter (in a technical literature it's called "Front O2 sensor" or "Sensor 1"wink and one after it ("Rear O2 sensor" or "Sensor 2"wink. Therefore, in an in-line 4-cylinder engine, the term "Bank 1, Sensor 1" simply refers to the front oxygen sensor. "Bank 1, Sensor 2" is the rear oxygen sensor. A V6 or V8 engine has two banks (or two parts of that "V"wink, each with three or four cylinders respectively. Usually, in a V6 or V8 engine, the bank that contains the cylinder number 1 is called "Bank 1" and the opposite bank is called "Bank 2". A typical V6 or V8 engine has two catalytic converters and four oxygen sensors: "Sensor 1" or "Front O2 sensor" refers to a sensor closer to the engine, before the catalytic converter and "Sensor 2" or "Rear O2 Sensor" is the one after. For example, the Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the rear oxygen sensor of the bank containing the cylinder number 1.

Oxygen Sensor Problems

Oxygen sensor problems are common. A faulty oxygen sensor may cause poor gas mileage, emission test failure and various driveability problems (hesitation, poor acceleration, surging, etc.). If the oxygen sensor has a problem, the "check engine" light on the instrument panel will come on. Here are few examples of engine trouble codes that could be cause by a problem with an oxygen sensor:

P0130 - O2 Sensor Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0131 - O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0132 - O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0133 - O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0134 - O2 Sensor No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

These are examples of the codes related to the front oxygen sensor of the Bank 1. There are separate codes for the rear oxygen sensor and the sensors of the Bank 2.

Re: Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by calculusx(m): 7:49am On Aug 27, 2012
Trouble OBDII Codes and their Meanings

• P0100 - Mass Air Flow Circuit Malfunction

• P0101 - Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

• P0102 - Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit Low

• P0106 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric

• P0116 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Range/Performance

• P0128 - Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

• P0130 - O2 Sensor Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

• P0132 - O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

• P0133 - O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

• P0134 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

• P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

• P0136 - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

• P0141 - O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

• P0153 - O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2, Sensor 1)

• P0154 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

• P0155 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

• P0156 - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

• P0161 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

• P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1)

• P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)

• P0173 - Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 2)

• P0174 - System Too Lean (Bank 2)

• P0300 - Random Cylinder Misfire Detected

• P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

• P0325 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit (Bank 1)

• P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1)

• P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

• P0345 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 2)

• P0400 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow

• P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Insufficient Flow

• P0402 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow Excessive Detected

• P0403 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit

• P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

• P0446 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction

• P0455 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Large Leak/No Flow)

• P0505 - Idle Control System Malfunction

Fore more Trouble Codes, possible cause and solution, pls read more @ http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/codes.html
Re: Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by calculusx(m): 7:53am On Aug 27, 2012
Moderators, how can i move this to Car-Talk Section? I have forgotten there is a new SECTION for Car Talk
Re: Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by olalekanba(m): 1:00pm On Sep 01, 2012
Hi,

are you a auto technician?

I need help in fixing my 4runner asap
Re: Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by calculusx(m): 1:19pm On Sep 01, 2012
olalekanba: Hi,

are you a auto technician?

I need help in fixing my 4runner asap

I'm not an auto technician, i'm an auto dealer and a Car Enthusiast. What year is your 4-Runner as i'm using the 2005 Model SR5 may be its what i can solve or i refer you to my technician in Mandilas.
Re: Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by olalekanba(m): 7:33am On Sep 05, 2012
calculusx:

I'm not an auto technician, i'm an auto dealer and a Car Enthusiast. What year is your 4-Runner as i'm using the 2005 Model SR5 may be its what i can solve or i refer you to my technician in Mandilas.

I am using 2005 SR5 4WD V8 4.7L, it seems my cats have been removed. I might have to change the whole exhaust system, do u have an ideal how much this will cost?

Br
Re: Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by calculusx(m): 9:06am On Sep 05, 2012
olalekanba:

I am using 2005 SR5 4WD V8 4.7L, it seems my cats have been removed. I might have to change the whole exhaust system, do u have an ideal how much this will cost?

Br

Did you buy your SUV form Cotonou cos almost all the cars from cotonou have their CAT Converter removed. You can Call Mr. Festus on 08030619477. Tell him from Fowler.
Re: Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by atikubaba(m): 1:40pm On Aug 31, 2014
k
Re: Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by Nobally: 7:28pm On Mar 09, 2016
Nice thread man, u doing a good job, keep it up
Re: Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes by fazehim(m): 11:33pm On Oct 12, 2022
I dnt knw why my car sensor keeps getting faulty evry time …. If not intake air temperature…it will be mass airflow or oxygen sensor ….

(1) (Reply)

LIVE NIGERIAN SOIL PICS**03 Infiniti Qx4. Divine Pre-order By JIDEWURA of NL**>> / Want To Purchase A Bulldozer Need Help / 2010 Tokunbo Ford F-150. (Price Slash)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.