Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,108 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA (5461 Views)

Terrorists Incur Heavy Casualty In 2 Days Of Nigerian Military Operations - Pics / Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge / Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by mukina2: 12:24pm On Aug 27, 2012
The recent devastating Atlantic Ocean surge at the coastline of Lagos State was natural disaster while the human casualties were man-made, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEAM) has said.

NEMA spokesman Yusha'u Shuaibu said the agency has confirmed the recovery of 9 bodies and blamed residents for carelessness which caused the human casualties.

Shuaibu quoted the agency's Director of Planning Research and Forecasting, Dr. Charles Agbo, as saying "Though 9 bodies have so far being recovered and confirmed by NEMA officials while others, as claimed by residents still missing, the ocean surge at Kuramo beach and other areas of Lagos was natural phenomena while the human casualty could be blamed on carelessness of people living too close to the danger of coastline when early warning alert were raised by appropriate authorities on the effect of climate change and global warming."

The agency said more beaches might be affected by wave tide after the team assessed the impact at the Kuramo Beach and also visited Oniru Private Beach and some parts of Ojo, Badagry, Tarkwa Bay, Maiyegun and Alpha Beach.

NEMA therefore urged effective collaboration among response institutions to ensure the clearing of shanties at the beaches as well as evacuation of people living close to the coastlines. It also called for the removal of ship wrecks that dotted most of the areas.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201208270272.html
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by Businesstools(m): 2:14pm On Aug 27, 2012
We are all aware of that.
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by ochukoccna: 2:24pm On Aug 27, 2012
2 posts and already on the front page shocked shocked embarassed embarassed
Power pass power
Well done muki

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by sdiq: 2:35pm On Aug 27, 2012
why are the people now shouting nonsense
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by mkohagwu(m): 2:36pm On Aug 27, 2012
Lol
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by Femzy24: 2:40pm On Aug 27, 2012
ok o
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by chelseabmw(m): 2:47pm On Aug 27, 2012
ochukoccna: 2 posts and already on the front page shocked shocked embarassed embarassed
Power pass power
Well done muki

for christ sake what should make the front page? Is this information not useful enough to make the frontpage? is it a sin for you to comment first on a thread that meakes the front page.... you can never satisfy people on nairaland...NEVER!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by Okijajuju1(m): 3:15pm On Aug 27, 2012
Whats my business with this?!

Why is it on the front page?!

Na today Lagos begin drown?!!

In 20 - 50 years, the whole of Lagos would be under the sea.. angry
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by NwaNimo1(m): 3:21pm On Aug 27, 2012
Okija_juju: Whats my business with this?!

Na Fashola put am for front page . . . .
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by inspirenet: 3:40pm On Aug 27, 2012
Okay..
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by kunletade(m): 3:42pm On Aug 27, 2012
I fear for the future of lagos!!! Eko atlantic especially, thank God my village is not far
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by In4MATIC1: 3:55pm On Aug 27, 2012
mukina2:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201208270272.html

Ehya, someone is playing word games with the wasted lives of his very own citizens. but i forget... cost of life comes 3 for 5,000.00 in Nigeria. (the "have-nots" life that is). would anybody who had the option of a decent apartment choose the water front instead.
chai Nigeria!
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by olumidazz: 5:03pm On Aug 27, 2012
Is it because the victims built shanties closed to the shores that resulted in the ocean surge abi what nonsense is NEMA saying.
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by lightheart(m): 5:39pm On Aug 27, 2012
See me thinking they've found oil on the moon! grin
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by Abbycite(m): 6:22pm On Aug 27, 2012
olumidazz: Is it because the victims built shanties closed to the shores that resulted in the ocean surge abi what nonsense is NEMA saying.

Are u that daft to understand what d man is saying.....ocean surge is a natural disaster that u can only be safe from by being distant from d ocean......d closer u are, d more danger u're in.....

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 27, 2012
Okija_juju: Whats my business with this?!

What if you and included?
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by 190theclown: 9:03pm On Aug 27, 2012
lol at lagos under the sea
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 27, 2012
I don't get this,do nema mean th sand filling or what?
Re: Lagos Ocean Surge Casualty Man-made - NEMA by chii8(f): 1:12pm On Aug 28, 2012
Temistatics 007: I don't get this,do nema mean th sand filling or what?
read d comment again,u wl get it,been close to d sea shores wl do u no gud

(1) (Reply)

PROOF: Gov Ayodele Fayose Is Using Fake HND Certificate / Who Else Noticed The Big Difference Between European And African Wars / Tension As Nigerians Invade Immigration Office In Abuja: Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.