Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,088 members, 7,818,266 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance (956 Views)

Poll: Who is the better president?

Obasanjo: 88% (8 votes)
Yar' adua: 11% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Jonathan's Legacy Is The Headline In Tanzanian Newspapers (pics) / Turai Yar'dua Also Ignore Protocol, Decended The Plane Before the President?. / What Do You Think Of Yar'dua 's Inaugural Speech? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 2:58am On Jan 02, 2008
Following the firing of the EFCC chairman and the face of Nigeria's fight against corruption, there is a widely held belief that President Yar'dua is about to embark on a wholesale campaign to upstage his mentor- OBJ.

This effort is to take place as increased investigation of close OBJ confidants and relatives, such Iyabo and others.

We could also see a reduction in prosecution of anti-OBJ governors such as Dariye, Ibori, and co.

Given the near stagnant nature of our economy, rate of development, social services, education, power supply, and even banking, is it necessary to have these confrontational comparisons, or are we better off having our President stick to carving out his own niche in the annals of Nigerian history?
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by vigasimple(m): 6:27am On Jan 02, 2008
To me if Yar A'dull is a decent and honest man, he should leave RIBADU as the head of the EFCC because the law is clear about the only two circumstances that he can be removed. He could have well speak with RIBADU to back of IBORI etc and not rock the boat.

The best defence is attack, if mr. President hs declare emergency on electricity and prepare a vision and plan and ordinary Nigerians can see after 7 months maybe he could have been given the benefits of the doubt.

But he has not declare emergency after 7 months, it is either that Mr. President or his cronies do not know the meaning of emergency or they were insincere during campaign about declaring emergency, i will say more like the later.

If there is fire in anyone house literarily would it take 7 months to have action plan so that even a stupid man can see eevn if it takes longer to implement at least people can se the action plan.

Selecting Yar A'dull and OBJ lack of good successor is his major failure. A good leader always prepare and mentor and leave good successor.

You see we can learn something from Our Lord Jesus Christ he assembled 12 discplices from differen background and train them to continue to ministry after his death, he knew that among them there would be Judas Iscariot, the satan and devil, a doubting Thomas but among them is Paul apostle and over 2000 years later because of his vision and legacy the ministration is still going strong all over the world. He may be our Lors in human form but we can learn this from him about mentoring succedding leaders.

I said that even if oBJ has succeded in 3rd term, 4th term, he would have pass away at one point, it wouldn't make a difference unless he has a wothy successor. He only select Yar A'dull because of his OBJ friendhip with Umaro's brother late General Sheu Yar A'dull, I remeber in one of the campaign trip, i think it is in UYO OBJ was campaigning for Umoru and he temporarily forgot himself and ask people to vote for SHEU, that is the true person OBJ want to succeed him. It is not because of Umoru competnce of running one tiny state in the north and first graduate President after 47 years, so Secondary school student can do better.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 7:48am On Jan 02, 2008
vigasimple:

To me if Yar A'dull is a decent and honest man, he should leave RIBADU as the head of the EFCC because the law is clear about the only two circumstances that he can be removed. He could have well speak with RIBADU to back of IBORI etc and not rock the boat.
Selecting Yar A'dull and OBJ lack of good successor is his major failure. A good leader always prepare and mentor and leave good successor.

I said that even if oBJ has succeded in 3rd term, 4th term, he would have pass away at one point, it wouldn't make a difference unless he has a wothy successor. He only select Yar A'dull because of his OBJ friendhip with Umaro's brother late General Sheu Yar A'dull, I remeber in one of the campaign trip, i think it is in UYO OBJ was campaigning for Umoru and he temporarily forgot himself and ask people to vote for SHEU, that is the true person OBJ want to succeed him. It is not because of Umoru competnce of running one tiny state in the north and first graduate President after 47 years, so Secondary school student can do better.

A good leader would start to implement his own plans, massive overhaul of his prediscesor's work would rarely merit an honorable mention by history, especially if these works were popular to the people.

Again, it repeats the question ask earlier on in this forum "who really is Umaru Yar'dua"?

I bet OBJ did not know the answer.

OBJ forgot to think with his brain and not his heart in choosing this man to succeed him.

Either Umaru doesn't understand the details, or he is outrightly antagonistic to OBJ and his policies.

Interestingly, Yar'dua will help define OBJ's legacy as a leader.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by babasin(m): 8:36am On Jan 02, 2008
OBJ forgot to think with his brain and not his heart in choosing this man to succeed him.

is it his father throne?; choosing who to succeed him.

are we not suppose to be in democrazy??

This is worse than any corruption. its PLAN evil!

thats why all this problem started.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 9:29am On Jan 02, 2008
babasin:

is it his father throne?; choosing who to succeed him.
are we not suppose to be in democrazy??
This is worse than any corruption. its PLAN evil!
thats why all this problem started.

You're right. That's my point.

If our leaders in naija take some time to read a little history, they would easily find that right from the ancient Roman and Greek times, finding an annointing someone to takeover from you did not always ensure preservation of your own legacy.

We also see it Enugu state and other places where people thought they were ensuring their own legacy by picking some who otherwise could not grabbed the position.

So, what to do?

Be honest from day one and let the best person who truely merits the position win and succeed you.

This is a lesson our leaders would learn the hard way, not by making people swear aligiance or taking them to Okija or some shrine.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 11:45am On Jan 02, 2008
Can you imagine George Bush or Tony Blair going into some alliance with someone they "prefer" to take over after office?
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by Iman3(m): 11:54am On Jan 02, 2008
naijaking1:

Can you imagine George Bush or Tony Blair going into some alliance with someone they "prefer" to take over after office?

Of course they can do that.The difference with Nigeria is that they can't manipulate the system easily to ensure their anointed person ascends into power.

I believe one of the reasons our leaders "anoint" successors is to protect their private interests which they have acquired while in power.Its also a way for the power hungry to continue to exercise power even beyond their term limit.

OBJ,his family and friends are vulnerable to criminal investigations and prosecutions so having a favored succesor shields them from this.

The "correct" approach from OBJ should have been simply to obtain an assurance that Yar'Adua that he will be shielded from legal proceedings or any other Govt investigations and leave things at that.It is when the "Master" tries to continue excercising power as if he is still in office that things backfire
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 11:59am On Jan 02, 2008
The alliance I referred to is not the same as endorsement.

It's bringing someone who could not and did not go through the primaries on top of others with the sole purpose of forming an alliance to either cover your misdeeds or keep your influence in governmenet after you're gone. Unholy.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 12:38am On Jan 04, 2008
Just picking and chosing Yar'dua simply because of his family ties underscores OBJ's lack of wisdom.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by bawomol(m): 3:05am On Jan 04, 2008
To early to grade yar'dua's performance.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 7:33am On Jan 04, 2008
bawomol:

To early to grade yar'dua's performance.

I don't think it's too early to lay a good foundation.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by almondjoy(f): 1:20pm On Jan 04, 2008
The legacy of OBJ=The south can luckily taste the presidential seat in another 44 years kiss

OBJ thought he could trust Yaradua

he he he he he he he he he smiley
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by deariekay(m): 1:39pm On Jan 04, 2008
YARADUA AS RIGHTLY DESCRIBED IS AN HONEST AND DECENT MAN BUT UNCLE HAS TO ACT FAST .WE WANT TO EXPERIENCE DIFF.THANK GOD THE EMPEROR LIKE PAPA HAS GONE BACK TO HIS ACQUIRED OTTA FARM
UNCLE NEEDS TO BE PROACTIVE,TIME IS GOING,NIGERIANS LOVE HIM AND ARE EXPECTING MUCH FORM HIM.
THE PREDIENCY AND OTHER CABINET ARE SLOW IN DECISION MAKING.]
SOME MINISTERS ARE JUST THERE because SOMEBODY HAS TO BE ON THE HELM OF THE AFFAIR. NIGERIANS AWAIT IMPLEMENTATION OF HIS 7- POINT AGENDA .
WHOEVER HAS UNCLE'S PERSONAL NUMEBR SHOULD PLS INFORM HIM TO DECLARE STATE OF EMERGENCY IN PHCN.WE ARE SUFFERING AND FORM IMPLICATIONS THERE IS TENDENCY OF PAYING HIGHER FOR ELECT. THIS YEAR.
WE LOVE UNCLE BUT ALLAH LOVES HIM BETTER.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by folem: 3:21pm On Jan 04, 2008
naijaking1:

I can imagine George Bush entering into alliance with George W. Bush to take over after him with some election rigging in 2000 (Florida) and 2004 (Ohio) and Bill Clinton also entering into alliance with Hillary Clinton.

Don't be suprised if Hillary Clinton wins U.S election and 8 years down the line Chelsea Clinton is contesting US Presidential Election.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 8:29pm On Jan 04, 2008
What a stretch.

At least you would agree that Bill Clinton did not go into some "alliance" with George W. Bush, given Bush's records against Clinton.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by bawomol(m): 11:37pm On Jan 04, 2008

well then wait one year into his presidency to judge the foundation his policies are laid on.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 12:17am On Jan 05, 2008
bawomol:

well then wait one year into his presidency to judge the foundation his policies are laid on.

One whole year!

It's like asking a sick man to wait one year for treatment because the doctors and nurses are changing shift.
It was supposed to be a smooth transition from one PDP man to another. Umaru Yar'dua does not need one to undo everything OBJ did, or he doesn't understand.

Wait one year for electricity, wait one year to end corruption, wait one year to fix very bad roads all over the nation, wait one year to the implement educational reforms that will upgrade our educational system, wait one year to end the Niger delta problems, wait, wait, and wait until Umaru wakes up?

Guess what, other countries, our competitors are not waiting one year.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by eagleu: 11:56pm On Jan 05, 2008
bawomol:

wait one year, ten years whatever, you go see say pres. Yaradua is no good. Despite university education, he is no better than shagari and other northern semi-illitrates imposed on us by OBJ. First he imposed shagari instead of Awo, now we have this yaradua fool.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 11:57pm On Jan 06, 2008
Both OBJ and Yar'dua seem to reading from the same play book.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by DisGuy: 3:13am On Jan 07, 2008
naijaking1:

Both OBJ and Yar'dua seem to reading from the same play book.

you have to admit his style is somewhat different, it's a bit early but i think if there's a poll he'll score a bit above average (in the Nigerian context), he is following the rule of law he hasn't don't anything way of the mark yet even the removal* of Ribadu

The only thing is others especially state govt and local government are not pulling their weight
plus he is entertaining other experienced[/i]peoples opinion and advice -this is normally a good thing unfortunately majority of those people from previous govt have bad track record and are mainly in for their selfish interest.
who do people seek opinions from in Nigeria anyway?

GB
Gordon Browns govt is not moving particularly fast its just gliding really thanks to the [i]system
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 5:03am On Jan 07, 2008
There would have been no need to compare them at this time if Ya'dua had not started dismantling many of OBJ's popular programs.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by candies(f): 8:07am On Jan 07, 2008
OBJ may have his flaws but he did Nigeria a lot of good.
The other leaders come in, loot and get out without leaving behind any legacy for their predecessor to follow.
In the case of OBJ, he left something for Yar'dua. It now depends on him to follow them up even if he'll make a few changes, it's necessary that he should abide by the original plan and implement them.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by eagleu: 8:22am On Jan 07, 2008
so wetin dey stop Yardua from following the original plan?
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by almondjoy(f): 3:05pm On Jan 07, 2008
eagleu:

so wetin dey stop Yardua from following the original plan?

The Arewa Mafia of course!!!!!
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 3:34am On Jan 08, 2008
@Almondjoy

Does OBJ and Andy Uba belong to this mafia?
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by kosovo(m): 3:27pm On Jan 10, 2008
no body say shit to BABA.
he is nigeria saviour.
bravo BABA, HW is your boy doin (umaru)
WAIT!!
our democracy is just starting and thus should never be compared with that of developedv countries, remember we just a developing country.
BABA GOD BE you. i KNOW THE UNWISE can never see what you have done FOR NIGERIA.
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by supercunt(m): 6:22pm On Jan 10, 2008
grin shocked tongue lipsrsealed cry
Re: Obj's Legacy Vs. Yar'dua Performance by naijaking1: 10:31pm On Jan 10, 2008
kosovo:

no body say shit to BABA.
he is nigeria saviour.
bravo BABA, HW is your boy doin (umaru)
WAIT!!
our democracy is just starting and thus should never be compared with that of developedv countries, remember we just a developing country.
BABA GOD BE you. i KNOW THE UNWISE can never see what you have done FOR NIGERIA.

What do you call this? An ode to BABA?

(1) (Reply)

Obama's Inauguration Details! / Fg Revokes 2 Oil Blocks / Ayo Fayose: The Rejected Stone Now The Capstone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.