Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,409 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney (8053 Views)

Mitt Romney President-Elect Transition Website Leaks Online / Mitt Romney's Loss In Pictures / Barack Obama Vs Mitt Romney : Election Night Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Wizeboy(m): 4:52pm On Aug 28, 2012
In yet another seemingly faux pas moment for the former governor and presidential candidate, Mitt Romney tells a crowd of supporters in Alabama that he can relate to the plight of black individuals because his ancestors were slave owners in the 1800′s.

Mitt Romney was addressing a crowd in Prattville, Alabama this past Monday when he stated:

I understand how difficult it can be for an African-American in today’s society. In fact, I can relate to black people very well indeed. My ancestors once owned slaves, and it is in my lineage to work closely with the black community. However, just because they were freed over a century ago doesn’t mean they can now be freeloaders. They need to be told to work hard, and the incentives just aren’t there for them anymore. When I’m president I plan to work closely with the black community to bring a sense of pride and work ethic back into view for them.

Even though this latest statement by Mitt Romney will undoubtedly be spun so that it will be seen as being taken out of context, someone needs to tell this man to just keep his mouth shut and smile. So far, he has told citizens that he is friends with NASCAR owners, NFL owners, and now that he is related to slave owners. Stick to economic policy Mitt, that’s your strong point. Your history at Bain Capital speaks for itself.

The Romney campaign has yet to release its version of the speech made in Prattville.

SOURCE:
http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/08/28/i-can-relate-black-people-ancestors-owned-slaves-mitt-romney/
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 28, 2012
Mitt Romney: United States version of GEJ.
_
Q: What is the relationship between Mitt Romney and Goodluck Jonathan?
A: They are both clueless and have no brain/mouth filter.

1 Like

Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Wizeboy(m): 6:06pm On Aug 28, 2012
With Mitt Romney's controversy speeches been delivered everyday, does he have any chance of becoming an American president knowing well that at least citizen's opinion count alot in US election.

Here are some other controversy quotes of Mitt Romney in the recent past (While these quotes may not prove that he’s “dumb” or “evil”, they may paint him as out-of-touch and disconnected, both from the electorate, and perhaps even reality):

Don’t try to stop the foreclosure process. Let it run its course and hit the bottom.” Mitt Romney, defending banks and kicking people out of their homes.

“I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.” Romney’s campaign later admitted that they didn’t march on the same day, or in the same city.

“We should double Guantanamo!” Romney on the notion of closing the Guantanamo Bay prison.

"I like those fancy raincoats you bought. Really sprung for the big bucks.” Mitt Romney to a group of NASCAR fans wearing plastic ponchos at the Daytona 500 in February 2012.

“I’m running for office for Pete’s sake, we can’t have illegals.” Mitt Romney, recalling his reaction when he learned that there were illegal aliens working the ground on his property, employed by a firm that he subsequently fired in October 2011.

“We have a president, who I think is is a nice guy, but he spent too much time at Harvard, perhaps.” said Mitt Romney in April 2012, who has two Harvard degrees.

“I like being able to fire people who provide services to me.” Mitt Romney, using a shocking choice of words while advocating for consumer choice in health insurance plans in January 2012.

“I’m not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there.” Mitt Romney on compassion in January 2012.

“[Obama] says we need more firemen, more policemen, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It’s time for us to cut back on government and help the American people.” Mitt Romney advocating for cuts in public service and education at a campaign event in Council Bluffs, Iowa, June 8, 2012.

“I’ll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry’s come back.” Mitt Romney, on the American auto industry, despite having written a New York Times op-ed in 2008 titled “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt,” in which he said if GM, Ford and Chrysler got a government bailout “you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye.”

“[My wife] drives a couple of Cadillacs.” Mitt Romney, campaigning for president in Michigan in February 2012.

“I get speaker’s fees from time to time, but not very much.” Mitt Romney, who earned $374,000 in speaking fees in one year according to according to his own personal financial disclosure in January 2012.

“It’s not worth moving heaven and earth, spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person.” Mitt Romney, speaking in 2007 about the hope of killing Osama bin Laden, who masterminded the largest attack on American soil in modern history.

“I’m Wolf Blitzer and yes, that’s my real name.” CNN’s Wolf Blitzer at the beginning of a November 2011 Republican presidential debate
“I’m Mitt Romney—and yes Wolf, that’s also my first name.” Mitt Romney, getting his own name wrong (his first name is “Willard”.)

“I’m not familiar precisely with what I said, but I’ll stand by what I said, whatever it was.” Mitt Romney on his many, constantly-changing views, on May 17, 2012.

ONLY TIME WILL TELL IF HE WILL GET TO HIS DESIRE POSITION (Becoming an American President)

4 Likes

Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by ektbear: 6:10pm On Aug 28, 2012
Mitt is gaffe-prone like GEJ, but has been a lot more successful in his career prior to his candidacy for presidency than GEJ ever was.

From Bain, to Massachusetts, to the Salt Lake City olympics...dude has always been a winner.

I like the guy, though I prefer Obama.
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by nduchucks: 6:12pm On Aug 28, 2012
This should not hurt Romney. I understand that he has less than 1% of black votes - this is good to energize his base and republicans such as Ekt_bear. lipsrsealed
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by ektbear: 6:14pm On Aug 28, 2012
lmao I'm not a republican.

I'm a libertarian. Fiscally conservative (Republican if you wish), socially liberal (Democratic if you wish).

I tend to side with the Democrats for the most part, though.
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by 4Play(m): 6:43pm On Aug 28, 2012
Where is the direct quote? No point wasting time debating a phantom quote.
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by cheddarking(m): 7:42pm On Aug 28, 2012
Ahahahahaha....

LMFAO!

Oh my Lord, What a Gaffe!

*Insert Garri Related Joke Here*
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Callotti: 7:43pm On Aug 28, 2012
Gooooooooooooooooooooo Romney! The truth is bitter! ALWAYS!!!
When a white man mentions the word 'slave'. . . it becomes taboo!
I dey your side jare! kiss

You don't need 'Black votes' sir! They make up only 13%. . .half of that 13 are in JAIL!!! That leaves only 6% who are still 'slaves'!

You don't need 'Hispanic votes' either. [size=16pt]"WET BACKS"[/size] do not count! 90% of them are illegal residents with Mexican Drivers' licenses!!! cheesy

Just make sure EVERYONE has a VALID driver's license and is a REGISTERED voter.
All the 'illegal' votes will vanish prior to November!!! grin

3 Likes

Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by deshclones(m): 7:57pm On Aug 28, 2012
Callotti: Gooooooooooooooooooooo Romney! The truth is bitter! ALWAYS!!!

You don't need 'Black votes' sir! They make up only 13%. . .half of that 13 are in JAIL!!! That leaves only 6% who are still 'slaves'!

You don't need 'Hispanic votes' either. [size=16pt]"WET BACKS"[/size] do not count! 90% of them are illegal residents with Mexican Drivers' licenses!!! cheesy

Th certified biatch is back....seems your case defied your present psychiatrist..welcome back...

3 Likes

Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Callotti: 8:00pm On Aug 28, 2012
deshclones:

The certified biatch is back....seems your case defied your present psychiatrist..welcome back...

Yesssoh! Back with the most vicious 'swag'!!! cool
Pray HAAAAAAAAARRDER! kiss I left YOUR MAMMA there to be fi-ng-ered by the aides feeding her through the 'anu-s pipe', since her mouth is ALL ABUSED UP! kiss
Back with more ammunition. . .feel free to try ya luck!
Thanks for the welcome 'fan'! C'mon face the topic. YOU DEGENERATE SWINE HERD!!!kiss

(Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Unlike)

*btw. . .that lonely 1-LIKE was from me*
wink
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by ektbear: 8:07pm On Aug 28, 2012
Callotti:
True.

Not quite true. Need the Cubans to win Florida...alienating them is not wise.
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Callotti: 8:10pm On Aug 28, 2012
ekt_bear:
True.

Not quite true. Need the Cubans to win Florida...alienating them is not wise.

At least. . .I got it 50% right! That is a start. grin
We shall see. . .this is gonna be innaresting!
Lerrus see if Florida can be worn by ILLEGAL residents who CAN'T VOTE!!! wink
Now, pay attention my 'friend'!

http://newsone.com/1564125/gop-voter-registration-laws/

The report also projects that the new laws will have an impact on minority voters. [size=16pt]According to the Brennan Center, African-Americans and Hispanics are more likely to register to vote during voter registration drives in Florida,[/size] and new photo I.D. requirements in Texas do not include forms of identification heavily used by minorities. The report points to new laws requiring photo identification to vote in Alabama, Kansas, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin that would limit voting to up to 3.2 million citizens who do not have government-issued photo I.D. The report did not include Rhode Island’s new photo identification law, which allows for non-governmental photo I.D.s to be used for voting, saying that the state’s law does not have the same requirements as measures elsewhere. Prior to 2011, only Indiana and Georgia had photo I.D. laws on the books.

wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

Read more here:

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/v/voter_registration_and_requirements/index.html
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by druid06(m): 9:09pm On Aug 28, 2012
Mitt is a republican. A republican values is conservative. one of their believe is that African-americans are not developed to handle political post, they believe the black race is a child and need to be forced to work and develope and in a way, their values are a 100% correct. Go to the U.S of A and see what our brothers there are causing. They cause harm and dismay to people of their race and people of other races. 64% of inmates in correctional facilities are blacks and 80% of domestic crimes are caused by this same people so I don't see his statement as racist but the simple truth. I prefer the conservative values than that of a liberal. Liberals/Democrats like obama is all talk.
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by ayox2003: 9:19pm On Aug 28, 2012
This man sha.

"They were once slaves" and you're contesting with a slave now?

No room for romney!

He's just too conservative.

Frawzey
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Callotti: 11:48pm On Aug 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC4dgFOGGRg&feature=related

Black people. . .leave 'sentiments' and face the REALITY ON GROUND. . .No 'illegal' or 'underage' voters! kiss

Democrats. . .NO CHEATING PLEASE!!! wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmGrdqY0Oto&feature=related
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by PhysicsQED(m): 12:28am On Aug 29, 2012
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Nobody: 12:29am On Aug 29, 2012
Ha ha ha!!! Another gaffe from Romney. Keep doing this, and O-bomber will surely win a second term. Lmao!!!
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by redsun(m): 12:46am On Aug 29, 2012
If this man by any chance become america president,he will take the known way back into time.He will cause a catastrophic third world war that will seal the faith of man.An undesirable,just like nigerian politicians.

He is a neo "nazist".
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by redsun(m): 12:54am On Aug 29, 2012
Thhis muderfucker sounds like bill oreiley of fox news.And he wants to become american president in 21st century world?Is america going backward?Is it becoming a nazi state like slavery time?Or is this statement just a prank by his political opponets or some pranksters?
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by manny4life(m): 1:03am On Aug 29, 2012

Wow, 13% are black? Where you get your info, idk

You forgot so quickly about minorities including women and immigrants, right? Stay there, Romney will be left behind soon. Well, till the courts rule in the favor of Obama, we shall know. After all, when SCOTUS sided Obamacare and immigration, where was Romney? Lol, come November, I'll go cast my vote...
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Caesar1988(m): 1:08am On Aug 29, 2012

may u never see d light of 2013 for cursing black pple...Our God will send u to where u belong bfor time..u just cursed a whole generation of urs because Romney can never ever win obama.....U will die....ur whole lineage will perish...Amen
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by FSU: 1:18am On Aug 29, 2012
I guess African immigrants such as Nigerians in the US should be more interested in who provides them with good jobs than in a president whose skin looks like theirs. Obama, though my favorite just because he is a very lively fellow, appears incapable of rescuing the economy. In contrast, Romney has a better grasp of the economy, but the White House will be so dull and bland with him there.

Give and take, I predict a tough battle in which Obama will win, but then another four more years of bitter NRC-NDC wrangling in the parliament when nothing gets done.
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by PhysicsQED(m): 2:27am On Aug 29, 2012
The story is actually false. I just came across something debunking it:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/romney/blackcommunity.asp
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Wizeboy(m): 8:45am On Aug 29, 2012
PhysicsQED: The story is actually false. I just came across something debunking it:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/romney/blackcommunity.asp
Is the information is false, they should have published the original speech made by Mitt Romney then (that is the only way to debunk this). How credible is the site debunking comment credited to Mitt Romney and moreso, how are you sure, the site does not belong to one of his supporter.
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by redsun(m): 8:56am On Aug 29, 2012
druid06: Mitt is a republican. A republican values is conservative. one of their believe is that African-americans are not developed to handle political post, they believe the black race is a child and need to be forced to work and develope and in a way, their values are a 100% correct. Go to the U.S of A and see what our brothers there are causing. They cause harm and dismay to people of their race and people of other races. 64% of inmates in correctional facilities are blacks and 80% of domestic crimes are caused by this same people so I don't see his statement as racist but the simple truth. I prefer the conservative values than that of a liberal. Liberals/Democrats like obama is all talk.

You are a typical mentally enslaved wannabe uppity.When you point fingers at others,you forget people point fingers at you.

When oyinbo mean blacks,you are well included,irrespective of your slave warder's job.
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by PhysicsQED(m): 8:21pm On Aug 29, 2012
Wizeboy: Is the information is false, they should have published the original speech made by Mitt Romney then (that is the only way to debunk this). How credible is the site debunking comment credited to Mitt Romney and moreso, how are you sure, the site does not belong to one of his supporter.

First, snopes is a myth/rumor debunking website that was around well before Romney ran for president. The site is credible enough in my view.

Second, actually the burden of proof is on those who cooked up the story to provide real evidence of the speech. There is no evidence that there is even an "original speech" that they altered - it seems that whoever made the speech just made it up out of thin air. The Nigerian news website cited in the opening post of this thread and other websites all cite the same spoof/satirical news website as their source for this information, so all these news reports are based on a joke news site.

Third, I don't actually like Mitt Romney. In fact, I started a thread dedicated specifically to pointing out how dumb some of the things he says are (https://www.nairaland.com/1006577/dumb-mitt-romney-quotes-funny). That doesn't mean I'll support a false and inflammatory rumor against him when there's evidence that it's false though.
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Nobody: 3:32am On Aug 30, 2012
Callotti:

(Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Unlike)

*btw. . .that lonely 1-LIKE was from me*
wink

This is so freaking clever.....I'm stealing!! smiley
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Callotti: 3:59am On Aug 30, 2012
Caesar1988: may u never see d light of 2013 for cursing black pple...Our God will send u to where u belong bfor time..u just cursed a whole generation of urs because Romney can never ever win obama.....U will die....ur whole lineage will perish...Amen

. . .And who is this dilapidated m0r0n? undecided
Where did I curse black people?
You think you we are talking 'Ikemba WURU-WURU', runaway Biafra-Abijan politics here? cheesy

Back to you.
May you receive the most dreadful phone-call of your own signed, sealed and delivered death-warrant FROM YOUR GOD AND HIS DEPUTY SATAN by the end of this day. . .wherever you may live. May your obituary be a sheer source of joy to even your loved ones. . . if you have any. Iseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! kiss
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Callotti: 4:10am On Aug 30, 2012
manny4life:

Wow, 13% are black? Where you get your info, idk

You forgot so quickly about minorities including women and immigrants, right? Stay there, Romney will be left behind soon. Well, till the courts rule in the favor of Obama, we shall know. After all, when SCOTUS sided Obamacare and immigration, where was Romney? Lol, come November, I'll go cast my vote...

Black Americans

[size=20pt]About 12.4% of the American people (37.6 million, including about 885,000 Hispanic or Latino) are Black or African American.[/size][6] Also known more simply as Black Americans, the Black or African American group is the largest racial minority, as opposed to Hispanics and Latinos, who are the largest ethnic minority. Historically, any person with any sub-Saharan African ancestry, even if they were mostly white, were designated and classified as "Black", according to the "one drop rule". Today, racial categorization depends on self-ascription.[3] Three major subgroups come under the rubric of Black American.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_demographics_of_the_United_States

I hope your precious time is spent well off Nairaland. Simple google would have educated you. Going to vote is not the problem. . .it is knowing WHY you are voting that most people get it sooooooooo wrong. UNLESS YOU ARE AN ILLEGAL RESIDENT OF THE US.

I hope you have a legal form of identification my good old friend? Or, make sure you have sold all your property in the US before being captured at the voting booth for being illegal. . .you are no longer a minor and Obama's immigration reforms may not cater to your needs.

Just saying. . . . tongue

More education:

The non-Hispanic White percentage (66% in 2008[5]) tends to decrease every year, and this sub-group is expected to become a plurality of the overall U.S. population after the year 2050. [size=20pt]However, White Americans overall (non-Hispanic Whites together with White Hispanics) will remain the majority, at 73.1% (or 303 million out of 420 million) in 2050, from its current, official 80%.[/size][15][16]

Obama could not have won the POTUS if WHITES did not bless him with that priviledge. . . your vote means nothing then.

More to come. kiss
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Callotti: 4:19am On Aug 30, 2012
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/29/13555686-mccain-returns-to-gop-convention-in-different-role?lite

[size=20pt]This year, McCain was here in a different capacity – as Mitt Romney’s chief foreign policy attack dog, leveling harsh criticism of President Obama, the man who defeated him in 2008.[/size]

He casually charged that because of withdrawing from Afghanistan, “the president discourages our friends and emboldens our enemies.”

Because of Obama’s stance on Syria, McCain said, “Our president is not being true to our values.”

He said he trusts Mitt Romney to lead and without American leadership, “the world will grow darker, poorer and much more dangerous.”

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/29/13557231-paul-ryan-accepts-gop-vice-presidential-nomination?lite

[size=20pt]Ryan Grabs Spotlight, Rips Obama[/size]

The GOP candidate for vice president addressed the Republican National Convention Wednesday night, criticizing the president on the economy & more.
Ryan's speech, arguably the most important of his political career, leveled an indictment of President Barack Obama on taxes, entitlement and energy while acclaiming Romney as a decisive leader and the best-suited candidate to lead a turnaround in the economy.

[size=20pt]"These past four years we have suffered no shortage of words in the White House," he said. "What’s missing is leadership in the White House!"[/size]

Where is your black power? tongue
The typical American on the street is a flip-flopper. . . watch out!
I pray for UNA Obama.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ROMNEY!!! cool
Re: I Can Relate To Black People, My Ancestors Once Owned Slaves – Mitt Romney by Callotti: 4:24am On Aug 30, 2012
Shollypopz:

This is so freaking clever.....I'm stealing!! smiley

I gave him that 1-like for real o!
Mu he he he he he grin
I don't steal. . .ON OR OFFLINE. kiss

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osama Bin Laden Is Not Dead / Berlusconi To Pay Ex-wife $48M A Year Divorce Settlement! / Donald Trump Full Speech On Why He Hates Blacks And Arabs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.