Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,689 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

'long Life'is It Hereditary? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 'long Life'is It Hereditary? (1665 Views)

Being Gay Is A Choice, Not Genetic Or Hereditary - Ben Carson(gifted Hands) / Could '4:30 Eyes' Be Hereditary? / Divorce In Marriage In The Part Of Women,is It Hereditary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'long Life'is It Hereditary? by ZackiGp(m): 6:17am On Aug 30, 2012
I once heard a man said in his family dey live long nd so he is also goin 2 live long. This question has being on my mind since i was young,i rily want 2 know why some families live long while other families dnt attain certain age b4 dey die.
Can long life be inherited?
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 30, 2012
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by ZackiGp(m): 10:20am On Aug 30, 2012
To a certain degree, i believe so. All my mums siblings are in the seventies and late eighties and they all all very active and healthy. Walk to church every week and other places. My grandparents on my mothers side ived well into old age too.

Some diseases which tend to cut peoples lives down short such as breast cancers tend to run in families. [/quote]SO DO U TINK it is GENETICALLY related?is there gene code far long life dat can be passed 2 progeny or offspring?
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by Nobody: 10:35am On Aug 30, 2012
Yes, It is possible to inherit long life as you put it. There are genes that work to bring about longevity. These genes help in boosting the immune system and reducing the predisposition to age-related disorders in an individual. They also cause general aging of the cells in the body to occur at a slower rate.
But if you find that longevity genes do not run in your family, you don't have to be sad. You can adopt a healthy lifestyle; eat healthy and exercise, to help your body stay fit for a long time (to live long).
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by ZackiGp(m): 1:23pm On Aug 30, 2012
fellis: Yes, It is possible to inherit long life as you put it. There are genes that work to bring about longevity. These genes help in boosting the immune system and reducing the predisposition to age-related disorders in an individual. They also cause general aging of the cells in the body to occur at a slower rate.
But if you find that longevity genes do not run in your family, you don't have to be sad. You can adopt a healthy lifestyle; eat healthy and exercise, to help your body stay fit for a long time (to live long).
what happend 2 dis individual wit such gene during automobile accident or plane crashes?besides,if i eat good food nd acquire longevity,wat happens 2 my next generatn/progeny,since acquired trait cant be passed/inherited?
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 30, 2012
ZackiGp: what happend 2 dis individual wit such gene during automobile accident or plane crashes?
lol. Longevity genes can't help them in that situation.
ZackiGp: besides,if i eat good food nd acquire longevity,wat happens 2 my next generatn/progeny,since acquired trait cant be passed/inherited?
Tell your progeny to also eat good food and exercise so they live long. Even if you cannot pass acquired traits to them, you can pass your knowledge to them.
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by nyameke: 5:20pm On Aug 30, 2012
No sir.. Only a healthy lifestyle, right mindset or decisions and beliefs about life will make you live long..
Coupled with all this the most important is to be active and be progressive or you die..

A fact of life is, anything that stops being active and moving, stops living and therefore dies.. One reason why people in the villages and countrsides tend to live longer, is because of their active lifestyle. There is nothing like retirement in those places..You will see a seventy yrs old woman or man still attending to their farms and other things and most look nothing like in their seventies..

Most people that retires die early especially if they don't have other things going on in their life. These people on the average die within five and 7 years after retirement because of their inactivity. When you retire and starts doing nothing you are indirectly telling the universe or nature that you have no passion left and nothing else to live for. Natures listens and takes the inevitable action, DEATH!!
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by nyameke: 5:32pm On Aug 30, 2012
chaircover: To a certain degree, i believe so. All my mums siblings are in the seventies and late eighties and they all all very active and healthy. Walk to church every week and other places. My grandparents on my mothers side lived well into old age too.

Some diseases which tend to cut peoples lives down short such as breast cancers tend to run in families.
Your mums siblings are not living long because of heredity but simple because of the reasons you stated. Active lifestyles!! Among other things they are just following one of the rules of life knowingly or unknowingly..
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 30, 2012
nyameke: Your mums siblings are not living long because of heredity but simple because of the reasons you stated. Active lifestyles!! Among other things they are just following one of the rules of life knowingly or unknowingly..
Please stop it, longevity genes exist. This is something scientists have researched and found to be true.
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by nyameke: 5:58pm On Aug 30, 2012
fellis:
Please stop it, longevity genes exist. This is something scientists have researched and found to be true.
of course I know " longevity genes"exist and have been a lot of research about it but I am giving you the bigger picture.. Trust me so called "longevity genes" would not help anyone if they stop living an active lifestyle
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Aug 30, 2012
Ok, I get your point.
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by 2mch(m): 6:28pm On Aug 30, 2012
Yes it is. Some families are genetically predisposed to some illnesses that may shorten their life span. E.g some cancers, HBP and Diabetes. See President Carter's family history for reference. There are some families who genetically have excellent health and long life. We should all find them and dilute their genes.
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Aug 30, 2012
2mch: Yes it is. Some families are genetically predisposed to some illnesses that may shorten their life span. E.g some cancers, HBP and Diabetes. See President Carter's family history for reference. There are some families who genetically have excellent health and long life. We should all find them and dilute their genes.
Lol. Why not try to live long by having a healthy lifestyle instead of the badbelle?
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by ZackiGp(m): 7:00pm On Aug 30, 2012
fellis:
if longevity gene do exist,why do pple stil pray 4 long life?mayb dis shd b a basis/factor for selecting ones partner nd nt jt genotype.
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 30, 2012
ZackiGp: if longevity gene do exist,why do pple stil pray 4 long life?mayb dis shd b a basis/factor for selecting ones partner nd nt jt genotype.
I believe the reason why people pray is because they believe that with God all things are possible and hence, that God can give them a long life regardless of whether they have longevity genes or not.
As for making it a basis for choosing a partner, you can do that if you like. It's your choice.
Re: 'long Life'is It Hereditary? by maclatunji: 2:49pm On Aug 31, 2012
Nice thread. @Fellis is on point in many regards, can't quote everything.

(1) (Reply)

Divorce Or Till Death Do Us Part? / Mother Hold Daughter Down So Boyfriend Can R*pe Her / My Friend Is Desperate,willing To Die To Save Her Marriage,pls Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.