Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,283 members, 7,826,115 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct (10812 Views)

Tompolo: Armed Youths Blow-up Pipeline, Oil Facilities In Delta / Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct / Probes That Have Gone: Extinct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by reindeer: 6:44pm On Aug 30, 2012
So i guess this makes El-Rufai a good manager and visionary in Abuja and his current guy useless.
No. . .the bigots here don't think he achieved anything.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by COOLDUN: 7:02pm On Aug 30, 2012
Take my word or leave it, Nigeria is a failed state. Abuja was rushed in by IBB for selfish reason to be safer and hold on to power till he dies. Abuja was a long time project which IBB pumped in much money and relocated the capital prematurely which is one of the economical sickness the country is suffering from today. How can you build what you cannot maintain? We want to be the best capital without commitment to maintain the infrastructures which we built. Nigeria has two options to move ahead.

1: To peacefully disintegrate so that people can go and take their destinies into their hands.

2: To fully privatize the country as a whole. So that highest bidder could come in and develop the country for his profit, because anyone that invest his money wouldn’t like the country to rotten away it is today. Imagine the Abuja national stadium that was built with billions of Naira is a dead project today.

If the nation’s capital is facing this kind of infrastructural decays , then tell us where that is safe in Nigeria?
This country is not functioning, that is what the rulers know very well, but the ruled do not know this, that is why they ruled are hoping that one day it will be good. When will this one day be?

What we have here is a looter's kingdom, if you can bulldoze your way through to the looting class, then you will be working tirelessly to keep the country together. 52 yrs of Independence still begging for a steady light, while the countries we fought for their Independence are celebrating many years of steady light. Nigerian’s basic amenities are being used for political campaign promises.

Hatred, Tribalism, and oppression everywhere, while we still pretend to be one.Nigeria is a failed state.Take it or leave, the truth remains the same.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by anonimi: 7:08pm On Aug 30, 2012
That is why the need for mass education in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) cannot be overstated. We simply do not have the capacity, as a nation to maintain the facilities and gadgets we import from the white and yellow people.
Meanwhile elRufai has made off with the money while today he is shouting himself hoarse on corruption!
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by dasparrow: 7:18pm On Aug 30, 2012
COOLDUN: Take my word or leave it, Nigeria is a failed state. Abuja was rushed in by IBB for selfish reason to be safer and hold on to power till he dies. Abuja was a long time project which IBB pumped in much money and relocated the capital prematurely which is one of the economical sickness the country is suffering from today. How can you build what you cannot maintain? We want to be the best capital without commitment to maintain the infrastructures which we built. Nigeria has two options to move ahead.

1: To peacefully disintegrate so that people can go and take their destinies into their hands.

2: To fully privatize the country as a whole. So that highest bidder could come in and develop the country for his profit, because anyone that invest his money wouldn’t like the country to rotten away it is today. Imagine the Abuja national stadium that was built with billions of Naira is a dead project today.

If the nation’s capital is facing this kind of infrastructural decays , then tell us where that is safe in Nigeria?
This country is not functioning, that is what the rulers know very well, but the ruled do not know this, that is why they ruled are hoping that one day it will be good. When will this one day be?

What we have here is a looter's kingdom, if you can bulldoze your way through to the looting class, then you will be working tirelessly to keep the country together. 52 yrs of Independence still begging for a steady light, while the countries we fought for their Independence are celebrating many years of steady light. Nigerian’s basic amenities are being used for political campaign promises.

Hatred, Tribalism, and oppression everywhere, while we still pretend to be one.Nigeria is a failed state.Take it or leave, the truth remains the same.

Very well said.
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by duni04(m): 7:21pm On Aug 30, 2012
Everybody just wants to chop..chop..chop.. and chop. Nobody's thinking about the future, its just to chop and pack as much as can last five generations. This third world mentality is really depressing. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by duni04(m): 7:33pm On Aug 30, 2012
anonimi: That is why the need for mass education in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) cannot be overstated. We simply do not have the capacity, as a nation to maintain the facilities and gadgets we import from the white and yellow people.
Meanwhile elRufai has made off with the money while today he is shouting himself hoarse on corruption!
We aren't lacking the capacity to do anything, we're just too unwilling and greedy to do the right thing. Everybody wants to cheat the system and make as much as possible and buy fancy houses and drive expensive cars and if possible, steal as much as can last their fourth and fifth generations. The funny thing is contracts are actually awarded for all these things but the people just bolt away with the money. Its just sad cry
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by werepeLeri: 8:33pm On Aug 30, 2012
Story Story - if you are in government, swear on your mother's head that you wont steal a dime of government money. ITs good to talk talk and talk but when you get there, you do worse than those you spoke against.
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by PROUDIGBO(m): 8:49pm On Aug 30, 2012
When you check pics of Abuja on skyscrapercity and other such sites, what strikes you is the lack of maintainance of public infrastructure. We want a world-class city comparable to the likes of London, Paris and Washington (don't laugh abeg), yet we don't take care of even little things like street and traffic lights, litter free sidewalks, well trimmed and maintained grass verges, signages for streets and businesses, zero tolerance for the indiscriminate pasting of posters on flyovers and just about any space the culprits can find, etc.

There seems to be something about Nigerians (both gov't and private individuals) that prevents us from keeping the public/general environment spotless and clean, yet when we go abroad we behave properly .

Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by s3nn2x(m): 9:43pm On Aug 30, 2012
I don't know about the various public facilities that have gone extinct, but the one I can talk about is the Elrufai buses, seriously, where are they. Those buses really made my stay in University of Abuja and Abuja as a whole memorable, with cheaper fares and more comfort, but now I the Yellow buses are nowhere to be found. Those buses were everywhere in the city, the Red, Green and Yellow ones, but I find it hard to believe that in less than 7 years, the scheme failed.
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by EdDave(m): 9:43pm On Aug 30, 2012
danjumaali: This reveal our lack of Maintanance Culture and absence of continuity in our programs and policies.Well i believe this should be a wake up call,hoping the people at the helms of affairs do something to correct this anomaly.
And make sure we don't come back to complain about presently ungoing projects that will also decay tomorrow.
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by slyfox1974(m): 10:23pm On Aug 30, 2012
THIS IS WHAT U GET WHEN AN IRESPONSIBLE PLAYBOY IS AT THE HElm of affairs of[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] the fct
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by Nobody: 10:26pm On Aug 30, 2012
Sweet old days we used to browse for free at Millenium Park and the Park close to Berger junction.
Whatever happened to the free wifi?
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by Agiliti(m): 1:07am On Aug 31, 2012
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by donclemo(m): 3:02am On Aug 31, 2012
It is so sad we dont have maintenance culture i used the toilet in abuja airport you can believe the flushing system wasn't working it was kettle i used to flush toilet . Go to other international airport people are cleaning the toilets 24hrs round the clock
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by Sarauniya(f): 8:03am On Aug 31, 2012
Just call a spade a spade. El-rufai was the best thing to happen to abuja. Love him or hate him, he got the job done! Ever since he left, its been one idiot after the other. El rufai made abuja what it is and he had amazing vision. Its sad that honest men don't get far in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by werepeLeri: 8:39am On Aug 31, 2012
Sarauniya: Just call a spade a spade. El-rufai was the best thing to happen to abuja. Love him or hate him, he got the job done! Ever since he left, its been one idiot after the other. El rufai made abuja what it is and he had amazing vision. Its sad that honest men don't get far in Nigeria.

Yeah right - and became a billionaire in the process.
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by Moralistli(m): 9:09am On Aug 31, 2012
Nice survey,,,,,,,,,,,,, capture states too please,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by erico2k2(m): 9:55am On Aug 31, 2012
This is what happened when everybody depends on Govt for all services, those thieves who stole money meant for the common man where are they? cant they at least invest back into the society they stole from?.Transport could be taken upon by any private individual, why aint that not happening
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by nagoma(m): 10:07am On Aug 31, 2012
Sarauniya: Just call a spade a spade. El-rufai was the best thing to happen to abuja. Love him or hate him, he got the job done! Ever since he left, its been one idiot after the other. El rufai made abuja what it is and he had amazing vision. Its sad that honest men don't get far in Nigeria.

You are perfectly right and what he ( el- Rufai) said about Jonathan's government will also come to pass. Nigerians, including the bigots and the haters, will recall his alerts in hind sight.
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by Yaya6: 11:12am On Aug 31, 2012
DIG1: Some of what d OP highlighted is true, but don't take away d fact dat dere are some improvement in some key areas such as expansion of roads (kubwa Απϑ airport road), security (d police were given brand new Toyota 2010 cars 4 patrol), mini buses were introduced Απϑ opening of other satellite town, though much need τ̅☺ be provided Απϑ improved, Abj will get τ̅☺ d promise land some ϑάγ̲̣̣̥..

Gbam!!!
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by Callotti: 11:43am On Aug 31, 2012
This is to be expected. Nigeria like ANYTHING BLACK lack maintenance culture. . .only to build.
See other cultures even at 50 years of age. cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ELrLJZH_AY

As old as it is.

I pity the BLACK RACE. I don't know if there is any hope and from 'whence it commeth'!
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by YemiAdisa(m): 11:48am On Aug 31, 2012
erico2k2: This is what happened when everybody depends on Govt for all services, those thieves who stole money meant for the common man where are they? cant they at least invest back into the society they stole from?.Transport could be taken upon by any private individual, why aint that not happening

Exactly! I wonder why you guys are surprised at this latest development in Abuja. I have been expecting this and I knew it will happen because this is the exact stuff you get when the Govt is in charge of every goddamn thing. Basic services such as 1. Road maintenance, 2. Traffic lights, 3. City taxi/cab, 4. City bus should have been contracted or leased to private companies.
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by naja2: 12:57pm On Aug 31, 2012
I live in Abuja, call Elrufai any name you want but one thing you cant take away from him , is his performance as FCT minister there has been none before him and after him there hasnt been any like him. El rufais legacies are all over Abuja b4 he came in, Abuja was almost becoming like the then Lagos, but he changed everything, built roads , opened up new areas, built capacity for govt agencies that were hitherto channels for siphoning money into proper service rendering agancies. In saner climes someone like Elrufai , brilliant courageous, articulate and slightly honest will have a job for life, but he is the only fct minister being haunted for corruption whereas the real criminals are allowed to go and enjoy their loot in peace. the Bunus, moddibos,aleiros who did nothing for the FCT but steal and allocated lands to themselves and their cronies are living in peace. Bala in my opinion is the worst FCT minister ever , no agenda no plan just kissing the behind of the first family and looting. How i wish GEJ will make hime minister of transport or something else and give FCT a proper minister that it deserves.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by naja2: 1:06pm On Aug 31, 2012
werepeLeri:

Yeah right - and became a billionaire in the process.
Pls can you prove forst that Elrufai is A BILLIONAIRE AND THAT HE MADE THE BILLIONS FROM GOVT. Cos i know his house in Jabi district a modest four bedroom duplex that is not near the best on his street.
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by seunfly: 10:12pm On Aug 31, 2012
Emmy9ite: Op is very correct, especially the 'el rufai buses', they are going extinct! Nevertheless, Abj still has good roads,magnificent buildings and estates,constant water supply and electricity. It is really growing fast!
that is true even though Hon minister need to do alot interms of road furnitures, public toilet especialy wuse park and barger also the central city needs serious discongestion especialy ruthless and careless ARABA driver. But the city is glamorous, beautifull, and elegant which boost of the most modern buildings in Africa (wikipedia), beautifull landscape design especialy raining season, well organised city(elrufai bus and subsidy bus) it has the best road west africa and only j borg can beat it interm of road. So in few african cities ave been 2 including South Africa i still rate it 8+ or 9--
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by berildan(m): 1:15am On Sep 01, 2012
While I cannot really say much about the state of infrastructure in ABJ, as a resident I can say that the nature of power supply has improved tremendously. In the last one week, there has been less than 10 hours of power outage where I live (there are 168 hours in a week) and that is somewhat commendable for a developing capital city for me. This is compared to the epileptic nature of power supply in the past.
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by poopppyLiillyy: 3:09am On Sep 01, 2012
crybut when will God Save nigeria from these corrupt,blood-suckers,selfish,greedy and devilish leaders!!!...its getting out of hand and so unfair!this country has no future and its jst like our children to come ar doomed![color=#990000][/color]
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by werepeLeri: 8:26am On Sep 01, 2012
naja2: Pls can you prove forst that Elrufai is A BILLIONAIRE AND THAT HE MADE THE BILLIONS FROM GOVT. Cos i know his house in Jabi district a modest four bedroom duplex that is not near the best on his street.

LOL. Prove first that he is not. So because he lives in a "modest" four bedroom duplex means?
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by werepeLeri: 8:29am On Sep 01, 2012
nagoma:

You are perfectly right and what he ( el- Rufai) said about Jonathan's government will also come to pass. Nigerians, including the bigots and the haters, will recall his alerts in hind sight.

and what did he say? The man with double mouth who once said Buhari is not electable who is now touting the same Buhari as the best Presidential candidate for Nigeria.
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by olawalebabs(m): 8:39pm On Jan 22, 2015
olawalebabs:
Eight Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct In Abuja

Nigeria’s capital city, Abuja, is deteriorating and the meagre infrastructure are going extinct.By Emmanuel Ogala

Since 2009 when infrastructural development peaked in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital city, the city has witnessed continued decline in public infrastructure development and an extinction of existing ones.

These facilities were meant to make the Nigerian capital comparable to capital cities worldwide, and also enable residents enjoy the benefits of living in modern city. However, many of them are now defunct.

Here is a list of eight public facilities that no longer exist in the city of Abuja.

CT Call centre (09-4603600-9)

Abuja city had a call centre that responded to enquiries, listened to complaints and took down suggestions. Although the call centre office still exists, with Jumai Ahmadu as head, they no longer take calls. The call centre infrastructure is now dysfunctional.

Public Wi-Fi
In 2006, the Federal Capital Territory Authority (FCTA) and Suburban Broadband Limited (b2) entered a $5 million partnership to develop a city-wide Wi-Fi service in Abuja.

The pilot phase of the project deployed six hot spots in the city, at – Millennium Park; FCDA (Federal Capital Development Authority) Secretariat in Area 1; Model Secondary School, Maitama; National Children’s Park and Zoo, Asokoro; Kadanya Street, Life Camp; and Old Federal Secretariat, Garki, Area 1. Up till 2009, you could still access free wireless internet services at the Millennium Park. The project did not continue and the services have been shut down.

Traffic lights

A larger proportion of the robots installed to control traffic in Abuja have broken down. They are neither replaced nor maintained.

Nowadays, traffic wardens (police, beggars or concerned Nigerians) control traffic at major junctions on the streets of Abuja. In some instances the wardens are absent and drivers use their discretion to safely navigate junctions.

Road signs and directions

Abuja is fondly described as the fastest growing city in Africa by its officials; however the city is practically un-navigable by untrained minds.

The city, unlike others around the world, lacks user friendly road signs. In the few areas where road signs currently exist, a road user would have sped past it before decoding its directions.

Also, roads change frequently in the city due to construction works and fear of Boko Haram, but city officials have failed to update the signs. A great percentage of the existing few have also suffered serious wear and tear.

Queen’s taxi

Once upon a time, Abuja city had London style Queen’s taxi, ferrying passengers between the streets of Maitama and Wuse market. The remains of these taxis are parked in a garage popular for old public transport vehicles along Kubwa road.

Street lights

The current minister of FCT, Bala Mohammed, once told a senate committee that lighting up street lights in Abuja was contracted out to different (energy) companies. According to the minister, the street lights could not rely on electrical energy supplied by government’s energy company, the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN).

Despite the use of generators, street lights are rare and erratic on Abuja streets at night. Street lights are only stable in high end areas of the city

Elrufai Buses

Back in the days, 2009 and earlier, hundreds of public buses, the greens and the reds, lined roads to Abuja’s three gateway suburbs, transporting workers to and fro the city centre. These days, only a few of the red buses still manage to work two of the routes. The greens are completely extinct.

Elrufai taxi

These Peugeot 306 wagons, also imported in hundreds, were managed by Abuja Leasing Company (ALC). Some were sold out on hire purchase agreements.

Although its services were expensive, they provided the most comfortable and secure taxi services in the city. Nowadays, both the ones retained by government and those sold out to private investors are rare sightings.

However, broken down remains of the taxi are visible around the Utako office of ALC.

http:www.premiumtimesng.com/news/98041-eight-public-facilities-that-have-gone-extinct-in-abuja.html
Another reasons why Kaduna want el rufai.
APC all the way.
Re: Abuja Public Facilities That Have Gone Extinct by teemy(m): 2:12pm On Apr 20, 2017
olawalebabs, any current improvement in the central capital with a new administration now in place?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Edo Primary: Aggrieved PDP Aspirant Pledges Loyalty To Sheriff / Dogara's Aide, Zakariah Sinimbut Resigns, Denies Working Against The Speaker / Lagos Belongs To Every Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.