Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,269 members, 7,815,451 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

D.C. Man Orders TV From Amazon, Gets Assault Rifle Instead - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / D.C. Man Orders TV From Amazon, Gets Assault Rifle Instead (1148 Views)

I Received N740 Thousand Naira In My Bank Account Instead Of N370 Thousand Naira / Lagos Assembly Orders Relocation Of Mile 12 And Owode Markets / Have You Purchased Anything From Amazon.com? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

D.C. Man Orders TV From Amazon, Gets Assault Rifle Instead by webaplanet(m): 3:45pm On Aug 30, 2012
It's not yet clear how it happened, but a Washington, D.C., musician who ordered a flat-screen TV through Amazon received a military-style assault rifle instead.

Seth Horvitz ordered the 39-inch Westinghouse TV last week through one of Amazon's third-party vendors, WTTG-TV reported. On Tuesday, UPS left a smaller box at his apartment in northeast D.C. The 38-year-old electronic musician told The Washington Post he thought the seller had sent him a stand for the set.

Inside, Horvitz found a black, semiautomatic Sig Sauer SIG716, similar to the M16, which U.S. forces have carried for 50 years, and the AR-10. The SIG716 is used by law enforcement and the military.

"I was confused as to how that kind of mix-up could happen," he told the Post. "It surprised me to see how easy it would be for a gun to show up on someone's doorstep — not just a gun, but an assault weapon."

The box had two mailing labels: one with his name and address, the other for a Pennsylvania gun store that had ordered it from a supplier. Neither the gun store nor the supplier was identified.

Horvitz notified the sender and called D.C. police. He told the Fox station the two officers who responded "were a little confused at first; they've never seen anything quite like it."

"They just took my information and then said we'll handle this weapon because it's illegal to keep here. It's illegal to transport in a car, so it can't be returned."

On Deadline has asked Amazon whether it has determined how the mix-up occurred and whether it has any policies covering gun purchases. We'll update if we get answers.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/08/dc-man-orders-tv-from-amazon-gets-assault-rifle-instead/1[img]

Re: D.C. Man Orders TV From Amazon, Gets Assault Rifle Instead by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 30, 2012
Maybe they want him to blow his head off...grin

(1) (Reply)

I Need Advice On Where To Invest 200000 Naira / Beading, Training, Findings And Accessories In Calabar!!! / Frozen Food Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.