Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,167 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Importing Of Vehicles - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Importing Of Vehicles (1254 Views)

Renewal/registration Of Vehicles @ the Cheapest Rate Ever Within 24hrs / Automobile Engineering / Body Shop In ABUJA (oven Baking Of Vehicles) / Age Of Vehicles And Road Worthiness Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Importing Of Vehicles by klassyguy(m): 3:12pm On Jan 03, 2008
Hello guys. a friend of mine wants to go into importing of vehicles to the country to sell, but doesn't have enough capital to start with. I've decided to add some money to his for every car shipped, and the profit on the sales we'll split after each sale. But the problem we now have is that we don't know what things we need in order to start this. Right now he has about five customers with different models of cars.

Now to those who are into this business, can you give me a low-down of the things needed in order to start. The advantages and disadvantages, start-up capital, agent fees, things like that. these are the cars he wants to get and sell:

- 2004 End of Discussion
- 2003 Nissan x-terra
- 2006 Mercedes benz C-class
- 2001 honda accord
- 2001 jeep cherokee

thanks in advance.
Re: Importing Of Vehicles by SirQweird(m): 2:38am On Jan 04, 2008
@ klassyguy

I will try and take my time in addressing as many questions as I can.

First of, a lot of things will be entirely dependent on how you/friend envision your auto-importing business (i.e. the tastes of your customers; your location (i.e. abuja, no ports, vehicles would have to be conveyed to abuja, from lagos port, if to be sold in Abuja; your approach to sales/selling (i.e. do you want to have vehicles imported prior to having potential buyers - storage costs, etc; or do you desire having somewhat committed customers prior to searching for and importing the car specs the customers have requested - little to no storage costs, quick turnover of cars held, etc - note: most sellers I know in Lagos do the former, but some others engage in the latter 'system/method') As you mentioned that the friend has 5 customers I thought to mention the latter method as a viable option - but note that it is harder to conduct with the environment in Nigeria (you could have someone commit and still back out of the contract). A ton of these you'd most likely have a better idea of when you examine what auto-importers around you are doing, making inquiries of them and matching with your specific situation/preferences.
Other things of note would include where you'd be sourcing (this is key) the vehicles from (i.e. locally, or globally). Once some of the business direction has been 'ironed-out' a response to you question would probably be as follows:

"can you give me a low-down of the things needed in order to start" - (a) reputable source/sourcing of vehicles to be sold; (b) costs associated with storage of vehicles (if and when needed); (c) costs associated with conveying vehicles from port(s) to Abuja; (d) capital - highly depends on what you want to do (e.g. one (sourcing from the USA) could start off with one car, say a 1999-2001 toyota camry and invest N750K to N1.1m (includes shipping and clearing) (yes a wide range/disparity, but would be driven by year, mileage, condition of car, trim of car, salvage title or not salvaged (yep, a lot of cars in Nigeria are salvaged) options included (all aforementioned are sourcing related), shipping method used, competency of clearing agent would drive clearing costs, etc); on the other hand, one could start off with 3 (three) 2006 mercedes benz c-classes for example and invest between N9m to N11m. (we have a situation where one car clears for about N200k and the other about N550k - see, it all depends on what you guys want to do). Unfortunately I can't provide an idea of costs for (a), (b) and (c) as I never deal with these when I ship cars.

"The advantages and disadvantages" adv - it is a good, but involved, business; car dealers in Nigeria are notorious for making around 80%-100% margins on higher-end cars (benzes, hummers, etc) so there is money to be made - but you probably already know that. disadvantage - it can be a friggin hassle, (customer backouts, car tie-downs, etc).

"agent fees" - Personally, i have only worked with a fellow who works at the lagos port and happens to be a tenant in my Mother's house - so I've really not dealt with agent fees, besides clearing costs - but I do 'settle' him for his help from time to time.

I may have caused you more questions than answers, but like I mentioned earlier on, make inquiries of people who are in the business, know what you wnat to do/see yourself doing in the business and go from there. The costs I quoted were from my experience using USD against Naira (N120 exchange rate).

Oh yes, it does not hurt to have good people around you too.

Good luck.

PS - Please help me here: the End of Discussion is the Honda Accord right?
Re: Importing Of Vehicles by PapaBrowne(m): 2:46pm On Jan 05, 2008
Sir Qweird:

PS - Please help me here: the End of Discussion is the Honda Accord right?

Yep! The the End of Discussion is THE HONDA ACCORD FROM 2003 TILL 2007.
Funnily, Nigeria has a knack for naming Honda Accords of every model.
I wonder what they'll call the new Honda Accord 2008.
Re: Importing Of Vehicles by klassyguy(m): 3:47pm On Jan 05, 2008
@ Sir Qwierd, thanks alot for all this info given. I havent really digested the details, but i'll surely take my time to read and understand it properly.

As at our last discussion on wednesday, the guy told me that the 5 cars i stated were the ones his new customers decided to buy. The thing is that he wants to start on his own but has not enough capital, and that's why he involved me. but the plan he has for us is he'll get the customers while i'll talk to someone in US(one of my uncles) who lives over there. He'll be the one to buy the cars for us and send them down. Our problem now is that he(my uncle) told me to get as much information as i can concerning the business so as we'll not run into a loss when things get started.

@papabrowne, 2003-6 are End of discussion, 2007 is Discussion continues, maybe 2008 will be Discussion neva end grin.
Re: Importing Of Vehicles by ricki: 8:02pm On Jan 05, 2008
PapaBrowne:

Yep! The the End of Discussion is THE HONDA ACCORD FROM 2003 TILL 2007.
Funnily, Nigeria has a knack for naming Honda Accords of every model.

i hate it when people do this type of naming, bloody bleepers
Re: Importing Of Vehicles by PapaBrowne(m): 9:09pm On Jan 07, 2008
W
ricki:

i hate it when people do this type of naming, bloody bleepers
Whats there 2 hate man? Me thinks its cool yet senseless at the same time.
Re: Importing Of Vehicles by sultaan(m): 2:34pm On Jan 08, 2008
Hope your uncle knows not to buy lemons.
Re: Importing Of Vehicles by Panache(m): 11:47am On Jan 19, 2008
sultaan:

Hope your uncle knows not to buy lemons.

And V6 Sedans too. V6 cars don't sell well in Nigeria especially for Honda. Except it is a truck or high end auto. Sir Qwierd said it all.Best of luck and shine your eyes well well. The good thing is that you are based in Naija so you won't experience the trouble of dealing with Nigerian car dealers,strikers,mechanics,drivers and those who makes more than the car owner in the quest of 'for seeing' and 'for hearing'[i][/i]

(1) (Reply)

. / Lagos Cleared Honda Baby Boy 2002 / Parts For Fiat Allis Wheel Loader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.