Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,452 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

"Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security (6715 Views)

Congregation Chases Pastor From Church For Impregnating Member / Police Shut Enugu Church As Pastors, Supporters Engage In Free-for-all / Bishop Oyedepo Orders Members To Bring Their Pvcs To Church For Prayers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 30, 2012
[size=18pt]Nigerian church bans congregation from wearing 'headwraps' over potential security threat
[/size]

Sydney, Aug 30 (ANI): A Nigerian church has banned its congregation from wearing large headwraps, known as 'geles', saying that they form a "barricade" when women sit side-by-side and also are a potential security risk amid attacks from militant Islamist groups
According to The Age, the headwraps are an indispensable fashion accessory, which are worn by every Nigerian woman in the country.

However, the congregation at St Theresa's Cathedral Church in the Nigerian state of Enugu warned that churchgoers who wear geles that seek to reach for the heavens will have their headgear confiscated from next month.

Nigeria's finance minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has reportedly said that her headwrap was a trademark, the paper said. (ANI)

No more of this

http://in.news.yahoo.com/nigerian-church-bans-congregation-wearing-headwraps-over-potential-121635321.html
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by kandiikane(m): 5:41pm On Aug 30, 2012
LOL! Na wash! It's because when the gele is worn, no one can see the pastor and what he is wearing. grin
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Afam4eva(m): 5:43pm On Aug 30, 2012
There's already a simolar thread existing. Why did the mods move it to the frontpage?
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by slimdiggi: 5:43pm On Aug 30, 2012
Gele pose security threat? Agbada nkor? grin
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 30, 2012
slimdiggi: Gele pose security threat? Agbada nkor? grin

LOL do they wear agbada in ENugu? grin
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 30, 2012
kandiikane: LOL! Na wash! It's because when the gele is worn, no one can see the pastor and what he is wearing. grin

LOL I cannot blame the pastor jare. Na so so pesin no fit see pastor doing miraculous wonders on stage grin
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by slimdiggi: 5:49pm On Aug 30, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

LOL do they wear agbada in ENugu? grin
yes na cool
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by kandiikane(m): 5:49pm On Aug 30, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

LOL I cannot blame the pastor jare. Na so so pesin no fit see pastor doing miraculous wonders on stage grin

Lool, yes indeed! Miraculous bullshyt! grin
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:01pm On Aug 30, 2012
Lol, see something. Na wa o!
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 30, 2012
who wear geles that seek to reach for the heavens
_
pmsl! Rotfl! Lol! Rotflmvcao! Hahahahahahahaha!
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by LordReed(m): 6:15pm On Aug 30, 2012
@Ileke-idi and kandikane
It is funny how the article says
However, the congregation at St Theresa's Cathedral Church in the Nigerian state of Enugu warned that churchgoers who wear geles that seek to reach for the heavens will have their headgear confiscated from next month.
Yet you seek to blame the pastor. Pastor in a Catholic church? Is it not the congregation declaring this security measure?

Don't be so quick to judge.
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Duxe(f): 6:21pm On Aug 30, 2012
Hahaha!! Una no go kill person with laugh!!
But its not jus gele..even hats! I have seen very huge, dramatic and ridiculous hats in my life!
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by kandiikane(m): 6:22pm On Aug 30, 2012
Lord_Reed: @Ileke-idi and kandikane
It is funny how the article says Yet you seek to blame the pastor. Pastor in a Catholic church? Is it not the congregation declaring this security measure?

What judgement was passed in our comments?

All that was said(joked) was that the geles were too big for the pastor to be seen.

1 Like

Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by bright007(f): 6:30pm On Aug 30, 2012
So we now have female boko haram members!wonders śh̶̲̥̅̊
åľľ never end.
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by LordReed(m): 6:41pm On Aug 30, 2012
kandiikane:

What judgement was passed in our comments?

All that was said(joked) was that the geles were too big for the pastor to be seen.

Catholic churches don't have Pastors.
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by kandiikane(m): 6:43pm On Aug 30, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Catholic churches don't have Pastors.

...Then whoever the head of the church is.
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by kokoye(m): 6:56pm On Aug 30, 2012
afam4eva: There's already a simolar thread existing. Why did the mods move it to the frontpage?

This ekiti op na 'staff'
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Crayola1: 7:41pm On Aug 30, 2012
afam4eva: There's already a simolar thread existing. Why did the mods move it to the frontpage?

Because the word gele is in it cheesy
some folks are that simple.
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Circle360: 9:22pm On Aug 30, 2012
Hmmm, is dat logical?
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Tolaaaaannni(f): 9:32pm On Aug 30, 2012
How can they ban gele and not ban hats?? That doesn't even make any sense. kini gele ni se pelu oro olorun? churches this days..
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by aryzgreat: 10:21pm On Aug 30, 2012
There is anoda thread on this but the MOD obviously pushed this to the front page bc the OP is a known bigot and will surely derail this thread nd use this to draw traffik to NL, God is watching y'all!

1 Like

Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Nobody: 2:24am On Aug 31, 2012
Lord_Reed: @Ileke-idi and kandikane
It is funny how the article says Yet you seek to blame the pastor. Pastor in a Catholic church? Is it not the congregation declaring this security measure?

Forgive me if I appeared to have made a comment lol. Priest, Pastor, etc. . . . really no difference to me since they're viewed as the voice of God. I mean, we're all God's voice, however, some are more vocal than the other.
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Nobody: 2:25am On Aug 31, 2012
slimdiggi: yes na cool

Na lie. shocked
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by kandiikane(m): 3:05am On Aug 31, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Forgive me if I appeared to have made a comment lol. Priest, Pastor, etc. . . . really no difference to me since they're viewed as the voice of God. I mean, we're all God's voice, however, some are more vocal than the other.

I know right! If you're a man of God, I call you a pastor whether anglican, protestant, jehovah witness etc.
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by HighChief4(m): 3:10am On Aug 31, 2012
This is a good move and commendable.
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Nobody: 3:14am On Aug 31, 2012
kandiikane:

I know right! If you're a man of God, I call you a pastor whether anglican, protestant, jehovah witness etc.

LOL. They should make a rule for how "high" geles should be in church grin
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Nobody: 3:20am On Aug 31, 2012
What is the meaning of this?

Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by LordReed(m): 4:36am On Aug 31, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Was it the "Pastor" who declared the security measure?
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by hardbody: 5:52am On Aug 31, 2012
Lord_Reed:

The pastor engineered and facilitated the decision. The congregation spoke his voice and intendment.
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Nobody: 6:03am On Aug 31, 2012
Please what is '' gel'' headscarf? Is it different from the one use by women from the east? And which people call it ''gel''? I don't believe that all nigerians do. Please enlighten me on what it is really called.
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by Nobody: 6:10am On Aug 31, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Are you saying a congregation can make a final decision without the pastor's notification?
That's if the pastor didn't have a say in it.
Re: "Gele" Headwraps Banned By Enugu Church For Security by LordReed(m): 8:44am On Aug 31, 2012
hardbody:

The pastor engineered and facilitated the decision. The congregation spoke his voice and intendment.

You got that from the article or you are speculating?

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Secrets To Make Any Charm Work For You / ..... / Preparing For Rapture ( PRAYER COLLECTIONS )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.