Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

No More Igbo Movies: Why? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / No More Igbo Movies: Why? (10533 Views)

The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For! / One Of The Best Igbo Movies Rattle Snake (ahanna And Odinnaka ) / Igbo movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Qc1(m): 2:31am On Jan 05, 2008
faketan:

Ewo, this one no go de my michael West. Who go borrow me, Encyclopedia?

Thank God for Google Yoruba and webster online grin grin grin
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by princeonx: 2:46am On Jan 05, 2008
Qc-1 just make sure I find those words in my Dictionary or else grin
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Echidime(m): 10:10am On Jan 05, 2008
Anytime AFRICAN MAGIC is showing Yoruba films, foreigners here turn off their Televisions and when you ask them why, they will simply tell you that don't understand our Local Language so there is no need to watch it,till when English films are shown.

Nollywood is been worshiped all over the world now because the films are in English which is the World famous language,All African countries watch AFRICAN MAGIC Cable,if anyone doubth this organise an africa have your say about Nigerian movies,yoruba or english which is better,you will be shocked to have only 2% supporting Yoruba,and of course you can't blame them,afteral the world is english. grin grin grin grin I wonder why some useless soul will come here and post this Tribalistic tread this new year.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by 9ja4eva: 12:09pm On Jan 05, 2008
Doesnt mean we shouldnt have Igbo films.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Neyoyo(m): 2:47pm On Jan 05, 2008
@olydim.You should take it very easy.Your posts do not only suggest that you are a tribalist, you are insulting other tribes.Let me educate you on one thing.God has created us as human beings.He made human beings intelligent no matter the tribe.Wole Soyinka is a Nobel laurette probably not because he is yoruba but because he is an intelligent human being.The same should be said for Chimamanda.It is people like you who fuel tribal riots with your unguarded statements.Mind you ,every tribe in Nigeria has produced outstanding people.During my youth service in Abia State, I met a lot of intelligent Northen corpers.And I really appreciated the culture of the local Ibos.I mixed freely and appreciated Nigeria's diversity the more.You should do that and stop insinuating that one tribe is the most intelligent or that other tribes can't play on the global level.This post is not meant to insult you but to educate you.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:10pm On Jan 05, 2008
Dont know why you people are bothering with olydimwitted, as you can see from all his posts, he knows absolutely nothing other than to gossip over who's divorcing who and making idiotic tribalistic comments. Oloshi ni, pure and simple.

9ja4eva:

Doesnt mean we shouldnt have Igbo films.

Thank YOU. Finally someone who gets it. All these pitiful people making up lame excuses "oh more people speak English"

So bloody what?

That hasnt stopped the Spanish/Spanish speaking countries from making movies or any other country in the world and this hasnt even stopped them from winning awards in other countries. Mother India was the FIRST foreign movie to win an Oscar in the 50s and guess what? It WAS NOT in English. How many people understand Hindi?

Your excuses are bloody TERRIBLE.

I am still waiting for someone to tell me why their industry can't make BOTH Igbo and English movies, no one can answer the question, just yarning dust. Typical of Nigerians to put foreigners before themselves.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Besteric(m): 7:21pm On Jan 05, 2008
@All. why do people hate everything Igbo?? na waaaa, Nigerian films used to be Juju based ala Yoruba films until igbos used their gold plaited hands to turn the whole thing around, Now nigerian movies are watched all over the world.
The last time i checked, i did nt see many good yourba actors beside olu jacobs ,his wife, joke silva and a handful of others., Lanre and Akintola.
This Igbophobia sef tire me, talking about reknown nigerians, no yoruba man s known outside nigeria, Uk and USA except Wole Soyinka .talk about the igbos, haba, Zik s known all over africa, Anyaoku s known, Emeagwali of Microsoft, Iweala of World Bank, and in sports, its the igbos all along, the Okochas and kanus are known worldwide, na wa,, make we hear word sef, igbo dis igbo dat.
Small time una go say Igbo no dey go school, must we pack every idiot go school cuz we want educate dem?? thats why the Yorubas claim de most educated but unfortunately not de Best educated. Try Nigerian politics,, tell me a single yoruba minister old and new that has touched de lives of any nigerian like de Ribadu's Akunyilis, Soludos and Iwealas??,, well, make i eat , i dey come back
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:27pm On Jan 05, 2008
What are we saying and what are you saying? Do you even understand what this thread is about? Did you bother to read what the original poster had to say?

It's people that are against Igbo SPEAKING movies that should be considered "anti-Igbo"

Since when is English your native language?

and what does your garbage about Yoruba people have to do with this discussion? It's so funny how these pathetic people go around crying like ebeeres about being "hated" on yet they go around spewing tribalistic trash

Abi ori yin ti baja ni? Hopefully you will choke on that food.

Stay on topic or shut the hell up jare.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by bayo1(m): 7:29pm On Jan 05, 2008
Guys, don't let us turn nairaland to a ground for tribal assault. I believe everyone in this forum is educated and young Nigerians. Despite the fact that we should not forget our origins, we should not be swept into same mistake the older generations of this country had made in building tribal barrier everywhere. Let this forum be a place of robust and informed debate where less of tribal exaltation is seen. The focus should be on Nigeria and Nigeria alone. Less of deviation pls.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:32pm On Jan 05, 2008
Hopefully they will stop acting like victims and stick to the topic.

None of them have bothered to answer the original poster's question, instead they are crying about "ngabti people".
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by pamelastit(f): 9:11pm On Jan 05, 2008
Am I being tribalistic to ask these questions? I wonder.

Look - when you go to izogn movies and other websites that sell Nollywood movies in the states or cater to the Nollywood loving Audience- they always have English speaking movies and Yoruba movies. There is no igbo movie presented in these forums.

A couple of people are trying to sell that movies made in English are actually igbo movies but I beg to differ.

When I say Igbo movies - I mean movies in Igbo language and probably subtitled in English.

I believe there is a market for it, afterall, Living in Bondage which was an igbo movie and subtitled in English was a movie that really started shaking things out in the Nigerian movie industry.

So what is going on with the younger generation? Is it an issue of shame or what
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Dreloaded(f): 9:16pm On Jan 05, 2008
When I say Igbo movies - I mean movies in Igbo language and probably subtitled in English.

I believe there is a market for it, afterall, Living in Bondage which was an igbo movie and subtitled in English was a movie that really started shaking things out in the Nigerian movie industry.

So what is going on with the younger generation? Is it an issue of shame or what

I too would like an answer to this question.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Dreloaded(f): 9:59pm On Jan 05, 2008
look who's talking!
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by theboy0808(m): 11:45pm On Jan 05, 2008
*edited*
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Dreloaded(f): 12:08am On Jan 06, 2008
Im glad you edited your rubbish cos the group I see being insulted on this thread arent the Igbos.

Hw about you answer pamela's questions instead?
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Nobody: 12:13am On Jan 06, 2008
Besteric:

@All. why do people hate everything Igbo?? na waaaa, Nigerian films used to be Juju based ala Yoruba films until igbos used their gold plaited hands to turn the whole thing around, Now nigerian movies are watched all over the world.
The last time i checked, i did nt see many good yourba actors beside olu jacobs ,his wife, joke silva and a handful of others., Lanre and Akintola.
This Igbophobia sef tire me, talking about reknown nigerians, no yoruba man s known outside nigeria, Uk and USA except Wole Soyinka .talk about the igbos, haba, Zik s known all over africa, Anyaoku s known, Emeagwali of Microsoft, Iweala of World Bank, and in sports, its the igbos all along, the Okochas and kanus are known worldwide, na wa,, make we hear word sef, igbo this igbo that.
Small time una go say Igbo no dey go school, must we pack every idiot go school because we want educate them?? thats why the Yorubas claim de most educated but unfortunately not de Best educated. Try Nigerian politics,, tell me a single yoruba minister old and new that has touched de lives of any nigerian like de[b] Ribadu's [/b] Akunyilis, Soludos and Iwealas??,, well, make i eat , i dey come back

Is Ribadu an Igbo man?
speaking of Olu Jacobs,that guy is the finest,most polished actor in Nollywood.
His English is crisp and his voice is melodic.
TOH looks like you've reloaded once more LOl
Happy New year
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Dreloaded(f): 12:25am On Jan 06, 2008
Happy New Year, osisi. tongue

NL drives me crazy, it's not my fault grin
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 12:12pm On Jan 07, 2008
The conclusion of this stupid post (WHY WAS I EVEN INVOLVED WITH THIS TOH TRASH, ANYWAYS?) is that the producers put their money where their mouth is, as the saying goes. Even the Edo/Delta producers do not make movies in their languages. Being private entrepreneurs, they know what's best for them. Anybody is free to produce in the language they choose. Whoever does not like it can go produce his own.

Also, I have just confirmed that some, though few, movies are made in Igbo language. You will find them if you ask for them at Alaba and other Igbo trading stores, especially in Igboland. However, I still maintain that language (used in films) is not the only avenue to exhibit one's culture.

I command that there be no more responses on this topic, I have concluded it. grin
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Dreloaded(f): 3:20pm On Jan 07, 2008
So people must travel to the East before we can see the Igbo movies that used to be so popular everywhere eh?

and that makes sense to you?

Lmao Olydimwitted just get back to "work" and let us in on who's getting a divorce next since that's all you're good for.

Thanks.  grin
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Seun(m): 3:22pm On Jan 07, 2008
The east is where Igbo people are concentrated, right?
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by chibaby5(f): 3:39pm On Jan 07, 2008
i dnt really think dis shud b a topic 2 debate abwt. the answer is obvious n simple. y wud anyone make a movie in ds present day n tym in a language dat is not universal? dat is abit thick u knw. nollywood is getting recognised all over the world because of the gr8 movies it has produced n i dnt think ds recognition wud b dne with some nxt oda language if u get wat i mean so ppl pleaseeeeee, the thang is igbos r just smart n i dnt think there's anything wrong in being smart is there?? bless
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Dreloaded(f): 3:40pm On Jan 07, 2008
The Mexicans are in Mexico yet I can still watch Amores Perros without going there, Seun.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by efychris: 3:51pm On Jan 07, 2008
i don't think what u've said made any sence, cos there is a great need to be proud of ones culture and u'll agree with me that language is culture.also why must it be only the igbo movie? what about the yoruba movie? why is nothing been said about it?
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 4:37pm On Jan 07, 2008
D-reloaded:

So people must travel to the East before we can see the Igbo movies that used to be so popular everywhere eh?

and that makes sense to you?

Lmao Olydimwitted just get back to "work" and let us in on who's getting a divorce next since that's all you're good for.

Thanks.  grin

Can you read? ''Especially'' suggests that you can find the movies in other places, but more in Igbo land. I am right here in Holland watching Igbo movies. Do you want to me bring them to your house? My friend, get up and go search for the movies in Idumota/Alaba/Aba/Onitsha/PH and other places where Igbo film merchants predominate.

FYI, for obvious reasons, you will not find Igbo films in typical Yoruba enclaves such as Ibadan, Abeokuta, etc, just like you will certainly not find Yoruba/Hausa/Ijaw (if any) films in typical Igbo enclaves. Why should I be bothered with Yoruba movies when I like to play global? Any Yoruba who is bothered with Igbo movies must have a strong reason because it is actually not typical of them to do so.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 4:41pm On Jan 07, 2008
efychris:

i don't think what u've said made any sence, because there is a great need to be proud of ones culture and u'll agree with me that language is culture.also why must it be only the igbo movie? what about the yoruba movie? why is nothing been said about it?

So because perhaps there are not as many Igbo movies as you want, Igbo are now not proud of their culture? So other Nigerian tribes who do not make movies do not have other means of expressing their culture abi? So language is the only culture you know? Nothing wey person no go see for this Nairaland
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 4:43pm On Jan 07, 2008
What is the definition of culture anyways? A way of life of the people at any given time and place. Isn't?
Does culture evolve?
If so, after more than 100 years of speaking English in Nigeria, is it wrong to say that English language is a Nigerian culture?

Ignorant people of Nairaland view culture only from one ancient, fixated perspective of customary beliefs that are not modifiable.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Dreloaded(f): 4:44pm On Jan 07, 2008
olydim:

FYI, for obvious reasons, you will not find Igbo films in typical Yoruba enclaves such as Ibadan, Abeokuta, etc,

Again like I said before, stop making foolish assumptions. Same way you assumed that the french are only known for "soap operas" when any idiot knows their movies are WELL REGARDED in cinema and have been for decades

I went to International School of Ibadan for secondary school, that is not in the East in case you didnt know. I used to watch Igbo movies all the damn time, like I said before I even own some so stop with the ridiculous excuses. The question is why don't we see them around anymore. It's one thing if there were NEVER in "Yoruba Land" but they were, now you are telling me they are now exclusive to the East. Why? Why can't both the English and Igbo movies be sold in places other than the East? That is question the pamela and I are asking that you guys have yet to answer.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 4:59pm On Jan 07, 2008
D-reloaded:

Again like I said before, stop making foolish assumptions. Same way you assumed that the french are only known for "soap operas" when any idiot knows their movies are WELL REGARDED in cinema and have been for decades

I went to International School of Ibadan for secondary school, that is not in the East in case you didnt know. I used to watch Igbo movies all the damn time, like I said before I even own some so stop with the ridiculous excuses. The question is why don't we see them around anymore. It's one thing if there were NEVER in "Yoruba Land" but they were, now you are telling me they are now exclusive to the East. Why? Why can't both the English and Igbo movies be sold in places other than the East? That is question the pamela and I are asking that you guys have yet to answer.

Shut up and stop your blatant exaggerations. I lived in Ibadan 15 years before relocating abroad. As far back as 15 years ago, you do not have many Igbo films in Ibadan as you would have them in Aba etc. Who except the few Igbos in these places will watch them? Are you a Nigerian who lives in planet mars? You must be kidding me. And, if you are so hard-pressed, and want to know why (in your warped thinking) Igbo movies are not in your film collection, ask the producers and indeed, force them to make Igbo movies to assuage your tainted ego.

The question remains unanswered: is language the only culture?
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 5:02pm On Jan 07, 2008
The Igbo movies you claim to be watching in Ibadan, where did you get them from? If in the shop, please say who and who own such shops, and how many different Igbo movies could be found there at any point in time. How long did the movies stay on the shelf before being sold?

In like manner, please take a trip to Igboland and come back and tell me how many Yoruba movies you will find there.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Dreloaded(f): 5:05pm On Jan 07, 2008
*yawn* you are indeed a waste of life. What am I saying, what are you saying. Jst running around the original question like a typical scammer. Since you apparently CANT answer the question of the thread, get the hell out instead of going in circles asking stupid questions.

Oponu, language isnt the only culture but if you compare the acting of Nollywood to that of either indigenous Igbo movies, you'd see that one is better than the other for that obvious reason which is why some of us perfer them to the gabage that is out now. Alailojuti.  embarassed
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by olydim: 5:10pm On Jan 07, 2008
Now you have agreed that language is not the only culture, and at the same time, you have insinuated that native movies are better than the English movies (made mostly by Igbo) basically because of the language difference. Abi? You are a lost cause and hopelessly so. Please can you tell us what in the Yoruba movies (in which you are well-pleased) make them better than the English movies? And for whom are they better, for a Yoruba or for an Igbo? After all the rigmarole, you have managed to expose the bile of tribalism that you have tried to hide thus far. How many people do you know in Nigeria that prefer native movies to English ones? Did you conduct a survey for that? Now get off my face, you piece of trashy garbage.
Re: No More Igbo Movies: Why? by Dreloaded(f): 5:21pm On Jan 07, 2008
olydim:

Now you have agreed that language is not the only culture, and at the same time, you have insinuated that Yoruba movies are better than the English movies (made mostly by Igbo) basically because of the language difference. Abi? You are a lost cause and hopelessly so. Please can you tell us what in the Yoruba movies make them better than the English movies? After all the rigmarole, you have managed to expose the bile of tribalism that you have tried to hide thus far.

Olydimwitted, I can only pray that the demon that is bothering you this New Year will finally leave you alone. or not. Either way you are a tormented soul cry

Can you see that you can't answer a question straightword. Typical Nigerian yahooze. We are talking about Igbo movies, you are busy saying bullshit about something else. STAY ON TOPIC. We are asking for Igbo movies back because come of us believe movies where the actors speak their native tongues tend to have better acting and the crap you have to respond with is tribalsim? Are you insane? What is wrong with you? Abi ori e daru ni?

I'm not you. I'm not jealous of anyone so I don't need to adhere to tribalistic tactics, unlike YOU I have not said a word about your tribe. You however I can quote various places in which you're said all sorts of garbage or have you forgotten your ever so lame "Benin slave" comment? Yet you have the audacity tio try to act like some tortured victim now?

You're not smart, ok. Try your reverse psychology nonsense on someone with the same single digit IQ as yours. Someone who would fall for that crap ok?

Again, compare the acting and story lines of indigenous Igbo movies to the Nollywood ones and see for yourself which one is better.

If you don't intend on sticking on the topic of FILM and rather run your mouth about your hatred for the "ngabti people" then please don't respond to me anymore because I really don't care to hear about who stole your bread. Ok? Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 10 TV Series To Watch / Fast And Furious 7: Download And Watch The Full Hd Movie / Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.