Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,902 members, 7,841,380 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

"I'll Rather You Brought It" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "I'll Rather You Brought It" (786 Views)

@seun Please I'll Be Glad If You Read This. / Funaab Pre Degree Result (ADMISSION) Is Out.....i'll Check For You No Stress / A University Lecturer Has Brought Down Nigeria Education Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I'll Rather You Brought It" by vikiviko(m): 2:16pm On Jan 04, 2008
I recently watched the current edtion of Super story titled"Blast From the Past"

The lead actress Blessing said " I'll rather you brought it"

Here she was talking with her Fiance, Mofe.

I want to know if the expression in the sentence is right.
Re: "I'll Rather You Brought It" by Seun(m): 2:19pm On Jan 04, 2008
"brought" is right. "I'll" should be "I'd"
Re: "I'll Rather You Brought It" by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 04, 2008
It seems something is missing in that sentence.
Rather isn't a verb. What is the action of the subject of the first proposition?
Re: "I'll Rather You Brought It" by Purist(m): 10:58am On Jan 05, 2008
@vikiviko

Seun is right.  What you most likely heard her say was "I'd", which is a contraction of "I would" or "I had".  The usage of "I had", however, depends on the context, which in most cases, is usually followed by "better". e.g: "I had better leave you two alone".  We could also have "had rather" in some instances, although, that smacks of words spoken in the medieval times, IMO.

Now back to your question:  In English Language, there is what is called "Real Past" and "Unreal Past".  The "Unreal Past" (which is the case here) is a situation whereby, even though we are talking about the present, the tense used is in the past.  Just as "It's high time" always precedes a past tense, "I'd rather" also precedes a past tense.  I really don't know how to explain this articulately, but I believe this explanation should do: http://www.edufind.com/english/grammar/IF10.cfm.  You can also google this for a more detailed explanation, and you may want read up on Subjunctive mood as well.

Hope this helps (@michelin89 too).

Regards.
Re: "I'll Rather You Brought It" by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 05, 2008
@ Purist

Uhm! Such topics should never be made again, Mr Know it all. *roll eyes*

Thanks to the tlink you have provided and thanks to your English teacher, I have learnt something new.
Re: "I'll Rather You Brought It" by Purist(m): 6:20pm On Jan 05, 2008
See me see trouble o!  If I catch you ehn. . . ! grin cheesy grin

(1) (Reply)

The Most Annoying Website I Ve Ever Seen! / Oau Predites Holla: How Was Your Exams? / Ican Pe 11 Textbooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.