Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,933 members, 7,952,762 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:30 PM

‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi (4415 Views)

Ask A White American A Question / Angry Native American Tribesman Confronts White American Protestors / White American Girl Speaking Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Adufaye(m): 11:28am On Sep 02, 2012
Crystal Ellis Owonubi (pictured below) lives in Jos with her family. She has been sharing her story with other Americans and people in the world at large via a popular Facebook page ‘Mixed and Happy: I support mixed-raced families!” Here’s something she wrote that I want to share with the rest of you. See it below…
I grew up in Bauxite, Arkansas. I have lived in Nigeria for the past 7 years with my husband. We have two children together. We have been married for 12 years now. My father has never met my husband and has refused to accept my children also.When I had my first baby, a little girl that is now 12 years old. I called my father and said that I wanted to come and see him for Christmas with my baby. He said, “I don’t want any black people in my home!” and hung up the phone!
I grew up in an all white school with only one mixed girl in the school. I was treated horribly in school because I dated a black boy that lived in the next town at the age of 16. My father told me that he would disown me and to this day, I have never received a phone call from him.

I was called nigger lover in school and nobody wanted to sit by me. I knew what it felt like to be rejected. I was sent away to several different homes for troubled children because my mother did not want me to be with a black person. She would lock the phone up in her room. But, today I live in the blackest nation, Nigeria. And today I am happy that I did not end up racist like them or should I say ignorant.”
I am holding back my tears. I thank God that he gave me a family of my own! He has blessed me with a wonderful man that understands me and loves me for who I am. He has blessed me with a wonderful family that accepts me regardless of my skin color and regardless of where I come from.
Even though my mother and father in law are both deceased now, I thank God for their lives and how they were able to show me love before they went on to be with the Lord. Many people have been amazed that I am been able to stay in Nigeria for this long, but now I am ready to share my story. This is not the full story nor is it the ending of the story, so watch out for my book……coming soon! God wrote my story, but I wrote the book. I pray that many peoples lives will be touched by my story and that lives will be changed.

2 Likes

Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by ifyalways(f): 11:36am On Sep 02, 2012
Interesting story.

The son does not look mixed to me though.
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Adufaye(m): 11:39am On Sep 02, 2012
ifyalways: Interesting story.

The son does not look mixed to me though.
lol
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by ifyalways(f): 11:46am On Sep 02, 2012
What's funny?

The baby is cute btw.

1 Like

Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Adufaye(m): 11:59am On Sep 02, 2012
ifyalways: What's funny?

The baby is cute btw.
nutin fuuny sha...........cute baby yea
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:17pm On Sep 02, 2012
Adufaye: I grew up in an all white school with only one mixed girl in the school. I was treated horribly in school because I dated a black boy that lived in the next town at the age of 16.

I was called nigger lover in school and nobody wanted to sit by me.

@crystal

ok so you are infact, a psycho who from such an early age has been trying to seduce dark skinned people. you should have been locked up for life. at an age when you are supposed to concentrate on studies, you were stalking dark people, even to the extent that you travelled all the way to Nigeria for that! ! ! ! shocked shocked shocked shocked.

i have always maintained that you people are usually suffering from some form of pschyatric problems or mental disease. not surprised here. . undecided tongue
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:20pm On Sep 02, 2012
Adufaye: But, today I live in the blackest nation, Nigeria.

@crystal

dont insult us. we are not rascists like you that we cal our Nation a "black Nation". Our nation has people of many hues and colours. Myself, i am Dark Brown.
There are ehtnic Touareg in our country who are light brown skinned. We are all brown coloured and it doesnt really matter to us so shut your rascist mentality! angry angry angry angry

Our country is a Green/Brown Nation with lots of forests and pastures and deserts and grasslands with blue waters and clear skies. cool

1 Like

Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Adufaye(m): 12:21pm On Sep 02, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

ok so you are infact, a psycho who from such an early age has been trying to seduce dark skinned people. you should have been locked up for life. at an age when you are supposed to concentrate on studies, you were stalking dark people, even to the extent that you travelled all the way to Nigeria for that! ! ! ! shocked shocked shocked shocked.

i have always maintained that you people are usually suffering from some form of pschyatric problems or mental disease. not surprised here. . undecided tongue ah grin omo u r nt hapi at al cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Adufaye(m): 12:25pm On Sep 02, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

@crystal

dont insult us. we are not rascists like you that we cal our Nation a "black Nation". Our nation has people of many hues and colours. Myself, i am Dark Brown.
There are ehtnic Touareg in our country who are light brown skinned. We are all brown coloured and it doesnt really matter to us so shut your rascist mentality! angry angry angry angry

Our country is a Green/Brown Nation with lots of forests and pasrues and deserts and grasslands with blue waters and clear skies. cool
hahahahaaha una dey fight?
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by anonymous6(f): 12:26pm On Sep 02, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

@crystal

Our country is a Green/Brown Nation with lots of forests and pasrues and deserts and grasslands with blue waters and clear skies. cool

Pagan, Nigeria is a black nation, and the country with the largest black population in the world; true their are different shades of Nigerians, light skinned, brown skinned, and dark skinned but they are still black.

2 Likes

Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Adufaye(m): 12:30pm On Sep 02, 2012
anonymous6:

Pagan, Nigeria is a black nation, and the country with the largest black population in the world; true their are different shades of Nigerians, light skinned, brown skinned, and dark skinned but they are still black.
i doubt u,if naija is d largest black population wat will u call Ghana or Kenya
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by anonymous6(f): 12:33pm On Sep 02, 2012
Nice story but I don't understand what point you are trying to get from this thread; there have been Foriegn women like her(mostly european) married to Nigerian men(small numbers), that have been in Nigeria decades ago, Singer Nneka & Ruff & Tumble CEO Adenike Ogunlesi for example has the same background as her kids. There is nothing new with this story.

Foreign wives of Nigerians
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nigerwives-Nigeria-foreign-wives-of-Nigerians/486329640384?ref=ts
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by anonymous6(f): 12:34pm On Sep 02, 2012
Adufaye: i doubt u,if naija is d largest black population wat will u call Ghana or Kenya

Actually they are, it has been proven already.

1.China
2.India
3.United States
4.Indonesia
5.Brazil
6.Pakistan
7.Bangladesh
8.Nigeria
9.Russia
10.Japan
http://bristolboy.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Countries-With-The-Largest-Population
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Adufaye(m): 12:45pm On Sep 02, 2012
anonymous6:

Actually they are, it has been proven already.

1.China
2.India
3.United States
4.Indonesia
5.Brazil
6.Pakistan
7.Bangladesh
8.Nigeria
9.Russia
10.Japan
http://bristolboy.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Countries-With-The-Largest-Population
hmmmmmmmmmmm we are talkin abt country wit d largest black mean lol
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by anonymous6(f): 12:46pm On Sep 02, 2012
Adufaye: hmmmmmmmmmmm we are talkin abt country wit d largest black mean lol

yeah and I answered the question, Nigeria is a black nation, and the only nation in the top ten list and they make up the country with the largest black population, Ghana is only 25 million in population.

"Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa, the seventh most populous country in the world, and the most populous country in the world in which the majority of the population is black"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria

Which Is the Most Populous Nation In Africa?
http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/which-is-the-most-populous-nation-in-africa

"One of the greatest and most wonderful thing to do in one’s lifetime is to visit the most populous black nation on earth: Nigeria."
http://wizz.to/nigeria/south-west/detail,1648788218.html

" Brazil has the second largest black population — black being defined by people of African descent in the way that we would define them in this country. It’s second only to Nigeria."
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/black-in-latin-america/featured/qa-with-professor-henry-louis-gates-jr/164/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV90KRf0QEQ
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 02, 2012
you got a beautiful baby smiley
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:43pm On Sep 02, 2012
anonymous6:

no we are not black! that term was coined by whites, especially americans (who believe that theire are only 3 races: whites, blacks and asians). we Africans are tribespeoples. maybe akatas are black but not us. I am not black. angry
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by anonymous6(f): 3:54pm On Sep 02, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

no we are not black! that term was coined by whites, especially americans (who believe that theire are only 3 races: whites, blacks and asians). we Africans are tribespeoples. maybe akatas are black but not us. I am not black. angry

Technically we are negroid, and in the western world they labelled it black, so it has become the samething. It is true Africans label themselves more with their tribe followed by their nationality but in the western world nationality doesn't mean race because their are many races in the western world, particularly New World countries like America, and since people are identified by race in these countries that is how they label old world continents, for example Europe is labeled white territory, while Africa is labeled black territory. To be honest I don't know how these racial terms started but when it comes to African americans well that is how they label themselves, as opposed to Africans that label themselves by tribe or nationality but that doesn't mean we are not negroid to.

The best term is negroid, not black
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 02, 2012
[quote author=anonymous6]

Technically we are negroid, and in the western world they labelled it black, so it has become the samething. It is true Africans label themselves more with their tribe followed by their nationality but in the western world nationality doesn't mean race because their are many races in the western world, particularly New World countries like America, and since people are identified by race in these countries that is how they label old world continents, for example Europe is labeled white territory, while Africa is labeled black territory. To be honest I don't know how these racial terms started but when it comes to African americans well that is how they label themselves, as opposed to Africans that label themselves by tribe or nationality but that doesn't mean we are not negroid to.

The best term is negroid, not black[/quot

lol
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Tolaaaaannni(f): 5:16pm On Sep 02, 2012
anonymous6:

I don't like that word negroid, it has a lot of negative connotation behind it. I will stick to being called by my nationality/ethincity. Nigerian/Yoruba. undecided

@op Very interesting story.

1 Like

Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by anonymous6(f): 5:27pm On Sep 02, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

I don't like that word negroid, it has a lot of negative connotation behind it. I will stick to being called by my nationality/ethincity. Nigerian/Yoruba. undecided

@op Very interesting story.

I thought nigg-er is the negative word not negroid or black, any way I didn't know. I prefer to associate with Nigerian/Yoruba first but I never knew negroid had bad connotations to it, hmmm
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:29pm On Sep 02, 2012
anonymous6:

Technically, i dont care what those oyinbos say. there are dark skinned Indians, dark skinned Australian aborigines, New Zealand Maoris, Melanesians of Papua New Guinea and the Islands, dark-skinned Phillipino tribespople, dark-skinned Arab bedu, etc. skin colour harldy matters because it can change when given time and conditions. Only Tribe/Ethnicity matters! cool

I am first Hausa, because that is what my people were since time immortal. i am then Nigerian, due to todays political turn of events.
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by anonymous6(f): 5:31pm On Sep 02, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Technically, i dont care what those oyinbos say. there are dark skinned Indians, dark skinned Australian aborigines, New Zealand Maoris, Melanesians of Papua New Guinea and the Islands, dark-skinned Phillipino tribespople, dark-skinned Arab bedu, etc. skin colour harldy matters because it can change when given time and conditions. Only Tribe/Ethnicity matters! cool

You have a point when it comes to Africans but sing that tune to Black South Africans or Zimbabweans and they will say differently. I am proud of being Nigerian and yoruba but I am also proud of my skin color as well.

PAGAN 9JA:

I am first Hausa, because that is what my people were since time immortal. i am then Nigerian, due to todays political turn of events.

understood, lets just thank God Nigeria is not Latin America
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Tolaaaaannni(f): 5:31pm On Sep 02, 2012
anonymous6:

I thought nigg-er is the negative word not negroid or black, any way I didn't know. I prefer to associate with Nigerian/Yoruba first but I never knew negroid had bad connotations to it, hmmm

The word "Nigger" derives from negro which also derives from negroid (Or might be the other way around, considering that "negro" is a spanish word), You might not see anything wrong with it but i personally don't want to be called by that.
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by anonymous6(f): 5:34pm On Sep 02, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

The word "Nigger" derives from negro which also derives from negroid, You might not see anything wrong with it but i personally don't want to be called by that.

True but I felt since they use caucasian to describe white, it is ok with the term negroid, don't get me wrong I never ask people to call me negroid either but I always thought the term itself was nuetral.
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:34pm On Sep 02, 2012
imagine someone asks you, "Hey are you Hausa or Yoruba", or imagine someone asks you "Hey are you a Negro" or "Hey are you black color"
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:35pm On Sep 02, 2012
someone must be really color-blind to not distinguish between "brown" and "black". tongue
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Tolaaaaannni(f): 5:42pm On Sep 02, 2012
anonymous6:

True but I felt since they use caucasian to describe white, it is ok with the term negroid, don't get me wrong I never ask people to call me negroid either but I always thought the term itself was nuetral.

Yes, but unlike the word caucasian, negro/negroid has had years and years of painful history behind it.
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by anonymous6(f): 5:44pm On Sep 02, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Yes, but unlike the word caucasian, negro/negroid has had years and years of painful history behind it.

True
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by anonymous6(f): 5:47pm On Sep 02, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
someone must be really color-blind to not distinguish between "brown" and "black". tongue

I understand what you are saying Pagan, I am not the color black, like the crayon color black but I am just saying the reality of the world when it comes to racial labels. To me I dont even know how it started with the term red people, white people, and black people but in the world we live in today the labels are the norm
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:54pm On Sep 02, 2012
anonymous6:

I understand what you are saying Pagan, I am not the color black, like the crayon color black but I am just saying the reality of the world when it comes to racial labels. To me I dont even know how it started with the term red people, white people, and black people but in the world we live in today the labels are the norm

yes ok. but i will change that. anyone who call "me" black, gets his face disfigured. smiley
Re: ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi by Kairoseki77: 9:16pm On Jan 12, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

yes ok. but i will change that. anyone who call "me" black, gets his face disfigured. smiley

WOW.

You have problems.

(1) (2) (Reply)

OH Yeah!! Somalia Is On The Rise Back To Stardom !! The Economy Is Boooming! / Why Do Only Africans Especially Nigerians Hiss? Lol / What Does Aburo Mean?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.