Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila (12081 Views)

Breast Touching Festival In Singapore / Photo: Wrestling Festival In Adamawa / Aguleri Town Masquerade Festival In Anambra (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by MadCow1: 8:35am On Sep 12, 2012
I was gonna say something tribalistic, but then again, I am a good Christian.. However, who are those other women sitting in front of the Oba and his wife?! Are they his other wives as well?! angry
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by amor4ce(m): 8:38am On Sep 12, 2012
The firstborn son (Daodu/Otunba) may not ascend to the throne if his health status would cripple the fulfillment of his royal obligations - my understanding.
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by amor4ce(m): 8:42am On Sep 12, 2012
Mad Cow: I was gonna say something tribalistic, but then again, I am a good Christian.. However, who are those other women sitting in front of the Oba and his wife?! Are they his other wives as well?! angry

From the article:
Sitting on bare floor right in front of the king are the wives from the royal dynasty consisting of Mowa, Arojo and Obasolo families. The women adorned their heads with conical hairstyle, singing Orangun’s praises intermittently in their rich Igbomina dialect.
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by MadCow1: 8:43am On Sep 12, 2012
amor4ce:

From the article:

Meaning he fhucks all of them?! Or they are part of the left overs from his fathers Harem?!.. angry
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by Leegoguy(m): 9:05am On Sep 12, 2012
I love those pictures,,, they are very good for cultural painting* cool
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by Nobody: 9:18am On Sep 12, 2012
What sort of Festival is this , 3 drums and a masked man called Oba with his refugees surrounding him lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by sexyverah(f): 9:19am On Sep 12, 2012
jus stop by to say hi
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by Afam4eva(m): 9:27am On Sep 12, 2012
THose pictures look like paintings to me. The pictures did not do justice to the festival.
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by nagoma(m): 10:16am On Sep 12, 2012
Are the horse tails from real horses or artificial hair? I don't see many tailess horses around.

1 Like

Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by akigbemaru: 10:24am On Sep 12, 2012
Obaje,while basking in emporia of a stupid glory, may I remind you that the Era of olobade is over and please let democracy take it coarse. We Yoruba are not happy with many of you OBas out there anymore, we believe you have lived pass your time. Many of you can be converted to Mayor and serve your four years term and if you did great, your people will reelect you again for another four years and after that back off and give another person a chance. The idea of you on throne forever does not jel well with the prosperity of your community, history will tell us that absolute power corrupts absolute people. You can ignore my warnings but guess what? I know nemesis will catch up with all of you kings out there, because modernity is making your values in society looks stupid.
"[size=8pt][/size]Those who fail to embrace changes and modernity often become relics of the past."

2 Likes

Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by marabout(m): 12:28pm On Sep 12, 2012
@ Akigbemaru & Obaje:

Norway, Sweden, Holland, Belgium, Luxemburg, Denmark, Japan, UK etc, all have monarchs and are all modern countries by any measure.

Develope what you have. Discarding everything you have and always copying others means inferiority complex.

1 Like

Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by Torch1(m): 5:42pm On Sep 12, 2012
CHESSBOARD: What sort of Festival is this , 3 drums and a masked man called Oba with his refugees surrounding him lipsrsealed
lol.. Nlers & their funny posts.. Una no go kill me oo.
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by ochallo: 6:19pm On Sep 12, 2012
this is part of the reasons nigeria is so backward, i bet less than 10 people there would be able to speak fluent english, when they are supposed to be organise skill acquisition schemes , they are busy breaking kolanuts, the same thing we were doing before God brought the missionaries and development. yet some people refuse to develop. can these pictures be shown on CNN as a progressive development?
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by Lanspower(m): 1:29am On Sep 13, 2012
jude33084:

Na second son D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ inherit title for Yoruba land? undecided
Just asking o
Normally the first son should and is usually the heir to the throne. But in some cultures where selection of Monarch is based on divination, it's whoever the Ifa being the mouthpiece of the ancestors chooses that is installed the king. In the case of The Abolarin, I think Oba Adedokun was adjudged to be the most popular of the three sons of the late PA Abolarin and rumour has it that the immediate predecessor had chosen Oba Adedokun ahead of the first son for reasons unknown to any mortal. Abolarin's family is a very good family as the selection of the second son never caused any upheaval.
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by Lanspower(m): 1:36am On Sep 13, 2012
akigbemaru: Obaje,while basking in emporia of a stupid glory, may I remind you that the Era of olobade is over and please let democracy take it coarse. We Yoruba are not happy with many of you OBas out there anymore, we believe you have lived pass your time. Many of you can be converted to Mayor and serve your four years term and if you did great, your people will reelect you again for another four years and after that back off and give another person a chance. The idea of you on throne forever does not jel well with the prosperity of your community, history will tell us that absolute power corrupts absolute people. You can ignore my warnings but guess what? I know nemesis will catch up with all of you kings out there, because modernity is making your values in society looks stupid.
"[size=8pt][/size]Those who fail to embrace changes and modernity often become relics of the past."
Are you kidding bruv? Have you taken your time to research monarchical system of even the world's most developed democracies? I think you need to go to Britain and tell Queen Elizabeth to abdicate her throne to suit your love for modernity. Democracy can always suitably be transient but Monarchy never can...the monarchs are meant to be permanent for cultural not political reasons dude.
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by Lanspower(m): 1:41am On Sep 13, 2012
ochallo: this is part of the reasons nigeria is so backward, i bet less than 10 people there would be able to speak fluent english, when they are supposed to be organise skill acquisition schemes , they are busy breaking kolanuts, the same thing we were doing before God brought the missionaries and development. yet some people refuse to develop. can these pictures be shown on CNN as a progressive development?
I think I can break your problems into 2 you are either seeking attention here or sick in the head. Who cares what CNN shows and who says only what CNN shows is right? Skill acquisitions scheme? If your school or employer cant help you on that then get it yourself. What the festival shows you is the ardent need to preserve our culture Mr CNN
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by pwettyJasmine(f): 11:20pm On Sep 13, 2012
I am a Proud Daughter of OKE-ILA, daughter of d soil and I'm soooo proud of u Oba Doxy, u have always made me proud. My Oba dey represent. I must visit soon
Re: Glitz, Glamour Of Isinro Festival In Oke-ila by Rossikk(m): 9:03pm On Oct 14, 2012
edo.girl:
Aww...lovely. If roads and security in the country were in better shape, I would prefer to spend a couple of days holidaying at a festival like this than wasting money going to Oyinbo land.

Sounds like this indigenous democracy is simpler and more elegant than the Oyinbo democracy that befuddles our miseducated politicians.

You're very smart. God bless you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Barbados Is Overwhelmingly Igbo / Negritos(small NEGROS) Found As Natives In Asia / Yoruba Astrology & Their Western Equivalency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.