Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,426 members, 7,819,551 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) - Fashion (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) (340868 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Grow Your Natural Hair Long / The Beauty Of Shea Butter(ori)(kadanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sixix: 3:41pm On Sep 01, 2014
Onegai: I've been doing this thing, where I pour some coconut or olive oil on my hair the night before wash day (you kinda have to sleep with a shower cap on, so as not to stain your pillows). My curls are looking more defined and my hair feels softer, but I'm shedding or breaking like mad. It could be the Dudu Osun, I've heard it breaks hair. This is my 3rd time using it, so will maybe give it a rest.

Dudu Osun contains sulphate and it is also very drying.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by dishitahukmani: 1:12pm On Sep 02, 2014
U can get all important information by just visiting
http://www.wwgtfy.com/?q=Beauty+Of+Natural+Hair

It is great place to know whatever u want
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Empressgifted(f): 2:06pm On Sep 02, 2014
Onegai: I've been doing this thing, where I pour some coconut or olive oil on my hair the night before wash day (you kinda have to sleep with a shower cap on, so as not to stain your pillows). My curls are looking more defined and my hair feels softer, but I'm shedding or breaking like mad. It could be the Dudu Osun, I've heard it breaks hair. This is my 3rd time using it, so will maybe give it a rest.
My hair has been breaking so much lately, i guess it's the black soap cos I've been using it for about 6 months now.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 02, 2014
Sixix:

1.Choose an oil or a combination of oils of your choice. Try using a mixture of olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and almond oil. You can use all of the oils or pick one or two to use for your hot oil treatment. All of the oils above will moisturize your hair and hydrate the scalp. Coconut oil hardens when it is cool.

2. Keep your hair warm or at least at room temperature while coconut oil is in your hair. Make about a cup of your own hot oil mix. You need enough of the oil to cover your hair, from root to tip, so it may be necessary to use less than a cup or make a little more depending on the length and thickness of your hair.

3. Heat the oils in a small saucepan until the mixture is warm to the touch. The oil is going on your hair and scalp, so make sure that it is lukewarm. Although microwaving is faster, it is not recommended because the oil may get too hot. Microwaving may also negatively impact some of the nutrients in the oils. Again, if the oil is over heated, let it sit for a few minutes to cool.

4. Apply the oil to the hair. It is best to use a small squeeze bottle, the kind that is used to color hair.
Massage the product throughout your hair, making sure that all of your hair is covered with the oil. The hair does not have to be overly greasy, just slightly oily. Do not rub the hair too harshly, as this can cause tangles and breakage.

5. Once the hair is covered, put on a shower cap. If you have a bonnet-style hair dryer at home, you can sit under the dryer. If you don't have that type of dryer, you can wrap a towel around your head to keep the heat in.

6. Let the oil penetrate through your hair for about 15 minutes. For a relaxing hot oil treatment, take a warm bath while the oil penetrates in hair.
Next, rinse the oil. Dry your hair and style it as normal.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/01/how-to-do-a-simple-at-home-hot-oil-treatment/

Nice. Will try this in my new outdoor Jacuzzi. Oh la la.
But seriously, I'm beginning to get tired. Looks like the hair is not growing.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 02, 2014
Sissie: ^it's not advisable to heat the oil on a sauce pan directly it reduces the strength of the oils, one of the reasons why cold pressed oil are better.

It's better to boil water, pour the oils in a container I.e cup and insert into the boiled water till it becomes warm/hot.

All these process biko. Amma heat the thing in micro. Nutrient that will die as a result of heat will die . So survivor will do the rest . Btw, I'm almost 1 yr now. I still can't get my hair in one roll. Of I had a relax hair, it would have been packing into a single roll by now
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:29pm On Sep 02, 2014
Someone should help me with this definition of curls . I never seem to get it right and always end up braiding my hair after few weeks. The fact is that...
There is no curls to define.

The hair is long when stretched but as soon as you let go, it shrinks back .
But I'm not giving up yet
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Onegai(f): 9:19pm On Sep 02, 2014
Chillisauce: Someone should help me with this definition of curls . I never seem to get it right and always end up braiding my hair after few weeks. The fact is that...
There is no curls to define.

The hair is long when stretched but as soon as you let go, it shrinks back .
But I'm not giving up yet

I can see you are suffering from TooMuchInformationAboutNaturalhairionits, it's a deadly disease grin .

Just relax, and follow a very simple routine, excess of everything is bad. I still can't do a curl definition well, I used Eco Styler gel and twisted my hair while wet, then loosened it and it came out okay.

Don't use a microwave, seriously that thing is bad even for warming food. Just boil a kettle of water or run the closed container of your oils under a very hot tap. I don't do hot oil treatments, I figured that I use enough oils already. I have decided not to do pass my great-grandmama (who was a reputed beauty). I don't believe she did hot oil treatments.

Shrinkage is normal, almost all African hair shrinks, som very badly, others not so much, just accept it and you can style it in certain ways to stretch it.

Don't buy too much at first, in my first year I almost blew my savings wanting to try Henna, Flaxseed gel, JBCO, Rhassoul clay, Argan oil, blah blah. Simply go to Natural Nigerian's website or African Naturalista (google) and pick out some stuff: a shampoo, a deep conditioner, an oil, a daily conditioner, shea butter and a spray bottle. That's all you need so as not to get confused.

4 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 12:44pm On Sep 03, 2014
Onegai:

I can see you are suffering from TooMuchInformationAboutNaturalhairionits, it's a deadly disease grin .

Just relax, and follow a very simple routine, excess of everything is bad. I still can't do a curl definition well, I used Eco Styler gel and twisted my hair while wet, then loosened it and it came out okay.

Don't use a microwave, seriously that thing is bad even for warming food. Just boil a kettle of water or run the closed container of your oils under a very hot tap. I don't do hot oil treatments, I figured that I use enough oils already. I have decided not to do pass my great-grandmama (who was a reputed beauty). I don't believe she did hot oil treatments.

Shrinkage is normal, almost all African hair shrinks, som very badly, others not so much, just accept it and you can style it in certain ways to stretch it.

Don't buy too much at first, in my first year I almost blew my savings wanting to try Henna, Flaxseed gel, JBCO, Rhassoul clay, Argan oil, blah blah. Simply go to Natural Nigerian's website or African Naturalista (google) and pick out some stuff: a shampoo, a deep conditioner, an oil, a daily conditioner, shea butter and a spray bottle. That's all you need so as not to get confused.

Thanks so much, you need to see my rack , piled up with different product. There was even a time I mistaken a wash out conditioner to a leave in one. See the hair was strong and plenty scales falling off. I had to wash again the next day when I found out what I did. cheesy
I'm gonna go simple. With only olive oil and water.then gradually I will add some other oils.

3 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Empressgifted(f): 7:51pm On Sep 06, 2014
What's happening to our thread? C'mon Dearies let's revive this thread with posts and pics. Posts about your big chop, ur regime, the products u use, advice and so on and maybe some pics of ur natural hair styles or natural hair models, anything natural hair related to revive this thread. I can't upload pics cos my phone has got some probs so those that can please do help.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by typearls(f): 2:10am On Sep 08, 2014
Great Tips for natural hair

In recent times, there is been more renewed interest in natural hair especially among african women due to the ne book “AMERICANAH” by Nigerian novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Before the book came out I have always been keen on growing my natural hair and my locks are about eight months old now. I will soon post pictures of my dreadlock journey.
Read more after the cut

Great tips for caring and maintaining natural dreadlocks
images (18)
images (17)
1. START AFRESH
This is so important especially in your beginning stages of growing locs. Try cutting off the last of your perm before going natural so you can achieve the desired result.If available ,get a good locktician(someone trained i the act of hair locks)You want a locktician that can give you great advice and recommend healthy products.Make sure you feel comfortable with her or him, and get a sense of how knowledgeable they really are about dreadlocks to give you a good start. Some hair dressers/barbers claim to be lockticians without adequate knowledge of hair locking, avoid them,they are more costly and ruin your hair in the long run. Its best you enlist the aid of a friend or relative to assist you in re-locking your hair. Get a large piece of foam filled with holes or your palms ,mentally dividing your hair into sections,rub your hair in a clockwise direction,ensure you lock the hair in the same direction always,if you start clockwise,continue clockwise till the hair locks to the undergrowth and seperate tangled hair.
2. MASSAGE YOUR SCALP
Not only is it very relaxing, but it also stimulates hair growth. You’d be surprised how the simple act of gently massaging your hair at night for about 5 minutes, will really help you achieve the beautiful locs you desire.
3. DON’T RETWIST YOUR HAIR TOO MUCH
We all like the fresh look of a retwist, but if done too often it can start to create breakage and thinning at the root. Look around for new, chic hairstyles that you can tryout to stay in love with your hair in between retwists—it’s the perfect time to experiment with your look.
4. MODERATION IS KEY
Avoid excess oil usage, chemical products on your hair to prevent dust,dirt and breakage. Shampoo at least twice a week, use natural products like beeswax,sheabutter,olive oil and honey, you can mix them in equal proportions to get the right constitency and effective hair mixture. Apply light hair spray on the hair to make it smell nice.
5. BE PATIENT
Locking your hair is a journey and it’s a little different for each person. Some people’s hair locs faster than others. Thicker hair tends to lock faster. My hair started to lock in the middle and worked its way to the end. The good thing is that if you nurture and take good care of your hair then the growth will come. It really will. Don’t get discouraged. If you have any questions or need more info about locs or natural hair tweet read more at
www.typearls..com

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 10:58am On Sep 08, 2014
Rute: datalossvictim1 yo hair is absolutely gorgeous wow! Please tell us yo regime

Hey I started this new thing I came across and thought I should let you know.

I mix water and aloe Vera juice in a spray bottle, spray it on my hair then I use daxcream(this cream contains 'bad oils' for the hair & has a smell I find unpleasant) to lock the moisture in my hair.

I now think petroleum and mineral oil can be used on the hair but only after moisture has been added to the hair. The mixture helped me so much in retaining moisture. It makes my hair very flexible. It gave me sporting waves after every attempt to brush out my twist out. grin

I think I'll be washing my hair more often (2weeks) with this moisturising method because of residue.

Also I found out recently that olive oil, avocado oil and coconut oil are penetrating oils. Meaning that they have no moisture sealing properties. They are packed with loads of benefits however they should not be used in the hopes of retaining moisture. All other oils are perfect for sealing.

Sorry if this is too much info lol

3 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Rute(f): 11:08am On Sep 08, 2014
@datalossvictim1 I think this is really cool and simple to do thanks yo procedures are not complicated at all my hair looses moisture really fast
Btw yo catoon profile pic made me chuckle.

@ all keep the pics coming
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 11:17am On Sep 08, 2014
Rute: @datalossvictim1 I think this is really cool and simple to do thanks yo procedures are not complicated at all my hair looses moisture really fast
Btw yo catoon profile pic made me chuckle.

@ all keep the pics coming

You're very welcome dear. Ill make sure I update you on any changes.

Oh I forgot to tell you. I got the aloe vera juice straight from the plant. At some point I regretted putting it in a spray bottle instead of a small container because it refused to spray due to the chunks of alovera juice. But it started to spray properly after a while.

Hahaha grin I just changed it.

3 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by seromezy: 5:25am On Sep 09, 2014
To know good tips of growing natural heir, natural pink lips, and many more about having good skin visit www.ladieswinds.com
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by adebriana(f): 4:58pm On Sep 12, 2014
please what do you guys think about Dallas leave in conditioner
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Onegai(f): 7:56am On Sep 13, 2014
adebriana: please what do you guys think about Dallas leave in conditioner

I haven't heard much, but look at its ingredients: do you like what you see? Then also try it, it may work for you. I've heard of girls using Petals conditioner as their cowash conditioner and I know someone using Nature's Gentle Touch as her leave-in mix and she's fine with it. I used to through in Emily Millionaire as a deep condish, but I have no idea if it works, just like it.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Rute(f): 10:50am On Sep 13, 2014
So I went to the salon to do a big chop then a short weave there after they flat refused to cut my hair there were like haa auntie u can't cut off that hair hee what what what I'm dissapointed our people can't accept their natural hair again! I will bc my hair at home that's it
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by adebriana(f): 2:02pm On Sep 13, 2014
Onegai:

I haven't heard much, but look at its ingredients: do you like what you see? Then also try it, it may work for you. I've heard of girls using Petals conditioner as their cowash conditioner and I know someone using Nature's Gentle Touch as her leave-in mix and she's fine with it. I used to through in Emily Millionaire as a deep condish, but I have no idea if it works, just like it.

OK thanks
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by anathemiamia(f): 2:54pm On Sep 16, 2014
i think my inversion challenge might be working. Thought i took a before pix but looking at it, its not valid. my hair was right below my ear and now its definitely a little longer than that, i would know. i check everyday. grin
lemme know if this is a good enough growth for 6 months post relaxer

Front and sides: 3"
Middle: 3.5 to 3.75 inches.

Going to get a weave as soon as the inversion challenge is over.

I was going to attach a pix but i cant bring myself to do it. Hopefully i'll do it before i do a protective style
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 16, 2014
Rute: So I went to the salon to do a big chop then a short weave there after they flat refused to cut my hair there were like haa auntie u can't cut off that hair hee what what what I'm dissapointed our people can't accept their natural hair again! I will bc my hair at home that's it

Lol they are funny. I think it's even better you DIY. Don't mind them

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 10:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
anathemiamia: i think my inversion challenge might be working. Thought i took a before pix but looking at it, its not valid. my hair was right below my ear and now its definitely a little longer than that, i would know. i check everyday. grin
lemme know if this is a good enough growth for 6 months post relaxer

Front and sides: 3"
Middle: 3.5 to 3.75 inches.

Going to get a weave as soon as the inversion challenge is over.

I was going to attach a pix but i cant bring myself to do it. Hopefully i'll do it before i do a protective style

What does the challenge entail please. Sounds interesting.

Forgive me but hahahah a aawwww it'll be 12 inches before you know it.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Lalaland1(f): 8:17pm On Sep 17, 2014
hi! order ur cupcakes now..vanilla chocolate and red velvet cupcakes ,available..just a ping away..or call 08060057656,07011905320.delivery available depending on location.lagos only
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by imooleayooluwa: 2:00am On Sep 18, 2014
ma hair is soft please i nid tips on how to keep naturale hair. kinky.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by NappilyNigerian(f): 1:43pm On Sep 18, 2014
How I switch up my natural hair coils with bendy rollers.
Products used.
- Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo
- Tresemme Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Purification Masque.
- Pantene Relaxed and Natural wrap and set lotion....you can substitute with LottaBody
- 21 bendy rollers.
- Wide Tooth Comb
- Denman D41 brush

I shampooed first, then D.C with SheaMoisture for 20mins and cowashed it out with Tresseme.

Then I blotted my hair dry.
Made small sections and sprayed on Pantene, detangled with wide tooth and smoothened with Denman then wrapped around the bendies.

Allowed to set overnight, then took down for curls. Here's my results.

3 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by SexyFox(f): 10:22pm On Sep 18, 2014
The future of my hair. Lol, I just dey daydream. Na only the short one be my hair.

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by anathemiamia(f): 7:23am On Sep 19, 2014
datalossvictim1:

What does the challenge entail please. Sounds interesting.

Forgive me but hahahah a aawwww it'll be 12 inches before you know it.

Lool. laugh well o. funny enough I saved your profile picture. I'll soon get there...in like forever. just Google the inversion method. I dunno if it worked anymore but the back of my head is now 4 inches, the front now gets to my eyebrows, wasn't that long 2 weeks ago.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Laclasse: 2:07pm On Sep 19, 2014
Find attached your thermal cap and sleep over latin caps.

Good for hair natural growth and conditioning/Styling.

Hurry while offer lasts.

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:49pm On Sep 19, 2014
anathemiamia:

Lool. laugh well o. funny enough I saved your profile picture. I'll soon get there...in like forever. just Google the inversion method. I dunno if it worked anymore but the back of my head is now 4 inches, the front now gets to my eyebrows, wasn't that long 2 weeks ago.

grin lol don't use me to do money rituals o cheesy.

I just googled it. It seems interesting. I guess I already do something like that by exercising 5 times a week.
Cool I'm also excited at your hair journey. You'll be having inches in no time.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by SexyFox(f): 8:51pm On Sep 19, 2014
Can't believe my hair has grown so much. The hair at the front.

3 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 19, 2014
Nice curls!! They are popping!

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (62) (Reply)

stylish kareena kapoor / Which Cream And Soap is Best Suited For A Fair Lady / POST HERE | ALL Modeling-Related Information!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.