Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,394 members, 7,836,584 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

The Unending War (about 60,000 Discovered Unexploded Remnants Of Civil War) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Unending War (about 60,000 Discovered Unexploded Remnants Of Civil War) (689 Views)

Rechargeable Blasting Device For Unexploded Bombs Unveiled By Army - Photos / Troops Clear Remnants Of Boko Haram Terrorists In Kala Balge -photos / Presidency Orders Sack Of Civil Servants With 30 Years In Service And Above (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Unending War (about 60,000 Discovered Unexploded Remnants Of Civil War) by ayobase(m): 8:05am On Sep 05, 2012
Reading from today's Sun Newspaper, about 60,000 unexploded remnants have been discovered across 12 states in the country.
A contract awarded by President Yaradua before his demise to Dr. Yakubu Bala to excavate potent bombs of over 43 years ago.
Dr. Emeka Uhuegbu, the Field Adminstrator of the project told reporters that Igritta, in Rivers State has been tagged ''evil forest'' due to incessant explosions.
Contaminated locations in the states have been listed;
- Abia, 85
- Anambra, 68
- Akwa Ibom, 53
- Bayelsa, 18
- Benue, 18
- Cross River, 67
- Delta, 71
- Ebonyi, 58
- Enugu, 108
- Imo, 87
- Nasarawa, 2
- Rivers, 67
45,000 unexploded remnants of war waiting to be removed across 12 states in the country, while 17,522 remnants have been removed so far.
''We have been incapacitated by lack of funds, and I feel bad that unexploded remnants of war still litter many parts of the affected areas.'' Dr. Bala Yakubu lamented.
Some land mines were excavated some distance away from Chief Ikedi Ohakim in Imo State, while Three (3) Russian made 81mm mortar bombs were removed from the country home of Chinua Achebe in Anambra State. Government house in Owerri was also affected.
In 1999, Obasi Kelechi Vivian (then 9 years of age)suffered from an explosion while on farmland with her mother. Her leg has been amputated, and among other dicovered ones in schools and paths.
Re: The Unending War (about 60,000 Discovered Unexploded Remnants Of Civil War) by ayobase(m): 8:53am On Sep 05, 2012
This news made me ask this question, but you observing it is a tribal sentiment as at ur detriment.
Why are the Eastern States being grossly affected with these explosives....what happened to the West and North during the war....no discoveries there yet or what?
Can we say that they were being produced/coupled and later abandoned at those locations?
Re: The Unending War (about 60,000 Discovered Unexploded Remnants Of Civil War) by na2day(m): 8:59am On Sep 05, 2012
ayobase: This news made me ask this question, but you observing it as a tribal sentiment as at ur detriment.
Why are the Eastern States being grossly affected with these explosives....what happened to the West and North during the war....no discoveries there yet or what?

The closest the war got to, in the West was Ore, none at all in the North!
All the battle fields were in the South east and the South south.
I was wondering why the Governors of these states had kept mute all these while,sacrificing the lives and limbs of their people?
Re: The Unending War (about 60,000 Discovered Unexploded Remnants Of Civil War) by Idowuogbo(f): 9:06am On Sep 05, 2012
na2day!:

The closest the war got to, in the West was Ore, none at all in the North!
All the battle fields were in the South east and the South south.
I was wondering why the Governors of these states had kept mute all these while,sacrificing the lives and limbs of their people?
I catch u 2day! Were d heck u bin man! angry
Re: The Unending War (about 60,000 Discovered Unexploded Remnants Of Civil War) by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 05, 2012
Hope none will be found in my village! sad
Re: The Unending War (about 60,000 Discovered Unexploded Remnants Of Civil War) by na2day(m): 9:29am On Sep 05, 2012
Idowuogbo:
I catch u 2day! Were d heck u bin man! angry
It seems, many people mistake me for someone else
grin grin grin
Re: The Unending War (about 60,000 Discovered Unexploded Remnants Of Civil War) by na2day(m): 9:34am On Sep 05, 2012
berem: Hope none will be found in my village! sad
Was your village a battlefield?
If it was, the buried munitions will soon start to turn up!

(1) (Reply)

The Platform!! An Audio Interview With Dr.orji Uzor Kalu On Leadership 2015 / Why Some People Want Me Out Of Petroleum Ministry – Deziani / ELECTION HEAT: Gay Marriage And Marijuana Are Now Legal In U.S.A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.