Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,434 members, 7,836,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

From A Ratio Of 1-10 I Would Give Nigerian Women 9- Akon - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / From A Ratio Of 1-10 I Would Give Nigerian Women 9- Akon (1456 Views)

Deloris Frimpong Manso: I Would Love To Make Love 10 Times A Week / AMAA Red Carpet: Eniola Badmus Scores 1/10 (Photo) / Rate This Good Picture Of Tekno Wearing Native On The Scale Of 1 To 10. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

From A Ratio Of 1-10 I Would Give Nigerian Women 9- Akon by yongbabe(f): 12:16pm On Jan 06, 2008
FROM A RATIO OF 1-10 I WOULD GIVE NIGERIAN WOMEN 9- AKON

By Adeola Balogun
Published: Saturday, 5 Jan 2008

American music superstar Akon was in Nigeria recently for this year’s Calabar Christmas Carnival which the state extended to Lagos. Akon spoke to Adeola Balogun about his love for Nigeria, and why he feels Nigeria is one of the best places to make money. How do you feel coming back here to perform for the third time?

I love this country like it is my own fatherland, my second home. I am happy to be here again doing the things that makes me happy.

What fond memories about Nigeria do you have?

It’s like reminding me that I am African every chance I get to come back home whether it is Ghana, Nigeria or Senegal or any other country. I won’t hesitate to come back. There is always a feeling of joy knowing that you are near your roots. To speak the truth, there is a lot of money to be made in Nigeria through performing at shows and I don’t fail to take such chances when and if they come my way.

How would you rate your success as an artiste?

I would rate it pretty good, I am very happy about it. I give special thanks to God who has made it possible for me to get this far in life. I tell you, there is no success without God, so just give it to Him and also my African brothers who have also stood by me. In my moments of despair, they have been very supportive within America and around the world.

You said there was a lot of money in Nigeria; does the entertainment side pull you also to Nigeria?

Well, for entertainment you can get it anywhere. But the money is just what you can get in a very few countries, and Nigeria is just one of these countries in the world.

What is the concept behind your hit song ‘Mama Africa?’

The concept of the song ‘Mama Africa’ is all about educating the people of the world about my roots and also educating other black brothers around the world who don’t know much about Africa where they are from. So, the song is all about educating people about the rich values which Africa possesses, thereby letting people know where I am from. So, I made the song describing Africa in my own words and ways.

You have made so much money through music, what are you doing in terms of giving back to the society?

I have already thought about that. Right now as we speak, I have a foundation called Confidence Foundation. What we do in America is go to schools and hospitals and assist people who need one form of help or the other. We have been doing good since we came up with the Foundation.

What is your perception about Nigerian women?

Nigerian women will get a very high rating from me if I am to judge them by what I have seen about them.

I think they are cool, down to earth and very friendly. So, from the ratio of one to ten I will give them a nine (laughs).

Tell us something about your music label Convict Music?

Convict music is growing stronger by the day, and with time it will take over the music industry in America and indeed the whole of Europe. We have an array of music stars that can hold their own anywhere in the world, so Convict Music is not just going to be an American label but also an African Label.

What is your strongest selling point as an international music artiste?

My strongest selling point is being on stage and doing my thing with so much passion I always have it at the back of my heart to make sure that my fans enjoy every bit of their money, because they are the reason why I am where I am.

Do you have plans to collaborate with Nigerians artistes?

Yes, there is something going on right now and I won’t mention any names because it’s going to be a surprise to all of you. So just keep watching, because you might never know who it will be.

ANOTHER INTERVEIW

I WANT A NIGERIAN BABE- AKON
Photo: Sun News Publishing

He enjoys accolades from across the globe as one of the best singers on show today. No wonder every artist worth the mention in the US is falling over himself or herself to have a collabo with him.

Like every showbiz star of his standing, Akon can sure have his pick of the numerous ladies in the States, who would give anything including an arm to have him.
But the Senegalese-born megastar is looking towards Nigeria for a life partner as he recently told Showbiznow that he is in love with the Nigerian ladies.

The star, who performed alongside the likes of Tuface Idibia, Olu Maintain, Blakky and D’banj among other Nigerian stars at the just concluded Cross River State Christmas Festival, told Sunday Sun that marrying a Nigerian woman was very much on the cards.

“I have been in this country a couple of times and one thing that I must confess is that I love Nigerian women a great deal. They are hard working and enterprising. I may end up marrying one someday.”
Akon hit Nigeria a few years ago on the bill of Solomon Arueya’s West Side Music. Ever since he has been to the country on several occasions.

He spoke on the reasons why he loves coming to Nigeria: “Nigerians are very generous; they are good people. For me, whenever I come here, it is like coming back to my roots and it is a very special experience for me. I am glad to identify with my black brothers.”
However, he admitted making good money in Nigeria. “The kind of money I make playing in Nigeria is awesome I don’t make that kind of money elsewhere.”

He has also fallen in love with Nigerian music. According to him, Nigeria music has the potential to take on the world if well harnessed.
However, contrary to claims attributed to Faze that he had been signed on by his record label, Convict Records, Akon admitted having a relationship with the singer but said that he was still giving the idea of signing him on a thought.

Background
Born Aliaune Damala Bouga in 1973, Akon rose to fame in 2004, following the release of his single "Locked Up" from his debut album Trouble. His second album, Konvicted, earned him a Grammy Award nomination for the single "Smack That."
From humble beginnings, today, he is the most sought after Hip-hop R &B artiste. Among others he is the founder of Konvict Muzik and Kon Live Distribution. He is well known for singing hooks and has over 130 guest appearances and 21 Billboard Hot 100 songs to his credit. He is the only artist to ever accomplish the feat of holding both the number one and two spots simultaneously on the Billboard Hot 100 charts twice.
A Muslim, Akon was born to Senegalese percussionist, Mor Thiam, in ST loius. USA but grew up in Senegal until he was 7. At age 15, he finally settled down in America.

Prison
He recorded his first song, "Operations of Nature," at the age of fifteen but was then subsequently jailed for armed robbery and drug distribution charges. However, he used his time in prison to work on his music. Upon release, he began writing and recording tracks in his home studio. The tapes found their way to SRC/Universal, which released his debut LP Trouble in June 2004. The album is a hybrid of Akon's silky, West African-styled vocals mixed with East Coast and Southern beats. Ever since he has never looked back.

In late 2005, his long time friend and manager Robert Montanez, who Akon referred to as a brother, was killed in a drive-by shooting. He dedicated the album, Konvicted to him. Akon was also in the car and was shot in the shoulder, however he made a full recovery.
In a recent interview with Ebony, Michael Jackson had described the singer as one of the greatest talents of our time. He went on to admit that he wouldn’t mind doing a collabo with him. He has done stuff with the likes of Snoop Doggy Dogg and Eminem among others.

In 2006, he had one of the most successful spans any singer has ever enjoyed with eleven songs in the Billboard Hot 100. Akon's second album, entitled Konvicted, released on November 14, 2006 included collaborations with Eminem, Snoop Dogg and Styles P. n October 5, 2006, Akon broke a record on the Hot 100, as he achieved the largest climb in the chart's 48-year-history with "Smack That" jumping from number 95 to 7.

In December 2006, Akon's "Smack That" was nominated for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the 49th Annual Grammy Awards, but lost to Justin Timberlake and T.I.'s My Love.
In 2006, he started his new record label Kon Live Distribution under Interscope Records. His first signed artist was Earl Ray.
Akon collaborated with Chamillionaire, a Nigerian on his mixtape.

Television and film
Akon has confirmed that a reality television show is in the works. It will be called "My Brother's Keeper" and the point is that Akon's two nearly identical brothers will go around in Atlanta posing as him, fooling people into thinking that it is in fact Akon. They will try to get VIP treatment, girls and free things.
He is also planning to work on a full-length movie titled Illegal Alien and Cocaine Cowboys, which tells the story of Jon Roberts, the main pilot of Medellin Cartel (Colombian drug traffickers).
In February 2007, Akon launched his clothing line, Konvict Clothing. It features urban street wear including denim jeans, hoodies, t-shirts and hats. Aliaune is the upscale version, or high-end line, for males and females, which includes blazers, denim jeans and other items. [25]

DONT YOU JUST LOVE THIS GUY?

(1) (Reply)

Did Osita Iheme (Paw Paw) Attempt Suicide? / Whats Up Wit Denrele N Bleaching! / Uti Nwachukwu To Host Smva 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.