Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,159 members, 7,829,139 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving (11386 Views)

Mobolaji Johnson's Wife, Funmi Is Dead / Governor Ambode Rebukes Reckless Driver In Lagos (Photo) / Ahmadu Ali’s Son Re-arraigned For N4.5b Subsidy Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by freecocoa(f): 11:09am On Sep 06, 2012
maclatunji:

1. The woman was initially charged to court for Manslaughter based on on the old Lagos State Road Traffic Law 2003.

2. The Prosecutor says: "Biko, I don't like the charge" and he withdraws it probably because he knows he cannot win that case. However, he believes that Yinka drove recklessly and has decided to charge her for that crime:

The new charge read, “That you Yinka Johnson ‘on August 10, at about 8:30am at Mega Chicken, Ikota Ajah expressway Lekki, Lagos did drive your Land Rover Jeep with registration No- CY 276 LSD on the highway recklessly by driving your vehicle against oncoming vehicle and without reasonable consideration for other road users and thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 7(b) of the Lagos State Road Traffic Law 2012.”

This new charge is based on the new Lagos State Road Traffic Law 2012.

3. Yinka's lawyer was arguing that the new law was not yet being implemented on August 10 when the said offence occured:

Attempts by the lawyer of the accused, Emeka Okpoko to argue that his client cannot be charged under the new traffic law as it is yet to be enforced proved abortive.

Mr Okpoko argued that various publications in some newspapers gave the impression that the law was yet to take effect as government planned to carry out public enlightenment on the said law before implementing it.

4. Judge says "shut-up" Yinka's Lawyer, the new law was in effect at the time of the alleged crime and can be used against Yinka (August 10, 2012):
The trial Magistrate, Jacob Adegun ruled that the Prosecution has the right to substitute the charge under the law.

I agree with the judge (I am not a lawyer but I am not ignorant tongue).

This is why: Fashola signs Lagos Road Traffic Bill into law http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/fashola-signs-lagos-road-traffic-bill-into-law/ on August 2, 2012.
Okay thank you very much now i gerrit tongue

Anyways i guess she go face the music be that, but the people that bore false witness against her should be punished as well.
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:11am On Sep 06, 2012
I don't think the date it is gazetted has any bearing with the efficacy of the law.

if it was signed, it definitely should have a commencement date in one of its provisions, or in its preamble.

I do recall also that Fashola has said publicly that the law is already in force from he date it was signed.

and i do believe the popular term is "signed into law" wink wink wink wink

ignoratia Juris non excusat
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by brrrr(m): 11:27am On Sep 06, 2012
Wilfred_ng:
"Feeling" for her is what I don't understand here. She earlier got released over this case. Now more fingers points on her from another direction. It is very possible that Mrs Johnson has some questions to answer on that case.

Those Nigerians on costly JEEPS have their way of forcing through traffic. After all, they can pay it off in court. Let her face it, so others can learn. That's my take on this!
. If e pain u go drink garry grin
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by dnawah(m): 11:35am On Sep 06, 2012
They should temper justice with mercy 4 Mrs johnson Bond (0017).person way die don die!nothing go bring am back.he died in line of duty,the goverment & Mrs J.B should see and know what to do 4 the family.
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by josite: 11:38am On Sep 06, 2012
u can all see the confusion now generated by fashola and his justice minister.the minister says the law is not to be enforced rightaway and fashola said enforcement has commenced and mrs johnson counsel is also saying the law is not yet due for enforcement and these are suppose to be doyens at the nigerian bar and all efforts to reach them to clarify issues is yet to succeed.is this how to run a state ?
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by Nobody: 11:40am On Sep 06, 2012
...all we ask is that certain little demands be met. And again, as long as creating an email address remains free of charge, Seun can keep banning, we will only come back stronger..

[/b][/color][/quote]
...Then be prepared to buy new phones, laptops and Desktops, or even new servers, cos it's very easy to block or ban IP addresses.
Come on Madam, you sound so enlightened, I have not stopped wondering why you would engage or support derailments like dat. What's your demand even? Hope it's reasonable and progressive.

@OP: I think Yinka should file her own case as well, maybe that could make her get an out-of-court settlement. And for whether she violated a law or not, Haba, come on guys... She very well did.
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by temodent(m): 11:59am On Sep 06, 2012
I'll suggest this woman should change her lawyer and go get a SAN and be prepared for a long battle which may actually go in her favour depending on the veracity of her legal team cause I think the Government is already double speaking and giving a nice way to escape being prosecuted.
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by Opoki(m): 12:08pm On Sep 06, 2012
@OP i think thr lady needs a deliverance, i'll recommend SCOAN.

Subsidize Garri:

Shattap jor!!

Too much high handedness by the mods led to this..

If you cant tell civil disobedience when you see one, then you must still be a juvenile..

Seun needs to address the concerns of the Garri activists..

Imagine what use to be only about 5 - 10 people spreading like wild fire and Seun thinks banning everybody is the solution..

If he doesnt handle this matter well, the GARRI movement may just be the death of Nairaland as we know it..

Never in my over 7 years on Nairaland has there been an uprising like this before.. Not even the complaints during Nairaland migration from the old site to the New site compares..

This movement was brought about by the constant disregard for Nairalanders and their requests.. We are Nairaland. The posters cant be treated like dirt forever.. Now its time to stick it to the man.

Vox Populi, Vox dei. The voice of the people is the voice of God!

This is the time for negotiations not Antagonism..

#LongLiveGarri

You have spoken well, i've said it before and i'll say it again "Nairaland is not just a product of Seun alone" Its a product of every member but solely own to seun Credits. If he thinks he can ban everyone then we "Garri Lovers Association of Nairaland" can move to another similar forum or create our own forum!

It sum up to nothing banning someone making idiomatic expression about Garri...
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by Reptyle(m): 12:31pm On Sep 06, 2012
justokey: I agree she should face the law. But lawyers in the house please bail me out...Can she be tried with this new law since she committed the offence before the law was signed and gazatted?

I am not a lawyer but methinks that since she committed the crime after the law was signed, she is liable. It was stated then that the law would take immediate effect...even though it had not been gazetted. In some countries, laws only become operational after they are gazetted. Perhaps the situation is different in Lagos. Can any lawyer help with information on this?

Goodluck to her....and that is a sincere prayer not a curse grin

1 Like

Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by hardbody: 12:54pm On Sep 06, 2012
justokey: I agree she should face the law. But lawyers in the house please bail me out...Can she be tried with this new law since she committed the offence before the law was signed and gazatted?

The old law can be referenced into the new law and by 'savings' the new law will take over the provisions of the repealed law. What the law frowns at is to make a law operative in retrospect. In simple terms, YES, if i was the prosecution, i will contest vigorously that she can be tried on the new law, so long as teh transition is captured vides teh opeartion of 'savings'.

However, this is not to say that i agree with the facts of the case, i have never really been interested in reading the matter up. If her hands are not clean, let the law take its course. However, i find it difficult to sympathize with the LASTMA guy, those buf00ns should all be killed off.
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by amiskurie(m): 1:09pm On Sep 06, 2012
So na my backyard the muke-mukeke take hold.. undecided makes me wonder which of the lasma officials.
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by mafolayomi(f): 1:10pm On Sep 06, 2012
texazzpete:

Your take is silly and betrays your Poverty mentality. Why single out Nigerians driving costly jeeps? There are far more Nigerians driving cheaper sedans that take the one-way option. This your complaint about rich people may very well be a Freudian slip.

Thums up to you my bro! just exactly what was running on my mind when i saw this...
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by ejunkie(m): 1:36pm On Sep 06, 2012
hardbody:

The old law can be referenced into the new law and by 'savings' the new law will take over the provisions of the repealed law. What the law frowns at is to make a law operative in retrospect. In simple terms, YES, if i was the prosecution, i will contest vigorously that she can be tried on the new law, so long as teh transition is captured vides teh opeartion of 'savings'.

However, this is not to say that i agree with the facts of the case, i have never really been interested in reading the matter up. If her hands are not clean, let the law take its course. However, i find it difficult to sympathize with the LASTMA guy, those buf00ns should all be killed off.

Ideally, wrong-doers should face the law straight. However this case is far from straight forward.

1. In any civilised country, after this woman has been falsely accoused of such a GRAVE offence as murder and wrongfully detained for 4 nights in Panti with the attendant psychological torture, this traffic offence charge would have been dropped.

2. The Lastma officials who gave SWORN false statements against should have been sacked and prosecuted for perjury by a law enforcement official. This is not the case as they were at the court yesterday stomping around with arrogance.

3. The new law was signed on the 2nd, August but only gazzeted in the last week of August. This incident occured on the 10th. So the law is not applicable because;
3.1 The law can not be applied before it is Gazzeted .
3.2 The state ministry of transport announced the law will commence from September. Here is an article quoting the Deputy Gov. and Attorney General of the state attesting to that fact - http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/new-lagos-traffic-law-now-operational/

4. This one way offence is debatable, as that is what the estate residents have to do to cross the road since the construction started. Why didnt Lastma put a warning there for drivers to desist. No, jump in front of the posh looking cars why don't you. (see attached pictures of how drivers drive the one way to cross the road). I am not saying it is right. But if state construction, creates a potential for reckless driving, should the state not provide adequate warnings and signs?

5. Finally, if the state wants to make an example of everybody, then the state should stop this witch hunt against this woman and start with the Lastma Officials that swore false testimony then we will all know for a fact that the law is being upheld. A woman's reputation has been damaged and she has suffered detention in Panti for days and no one goes unpunished? truly we hail Nigeria. Eko o ni o ti fe' ba'a je'

Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by demmie1: 3:12pm On Sep 06, 2012
Wilfred_ng:
"Feeling" for her is what I don't understand here. She earlier got released over this case. Now more fingers points on her from another direction. It is very possible that Mrs Johnson has some questions to answer on that case.

Those Nigerians on costly JEEPS have their way of forcing through traffic. After all, they can pay it off in court. Let her face it, so others can learn. That's my take on this!
dot you problem with people with jeep cos you don't have one? the former case was manslaughter not one way driving. next time read the post before you yab.
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by ifeegee(f): 3:22pm On Sep 06, 2012
Honestly,when I see people drive against traffic,what comes to mind is mental illness,cos I just don't get the rational behind such actions.
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by Akainzo(m): 3:41pm On Sep 06, 2012
ejunkie:
Ideally, wrong-doers should face the law straight. However this case is far from straight forward.

3. The new law was signed on the 2nd, August but only gazzeted in the last week of August. This incident occured on the 10th. So the law is not applicable because;
3.1 The law can not be applied before it is Gazzeted .
3.2 The state ministry of transport announced the law will commence from September. Here is an article quoting the Deputy Gov. and Attorney General of the state attesting to that fact - http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/new-lagos-traffic-law-now-operational/

Many of us gets this mixed up, a law comes into effect in Nigeria WHEN it is signed. A gazzette is just a publication and not an indication of when it comes into effect. For avoidance of doubt, the date a law comes into effect is determined by
a. The date the law is signed by the authority (Governor or President)
b. The effective date of the law as stipulated in the law itself (so long as it is not earlier than the date the law is signed)

Now whichever of this TWO dates is later, is the effective date of the law.

ejunkie:
4. This one way offence is debatable, as that is what the estate residents have to do to cross the road since the construction started. Why didnt Lastma put a warning there for drivers to desist. No, jump in front of the posh looking cars why don't you. (see attached pictures of how drivers drive the one way to cross the road). I am not saying it is right. But if state construction, creates a potential for reckless driving, should the state not provide adequate warnings and signs?

LASTMA need not put a sign there, every licensed driver joining a dual carriageway should know that it is one-directional lane. However, a sign MUST be placed there if due to some extraneous issue the road has to be chnaged to a two-directional lane.

ejunkie:
5. Finally, if the state wants to make an example of everybody, then the state should stop this witch hunt against this woman and start with the Lastma Officials that swore false testimony then we will all know for a fact that the law is being upheld. A woman's reputation has been damaged and she has suffered detention in Panti for days and no one goes unpunished? truly we hail Nigeria. Eko o ni o ti fe' ba'a je'

That she was wrongly accused of murder does not, and should not exonerate her from facing the right charge of breaking the traffic law. It is her perosnal choice to press charges against the LASTMA officials that bore witness against her, if she decides to, it is her discretion but it does not affect her facing the right traffic offence.
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by ejunkie(m): 4:45pm On Sep 06, 2012
@ Akainzo

As i mentioned earlier the case is debatable.

You failed to address the fact that the State itself announced that the law was not enforceable till September 1. Following this, you cannot retro-actively enforce a law. That in itself voids the application of the law in this case.

With regards to the traffic offence charge, if the charge cannot be dropped after putting her through such an ordeal, then where is fairness in justice? Where is our humanity?? We might as well apply the law of the Jungle.

You mentioned that she should press charges against the Lastma officials....well, name 1 case where an average memeber of the Nigerian public has pressed charges against public authority and won.
Lets not talk like our heads are in the sand.

Everyday, people's lives, rights and well being are being violated by the authorities we look to for protection. The only reason why shes not still sleeping in Panti was because of the public outcry and all the eye witness that came forward to refute the Lastma false accusations.

The bottom line is, the woman has been through enough. What the state is now doing is being the worst bully on the block.
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by Akainzo(m): 5:05pm On Sep 06, 2012
ejunkie: @ Akainzo

As i mentioned earlier the case is debatable.

You failed to address the fact that the State itself announced that the law was not enforceable till September 1. Following this, you cannot retro-actively enforce a law. That in itself voids the application of the law in this case.

I am aware that Fashola stated explicitly on signing the bill that it takes immediate effect. The only way it would take effect at any later time than when signed into law, is if there is a provision in the law itself for a future enforcement. In this case, there was none, thus the law took immediate effect upon being signed into law.

ejunkie: With regards to the traffic offence charge, if the charge cannot be dropped after putting her through such an ordeal, then where is fairness in justice? Where is our humanity?? We might as well apply the law of the Jungle.

If you were OJ Simpson's relative, would you have abandoned the civil case that found him guilty? Does being falsely accused of another charge remove you from the one you actually committed?

ejunkie: You mentioned that she should press charges against the Lastma officials....well, name 1 case where an average memeber of the Nigerian public has pressed charges against public authority and won.
Lets not talk like our heads are in the sand. [/bold]

Yeah, sure I can, do you remember the case of Miss Uzoma Okere , you can read it up here: https://www.nairaland.com/468031/assault-arogundade-navy-lose-appeal

ejunkie: Everyday, people's lives, rights and well being are being violated by the authorities we look to for protection. The only reason why shes not still sleeping in Panti was because of the public outcry and all the eye witness that came forward to refute the Lastma false accusations.

The bottom line is, the woman has been through enough. What the state is now doing is being the worst bully on the block.

Everyday also, people's lives, rights and well being are being violated by ordinary well to do people who take the laws into their hands jsut because they have money and can get away with it. There is no sentiments in this issue, she drove against traffic, that is an offence, both under the old law and the new law. It is therefore surprising that you'd be asking for her to walk free after breakinhg the law while asking for the same government to be stedfast in implementing the laws to protect its citizens.
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by pablouche: 5:22pm On Sep 06, 2012
[quote author=Myself2]

Why so much hatred/beef,I dont get what you mean by the above highlighted;did anybody stop you from owning a costly jeep?why not concentrate on the crux of the matter and redirect your very glaring poverty-induced frustrations someplace else
...lmao. Poverty no gud oh
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by methodman(m): 6:55pm On Sep 06, 2012
Bortu y?
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by Limaoscar: 11:50am On Sep 07, 2012

Hear yourself again dude, you are so pathetic.....who said you should not buy yourself "costly JEEPS"?
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by ejunkie(m): 4:00pm On Sep 07, 2012
Akainzo:

I am aware that Fashola stated explicitly on signing the bill that it takes immediate effect. The only way it would take effect at any later time than when signed into law, is if there is a provision in the law itself for a future enforcement. In this case, there was none, thus the law took immediate effect upon being signed into law.

If you were OJ Simpson's relative, would you have abandoned the civil case that found him guilty? Does being falsely accused of another charge remove you from the one you actually committed?

Yeah, sure I can, do you remember the case of Miss Uzoma Okere , you can read it up here: https://www.nairaland.com/468031/assault-arogundade-navy-lose-appeal

Everyday also, people's lives, rights and well being are being violated by ordinary well to do people who take the laws into their hands jsut because they have money and can get away with it. There is no sentiments in this issue, she drove against traffic, that is an offence, both under the old law and the new law. It is therefore surprising that you'd be asking for her to walk free after breakinhg the law while asking for the same government to be stedfast in implementing the laws to protect its citizens.

I knew you would reference the Naval case. She only won cause Fashola did PR with her case. I am happy he did though, because it benefited a hapless citizen, but that certainly doesn't prove that an average person can challenge the authorities and win.

Fact still remains that there's massive grounds for compassion in the application of the law. If robbers and killers in our nation are going scott free in the face of the law just cause of money an connection...then the state should do right and let her off after her ordeal. Yes, it may sound foreign to you but the law is actually supposed to be compassionate in cases such as this.

After all, if she had money or connection, this wont be happening.
Re: Yinka Johnson Re-arraigned For Reckless Driving by Akainzo(m): 5:54pm On Sep 11, 2012
ejunkie:

I knew you would reference the Naval case. She only won cause Fashola did PR with her case. I am happy he did though, because it benefited a hapless citizen, but that certainly doesn't prove that an average person can challenge the authorities and win.

Fact still remains that there's massive grounds for compassion in the application of the law. If robbers and killers in our nation are going scott free in the face of the law just cause of money an connection...then the state should do right and let her off after her ordeal. Yes, it may sound foreign to you but the law is actually supposed to be compassionate in cases such as this.

After all, if she had money or connection, this wont be happening.

And by which measure would we then decide when to be compassionate and where to apply the letter of the law?

If a man was caught raping your daughter/sister and was beaten up by onlookers, would you tell the police that the man should walk away as he has already been beaten up?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Omisore Has No Masked Security Escort - PDP / Buhari Celebrates Ex-president Obasanjo At 79 / Ekiti PDP: Court Voids Fayose’s Congress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.