Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? (4176 Views)

Ofe Akwu Vs Tomato Stew / How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It / Christmas Stew Got Burnt Because I Was Carried Away By A Movie"caroline Shoes" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? by nusdog: 3:36pm On Sep 06, 2012
Most of the recipes for tomato stew I've seen people cook recommend first boiling your ground fresh tomatoes and pepper to remove water before frying. The subsequent steps also involve adding water again, this is where the whole stuff makes no sense to me.

My question is, considering the high cost of energy, can one skip the boiling part and fry ground fresh tomatoes direct? Has anyone ever tried this with a good result? Experienced cooks in the house over to you.
Re: Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? by hannydarl(f): 5:56pm On Sep 06, 2012
I don't pre cook mine. Just grind, dice or mash with little or no water and pour into the pot with your hot oil, Onion peper and spice. Just give it time to cook to the consistency you want.
Re: Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? by nusdog: 9:33pm On Sep 06, 2012
hannydarl: I don't pre cook mine. Just grind, dice or mash with little or no water and pour into the pot with your hot oil, Onion peper and spice. Just give it time to cook to the consistency you want.

will the taste be the same or different?
Re: Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? by tjskii(f): 11:12am On Sep 07, 2012
Of course u can skip boiling and just fry it,but the taste is different,I stil prefer boiling it first
Re: Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? by tutulicious(f): 7:45pm On Sep 07, 2012
it can taste d same, all u ve to do is. 1 u need to be patient when u cook, 2 with all necessary ingrednt in place pour plenty oil in ur sauce pan or pot, when hot add ur onions, and pour ur grind tomatoes, in dont stir, allow the tomatoes to cook untill the water in it reduces/drys off and u can see the oil only, at this point if u want to put tin tomatoes u can add it, and as well add every oda tin u want to. ok why u evapourates the water in the tomates is cos of the sour taste, its jos lyk frying meat dry and putting it back to d soup/stew. This is d way i cook mine anyway, i hope my post was helpful?
Re: Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? by cdamsel(f): 9:21pm On Sep 07, 2012
4m ur post I c say u no get power 2 cook @ all.u can get a seive(one wit tight holes)after blending u boil 4 like 5mins den just pour it in d seive den allow d water go off,wen its dry u can now fry.don't use a seive wit big holes oh,if nt all d tomatoes go just throwway.u don't ve 2 boil b4 u fry,if u fry straight u still get d same taste,u just ve 2 leave it 2 dry dats all.after u pay me 4 dis tutorial,no b 4 free oh

1 Like

Re: Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? by nusdog: 7:15pm On Sep 08, 2012
cdamsel: 4m ur post I c say u no get power 2 cook

No, not that. The rising cost of energy is the concern. There's a need to review all processes to take out the unnecessary ones.
Re: Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 10, 2012
skip boiling and go straight to frying.
Re: Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? by hannydarl(f): 8:20pm On Sep 10, 2012
nusdog:

will the taste be the same or different?

I like it better so to me it tastes better. Just don't add too much water when blending. When I blend I add a little water to the first batch if tomato is not juicy enough. Then I just add seed lil by lil using the first batch as liquid. When blender gets full I turn out some and still remain some as base to continue blending instead of adding water. That way I have a bit thicker paste to work with. And does not require too much time to cook dry.
If you ask me sha o, I think its same time and amount of energy. If you pre cook and have your meat steamed already the stew will not need too much time to cook. If you don't pre cook tomato you will wait longer to get it cooked and thicken.
Re: Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? by heavensown: 9:18pm On Sep 14, 2012
I never boil tomotoes. Just ensure you blend with as little water as possible and ensure that the oil is VERY HOT before you fry. Fry the onions first (only for a few seconds because the oil is very hot and the onions will start to burn)then add the blended tomatoes, pepper and onions. allow to dry to the needed consistency before spicing and addning the meat stock, meat etc. Believe me, stew tastes better this way.

(1) (Reply)

Xmas Cake Here: / I Just Finished Eating This Sexy Bread. (PICTURES) / Oyinbo Soup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.