Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:41 AM

N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals (8906 Views)

Kim Jong Un EXECUTES New Airport Architect – Because He Didn’t Like The Design / Abuja New Airport Terminal Ready In Sixmonths- Chidoka / Abuja Light Rail, New Airport Terminals To Be Completed By 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by billante(m): 5:31pm On Sep 06, 2012
The Federal Government has approved N106 billion for the construction of 11 new international airport terminal buildings, Aviation Minister Stella Oduah announced on Thursday.

Oduah told a news conference in Abuja that the amount was approved at the Federal Executive Council meeting on Wednesday.

She said the new international terminal projects were different from the ongoing remodeling and reconstruction of 11 airports in the country.

She said the 11 new projects would include five international terminals for commercial flights and six for perishable cargoes.

Odual also said that the FEC had given approval for the award of contracts for the ``immediate take off of construction work on the five terminals for international flights.

They are Lagos, Kano, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Enugu.

The six perishable cargo terminals will be in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Kano and Asaba.

Oduah said that the projects were part of the government's road map to achieve its transformation agenda in the aviation sector.

``The second phase in our implementation strategy of the Road Map which falls under the medium term programme of action is the construction of five new international terminals in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, Kano and Enugu.

``Only yesterday, we achieved a significant milestone in this regard when Mr President and the FEC graciously granted approval for the award of contract for the immediate take-off of construction work on these terminals.

``For us as a ministry and government, we consider this development a huge opportunity to put to practical effect, the present administration's Transformation Agenda,'' Oduah said.

The minister said that the first phase of the remodeling and construction of 11 airports would be completed in the next 90 days, while the contract for the second phase of another 11 airports would take two years before completion.

She explained that the projects were to be executed with a concessionary loan from China Nexim Bank in 22 years with 5 years moratorium at an interest rate of 2 per cent. Oduah added that mobilisation to site by the contractors was expected to commence in the next 90 days. ``What this means is that before the end of the lifespan of this administration, we would have been able to bequeath to Nigerians the airports of their dreams.

``Our dream is to also strive to transform Nigeria's aviation sector into a major contributor to the nation's GDP and the airports are pivotal to the actualisation of this dream. ``The award of contracts for the construction of the new international airport terminals will, therefore, be a significant first step in this direction,'' she said. Oduah said the third phase of the implementation strategy of the aviation transformation was the Aerotropolis project -- airport cities that provide clusters of businesses.

According to her, the Aerotropolis will provide businesses in manufacturing, Information and Communication Technology (ICT) amongst others. ``Recently, we embarked on an international Investors' Road Show to China, Canada and the United States of America (USA) to market the huge opportunities that abound for investment in the nation's aviation sector.

``Again, I am very happy to inform you that our team was not only well received in those countries, but also quite significant, is the fact that the trip has begun to yield great results.

``In a few days' time, I shall be returning to China to sign a contract for the take off of construction work on the five brand new terminals. We shall also use the opportunity to conclude discussions with the investors that have shown tremendous interest and enthusiasm to invest in the Aerotroplis project,'' Oduah said.

Eleven airports that are currently undergoing reconstruction are Murtala Muhammed International Airport and the General Aviation Terminal (GAT), Lagos; the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja; Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa; the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu and the Malam Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano. Others are Margaret Ekpo International Airport, Calabar, Yakubu Gowon Airport, Jos; the airports in Yola, Kaduna and Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri.

(NAN)

www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/44067-fg-approves-n106bn-for-construction-of-new-airport-terminals
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by billante(m): 5:38pm On Sep 06, 2012
GEJ admnistration has gotten serious and has entered full throttle!! His 2013 promise might not be an empty promise after all!!

Fresh AIR indeed! cool
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by PapaBrowne(m): 8:53pm On Sep 06, 2012
This Government is doing things that were not done in the last 25 years in Nigeria.

Power- For the first time, We are feeling the impact.

Agriculture- Tremendous change is happening there!

Roads- There is highway construction happening in every region and they are countless. It could be faster.

Railways- Small small renovations of tracks. We need faster tracks.

Airports- Not only have they remodelled the horrible prisons we called airports, they are building brand new terminals!! Excellent!

The Police- The police force has begun to solve very mysterious murder cases in very explained fashion.

There are only two area this Government has not yet hit a home run- 1) Corruption 2) National security!

We need to accord them accolades when they perform!! And I think they are sitting up fast!!

5 Likes

Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by ojiofogana: 8:54pm On Sep 06, 2012
this is the a great news
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by ojiofogana: 8:58pm On Sep 06, 2012
billante: GEJ admnistration has gotten serious and has entered full throttle!! His 2013 promise might not be an empty promise after all!!

Fresh AIR indeed! cool

indeed
gej is working really hard
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by debosky(m): 9:48pm On Sep 06, 2012
So Nigeria needs to loan 106 bn to refurbish its airports?

How much has been given away in fake subsidy to cronies of the PDP that could easily be recouped and used to revamp the airports?

Fresh air indeed - increasing Nigeria's indebtedness to do something that is clearly within the affordability of Nigeria's Federal Government.

I'll wait to see the project completed before passing further comments - after all, awarding fat contracts has never been the problem for Nigeria

1 Like

Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by ojiofogana: 9:58pm On Sep 06, 2012
debosky: So Nigeria needs to loan 106 bn to refurbish its airports?

How much has been given away in fake subsidy to cronies of the PDP that could easily be recouped and used to revamp the airports?

Fresh air indeed - increasing Nigeria's indebtedness to do something that is clearly within the affordability of Nigeria's Federal Government.

I'll wait to see the project completed before passing further comments - after all, awarding fat contracts has never been the problem for Nigeria

oga we need the airport. we should fund it by any means available
this won't stop the theft going on
at least the airports will be there for all to see and use

1 Like

Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by billante(m): 10:12pm On Sep 06, 2012
debosky: So Nigeria needs to loan 106 bn to refurbish its airports?

Dude its brand new terminals that are going to be constructed with the loan, not refurbished.... The govt has like a thousand projects going on, you don't expect them to have the finances to fund each project! Beside there is nothing wrong with the loan! Its soft and can be paid back comfortable.

1 Like

Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by debosky(m): 10:23pm On Sep 06, 2012
billante:
Dude its brand new terminals that are going to be constructed with the loan, not refurbished.... The govt has like a thousand projects going on, you don't expect them to have the finances to fund each project! Beside there is nothing wrong with the loan! Its soft and can be paid back comfortable.

Why initiate another airport project without completing the first one? Why do we need to refurbish 11 terminals AND build 11 new terminals as well? Where is the feasibility/viability studies justifying 6 perishable goods cargo airports?

I do not see the rush to build new terminals when the existing ones are not functioning as required or properly maintained.

2 Likes

Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by billante(m): 11:03pm On Sep 06, 2012
debosky:

Why initiate another airport project without completing the first one? Why do we need to refurbish 11 terminals AND build 11 new terminals as well? Where is the feasibility/viability studies justifying 6 perishable goods cargo airports?

I do not see the rush to build new terminals when the existing ones are not functioning as required or properly maintained.

Pls don't talk what u don't know!! That was a mediocre comment you made!! Just read what u typed, think about it and I will come back to elighten you!
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by Nobody: 11:22pm On Sep 06, 2012
I'm not sure about Jonathan and his govt but sincerely speaking there are areas where visbile changes or movements are being made.

This airport business happens to be one of those. Anyone in doubt should visit the MMIA. Enugu is another. I will not hesitate to give him a thumbs up. However, the money being relised for these projects. . . .PHWOAR!!! Someones pocket is getting lined!

2 Likes

Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:42pm On Sep 06, 2012
Saw this story on the news this evening. I think businessday online may have got their facts wrong over the location of the cargo terminals, as i specifically heard the Minister mention they would be located in each of the geo-political zones. Hence the number being 6.

So any renders yet.....or are they putting the cart b/4 the horse on this one?
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by billante(m): 12:06am On Sep 07, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
Saw this story on the news this evening. I think businessday online may have got their facts wrong over the location of the cargo terminals, as i specifically heard the Minister mention they would be located in each of the geo-political zones. Hence the number being 6.

So any renders yet.....or are they putting the cart b/4 the horse on this one?

Those six cities are correct! They are d cities d minister called.... Beside they are in all d six geo-political zones except north east which was replaced with asaba!! Since those cave men don't want civilization!

In case of tenders! I think since china is providing the loan, chinese companies will also do d construction.
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:22am On Sep 07, 2012
billante:

Those six cities are correct! They are d cities d minister called.... Beside they are in all d six geo-political zones except north east which was replaced with asaba!! Since those cave men don't want civilization!

In case of tenders! I think since china is providing the loan, chinese companies will also do d construction.

^^^Well, i suppose they've seen the way the bokites are using vex to blow up every GSM mast in sight, and levelling any associated office.....so they figured such a fate may befall their airport, hence the reluctance to site any terminal project there; the poor Chinese investors must have refused point-blank to have anything to do with that volatile region....you might be on to something undecided.

But the gov't could then have picked Sokoto airport, to target agricutural related exports from that end.
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by pazienza(m): 12:55am On Sep 07, 2012
Asaba,Enugu and PH. Well this south south thing is not that bad,Ekwueme might be right afterall.

2 Likes

Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by billante(m): 10:11am On Sep 07, 2012
pazienza: Asaba,Enugu and PH. Well this south south thing is not that bad,Ekwueme might be right afterall.

I don't get you!
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by asha80(m): 10:17am On Sep 07, 2012
as the fg wants to upgrade the enugu airport they also have fully repair enugu onisha and enugu ph highways as most people landing in this airport are likely to use the aformentioned roads
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by billante(m): 10:25am On Sep 07, 2012
asha 80: as the fg wants to upgrade the enugu airport they also have fully repair enugu onisha and enugu ph highways as most people landing in this airport are likely to use the aformentioned roads

The two roads are getting attention! Slow now but will get faster after the raining season which is almost over! The contractor on onitsha-enugu highway just receive funding from SURE-P program and has no reason not to expedite work on d road.
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by warrior01: 10:29am On Sep 07, 2012
Good news coming out of my country; welldone Gej
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:32am On Sep 07, 2012
asha 80: as the fg wants to upgrade the enugu airport they also have fully repair enugu onisha and enugu ph highways as most people landing in this airport are likely to use the aformentioned roads

^^^Good point, but i wish the South East Governors would -on a PPP basis- make moves to construct a regional/modern rail network linking the cities of Onitsha, Nnewi, Enugu, Nsukka, Abakaliki, Awka, Owerri, Oguta, Umuahia and Aba; linking up with cities in the South South like Port Harcourt, Uyo, Calabar, Asaba and Warri.....with commitment and the right leadership (like a Nnaji or Akunyili overseeing things) it's possible.

1 Like

Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by billante(m): 10:40am On Sep 07, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Good point, but i wish the South East Governors would -on a PPP basis- make moves to construct a regional/modern rail network linking the cities of Onitsha, Nnewi, Enugu, Nsukka, Abakaliki, Awka, Owerri, Oguta, Umuahia and Aba; linking up with cities in the South South like Port Harcourt, Uyo, Calabar, Asaba and Warri.....with commitment and the right leadership (like a Nnaji or Akunyili overseeing things) it's possible.

Most of these cities you called are not d same path!! I wonder how a rail track can connect them!?
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by dedeike: 10:59am On Sep 07, 2012
PapaBrowne: This Government is doing things that were not done in the last 25 years in Nigeria.

Roads- There is highway construction happening in every region and they are countless. It could be faster.

Airports- Not only have they remodelled the horrible prisons we called airports, they are building brand new terminals!! Excellent!

The Police- The police force has begun to solve very mysterious murder cases in very explained fashion.

There are only two area this Government has not yet hit a home run- 1) Corruption 2) National security!

We need to accord them accolades when they perform!! And I think they are sitting up fast!!

Even on corruption, the government has hit the ground running. There has been revolutionary probes into our public finances and oil revenue.
Increasingly, accountability and transperancy has become a key issue in an oil sector hitherto shrouded in secrecy. More than ever before, govt initiated investigations into subsidy management in this country.
They also took the bold step to transfer subsidy funds from first line charges to the national budget for accountability. Any informed Nigerian can now access the exact amounts slated for subsidy yearly. Gradually, we are witnessing the criminal prosecution of untouchable subsidy cabal. The minister of Finance is fighting it out with marketers over subsidy claims. Probity is gradually setting in.

For the first time, a probe report is conclusive and being enforced with a long list of indictees meant to refund over 400 billion Naira to national coffers.
The budget bazaar is over as the minister of finance insists on thorough verification before release of funds.
Pension scammers are being exposed and currently standing trial.
EFCC is set to charge more suspects when the courts resume next week.
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by pazienza(m): 11:12am On Sep 07, 2012
billante:

I don't get you!

We got a double portion,thanks to south south cloak.
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 07, 2012
Fresh air!!! grin grin grin
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by profola2be(m): 12:20pm On Sep 07, 2012
dedeike:

Even on corruption, the government has hit the ground running. There has been revolutionary probes into our public finances and oil revenue.
Increasingly, accountability and transperancy has become a key issue in an oil sector hitherto shrouded in secrecy. More than ever before, govt initiated investigations into subsidy management in this country.
They also took the bold step to transfer subsidy funds from first line charges to the national budget for accountability. Any informed Nigerian can now access the exact amounts slated for subsidy yearly. Gradually, we are witnessing the criminal prosecution of untouchable subsidy cabal. The minister of Finance is fighting it out with marketers over subsidy claims. Probity is gradually setting in.

For the first time, a probe report is conclusive and being enforced with a long list of indictees meant to refund over 400 billion Naira to national coffers.
The budget bazaar is over as the minister of finance insists on thorough verification before release of funds.

infact,Jonathan is the best thing that has ever happened to Nigeria! Abi na lie i lie
shioor!

1 Like

Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by Nobody: 12:23pm On Sep 07, 2012
good move.......but like every other contract in Nigeria, the amount is inflated IMO.
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 07, 2012
ENUGU airport should be given priority.

1 Like

Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by chatterly: 12:25pm On Sep 07, 2012
Nice development but 2 points come to mind
1.Who are the contractors going to build this project and who is going to properly supervise them to make sure they build according to specification.
2.The so called rehabilitation at MMIA is a disgrace and i wont be surprised if the place comes out worse than it was originally,from what i can see ,the contractors dont have the requisite experience in this kind of job and i doubt if any tenders were done for the project.The soundproof and shatterproof glass that strabag installed in 1978 are being replaced by some thin cheap looking glass.Airport glass is of a special config and i remember that a concorde once landed at MMIA for refuelling when it was going on a worldwide trip.A trip to the nwe toilets will also convince u of the quality of the job being done,marble in a public toilet!!!!!!!!but they are already falling apart and leaking.
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by Dollarman101: 12:29pm On Sep 07, 2012
PapaBrowne: This Government is doing things that were not done in the last 25 years in Nigeria.

dedeike:

Bros, sometimes I feel like the Nigerian media and opposition have been unduly critical of this govt. I have this strong feeling that despite all the curses and abuses, Jonathan may turn out to be the best president in history

1 Like

Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by duality(m): 12:29pm On Sep 07, 2012
Good!!!. I believe the right things should be done whatever it takes.
Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by Nobody: 12:32pm On Sep 07, 2012

Chief.. FACTS (Statistics) will prove the last 3 points you have made, not talk.
1: There are at least 50 high-profile murders that the Nigerian Police have not uncovered even the slightest clue and revealed to the public. infact all Political Murders are still hanging in the limbo of suspended disbelief. please do not mention Oshiomole's PA (2 Groups are claiming to be responsible grin) and both are in the Police net, we have not heard of a trial or execution. let us not even go to rampant muggings and kidnappings within areas surrounding the National Police College and all its numerous Police stations and presence. what about rising case of missing persons during Oro festival in this our very own cosmopolitan EKO shocked
2: Corruption - The Police cannot be a force of anti-corruption, have you ever been to the Police Data-Center (supposedly the central Information System for the entire Nigerian Police Force), that contract has been re-awarded 7 times. I wish you would go there and actually look at what the Police refer to as a Data-Center.. The Police is Corrupt and they have built a sustainable Framework that will outlast any reform strategy
3: National Security.. I assume you have taken time to look at the FG budget for Security.. how can you explain the divergent performance between a fully-funded Police Force and a rising crime rate.. my guess is the funds are not used for Security Initiatives. Nigeria happens to be a hot zone for the trade and smuggling of arms in the West African Region.. haba. please tell me you know this for a fact. We simply pay Lip-Service to National Security.. nothing more otherwise how would a common US Secretary get soo much information on Nigeria's Security environment and so-called classified information before the Nigerian public can. Thanks to Wiki Leaks we now understand why most of our leaders behave the way they do and why some stranger things have happened lately.. even though only Nigerian Leaders deny the credibility of Wiki-leaks.. ONLY Nigerians

1 Like

Re: N106BN Approved For New Airport Terminals by Bukkyade: 12:32pm On Sep 07, 2012
Gej is really working. Each passing day, we hear and discuss news of his developmental strides. The other day he was in Anambra to commission the new sea ports and oil refinery. The next thing, we heard about the visit/inspection of Enugu-Onitsha road and the assurance of the minister to expedite action. By Wednesday, the information minister announced the re award of so many road projects under the SURE P including the Enugu-Onitsha axis and phase 2 of the Benin-Sagamu, and Kano-Maidugri. We also discussed on this forum last week, the AIT's report on resumption of the Kaduna-Niger railway operations. In that same thread, it was stated that so many rail tracks are being refurbished including the Lagos-Kano and Abuja-kaduna etc.

The steady power supply and privatisation dominated discussions last week following Barth NNaji's resignation as power Minister. There was general consensus that power had improved nationwide and urged the president to sustain the present trend. Both critics and opposition alike acknowledged the giant strides recorded by the Jonathan govt on power. Yesterday, MAN came out with a public declaration that 250 companies came up in the last one year of Jonathan.
A thread was created on Nairaland for YOUWIN 2. By Tuesday, Jonathan had launched it and reserved it exclusively for women participation. Sometime last week, we applauded the smooth takeoff of the SOVERIGN WEALTH FUND as Ngozi Iweala inaugurated a board of proffesionals to run it. I read on twitter yesterday several reports by EFCC restating its preparedness to charge more subsidy thieves when the courts return from vacation.

Just when it appeared that oil markerters were going to plunge Abuja into another hardship of long queues over Subsidy claims, the FG came out publicly with facts of how they have met all genuine outstanding subsidy claims. They also cautioned against panic buying as the FG assured of enough supplies to last for the next one month.

On this thread, we are discussing the massive remodeling and reconstruction of our airports. GEJ IS REALLY WORKING. LET'S FACE IT

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I’m A Product Of God’s Special Mercy, Protection - Osinbajo / Happy Birthday To President Goodluck Jonathan / Tinubu Sets Up Constitutional Review Committee On Police Reforms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.