Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? (6209 Views)

... / How To Apply Blush Without Looking Flushed 2 / How To Apply Blush Without Looking Flushed 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 10:44am On Sep 07, 2012

Aug 28, 2012 12:00 AM EDT

Dare to Try a ‘Mirror Fast’?
by Lauren Gelman

Could you go a month—or even a year—without looking at yourself in the mirror? It’s a new trend among people who say that constantly checking their appearance made them too obsessed with their body image, according to recent reports in The New York Times and on The Today Show.

Mirror abstainers claim that steering clear of the looking glass allowed them to focus their energy and attention on more important things. One woman, a 29-year-old graduate student who avoided mirrors for a whole year, wrote on her blog via the Times, “all the other interesting things in my life — my goals, passions, friends, family, favorite hobbies, etc. — have attracted the energy and attention I used to give to my looks.”

And lest you worry about shaving nicks and messy eyeliner, you can set your own parameters. One mirror faster, Autumn Whitefield-Madrano, 36, allowed herself to use a small (one inch-by-one inch) hand mirror to apply makeup during her first monthlong fast (she did it by feel during the second).

But some experts say we shouldn’t be so quick to make mirrors the villain, noting that taking great pains to avoid them can be a sign of obsessiveness too, and that it’s more important to find ways to look at yourself through an accepting, instead of critical, lens.

Personally, I think there’s definitely something to be said for cutting down on those stealthy check-ins we tend to make all day long without consciously realizing it. And I want to try to avoid glancing at the bathroom mirror at work to see if my legs look thin in my jeans or if my curls are too frizzy or flat. But shunning mirrors for a whole month seems like a tad too much work.

What do you think—would you try a mirror fast, and for how long?

Source: http://www.rd.com/recommends/dare-to-try-a-%E2%80%98mirror-fast/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtCzTBfljuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoqWG02beM
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Emmy9ite(m): 11:33am On Sep 07, 2012
Just 2 days.my phone's screen guard is a mirror. I must barb, there are mirrors in the four corners of the barbinq saloon.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by kandiikane(m): 1:25am On Sep 10, 2012
Wow, I don't know mehn. I am always looking, like every single day, every few minutes. Phone, tv, cars, windows, anywhere I can find a reflect. It's a really bad habit I have. undecided

It's not vanity. Just... I don't know.

I don't think I'll be able to. undecided
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 1:55am On Sep 10, 2012
I can't go even a day without it please. This is not even about being vain, I don't rely on people to tell me whether I look good or bad, the mirror tells me. grin grin grin I don't give a damn what they think. (Only my husband I care about)

And we all have our good and bad days, sometimes we look bad, and sometimes we look good. If I was to look bad on this particural day, I can atleast do a lil extra to look a bit better.

Without the mirror, how am I gonna know? Since I don't care or listen to people.

I say pineapples to that mirro fasting abi.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by kandiikane(m): 2:00am On Sep 10, 2012
^ grin 'grin grin

..Erm, I've never had a bad day. cheesy

Aha, I'm just messing. I hate when I have my bad days. I try to catch a glimpse of my reflection on every surface even more.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 2:24am On Sep 10, 2012
kandiikane: ^ grin 'grin grin

..Erm, I've never had a bad day. cheesy

Aha, I'm just messing. I hate when I have my bad days. I try to catch a glimpse of my reflection on every surface even more.

I was gonna tell U write a book and share your secret. It will be a best seller. grin
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by kandiikane(m): 1:02pm On Sep 10, 2012
One day, one day. grin
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Dozieson(m): 4:13pm On Sep 10, 2012
like 3 months
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Joey82(m): 4:23pm On Sep 10, 2012
i only look at the mirror when am at the barber's place.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by dangerzone: 4:32pm On Sep 10, 2012
rokiatu: I can't go even a day without it please. This is not even about being vain, I don't rely on people to tell me whether I look good or bad, the mirror tells me. grin grin grin I don't give a damn what they think. (Only my husband I care about)

And we all have our good and bad days, sometimes we look bad, and sometimes we look good. If I was to look bad on this particural day, I can atleast do a lil extra to look a bit better.

Without the mirror, how am I gonna know? Since I don't care or listen to people.

Are you sure you dont really care about what people say about your physical appearance?the mirror can be decieving sometimes u know especially when you are on 4bottle of ...........
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 10, 2012
dangerzone:

Are you sure you dont really care about what people say about your physical appearance?the mirror can be decieving sometimes u know especially when you are on 4bottle of ...........

I don't drink, and I have very good eye sight. grin grin grin

I do care what my hubby thinks though can't even lie abt that. A compliment from him, makes not just my day but my whole month. cool cool cool
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Acidosis(m): 4:40pm On Sep 10, 2012
Lets say 22hours..
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by NobleAngell(f): 4:40pm On Sep 10, 2012
I seize every opportunity 2 luk @ ma reflection. Its 1 of ma addictions. As a mata of fact, i hav 2 mirrors on ma rum wall, 1 in ma bathrum, a small 1 in ma makeup purse and ma wallet. D screen protector of ma fone is a mirror. Hehehehehe! cool
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 10, 2012
Everyday, I absolutely cannot do without it. Anything that has a bit of transparency, phone screens, glasses, computer... Gotta take a break and check out my fabulous self cool
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by dangerzone: 4:45pm On Sep 10, 2012
rokiatu:

I don't drink, and I have very good eye sight. grin grin grin

I do care what my hubby thinks though can't even lie abt that. A compliment from him, makes not just my day but my whole month. cool cool cool
y

then bone the mirror and let him do all the compliments na

1 Like

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by executiveson(m): 4:47pm On Sep 10, 2012
Abeg no try me ooo,
if u want to kill me, keep me without the mirror for 2hrs
THREAD CLOSED!
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by folahann(m): 4:48pm On Sep 10, 2012
Only that mirror when I brush my teeth. After that, no more mirror..
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by truthisbitter: 5:11pm On Sep 10, 2012
Forever. I am an ugly SOB. Looking in the mirror only reminds me of that fact.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by sucezTP(f): 5:11pm On Sep 10, 2012
Infact, i have never ceased to look into a mirror for a second.
I can't do without it..
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 10, 2012
rokiatu: I can't go even a day without it please. This is not even about being vain, I don't rely on people to tell me whether I look good or bad, the mirror tells me. grin grin grin I don't give a damn what they think. (Only my husband I care about)

You mean you are married Hey!! This is really bad news for me oo...y na? Why?
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by peruxie: 5:51pm On Sep 10, 2012
Can't do a day without a mirror...I cud go insane.loli
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Scarpon(m): 5:52pm On Sep 10, 2012
Its been more than a year now is only when am in the saloon i looked at the mirrow otherwise i don't give a mess beside am well loaded by my creator
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Tinyemeka(m): 6:07pm On Sep 10, 2012
Funny I thought the same thing earlier this morning. I'd been in the village since Monday the 3rd and that was the last time I looked in the mirror. I'm not really bothered about how I'd be looking. Maybe when I get back to town.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by shizzle11(m): 6:11pm On Sep 10, 2012
Can't even go a day without looking at the mirror
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by kandiikane(m): 6:19pm On Sep 10, 2012
ItsModella: Everyday, I absolutely cannot do without it. Anything that has a bit of transparency, phone screens, glasses, computer... Gotta take a break and check out my fabulous self cool

Lol!

Ok, this one is definitely for vanity reasons. grin
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Fourcade(m): 6:46pm On Sep 10, 2012
This thread title toh badt o grin

As for me, few hours without looking at the mirror can i go grin

#Mirror screen guard cool
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by greatgod2012(f): 6:57pm On Sep 10, 2012
as a woman, i have every right to look good almost everytime, so there is no way i can know dt im looking good if i dont look at myself in d mirror, so i dont think i can do withour mirror in a day, i have mirror around me everywhere, in my bag especially,
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by dontador(m): 7:07pm On Sep 10, 2012
At least twice day to check hw big my pimples are or to pierce some dat are ripe... SMH!!!!
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by ayobase(m): 7:28pm On Sep 10, 2012
Atleast I wasnt using mirror for almost 30 days while on orientation camp.....so 30 days is it!
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by ignis: 7:52pm On Sep 10, 2012
Manimum of twice a week

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Learn How To Make Ankara Jackets / 10 Reasons Big Boobs Are 'NOT' So Awesome (EXPLICIT PICTURES) / How Wud You React If Someone Wore The Same Clothes As You At A Party?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.