Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

wjf - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / wjf (1299 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

wjf by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 07, 2012
S
Re: wjf by maclatunji: 4:06pm On Sep 07, 2012
^ Hello, I would like to answer your questions immediately but my laptop battery is dead. I should be back later (God-willing). Somebody else may also answer your questions responsibly- I hope.

1 Like

Re: wjf by maclatunji: 4:55pm On Sep 07, 2012
kulyie: My muslim brothers and sisters,ive been pondering on dis subject matter for a long tym now and ive not been able to get answers i understand from my muslim friends,anyway i want to know whether islam encourages,supports and finance terrorism (boko haram) my friends say islam has nothing to do with violence and terorism,then if so,y do dey shout allahu akbar when they kill,can someone explain islam as a religion of peace,respect for d lives of humans etc,as opposed to boko harams school of thought.

Islam Condemns Terrorism

By Harun Yahya

Some people (Like Boko Haram) who say they are acting in the name of religion may misunderstand their religion or practice it wrongly. For this reason, it is a mistake to form any idea of that religion from the activities of these people. The best way to understand Islam is through its holy source.

The holy source of Islam is the Qur'an; and the model of morality in the Qur'an is completely different from the image of it formed in the minds of some westerners. The Qur'an is based on the concepts of morality, love, compassion, mercy, modesty, self-sacrifice, tolerance and peace, and a Muslim who truly lives according to these moral precepts is highly refined, thoughtful, tolerant, trustworthy and accommodating. To those around him he gives love, respect, peace of mind and a sense of the joy of life.

Islam Is A Religion Of Peace And Well-Being

The word Islam has the same meaning as "peace" in Arabic. Islam is a religion that came down to offer humanity a life filled with the peace and well-being in which God's eternal mercy and compassion is manifested in the world. God invites all people to accept the moral teachings of the Qur'an as a model whereby mercy, compassion, tolerance and peace may be experienced in the world. In Surat al-Baqara verse 208, this command is given:

You who believe! Enter absolutely into peace (Islam). Do not follow in the footsteps of Satan. He is an outright enemy to you.

As we see in this verse, people will experience well-being and happiness by living according to the moral teaching of the Qur'an.

God Condemns Mischief

God has commanded humanity to avoid evil; he has forbidden immorality, rebellion, cruelty, aggressiveness, murder and bloodshed. Those who do not obey this command of God are walking in the steps of Satan, as it says in the verse above, and have adopted an attitude that God has clearly declared unlawful. Of the many verses that bear on this subject, here are only two:

But as for those who break God's contract after it has been agreed and sever what God has commanded to be joined, and cause corruption in the earth, the curse will be upon them. They will have the Evil Abode. (Surat ar-Ra'd: 25)

Seek the abode of the hereafter with what God has given you, without forgetting your portion of the world. And do good as God has been good to you. And do not seek to cause mischief on earth. God does not love mischief makers.' (Surat al-Qasas: 77)

As we can see, God has forbidden every kind of mischievous acts in the religion of Islam including terrorism and violence, and condemned those who commit such deeds. A Muslim lends beauty to the world and improves it.

Islam Defends Tolerance And Freedom Of Speech

Islam is a religion which fosters freedom of life, ideas and thought. It has forbidden tension and conflict among people, calumny, suspicion and even having negative thoughts about another individual. Islam has not only forbidden terror and violence, but also even the slightest imposition of any idea on another human being.

There is no compulsion in religion. Right guidance has become clearly distinct from error. Anyone who rejects false gods and believes in God has grasped the Firmest Handhold, which will never give way. God is All-Hearing, All-Knowing. (Surat al-Baqara: 256)

So remind, you need only to remind. You cannot compel them to believe. (Surat al-Ghashiyah:22)

To force anyone to believe in a religion or to practice it, is against the spirit and essence of Islam. Because it is necessary that faith be accepted with free will and conscience. Of course, Muslims may urge one another to keep the moral precepts taught in the Qur'an, but they never use compulsion. In any case, an individual cannot be induced to the practice of religion by either threat or offering him a worldly privilege.

Let us imagine a completely opposite model of society. For example, a world in which people are forced by law to practice religion. Such a model of society is completely contrary to Islam because faith and worship have value only when they are directed toward God. If there were a system that forced people to believe and worship, people would be religious only out of fear of the system. What is acceptable from the point of view of religion is that religion be practiced in an environment where freedom of conscience is permitted, and that it be practiced only for the approval of God.

God Has Made The Killing Of Innocent People Unlawful

According to the Qur'an, one of the greatest sins is to kill a human being who has committed no fault:

...If someone kills another person - unless it is in retaliation for someone else or for causing corruption in the earth - it is as if he had murdered all mankind. And if anyone gives life to another person, it is as if he had given life to all mankind. Our Messengers came to them with Clear Signs but even after that many of them committed outrages in the earth. (Surat al-Ma'ida: 32)

Those who do not call on any other deity together with God and do not kill anyone God has made inviolate, except with the right to do so, and do not fornicate; anyone who does that will receive an evil punishment. (Surat al-Furqan: 68)

As we can see in the verses above, those who kill innocent human beings without a cause are threatened with evil punishment. God has revealed that killing one person is as great a sin as killing all mankind. Anyone who respected the prerogatives of God would not do harm to even one individual, let alone murdering thousands of innocent people. Those who think that they will escape justice and punishment in this world will never escape the account they must give in the Presence of God on the Last Day. So, those believers who know they will give an account to God after their death, will be very careful about respecting the limits God has established.

God Commands Believers To Be Compassionate And Merciful

In this verse, Muslim morality is explained:

...To be one of those who believe and urge each other to steadfastness and urge each other to compassion. Those are the Companions of the Right. (Surat al-Balad: 17-18)

As we see in this verse, one of the most important moral precepts that God has sent down to His servants so that they may receive salvation and mercy and attain Paradise, is to "urge each other to compassion".

Islam as described in the Qur'an is a modern, enlightened, progressive religion. A Muslim is above all a person of peace; he is tolerant with a democratic spirit, cultured, enlightened, honest, knowledgable about art and science and civilized.

A Muslim educated in the fine moral teaching of the Qur'an, approaches everyone with the love that Islam expects. He shows respect for every idea and he values art and aesthetics. He is conciliatory in the face of every event, diminishing tension and restoring amity. In societies composed of individuals such as this, there will be a higher civilization, a higher social morality, more joy, happiness, justice, security, abundance and blessings than in the most modern nations of the world today.

God Has Commanded Tolerance And Forgiveness

Surat al-A'raf, verse 199, which says "practice forgiveness", expresses the concept of forgiveness and tolerance which is one of the basic principles of the religion of Islam.

When we look at Islamic history, we can see clearly how Muslims established this important precept of the moral teaching of the Qur'an in their social life. At every point in their advance, Muslims destroyed unlawful practices and created a free and tolerant environment. In the areas of religion, language and culture, they made it possible for people totally opposite to each other to live under the same roof in freedom and peace, thereby giving to those subject to them the advantages of knowledge, wealth and position.

Likewise, one of the most important reasons that the large and widespread Ottoman Empire was able to sustain its existence for so many centuries was that its way of life was directed by the tolerance and understanding brought by Islam. For centuries Muslims have been characterized by their tolerance and compassion. In every period of time they have been the most just and merciful of people. All ethnic groups within this multi-national community freely practiced the religions they have followed for years and enjoyed every opportunity to live in their own cultures and worship in their own way.

Indeed, the particular tolerance of Muslims, when practiced as commanded in the Qur'an, can alone bring peace and well-being to the whole world. The Qur'an refers to this particular kind of tolerance:

A good action and a bad action are not the same. Repel the bad with something better and, if there is enmity between you and someone else, he will be like a bosom friend. (Surat al-Fussilat: 34)

Conclusion

All this shows that the moral teaching offered to humanity by Islam is one that will bring peace, happiness and justice to the world. The barbarism that is happening in the world today under the name of "Islamic Terrorism" is completely removed from the moral teachings of the Qur'an; it is the work of ignorant, bigoted people, criminals who have nothing to do with religion. The solution which will applied against these individuals and groups who are trying to commit their deeds of savagery under the guise of Islam, will be the instruction of people in the true moral teaching of Islam.

In other words, the religion of Islam and the moral teaching of the Qur'an are not the supporters of terrorism and the terrorists, but the remedy by which the world can be saved from the scourge of terrorism.

Source: http://www.khalidzaheer.com/essays/others/islam_condemns_terrorism.html

1 Like

Re: wjf by maclatunji: 5:18pm On Sep 07, 2012
@Kulyie, there are several reasons why the likes of Boko Haram exist. However, what I have identified is that most armed groups under any guise are in the search for power. I mean political power. From the taliban to Al Qaeda to Boko Haram, their ultimate aim is to control territories and enforce their own twisted interpretation of Islam.

I have lived all my life as a Muslim and learnt from Islam the sanctity of life. This particular verse of the Qur'an is instructive:

...If someone kills another person - unless it is in retaliation for someone else or for causing corruption in the earth - it is as if he had murdered all mankind. And if anyone gives life to another person, it is as if he had given life to all mankind. Our Messengers came to them with Clear Signs but even after that many of them committed outrages in the earth. (Surat al-Ma'ida: 32)

"Retaliation" in this verse refers to cases like Murder. Under Islamic law, murderers are to receive capital punishment after having been found guilty in a proper trial. Then "causing corruption" refers to things like Armed robbery, kidnapping, spying and working against an Islamic state etc.

Now, I know someone might soon go to an anti-Islamic site to quote several verses out of context as being proof of Islam being violent. Well, the truth is that those verses apply to the Prophet (SAW) as a Commander-in-Chief of the Islamic State's army. Every country has its army and armies fight wars and people get killed in wars. That is a fact of life, we Muslims recognise this but have strict rules of engagement for Islamic armies of an Islamic state to adhere to. It is a grave offence for a soldier in an Islamic State to act contrary to strict rules of engagement and discipline.

There is no room for a group of individuals like Boko Haram to pick-up arms and start killing innocent people including Muslims under Islam. This is the truth. You should have heard of how Boko Haram has been killing Muslim leaders and clerics in the North. This should tell you something- they don't represent true Muslims. Is it not Islam that is being practised in countries like Malaysia, United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Qatar and Indonesia? These countries are making progress with Islam. The question you have asked has several layers. I am trying to keep it simple for you.
Re: wjf by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 07, 2012
ifeness:

You don't need all these stuffs you posting to become a good person,do you?
o,ok i get u now,thanks,but uve not answered d second question on y women who menstrate are not allowed to worship in d mosque,i thought comunion should be between u and God,irrespective of whether a woman is menstrating or not,menstation is not a sin,so y cant dey enter into d mosque to worship their God if they are menstrating
Re: wjf by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 07, 2012
maclatunji: @Kulyie, there are several reasons why the likes of Boko Haram exist. However, what I have identified is that most armed groups under any guise are in the search for power. I mean political power. From the taliban to Al Qaeda to Boko Haram, their ultimate aim is to control territories and enforce their own twisted interpretation of Islam.

I have lived all my life as a Muslim and learnt from Islam the sanctity of life. This particular verse of the Qur'an is instructive:

"Retaliation" in this verse refers to cases like Murder. Under Islamic law, murderers are to receive capital punishment after having been found guilty in a proper trial. Then "causing corruption" refers to things like Armed robbery, kidnapping, spying and working against an Islamic state etc.

Now, I know someone might soon go to an anti-Islamic verse to quote several verses out of context as being proof of Islam being violent. Well, the truth is that those verses apply to the Prophet (SAW) as a Commander-in-Chief of the Islamic State's army. Every country has its army and armies fight wars and people get killed in wars. That is a fact of life, we Muslims recognise this but have strict rules of engagement for Islamic armies of an Islamic state to adhere to. It is a grave offence for a soldier in an Islamic State to act contrary to strict rules of engagement and discipline.

There is no room for a group of individuals like Boko Haram to pick-up arms and start killing innocent people including Muslims under Islam. This is the truth. You should have heard of how Boko Haram has been killing Muslim leaders and clerics in the North. This should tell you something- they don't represent true Muslims. Is it not Islam that is being practised in countries like Malaysia, United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Qatar and Indonesia? These countries are making progress with Islam. The question you have asked has several layers. I am trying to keep it simple for you.

thanks for d enlightenment.i understand perfectly now
Re: wjf by maclatunji: 5:31pm On Sep 07, 2012
kulyie: Why is d quoran against allowing women who are menstrating to worship in d mosque?pls dis thread is STRICTLY for d muslims to ansa

I am a bit short of time here but an hadith states:

Aisha reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Stop formal prayer when your menses begins. When it is finished, wash off the blood from your body and return to formal prayer. " (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

It is not that Islam looks down on women when they are menstruating. However, it is a touchy period for you and you as a woman can testify to that. Please click on this link http://seekersguidance.org/ans-blog/2010/10/09/why-cant-a-menstruating-woman-touch-the-quran-islams-perspective-on-menstruation/, it gives a detailed explanation on the topic.

I hope I have been helpful. wink
Re: wjf by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 07, 2012
maclatunji:

I am a bit short of time here but an hadith states:

Aisha reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Stop formal prayer when your menses begins. When it is finished, wash off the blood from your body and return to formal prayer. " (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

It is not that Islam looks down on women when they are menstruating. However, it is a touchy period for you and you as a woman can testify to that. Please click on this link http://seekersguidance.org/ans-blog/2010/10/09/why-cant-a-menstruating-woman-touch-the-quran-islams-perspective-on-menstruation/, it gives a detailed explanation on the topic.

I hope I have been helpful. wink
thanks maclatunji,uve indeed been helpful,ive read d article and i find it quite educative

1 Like

Re: wjf by LagosShia: 6:56pm On Sep 07, 2012
[size=18pt]Aren't there some verses of the Qur'an that condone "killing the infidel"? [/size]
By Huda, About.com Guide

Question: Aren't there some verses of the Qur'an that condone "killing the infidel"?
Answer: The Qur'an commands Muslims to stick up for themselves in a defensive battle -- i.e. if an enemy army attacks, then Muslims are to fight against that army until they stop their aggression. All of the verses that speak about fighting/war in the Qur'an are in this context.
There are some specific verses that are very often "snipped" out of context, either by critics of Islam discussing "jihadism," or by misguided Muslims themselves who wish to justify their aggressive tactics.

"Slay Them" - If They Attack You First
For example, one verse (in its snipped version) reads: "slay them wherever you catch them" (Qur'an 2:191). But who is this referring to? Who are "they" that this verse discusses? The preceding and following verses give the correct context:
"Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for God loves not transgressors. And slay them wherever you catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter, But if they cease, God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful, If they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression" (2:190-193).
It is clear from the context that these verses are discussing a defensive war, when a Muslim community is attacked without reason, oppressed and prevented from practicing their faith. In these circumstances, permission is given to fight back -- but even then Muslims are instructed not to transgress limits, and to cease fighting as soon as the attacker gives up. Even in these circumstances, Muslim are only to fight directly against those who are attacking them, not innocent bystanders or non-combatants.

"Fight the Pagans" - If They Break Treaties
A similar verse can be found in chapter 9, verse 5 -- which in its snipped, out of context version could read: "fight and slay the pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war)." Again, the preceding and following verses give the context.
This verse was revealed during a historical period when the small Muslim community had entered into treaties with neighboring tribes (Jewish, Christian, and pagan). Several of the pagan tribes had violated the terms of their treaty, secretly aiding an enemy attack against the Muslim community. The verse directly before this one instructs the Muslims to continue to honor treaties with anyone who has not since betrayed them, because fulfilling agreements is considered a righteous action. Then the verse continues, that those who have violated the terms of the treaty have declared war, so fight them, (as quoted above).

Directly after this permission to fight, the same verse continues, "but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them, for God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful." The subsequent verses instruct the Muslims to grant asylum to any member of the pagan tribe/army who asks for it, and again reminds that "as long as these stand true to you, stand ye true to them: for God loves the righteous."

Conclusion
Any verse that is quoted out of context misses the whole point of the message of the Qur'an. Nowhere in the Qur'an can be found support for indiscriminate slaughter, the killing of non-combatants, or murder of innocent persons in 'payback' for another people's alleged crimes.
The Islamic teachings on this subject can be summed up in the following verses (Qur'an 60:7-8 ) :
"It may be that God will grant love (and friendship) between you and those whom ye (now) hold as enemies. For God has power (over all things), and God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
God does not forbid you, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for God loves those who are just."

http://islam.about.com/od/terrorism/f/terrorism_verse.htm
Re: wjf by anonimi: 9:07am On Jul 18, 2013
double post.
Re: wjf by anonimi: 9:07am On Jul 18, 2013
double post.
Re: wjf by anonimi: 9:08am On Jul 18, 2013
maclatunji:

Don't you think the phrase "causing corruption" is too vague and can be interpreted in different ways by anyone to justify killing/harming others

Who determines corruption?
Can what is deemed corruption change over time and from one group of people to another?
Re: wjf by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 18, 2013
@anonimi: it says "causing corruption in the earth" not just causing corruption. Allah says in 39 verse 18 of the Quran; "Who listen to speech and follow the best of it. Those are the ones Allah has guided, and those are people of understanding." The lack of understanding and or guidance from Allah is what can lead a 'believer' to absolute 'disbelief' thinking he is on belief, doing things for "islam" when in actuality it is against all form of good that man knows.

how do you justify ending a life when there is no war and you are not in the battlefield? The examples of The Holy Prophet [SA] and his companions [RA] are evidence and they are actions against the doers of evil thinking that he is a believer. Islam does not propose bloodletting. Yet it does not tell you that you have no right to defend your person as appropriate. You do not start hostility and you should struggle to avoid it until it is necessary to protect your existence, because it is forbidden that you should not struggle to protect it.
Re: wjf by maclatunji: 1:27pm On Jul 18, 2013
anonimi:

Don't you think the phrase "causing corruption" is too vague and can be interpreted in different ways by anyone to justify killing/harming others

Who determines corruption?
Can what is deemed corruption change over time and from one group of people to another?

That is what you have the state, judges and lawyers for. It is all part of Islamic law within the context of an Islamic state. It is like asking: who determines what "armed robbery" is or "murder" and "manslaughter" are in Britain or Nigeria?

Don't be paranoid.
Re: wjf by anonimi: 1:50pm On Jul 18, 2013
RoyPCain: @anonimi: it says "causing corruption in the earth" not just causing corruption. Allah says in 39 verse 18 of the Quran; "Who listen to speech and follow the best of it. Those are the ones Allah has guided, and those are people of understanding." The lack of understanding and or guidance from Allah is what can lead a 'believer' to absolute 'disbelief' thinking he is on belief, doing things for "islam" when in actuality it is against all form of good that man knows.

Thank you for the enlightening response.
* How do you CONFIRM that "Allah has guided" someone as opposed to everyone else
* Is it based on the "guided person" saying he/she is so guided and is able to convince others of this "fact", most likely because he has physical and/or emotional/spiritual power over these others?

* Again how do you confirm that a particular person is "of understanding" COMPARED to every other person who also has access to the words of Allah as expressed in the Holy Koran?

(1) (Reply)

Every Muslim Must Read This. / Muslims In Netherlands Celebrate Converts Day / Updates On The Lagos Edition Of Dr Zakir Naik's Lecture:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.