Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Talkative - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Talkative (1538 Views)

Last Moment Talkative / Talkative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Talkative by Migines(m): 9:08am On Jan 08, 2008
How Old is Grandma?

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events. He asked what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The grandma replied, & I quote; Well, let me think a minute . I was born before television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses, Frisbees and the pill.

There was no radar, credit cards, laser beams or ball-point pens. Man had not invented pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes dryers, well the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and man hadn't yet walked on the moon.

Your granddad and I got married first, and then lived together. Every family had a father and a mother, and every boy over 14 had a rifle that his dad taught him how to use and respect. And they went hunting and fishing together.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, 'Sir'-and after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, 'Sir.' Sundays were set aside for going to church as a family, helping those in need, and visiting with family or neighbors.

We were before gay rights, computer dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living here was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent. Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins. Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings. We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios. And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk. The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam. Pizza Hut, McDonald's , and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 & 10 cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents. Ice cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel. And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day, 'grass' was mowed, 'coke' was a cold drink, 'pot' was something your mother cooked in, and 'rock music' was your grandmother's lullaby.

'Aids' were helpers in the Principal's office, 'chip' meant a piece of wood, 'hardware' was found in a hardware store, and 'software' wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap; how old do YOU think I am - ?

Grandma would be only 65 years old in 2007
Re: Talkative by clemcykul(f): 2:18pm On Jan 08, 2008
lol grama is ryte, evrytin don spoil chei shocked embarassed
Re: Talkative by nightnurse(f): 2:22pm On Jan 08, 2008
wish i was born then
Re: Talkative by Migines(m): 2:26pm On Jan 08, 2008
. . . Wen life waz still gud.
Re: Talkative by iwajay(m): 2:53pm On Jan 08, 2008
clem was a major spoiler of this age.
Re: Talkative by ThugLife1(m): 3:02pm On Jan 08, 2008
lol
Re: Talkative by freezy(m): 3:06pm On Jan 08, 2008
You forgot to name Ituen. . .
Re: Talkative by nightnurse(f): 3:26pm On Jan 08, 2008
@Migi,
Yes when life was still good and less stressful
Re: Talkative by Migines(m): 3:29pm On Jan 08, 2008
I wish i culd say "the gud ol'days"
Re: Talkative by ituen(m): 4:34pm On Jan 08, 2008
freezy:

You forgot to name Ituen. . .

U don come this nw yr grin grin
Re: Talkative by topeteadr(m): 4:39pm On Jan 08, 2008
That a nice one u've got there migs. . . . .
Re: Talkative by Migines(m): 6:57pm On Jan 08, 2008
Thanks TT.
Re: Talkative by nightnurse(f): 12:45pm On Jan 09, 2008
@Migi,

Can't we rewind the whole stuff, as in go back to the good old days?
Re: Talkative by Migines(m): 12:52pm On Jan 09, 2008
Of c0s we can.
Just u+me can create enuf heat energy to make the world spin bak in tym. Wat do ya say?
Re: Talkative by nightnurse(f): 7:28pm On Jan 09, 2008
sure, when are we getting started?
Re: Talkative by Migines(m): 7:33pm On Jan 09, 2008
Netime ure ready baby. I'm always action packed.
Re: Talkative by nightnurse(f): 7:55pm On Jan 09, 2008
what abt now
Re: Talkative by Migines(m): 8:00pm On Jan 09, 2008
Ryte on.

<curtain falls>
Re: Talkative by nightnurse(f): 8:27pm On Jan 09, 2008
are u sure no1 is watching
Re: Talkative by Migines(m): 8:40pm On Jan 09, 2008
Dat i can't guarantee.
Re: Talkative by StephenP(m): 9:14pm On Jan 09, 2008
pokes head behind curtain and asks if they've seen suga_lips.
Re: Talkative by Migines(m): 9:20pm On Jan 09, 2008
. . .Nd why shuld her wer about be ur concern. Ne way, shes go around d world, shopping.
Re: Talkative by Migines(m): 9:21pm On Jan 09, 2008
. . . Now drop dat curtain wil'ya?
Re: Talkative by showbobo(m): 9:29pm On Jan 09, 2008
sighs
Re: Talkative by nightnurse(f): 10:42am On Jan 10, 2008
my privacy is very important to me Migy, so make sure no ones peeping
Re: Talkative by Migines(m): 10:47am On Jan 10, 2008
Dont wory, we are surrounded by laser now. I've activated them.
Re: Talkative by nightnurse(f): 12:09pm On Jan 10, 2008
ok then, so wats da 1st step
Re: Talkative by Migines(m): 12:21pm On Jan 10, 2008
Damn! Wats da ist step? Are u a novice?
I'm outta here girl, dont want no madafcking cop knocking on ma door for charges of "CHILD ABUSE"
Re: Talkative by nightnurse(f): 1:06pm On Jan 10, 2008
:-x
Re: Talkative by nightnurse(f): 1:08pm On Jan 10, 2008
Miggy walks away and nurse subs
Re: Talkative by Migines(m): 1:11pm On Jan 10, 2008
*thinking*
damnit! Shes tryn to overcome me wit her hydraulic powers.
Meeeen, Just a lil more and i break.
Re: Talkative by nightnurse(f): 2:05pm On Jan 10, 2008
crypls crypls

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gaylord / Someone Upload This Picture On Facebook, Check It Out, Don't Ignore It / Mother Vs Fiancee Battle..round One; FIGHT!!! Picture Of Fight..serious

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.