Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,843 members, 7,831,730 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN (12117 Views)

Important Message About The New #5000 Note CBN Want To Introduce / How We Can Reject Change / Tunde Bakare Reject Cow From GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by solayemi(m): 10:32am On Sep 10, 2012
talk true: Imagine you rejecting N5000 notes from a cashier, the cashier will just enter the bulk room and pack N10 coins and give to you in a brief case
You have to bribe him to give you back the N5000 note
. :-D:-D. No break ma ribs ds early momo.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by DonaldGenes(m): 10:35am On Sep 10, 2012
touch_me_hard: Bros, why did you quote the whole thread only o say this? It doesn't make sense now. The thread is already there for us to see, you don't have to quote it again, plzzzz. It's too long. Thanks
mehn i tire oooooo
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by ballabriggs: 10:37am On Sep 10, 2012
oradee:

You really shld study the nigerian history and metality...

1)Atedo Peterside says the new notes wld make it difficult for robbers to operate in dollars (but easier to rob in naira). are they making stealing more convenient for them?
2) i our futile bid to imitate the Western country,is there anytime you,ur parents or family and even those going on foreign trips have withdrawn $1000 or %5000 dollars from foreign banks or ATM's?
3) in line of their argument that it costs less to print one N5000 than printing one hundred N50, dont u know that it wld actually cost twice as much cos a N5000 transaction wld definately require change (unless they expect us to always completely spend N5000 in one sitting)
4) while Ghana is smart enuf to remove two zero's from their currency, cant we borrow a leaf from them and start from one zero?
50the same arguement in favour of the N5000 is tha same they gave for the N1000...shle we expect more notes from future CBN govts?
6) We (south,east and west) dont trade in coins...lets not delude ourselves any further..
7) i strongly believe that CBN's insistence on going along wif this is becoming an Ego thing...Sanusi dont wanna be seen as GEJ who makes absurd policies without due considerations

You see that is where you people miss the point. What is the real naira value of a $1000 or a $5000 and what is the real dollar value of a N5000 and N1000. The N5000 in real dollars is not even up to $40, it is not even up to a 20 pound note. What this tells me as an economist is that to buy an iphone from the market, while an American would use roughly about 10 to 20 notes, the Nigerian would have to go with bundles of notes to effect the same transaction. This is a waste on the system and it must be changed.

Now some have talked of reforms by removing some zeros from the currency. Good idea ala OBJ. However, also note that the highest note with a currency reform of such would be a N50 note which equates to the N5000 in real terms. Also there is no way you re-denominate without having coins in the system. The N10 will become a 10kobo in real terms. Are you still going to have your 10kobo in notes?

What a waste on your system!!!
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by DonaldGenes(m): 10:37am On Sep 10, 2012
solayemi: . :-D:-D. No break ma ribs ds early momo.
hahahhahahaaa no be small laff for here
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by carlinks: 10:40am On Sep 10, 2012
on my way to work this morning,i overheard some bunch of kids discussing the impact the introduction of the 5000 naira note and the coins will have on the cost of living.i must say i was amazed by what the kids said.the oldest among them couldn't be more than 15 and he asked one of them "dont these people feel the pulse of the masses before introducing such a policy"

you can argue that he's a kid and might not know much but he was spot-on on the effect it will have on the lives of average Nigerians already struggling..in a country where there is no effective consumer price regulatory agency.anybody wakes up and decide to round of the price of goods to the nearest naira note denomination...goods sold for #80 bucks becomes #100 and those sold for #30 or #40 becomes #50.

someone somewhere says this wont affect the cost of living which is already at an all time low...please spare me that tale

1 Like

Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Nobody: 10:44am On Sep 10, 2012
Ogbodavies: No comment 4 now,chiling with pop corn n zobo cool
obviously u dnt nid 5000 naira note t buy dat, so y mst u comment grin
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Frenchkiss(m): 10:49am On Sep 10, 2012
So that politicians go sef de ones wey dem go take thief well well. Chai! Dis people sef
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 10, 2012
I don't like where this is heading. . . angry angry

undecided
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by buchibabe: 10:52am On Sep 10, 2012
Acidosis: sir don't even stress yourself talking and explaining. The people your talking to won't reject ANYTHING. Infact they'll gladly accept the #5000 note with honour expecially when its new grin . You know Nigerians with their "ego" .

"a typical Nigerian guy would insert the new note in the br. east pocket of his starch - looking transparent white shirt for all to see especially babes..

"some will even upload bundles of note on facebook..lol"

Allow d babe RIP na

"Na that time we go know who get money for party... esp wedding& birthday"

"na that time hungry dude go talk 'baby you can keep the change', for fastfood & boutique" all because dude wan impress babe..

"na that time we go know the next cynthia"

Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Nobody: 10:53am On Sep 10, 2012
I prefer N100,000 note, why the delay? Bring it on Mallam!
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by buchibabe: 10:54am On Sep 10, 2012
Acidosis: sir don't even stress yourself talking and explaining. The people your talking to won't reject ANYTHING. Infact they'll gladly accept the #5000 note with honour expecially when its new grin . You know Nigerians with their "ego" .

"a typical Nigerian guy would insert the new note in the br. east pocket of his starch - looking transparent white shirt for all to see especially babes..

"some will even upload bundles of note on facebook..lol

Na that time we go know who get money for party... esp wedding& birthday"

"na that time hungry dude go talk 'baby you can keep the change', for fastfood & boutique" all because dude wan impress babe..

"na that time we go know the next cynthia"

Allow d babe RIP na
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by JayKayMaybachz(m): 10:54am On Sep 10, 2012
Gaiden k: Mallam na mallam,whether u spell am from front or back,what u expect from a cattle rearer,daft speech.
Lwkmd
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by gulfer: 10:55am On Sep 10, 2012
Bull-Poo! CBN damn right knows that in Nigeria, the customer is not always king.....I have been in Banks to get N50s and N100s for use only to be told not available, with the new proposed or already printed N5,000 bills; I tell ya all smaller denominations will be scarcer and we will continue to be at the mercy of the unscrupulous guys.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by bravehost4u(m): 10:58am On Sep 10, 2012
Watch out for 10,000 naira note soon
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Lyth: 10:59am On Sep 10, 2012
5k note huh? Hmmm Cap/fila banking n transactns made easier ....how happy d facrooks n d ote$s wld be now.

Faulty n retro monetary policies is wat d cbn kyps churning out ....watever, we gonna survive n outlive em all.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by klax(m): 11:02am On Sep 10, 2012
Please do Nigeria have a president at all

So whatever Lamido want must happen by fire by force??

Pls who rule this country is it Lamido or GEJ because I have never see any country in the world where ordinary CBN Gov. is second to almighty making Nigeria look like a Banana Republic?

Lamido want Islamic Bank he got it. He want Casheless he got it. Lamido want to destroy our currency he got it again what is going on here??

I'm so dissappointed and shock to see my country in this level of reasoning that ordinary CBN Gov. is one of the most powerful man in this land this is strange. I say over again I have never see any country in a whole world with my vast experience in travelling and live in a foriegn land where CBN Gov.is so powerful and so independent like Lamido this is strange to me absolutely because when he says No that is No when he say Yes that is Yes.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by uceee(m): 11:02am On Sep 10, 2012
talk true: Imagine you rejecting N5000 notes from a cashier, the cashier will just enter the bulk room and pack N10 coins and give to you in a brief case
You have to bribe him to give you back the N5000 note
I'll just tell him I don't need to withdraw anymore, and then find my way to another branch of the bank.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by oradee: 11:03am On Sep 10, 2012
ballabriggs:

You see that is where you people miss the point. What is the real naira value of a $1000 or a $5000 and what is the real dollar value of a N5000 and N1000. The N5000 in real dollars is not even up to $40, it is not even up to a 20 pound note. What this tells me as an economist is that to buy an iphone from the market, while an American would use roughly about 10 to 20 notes, the Nigerian would have to go with bundles of notes to effect the same transaction. This is a waste on the system and it must be changed.

Now some have talked of reforms by removing some zeros from the currency. Good idea ala OBJ. However, also note that the highest note with a currency reform of such would be a N50 note which equates to the N5000 in real terms. Also there is no way you re-denominate without having coins in the system. The N10 will become a 10kobo in real terms. Are you still going to have your 10kobo in notes?

What a waste on your system!!!

so whats ur point? that we shld print notes to the eqivalent of their value? instead of trying to strengthen our our curency?
America is 3times the size of Nigeria (wif more influx of immigrants) yet neither u nor i have withdrawn $5000...
Im sure this was the arguement Zimbabbwe had till their economy became hyper-inflated.
You still havent told me/us where cash-less policy comes to play in this N5000 thingy

1 Like

Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by gbadexy(m): 11:09am On Sep 10, 2012
These people won't cease to amaze me.
We would reject is surely just as you anticipated that we would reject N20 coins from past experience with other coins.
Why all the complication, they should simply maintain the status quo to save us all the drama and use the N40 billion (as far as I am concerned) to do accessible credit scheme for genuine small business in the country.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by faithin9ja: 11:12am On Sep 10, 2012
oradee:

You really shld study the nigerian history and metality...

1)Atedo Peterside says the new notes wld make it difficult for robbers to operate in dollars (but easier to rob in naira). are they making stealing more convenient for them?
2) i our futile bid to imitate the Western country,is there anytime you,ur parents or family and even those going on foreign trips have withdrawn $1000 or %5000 dollars from foreign banks or ATM's?
3) in line of their argument that it costs less to print one N5000 than printing one hundred N50, dont u know that it wld actually cost twice as much cos a N5000 transaction wld definately require change (unless they expect us to always completely spend N5000 in one sitting)
4) while Ghana is smart enuf to remove two zero's from their currency, cant we borrow a leaf from them and start from one zero?
50the same arguement in favour of the N5000 is tha same they gave for the N1000...shle we expect more notes from future CBN govts?
6) We (south,east and west) dont trade in coins...lets not delude ourselves any further..
7) i strongly believe that CBN's insistence on going along wif this is becoming an Ego thing...Sanusi dont wanna be seen as GEJ who makes absurd policies without due considerations

This is the problem with many of our people in Nigeria, $5000 is N750,000!!!!
Many Nigeians believe your relatives are abroad because you think they pick pounds and dollars like we pick naira in Nigeria. You ask your senior brother to send you $500 because you think $500 is the same and as easy as N500. You don't realize that many people do not earn $500 a week!!!

If I go to a eatery in Nigeria with my family I can easily spend N7500 (that's if we eat very little), I will pay with a least 8 notes (ie 7 x N1000 and 1 x N500)

In UK if I go into an eatery with my family I will spend £20 (N5200)- I will pay with one note £20.

Why should not use a N5000 in Nigeria.

In UK I use £1 (N260) coins to pay for my taxi and bus, why can I not use N100 coinn to pay for BRT !!!
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by oradee: 11:13am On Sep 10, 2012
klax: Please do Nigeria have a president at all

So whatever Lamido want must happen by fire by force??

Pls who rule this country is it Lamido or GEJ because I have never see any country in the world where ordinary CBN Gov. is second to almighty making Nigeria look like a Banana Republic?

Lamido want Islamic Bank he got it. He want Casheless he got it. Lamido want to destroy our currency he got it again what is going on here??

I'm so dissappointed and shock to see my country in this level of reasoning that ordinary CBN Gov. is one of the most powerful man in this land this is strange. I say over again I have never see any country in a whole world with my vast experience in travelling and live in a foriegn land where CBN Gov.is so powerful and so independent like Lamido this is strange to me absolutely because when he says No that is No when he say Yes that is Yes.

im telling u its an ego thing...i pray GEJ gets some balls to handle this country before we capsize before 2015
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Bunchersstab(m): 11:14am On Sep 10, 2012
sanusi abeg we no need 5000 naira note....
Na by force?
Abi u wan do am 4 urself?
Make una tell dis aboki 2 resign if e no dey comfortable wit 10 0 naira
Note
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by ballabriggs: 11:15am On Sep 10, 2012
oradee:

so whats ur point? that we shld print notes to the eqivalent of their value? instead of trying to strengthen our our curency?
America is 3times the size of Nigeria (wif more influx of immigrants) yet neither u nor i have withdrawn $5000...
Im sure this was the arguement Zimbabbwe had till their economy became hyper-inflated.
You still havent told me/us where cash-less policy comes to play in this N5000 thingy

Zimbabwe? Oh no, you better know the fact about issues before you run your mouth.

Firstly, Zimbabwe came under a lot of international sanctions with the land reform. Zimbabwe could not thus earn foreign exchange from exports to meet its demand for imports. What happened? The reserves went almost empty and as goods were not being imported hyper-inlation came about, the Zimbabwean dollar lost its value. It meant you needed a lot of cash to effect a transaction. Using the old denominations became cumbersome as you needed a lot of cash and there was thus a need to print the billion dollars given the rate of inflation. What we have here is the fact that infalation is what brings the need for a reform rather than a reform leading to inflation. So please get your facts right before citing country examples.

The currency reform just like the cashless policy is geared towards efficiency in transactions and thus complements each other.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by dedeike: 11:16am On Sep 10, 2012
ballabriggs:

This is the most bizarre and stupid argument I have heard on this issue. Now one of the biggest ways of financing crime and money laundering is through international trade, foreign capital flows and international banking. Should we then stop trading with other nations because it "promotes money laundering"? Should we also stop electronic transactions because it also promotes money laundering and thus ignore the benefits of millions in diaspora who use it to support relatives at home? Bottom line is, every innovation in finance is a source of crime but we cannot ignore the benefits because we want to keep living like cave men as the NBA would want.

The new currency regime would promote efficiency of transactions, save cost for the system and should be implemented. I have coins with me minted in 1982, now show me any Nigerian currency minted in 2000 or even 2006. It's either been fixed with cello-tapes or it is no more. There is no reason why transactions at the low end where there is a high velocity should be done in cash, it is a waste. For an environmentalist, this is a crime on ecoversity as trees are being cut to make these notes.

Very analytical. You re on point. This is the best comment on this thread.
The problem with so many of us is that we don't bother to analyse issues on its merit. We rather prefer to jump into the bandwagon and re echo pedestrian views.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by philip0906(m): 11:18am On Sep 10, 2012
ballabriggs:

Good!!! How does Nigeria work? That people like you still move with a cave-man mentality. That people like you have refused to move with the realities of the changing world. That you will rather happily and ignorantly live in a chaotic environment than in a well organised society and refuse to accept change which could better your lives. At the same time you complaining your country is not developing, you want to be like Japan, you want to move like the Koreans but refuse to do things the way they did.

I've heard some idiots talk about "IMF policies, Neo-Classical policies". Now let me give you an example of China. China has a strict one child per family policy. What is that? It is in line with Solow a neo-classical economists thoughts of population growth rate control and growth. Can you do the same for the benefit of Nigeria or would you rather spend your whole life moaning about things not working for you rather than accept change.
You are obviously deluded. . .what change are u talking about? Many years back #1=$1 now #160=$1. Is dat the change u r talking about? Nigerians are asking what happened 2 50kobo and d likes? Nigerians are craving 4 when #500 could feed u and ur family.Thats what we are talking about.U r calling japan and Korea? countries whose economies dwarfs ours?y not call the u.S.A and Britain whose currencies we rivaled back in d days.If u don't mind kindly tell us one policy that ur paymaster sanusi has brought that has +vely affected the lives of d masses?
U are calling China? D china dat has a zero policy on corruption? The china dat has pushed aside politics 2 better the lives of the masses? U need 2 get ur head checked or better still update urself like i earlier suggested.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by oradee: 11:26am On Sep 10, 2012
faithin9ja:

This is the problem with many of our people in Nigeria, $5000 is N750,000!!!!
Many Nigeians believe your relatives are abroad because you think they pick pounds and dollars like we pick naira in Nigeria. You ask your senior brother to send you $500 because you think $500 is the same and as easy as N500. You don't realize that many people do not earn $500 a week!!!

If I go to a eatery in Nigeria with my family I can easily spend N7500 (that's if we eat very little), I will pay with a least 8 notes (ie 7 x N1000 and 1 x N500)

In UK if I go into an eatery with my family I will spend £20 (N5200)- I will pay with one note £20.

Why should not use a N5000 in Nigeria.

In UK I use £1 (N260) coins to pay for my taxi and bus, why can I not use N100 coinn to pay for BRT !!!

well, the rulers/govt of UK have kept and protected their economy to make it what it is today...
its not the Nigerian citizens fault that one pound is N250.
Why not ask CBN and co why/when we wld start spending N20 to eat a meal at a fastfood in Nigeria!!(afterall N20 and 20 pounds are both the same with diff initials)
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 10, 2012
The problem with the people at the Central Bank is they will never listen to Nigerians. It is so absurd to come around and say it is optional to accept the =N=5000 notes at banks. Jeez!

What is going on in that country?!
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by ballabriggs: 11:30am On Sep 10, 2012
philip0906:
You are obviously deluded. . .what change are u talking about? Many years back #1=$1 now #160=$1. Is dat the change u r talking about? Nigerians are asking what happened 2 50kobo and d likes? Nigerians are craving 4 when #500 could feed u and ur family.Thats what we are talking about.U r calling japan and Korea? countries whose economies dwarfs ours?y not call the u.S.A and Britain whose currencies we rivaled back in d days.If u don't mind kindly tell us one policy that ur paymaster sanusi has brought that has +vely affected the lives of d masses?
U are calling China? D china dat has a zero policy on corruption? The china dat has pushed aside politics 2 better the lives of the masses? U need 2 get ur head checked or better still update urself like i earlier suggested.

N1 to $1 in the past, today it is N160 to $1. You want it back to the 1970's abi? Very good!!! With what now, with juju abi? What the hell do you produce in your economy to earn you foreign exchange apart from the crude oil which is subject to fluctuating prices? He should use juju to bring the naira at par with the dollar abi? Without the measures they've taken so far to protect the naira, by now the naira would have been going for about 250naira to a dollar given the global recession. You want me to call Britain and US when you cannot even match ordinary Malaysia in terms of development. Are you still moaning? The world is moving, humanity is moving.

We accept the currency reform for the sake of sustainability.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Nobody: 11:31am On Sep 10, 2012
I AM LAUGHING AT NIGERIA WITH 5,000 LAUGHS!
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by faithin9ja: 11:36am On Sep 10, 2012
philip0906:

How old are you? where were you when N1 = $1? do you know how much people earned then?

When N1 = $1, a driver would earn N30 a month!!! rent for one room in Mushin or Ajegungle would N5 ($5) a month.

How much does a driver earn now? Can a driver earn less than N35,000 ($200) a month? how much is rent in one room in Mushin or Ajegungle now? N5000 a month - still one seventh of a driver salary.

It is called NPV (Net Present Value) Even the dollar you use as your measure has lost over 300% of it's value over the last 30years. 30 years ago new cars in US cost $3500, now they same standard of car cost $25,000. Please go and learn basic economics before posting.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Image123(m): 11:40am On Sep 10, 2012
bank customers can reject 5000naira notes? what of we common people who are not bank customers? the conductors, the gala, la casera and bread hawkers? the recharge card seller and pure water vendors, how do we also reject the 5000naira notes without fights, curses and hype and at no loss?
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by faithin9ja: 11:40am On Sep 10, 2012
oradee:

well, the rulers/govt of UK have kept and protected their economy to make it what it is today...
its not the Nigerian citizens fault that one pound is N250.
Why not ask CBN and co why/when we wld start spending N20 to eat a meal at a fastfood in Nigeria[b]!!(afterall N20 and 20 pounds are both the same with diff initials)
[/b]

Please stop taliking like an illiterate. Naira and Pounds are NOT the same. The intials do NOT matter.

The Japanese Yen is one of the strongest currencies in the world. It is one of the currencies used as a store of international value yet $1 = 78YEN. does that make the Yen worthless please answer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" / Can The Binis Survived On Their Own? / Minimum Wage: Many Govs Ready To Pay More Than N30,000 — NLC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.