Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

A discussion on Bipolar Disorder - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A discussion on Bipolar Disorder (11776 Views)

True Fact About Mood Swing (bipolar Disorder ) / Plz Help My Fiance Just Told Me She Is Suffering From Bipolar Disorder / 13 Symptoms Of Bipolar Disorder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by ACM10: 11:10am On Sep 11, 2012
aribisala0:

A LEVEL DOCTOR
There is clear correlation between language and Intelligence. In Nigeria English is the language of instruction and your excuse that it is not your mother tongue would hold water if that were not the case.It is doubtful that you do not have the same problem in your mother tongue.
The problem with your communication is you endlessly spout assertion after assertion ALL UNFOUNDED revealing a lazy dogmatic mind.

You ignored the main point about your FALSE assertion on ECT and MANIA.Do you stand by your claim??
or on the 80% SCHIZOPHRENIA prevalence claim??
I am sorry to repeat it but you really reason like an undergraduate

You are not making any sense. I can't go down the route of mudslinging with you. That's your preoccupation. But have a date with me in other threads. We are here to discuss bipolar disorder. I'm a professional and I abandon my differences with other posters when it comes to threads that dwell on my profession. I swore not to permit considerations of politics to colour my my professional judgement. But you are still hurting from other threads. So you want to extract your pound of flesh on me here.

Some of the best students in my class are not the best when it comes to self-expression in English language. I've told you that I don't give a fvck about what you thinks, since it subtracts nothing from my worth.

Pls don't misquote me. I wrote "80% case presentation". Hope you knows the difference between "prevalence" and "case presentation"? I stand by my claim that 80% of the psychiatric case presentation to the hospitals in Nigeria is schizophrenia. Tear down my "unfounded assertion" with hard facts based on studies.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by ACM10: 11:26am On Sep 11, 2012
aribisala0:

You see why English is a problem? You do not know what a citation is .Did i "cite" Wikipedia? NO I am not citing Wikipedia. If I did it would be clear what I am relying on from Wiki
Again another comprehension problem; do you understand the meaning of PREVALENCE??
Is prevalence the same as Case Presentation.
Any I said ANXIETY is the commonest Mental Disorder please read and comprehend!!
Rather than RANT and RAVE why not say what you believe to be the case and WHY

Anyway maybe DR ONYEAMA is not aware but there was a WHO epidemiology study on Prevalence of Mental disorder worldwide and Nigeria was one of the countries studied not least because it has the largest population of Blacks and many good Psychiatrists(NOT DR ONYAMA!)
Finally d not kid yourself that you are engaged in intellectual discourse.Don't be ridiculous!

It seems like my comments has induced a manic episode of bipolar disorder in you. grin
That's why you decided to spam this thread with your trademark senseless wrangle.

So you think that the study carried out by WHO on mental disorders worldwide is more credible than that of Nigerian professionals when we talk of Nigeria? At this time, there is no basis for me to continue this debate with you.

Finally, how many anxiety cases have you seen in psychiatric hospitals in Nigeria?
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by aribisala0(m): 11:27am On Sep 11, 2012
ACM10:

You are not making any sense. I can't go down the route of mudslinging with you. That's your preoccupation. But have a date with me in other threads. We are here to discuss bipolar disorder. I'm a professional and I abandon my differences with other posters when it comes to threads that dwell on my profession. I swore not to permit considerations of politics to colour my my professional judgement. But you are still hurting from other threads. So you want to extract your pound of flesh on me here.

Some of the best students in my class are not the best when it comes to self-expression in English language. I've told you that I don't give a fvck about what you thinks, since it subtracts nothing from my worth.

Pls don't misquote me. I wrote "80% case presentation". Hope you knows the difference between "prevalence" and "case presentation"? I stand by my claim that 80% of the psychiatric case presentation to the hospitals in Nigeria is schizophrenia. Tear down my "unfounded assertion" with hard facts based on studies.
It is not for me to tear down but for you to substantiante,that is the scholastic method and the basis of the Null Hypothesis which you might have heard about.
80% PRESENTATION WHERE at Primary Care,General Hospitals or Aro
You are not only empty but a liar to boot.Someone else wrote the assertion of 80% clearly indicating prevalence and you came in and AGREED with him now you want to wriggle out with CASE PRESENTATION. Even that won't work because cases present at all kinds of centres from primary to tertiary but the population under discussion was NIGERIA and so if you say CASE PRESENTATION must include ALL presentations and the onus is on you to substantiate your claim
ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat

1 Like

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by aribisala0(m): 11:32am On Sep 11, 2012
ACM10:

It is not for me to tear down but for you to substantiante,that is the scholastic method and the basis of the Null Hypothesis which you might have heard about.
You are not only empty but a liar to boot.Someone else wrote the assertion of 80% clearly indicating prevalence and you came in and AGREED with him now you want to wriggle out with CASE PRESENTATION. Even that won't work because cases present at all kinds of centres from primary to tertiary but the population under discussion was NIGERIA and so if you now say CASE PRESENTATION we must include ALL presentations .The claim is 80% of psychiatric presentations are schizophrenia and the onus is on you to substantiate your claim. I ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat

I claim that anxiety disorder has the greatest prevalence (greater than schizophrenia) in Nigeria and virtually worldwide and will substantiate this
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by aribisala0(m): 11:33am On Sep 11, 2012
grin
ACM10:

It seems like my comments has induced a manic episode of bipolar disorder in you. grin
That's why you decided to spam this thread with your trademark senseless wrangle.

So you think that the study carried out by WHO on mental disorders worldwide is more credible than that of Nigerian professionals when we talk of Nigeria? At this time, there is no basis for me to continue this debate with you.

Finally, how many anxiety cases have you seen in psychiatric hospitals in Nigeria?
You are a joker
the WHO study was carried our by NIGERIAN psychiatrists funded by the WHO, as part of an international study.This would not be the first time Nigerian psychiatrists have done this.Such activity has been going on at least as far back as 1974 if not earlier. Perhaps you have heard of the likes of Lambo,Famuyiwa or Ilechukwu among others. Guy you are really embarassing
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by ACM10: 11:39am On Sep 11, 2012
aribisala0:
You are not only empty but a liar to boot.Someone else wrote the assertion of 80% clearly indicating prevalence and you came in and AGREED with him now you want to wriggle out with CASE PRESENTATION. Even that won't work because cases present at all kinds of centres from primary to tertiary but the population under discussion was NIGERIA and so if you say CASE PRESENTATION must include ALL presentations and the onus is on you to substantiate your claim
ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat

We are yet to see your WHO studies on mental disorders in Nigeria. You have not posted any statistics. You jumps from substance abuse related disorder to anxiety as the leading mental disorder in Nigeria. Now tell me, who should be believed in this setting? You have not proven that I lied on schizophrenia case presentation in Nigeria, yet you accuse me of lying. We are here for a serious discussion. Don't impress us with your Latin skills. This discussion is about Bipolar disorder in Nigerian context. It is not about Bipolar disorder in Saudi Arabia.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 11, 2012
Wow. Lol
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by aribisala0(m): 12:03pm On Sep 11, 2012
ACM10:

We are yet to see your WHO studies on mental disorders in Nigeria. You have not posted any statistics. You jumps from substance abuse related disorder to anxiety as the leading mental disorder in Nigeria. Now tell me, who should be believed in this setting? You have not proven that I lied on schizophrenia case presentation in Nigeria, yet you accuse me of lying. We are here for a serious discussion. Don't impress us with your Latin skills. This discussion is about Bipolar disorder in Nigerian context. It is not about Bipolar disorder in Saudi Arabia.
It is for you to prove your claims do that and stop dodging
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by aribisala0(m): 12:03pm On Sep 11, 2012
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by phantasm(m): 12:07pm On Sep 11, 2012
Not using the medical terms, let me describe bi-polar disorder....

Its like a case of boiling water and Ice. The manic session is like a boiling water that is too hot to swallow. In this stage, there is some kind of energy that its so easy for a stranger/someone close to note that one is exited/overly exited. Gradually, when this energy is used up, one quickly runs to the Ice stage(depression). The (overly)exited person suddenly becomes dull. You (the obsever)could notice this period but you sure cant imagine the thoughts of the victim during this stage. In some cases, selflessness, worthlessness, and unfounded guilt dominates the victim's heart. Some actually feel like suicide is the answer since to them, no one cares about them, they are invisible n bla bla bla... But then, it depends on the victim/sufferer... There is somewhat a 3rd stage but not in all instances and not in all victims...The Lukewarm session.... Its usually a stage when the victim is unsure if he's recovering or relapsing. This time, the victim tends to be creative(sometimes destructive) like writing very emotional poetry, stories or songs(creative) OR expressing short impulses of anger, destroying once valued work like poetry, music, and giving out things.....

Treatment:
one thing to note is that there is no absolute treatment. Some use cofee( or other stimulants like colanut or drugs) in the ICE stage, taking advantage of caffeine but its not always helpful cos after it's taken you high, it drops you far beyond the initial low. Its always adviced for the victim to get more social and outgoing, to think and worry less, stay in a warmer place, get more of sunshine bla bla bla...

Medically, there are some drugs but it is best to check with your health consultant to help with what drug is best for you. Else, one could be self medicating using the wrong drug or dosage and would make matters worse in the end.

2 Likes

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by phantasm(m): 12:08pm On Sep 11, 2012
Not using the medical terms, let me describe bi-polar disorder....

Its like a case of boiling water and Ice. The manic session is like a boiling water that is too hot to swallow. In this stage, there is some kind of energy that its so easy for a stranger/someone close to note that one is exited/overly exited. Gradually, when this energy is used up, one quickly runs to the Ice stage(depression). The (overly)exited person suddenly becomes dull. You (the obsever)could notice this period but you sure cant imagine the thoughts of the victim during this stage. In some cases, selflessness, worthlessness, and unfounded guilt dominates the victim's heart. Some actually feel like suicide is the answer since to them, no one cares about them, they are invisible n bla bla bla... But then, it depends on the victim/sufferer... There is somewhat a 3rd stage but not in all instances and not in all victims...The Lukewarm session.... Its usually a stage when the victim is unsure if he's recovering or relapsing. This time, the victim tends to be creative(sometimes destructive) like writing very emotional poetry, stories or songs(creative) OR expressing short impulses of anger, destroying once valued work like poetry, music, and giving out things.....

Treatment:
one thing to note is that there is no absolute treatment. Some use cofee( or other stimulants like colanut or drugs) in the ICE stage, taking advantage of caffeine but its not always helpful cos after it's taken you high, it drops you far beyond the initial low. Its always adviced for the victim to get more social and outgoing, to think and worry less, stay in a warmer place, get more of sunshine bla bla bla...

Medically, there are some drugs but it is best to check with your health consultant to help with what drug is best for you. Else, one could be self medicating using the wrong drug or dosage and would make matters worse in the end.

3 Likes

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by preselect(m): 12:23pm On Sep 11, 2012
Phantasm
You did a good job trying to explain bipolar in a language even a dunce will appreciate. At least you got the basics right. Treatment is a bit different from your prescription but you try.

Aribisala0 & ACM10
I hope both of you are not doctors! Bc if you guys are doctors, I am sorry to say that your language in public debate is unbecoming. Pls tone down the rhetoric. It's just bipolar. It's not a lottery gamble grin
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by ACM10: 12:27pm On Sep 11, 2012
aribisala0: The most common mental disorder worldwide and in Nigeria are anxiety disorders

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3039289/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16648534

http://assets.cambridge.org/97805218/84198/frontmatter/9780521884198_frontmatter.pdf Page 211

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16648534

http://www.scielosp.org/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0042-96862000000400003&lng=&nrm=iso
http://www.scielosp.org/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0042-96862000000400003&lng=&nrm=iso

I feel embarrassed that I wasted my bandwidth on you. I thought that I'm having a convo with a professional. I never knew that I was wasting my time with a wannabe.

I urge all professionals and enthusiasts on the forum to painstakingly go through the links that he posted. This is why I tell people that google can't answer all your questions.

This young man was arguing out of his ignorance. I was surprised when he remarked that anxiety is the leading cause of mental disorder in Nigeria. When most doctors in Nigeria cannot even make a diagnosis of anxiety disorder.
Besides, he doesn't even know the difference between "case presentation" and "prevalence".

Aribisala0, there is no basis for me to continue this debate with you at this point in time. You are clueless.

I'm busy now. I can only peep from time to time to make my little contribution. I will be back fully in 8hrs time.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by deols(f): 12:34pm On Sep 11, 2012
So,ACM10 has no other proof beyond his lecture notes and that his lecturer said so. embarassed

And aribisala0 cant yet disprove him? I Wonder why he kept on arguing.

I hope someone knows that lecture notes can be referenced in academic writings.

And who never knew that many epidemiologic claims on Nigeria are hearsays and can't be found in textbooks/journals.

How many medical books are authored by Nigerians?
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Nobody: 12:50pm On Sep 11, 2012
i have some questions is there a quiet phase,can one get well without lithum or any treatment.how can one get a proper diagnosis instead of self diagnosing
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by teesexy1(m): 3:57pm On Sep 11, 2012
ehie: i have some questions is there a quiet phase,can one get well without lithum or any treatment.how can one get a proper diagnosis instead of self diagnosing

There are definitely quiet periods, when one is good and well.

can one get well without lithum [/b]
It all depends on the individual some people never get diagnosed but live full productive lives with minimal disruptions.
While alot of people relapse when they stop taking their meds.
There are many other meds apart from lithium depending what works well for the individual.

[b]
how can one get a proper diagnosis instead of self diagnosing[/quote]
[i][/i]
Self diagnosis is very risky as u might not be right.
What if one is happy and joyous and it is misintepreted as a mild mania
or sad and considered to be a down period

Best to have a records of the moods which in some cases are mild or extreme and speak to a professional - it might not BP or might be.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Nobody: 4:03pm On Sep 11, 2012
thanks for your post.where can one find the professionals in Nigeria?
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by ACM10: 4:10pm On Sep 11, 2012
ehie: thanks for your post.where can one find the professionals in Nigeria?

Visit any teaching hospital near you. Or you can come to Enugu. We have Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital, New Haven, Enugu and University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku/Ozalla, Enugu. I can assure you that you will meet competent psychiatrists who can manage your case there.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 11, 2012
thanks youve been helpful
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Sissy3(f): 5:31pm On Sep 11, 2012
ehie: i have some questions is there a quiet phase,can one get well without lithum or any treatment.how can one get a proper diagnosis instead of self diagnosing

care usually depend on the phase of the disease the person is experiencing.

During the ACUTE PHASE which is characterized by acute mania, the main goal of tx is reduction of mania symptoms
During the MAINTENANCE PHASE characterized by increased ability to function, relapse prevention through medication therapy, psychotherapy and education is the goal of tx
lastly, during the CONTINUATION PHASE characterized by remission of symptoms, tx generally continues throughout the person's lifetime.and prevention of future manic episodes is the goal tx.

if you dont mind me asking, were you dx by a psychiatrist, and are you seeing one now

2 Likes

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by ACM10: 5:41pm On Sep 11, 2012
~Sissy~:

care usually depend on the phase of the disease the person is experiencing.

During the ACUTE PHASE which is characterized by acute mania, the main goal of tx is reduction of mania symptoms
During the MAINTENANCE PHASE characterized by increased ability to function, relapse prevention through medication therapy, psychotherapy and education is the goal of tx
lastly, during the CONTINUATION PHASE characterized by remission of symptoms, tx generally continues throughout the person's lifetime.and prevention of future manic episodes is the goal tx.

if you dont mind me asking, were you dx by a psychiatrist, and are you seeing one now

+100
Nice one
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Wokeyim(f): 5:50pm On Sep 11, 2012
Bassey Ikpi, the Nigerian born US based poet was diagnosed of Bipolar 11 disorder and has been on treatment since then. She currently creates awareness about the disease through her Advocacy group. Bassey is presently in Nigeria and can be reached @basseyworldlive in twitter. She would tell you all you need to know from a patient's perspective.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Wokeyim(f): 5:52pm On Sep 11, 2012
Bassey Ikpi, the Nigerian born US based poet was diagnosed of Bipolar 11 disorder and has been on treatment since then. She currently creates awareness about this disorder
through her Advocacy group. Bassey is presently in Nigeria and can be reached @basseyworldlive on twitter. She would tell you all you need to know from a patient's perspective.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 11, 2012
thx guys for the education
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by musaibnabdul(m): 7:25pm On Sep 11, 2012
Bipolar may God protect all of us from this illness.
i am a good person to discuss this illness because my father suffer from it.
it entails mood swings,the very hyper stage and the depression stage if care is not taking during this stage it might lead to suicide because the patient uses this stage to reflect on the things the patient did during the hyper stage
got no time to go into details, its a common illness in nigeria today

2 Likes

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by mystikal(m): 4:07pm On Sep 12, 2012
Read Danielle Steele's 'His Bright Light', a true story of her son who suffered and died from the manic BiPolar issue. Touching read, you,ll get almost all the useful info and real life scenario clearly.

1 Like

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by stupor(m): 5:46am On Jan 14, 2013
ACM10:

When is it a norm to cite wikipedia in an intellectual discourse? Surely you must be practicing in the moon to place substance and alcohol misuse disorders as the commonest case presentation in Nigeria. The most commonly abused substance in Nigeria is alcohol followed by marijuana. You hardly see an addict present to the hospital. It's during the treatment for other medical co-morbidities that we notices that he's hooked to a particular substance. BTW, how many drug rehab and detox facilities do we have in Nigeria?

Finally, I expect you to provide the statistics of the cases of mental disorders in Nigeria to challenge the 80% data for schizophrenia put forward by me. I will most likely ignore you if your counter-argument is based on what you thought.
Ehie provided the email of Dr. Onyeama, and I expect you to get in touch with him to challenge his claim that 80% of mental cases seen at the hospitals in Nigeria are schizophrenia.

Mr grammarian !

Just look at yourself and the way and manner at which you throw tantrums at the poster whò has selflessly decided to share his professional knowledge and insights,while you can't just sit back,read,learn and gain from his lofty contributions.

Pot calling kettle black !

X-raying all your points,i can pin-point that you actually deserve a psychotic screening and mental-clinical observation yourself !

Check your own disastrous use of inappropriate English !

''We notices he's hooked'' that is a shell bomb error coming from a First-class and arrogant English Teacher like you.
You need to learn more about Lexis and structure if you must say damaging comments to any gôod contributor here on Nairaland !

Asides the fact that you will need a mental counselling,you will also need learn online etiquettes !

Ask a Primary 3 pupil to also put you through Proof-reading in English language !

Its so disgusting to lay aspercions on someone else's positive contribution !

Get an education !
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by highbeeola(m): 3:47pm On Apr 14, 2015
ehie:
i had most of the symptoms of bpd in my early twenties and my teens,moods would flatuate from very high to very low,and in most of phases i would e very creative and i would write these beautiful and deep poems ,but most of them were often dark and sad, however there is a dearth of mental health facilities and you know as someone with BPD,there is always a need to self medicate to stabilize these moods and its done unknowingly,you will probably see people taking alcohol , cannabis and and ciggaretes.
Now i think the mood swings have stabilsed and though i go into my deep,dark phases once in a while,its not as intense as it used to be
hello ehie please how did you treat the bipolar disorder of a thing it affecting me seriously with my studies can concentrate currently in accra would be coming home by june o treat it thanks
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Nobody: 3:50pm On Apr 14, 2015
highbeeola:

hello ehie please how did you treat the bipolar disorder of a thing it affecting me seriously with my studies can concentrate currently in accra would be coming home by june o treat it thanks
i dint really but i think in accra you can get doctors who will treat you.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by highbeeola(m): 5:03pm On Apr 14, 2015
ehie:
i dint really but i think in accra you can get doctors who will treat you.
ok thanks alot will do justice to that asap
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Nobody: 8:17am On Dec 04, 2015
deevah:
Hi guys. Does anyone have any info Bipolar Disorder? I recently came across it and its quite intriguing. Pls share any info you have on the topic.....although I'm more interested in the mechanism of action of the disorder and the drugs used to treat it currently. Thanks smiley
I just found out I have bipolar-disorder cry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers / Over 5,000 Nigerian Doctors In S/africa - Envoy / CSOs Hold "Let The Poor Live" Protest In Abuja Over Ban On Sachet Alcohol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.