Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,632 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Buying A Used Car? Have An Expert/mechanic Do A Thorough Inspection - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Buying A Used Car? Have An Expert/mechanic Do A Thorough Inspection (1771 Views)

Buying A Used Car? Read This First To Avoid Making The Mistakes I Made / Breaking News: Kaduna State Govt Dissolves Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) / 5 Reasons Why Buying A Used Car (tokunbo) Is Great (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Buying A Used Car? Have An Expert/mechanic Do A Thorough Inspection by FrontPageLawyer(m): 11:41am On Sep 11, 2012
I was going to buy a used Infinity I30 V6 engine, with clean exterior, almost made payment but wasn't really convince because the car was cleared from the port June 2008, since I wasn't knowledgeable about V6 engines and automatic transmission, I called my trusted mechanic of 4yrs who will never compromise with the dealer (please note that mechanics do compromise with dealers for selfish interest)

He asked if its my choice of car, I said YES. The dealer gave him the keys and go ahead to do the inspection.

What the mechanic was looking out for.

First he checked the odometer which was 55k for signs of “odometer fraud” (he made it clear that the condition of the car should match that of the mileage. E.G, a car with only 20k miles won’t have a worn steering wheel and seats). Also, he checked the body for signs of extensive work (new paint or touch-up paint, corrosion, etc), the interior and the tires for damage, and under the hood, too.

He made it clear to the dealer that he will do a test-drive after inspection which is a common practice in buying used car even if its 2012 model. It is advisable before payment.

He was also looking for any problems or potential problems with the used car’s aesthetics, mechanical and electrical workings, and it’s all-around safety. His intent of the inspection is to predict or foresee any possible problems the vehicle might have (whether deliberately concealed by the seller or otherwise) to ultimately avoid hidden costs or unsafe conditions after the purchase.

He was checking for signs of “mileage rollback” (odometer fraud) which he discovered under 10minutess. He also discovered the car has been services in Nigeria by simply smelling the oil. Also the transmission(automatic gear) has been serviced and tampered with here in Nigeria, He went under the car and discovered traces of oil leakages around the transmission.

If the car had been serviced in the past (the A/C or transmission, for example) A mechanic will be much more experienced with recognizing and catching odometer fraud than a layperson’s untrained eye.
Even with my very little car knowledge, I understand mileage indicates the car’s age. On the average, a normal driver will drive between 10k to 15k miles a year, however, this depends on many factors. Remember, cars age by time and mileage. Buying a 10 year old car with very low miles is not necessarily a good thing

The mechanic will be able to tell, and probably pretty quickly, whether or not the car had been in a severe accident or not. Also, he will be able to pinpoint potential problems with any previous bodywork.

He will thoroughly check the tire condition, the brakes, the steering, and all the technical stuff under the hood that works even if you have no clue how it works. He will make sure the electrical system works and will continue working.

Lastly he checked the trunk of the car to make sure it is still in good condition. He discovered signs of rust, water entry due to cracks and holes. Wear inside of the trunk which indicates usage of the car roughly.

It took him 30mins to complete his inspection after which he handed over the keys to the dealer. I was very direct with the dealer, told him I'll make payment in 20mins from online banking platform if the car is certified OK by the mechanic.

I got into my car with the mechanic to get details of his finding and report of the car condition, he was very blunt " Please don't buy the car except you want to use it for few months"

His findings, the engine is weak, the car doesn't start properly, the transmission will be replaced in no time, the front chases is weak due to rust, the three engine seats are weak. The car has been used in Nigeria for four years but wasn't engraved. This is even more serious, it could be a stolen vehicle.

Unconsciously, I heave a sigh of relief and told the dealer, I'll check back. We drove off to Berger, where we saw more than 20 of this same car, same model to choose from.
Re: Buying A Used Car? Have An Expert/mechanic Do A Thorough Inspection by gulfer: 2:08pm On Sep 11, 2012
lUCKY YOU.

(1) (Reply)

g / 10 Things That Can Make Your Car Look More Beautiful / Checkout These 50 Weird-looking Tuned-up Volkswagen Beetle Cars (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.