Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Africa Countries : Whose Citizenship Would U Choose If Given A Second Chance. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africa Countries : Whose Citizenship Would U Choose If Given A Second Chance. (4876 Views)

Will You Change Your Gender If Given The Opportunity-thread For The Like Mind / Nigerian Citizenship: ? / Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa Countries : Whose Citizenship Would U Choose If Given A Second Chance. by Tolaaaaannni(f): 10:26pm On Sep 25, 2012
slimyem: I'd definitely love to be an Italian...with a name like Adrianna or Irene or Adelaide.....cheesycheesycheesy
...the why should be obvious...cheesy
I know topic says African Countries...but it has to be my Nigeria or nothing else....or my Italia fantasies..

Isn't adelaide also a nigerian name, well yoruba ( Kind of makes me wonder if the italian version as a tie to yorubaland, or vice versa. Does it?? This is a question to any history junkie in the room!shocked Please feel free to answer.) So you don't have to be italian to get that name.
Re: Africa Countries : Whose Citizenship Would U Choose If Given A Second Chance. by slimyem: 12:25am On Sep 26, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Isn't adelaide also a nigerian name, well yoruba ( Kind of makes me wonder if the italian version as a tie to yorubaland, or vice versa. Does it?? This is a question to any history junkie in the room!shocked Please feel free to answer.) So you don't have to be italian to get that name.
i know it sounds so Yoruba but i don't know of any links to yoruba ..
It is also the name of a city in South Australia with "noble kind" as meaning.
Its a derivative of germanic "Adal and heidis" which also means noble and kind.
All i know is its a sweet Italian name i'd have loved to have if i were Italian.
Re: Africa Countries : Whose Citizenship Would U Choose If Given A Second Chance. by Nobody: 12:33am On Sep 26, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Isn't [size=18pt]adelaide [/size]also a nigerian name, well yoruba ( Kind of makes me wonder if the italian version as a tie to yorubaland, or vice versa. Does it?? This is a question to any history junkie in the room!shocked Please feel free to answer.) So you don't have to be italian to get that name.

lol when I first met my Ghanaian friend, I thought she was Yoruba because of that name.

Yoruba pronounce it as "ahdaylaheday"

Ghanaians pronounce it as "adayylayd"
Re: Africa Countries : Whose Citizenship Would U Choose If Given A Second Chance. by Tolaaaaannni(f): 1:05am On Sep 26, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

lol when I first met my Ghanaian friend, I thought she was Yoruba because of that name.

Yoruba pronounce it as "ahdaylaheday"

Ghanaians pronounce it as "adayylayd"

Ikr I saw the name in my history book at one time and I always thought that it had something to do with the slave trade and maybe that was why people had that name. I later found out that it was a name of a capital city in south australia, but i still was curious about the name and why it had the same spelling as the yoruba name "laide".
slimyem: i know it sounds so Yoruba but i don't know of any links to yoruba ..

It is also the name of a city in South Australia with "noble kind" as meaning.
Its a derivative of germanic "Adal and heidis" which also means noble and kind.
All i know is its a sweet Italian name i'd have loved to have if i were Italian.

Yeah I knew this, but I didnt know why they had that name or if it had any connection to yorubaland..... So.. its german, thats interesting. I learned something new today. grin
Re: Africa Countries : Whose Citizenship Would U Choose If Given A Second Chance. by Crystal9820: 10:47pm On Jan 01, 2014
South Africa
Re: Africa Countries : Whose Citizenship Would U Choose If Given A Second Chance. by morpheus24: 3:45pm On Jan 02, 2014
^^^^^

Tufiakwa!
Re: Africa Countries : Whose Citizenship Would U Choose If Given A Second Chance. by tsiyr: 12:34pm On Oct 09, 2023
Tolaaaaannni:

What if it was their successfully overriding its actual Yoruba origin with some clever "make-believe" German etymology - don't know why i don't trust the europeans when it comes to history - they seem delibrate in always making Africa look inferior even when Egypt (Africa) played a major pioneer role in world civilization in fact we still have our pyramids on U.S Dollar till tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Africa Countries : Whose Citizenship Would U Choose If Given A Second Chance. by Michaelking10: 2:28pm On Apr 22
Adelaide is different from Adalheidis, Adelaide is a Yoruba name not what this Western is projecting. Adelaide city in Australia and Australia herself is originally a black man populated area, probably migrated from Africa when the British first moved there they called them Kurna people. I’m very sure the name Adelaide is associated to these people not Adalheidis at all very different and if Adalheidis could have evolve it would have been Adalhei or Adahei not Adelaide

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Countries Where Rats Are On The Menu!!!! / Benue People, What Does Aiye Po Gan Mean? / Igbos Are From The Heeboria Kingdom Not Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.