Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,887 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? (15110 Views)

You’ve A New Job & Your Salary Is 850k But Your Boss Insults You Too Much / Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / 6 Secrets Your Boss Doesn’t Want You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Sep 11, 2012
Lets say he just got down from his or her vehicle at the same time you were resuming work. Is it necessary you help with the bag & how would such an act paint you?.

I need response from matured Nairalanders. I seem to just dont know.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by nikkyshyne(f): 7:14pm On Sep 11, 2012
Nothing wrong at all. Even if they will stop you, nothing wrong in making an attempt. At least pretend to respect them in every aspect. He/she is your BOSS!

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Jarus(m): 8:20pm On Sep 11, 2012
I respect my female boss, but not to the extent of 'helping her with her bag'.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 1:57am On Sep 12, 2012
Hmm... I wish more people can respond to this.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by skillip(m): 6:01pm On Sep 12, 2012
@Op,if it's a female boss you are not expected to help her. I believe it is what compliments her dressing. I once tried helping mY Naija/British boss, she told me that a man does not carry a female bag. I hope I tried with my answer?

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by domack99(m): 6:50pm On Sep 12, 2012
If your boss is carrying excess luggage its fine to assist, but if its just his/her hand bag or suit case as the case may be i see no reason to assist him/her. It might likely going to be terrible if your boss is a Nigeria, becuase in Nigeria what you cannot continue you don't start.

10 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by domack99(m): 6:52pm On Sep 12, 2012
Mod can you move this thread to the front page, we need more response from different view.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Sep 12, 2012
Domack99 nice... Seriously front page.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by DisGuy: 9:33pm On Sep 12, 2012
say wetin happen

in the Nigerian context

on more than one occasion then you better get ready to do it as one of your official duties

or be prepared he'll start suspecting you, why you wan touch person property?

in fact wait for him to get into the office before even noticing him cheesy
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 13, 2012
Dis all true. U may be surprised that other people may have different views & even employers as well. Some may say they feel so apprciated whe an employee does that. Jst saying sha.

Okay, how about bowing for your boss?.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Okijajuju1(m): 4:14pm On Sep 13, 2012
@ TOPIC: Yes!!.. It reduces you to the level of a Biitch..

You should be appraised by your performance on the Job, not by how much of a butt kisser you are..

The only time you are allowed to give your boss a hand with anything not work related is only when he/she has too much on her hands that you offered to help.. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.. You are co-workers, not master and slave..

If you act like a biitch in front of your boss because you want to appear humble and nice, dont get angry when your boss treats you like one.angry

26 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by irecruit(m): 4:16pm On Sep 13, 2012
it depends on what you think. If you think it is right, then it is right, don't allow anybody to give you the wrong advice.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Sep 13, 2012
Thank You for your kind gesture. I will carry my bag myself.

Some people do it as as..s lickers though.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by LesbianBoy(m): 4:18pm On Sep 13, 2012
If there is money inside it is WRONG! But if there is no money then its not WRONG!
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by slimyem: 4:19pm On Sep 13, 2012
Its not wrong but then i don't do it..
I'm not a messenger/P.A and its not part of my job description!
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by greall1: 4:21pm On Sep 13, 2012
What wrong about that.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by MrLee(m): 4:22pm On Sep 13, 2012
It depends on d situation and if u need extra favor. Wisdom is profitable 2 direct.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by kokoye(m): 4:22pm On Sep 13, 2012
Why should I help anybody if they are hale and hearty ..is the boss handicapped in anyway or the bag is too heavy for him or her??

It is butt licking..simple.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by horny4u(f): 4:23pm On Sep 13, 2012
Okija_juju: @ TOPIC: Yes!!.. It reduces you to the level of a Biitch..

You should be appraised by your performance on the Job, not by how much of a butt kisser you are..

The only time you are allowed to give your boss a hand with anything not work related is maybe she had too much on her hands that you offered to help.. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.. You are co-workers, not master and slave..

If you act like a biitch in front of your boss because you want to appear humble and nice, dont get angry when your boss treats you like one.angry

I agree BUT that is overseas in Naija I feel you may have to help kiss ass its a cultural thing ingrained in us.
On friday the MD was leaving the office with documents high up to his neck, my first insticnt was to help but the Indian girl who office is directly across the door just concentrate on her computer and so I did the same ( when in rome...be a roman) but if it was Naija we may be facing disciplinary committee for hitting the keyboard too hard not knowing your real sin was not helping with the documents.

@ OP offer to help... if your re in naija...

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Bawss1(m): 4:24pm On Sep 13, 2012
Wait. People still take bags to work? shocked

Just kidding cheesy

Seriously there is nothing more butt-kissy than this.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by kokoye(m): 4:24pm On Sep 13, 2012
If you try it in some countries, that boss will laugh at you.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Cupidkc(m): 4:24pm On Sep 13, 2012
domack99: If your boss is carrying excess lodgage its fine to assist, but if its just his/her hand bag or suit case as the case may be i see no reason to assist him/her. It might likely going to be terrible if your boss is a Nigeria, becuase in Nigeria what you cannot continue you don't start.
Seconded!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by emilyone(f): 4:24pm On Sep 13, 2012
i dont think there is anything wrong with it, especially if the boss is older than you, just do it as a show of respect.

i do help my boss with his bags, but not all the time, it all depends on my mood wink
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Kobojunkie: 4:24pm On Sep 13, 2012
T_Bademosi: Lets say he just got down from his or her vehicle at the same time you were resuming work. Is it necessary you help with the bag & how would such an act paint you?.

I need response from matured Nairalanders. I seem to just dont know.

[size=15pt]YES[/size] -- If you are simply helping because he/she is your boss

No, if you are just trying to be police to a WOMAN . . . a Man should always carry his own bag. If he needs help, he should ask for it first.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by hardbody: 4:25pm On Sep 13, 2012
Okija_juju: @ TOPIC: Yes!!.. It reduces you to the level of a Biitch..

The only time you are allowed to give your boss a hand with anything not work related is only when he/she has too much on her hands that you offered to help.. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.. You are co-workers, not master and slave..

Dead on point. My exact views and work attitude that.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by DonHummer(m): 4:25pm On Sep 13, 2012
It depends...as an IT student i did such 4 my boss cos i needed som tip off 4rm him....bt if i was a bonafide member of d company ..i wunt do it
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by DonCarlos1(m): 4:26pm On Sep 13, 2012
It is not a good practise in a corporate environment. In our village settings, our culture may demand but please not in a corporate setting, it paints u as a bootlicker and I personally do not trust one who is eager to carry the boss's bag.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by DonHummer(m): 4:26pm On Sep 13, 2012
It depends...as an IT student i did such 4 my boss cos i needed som tip off 4rm him....bt if i was a bonafide member of d company ..i wunt do it afteral ee no go increas my salary
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Odinaka00(m): 4:28pm On Sep 13, 2012
[b][/b]Pls mod move this topic Ť☺ d back-page, AGORA
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by femmy2010(m): 4:28pm On Sep 13, 2012
Nothing wrong with it.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by Odinaka00(m): 4:29pm On Sep 13, 2012
Don Carlos: It is not a good practise in a corporate environment. In our village settings, our culture may demand but please not in a corporate setting, it paints u as a bootlicker and I personally do not trust one who is eager to carry the boss's bag.

GBAM!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? by nagoma(m): 4:31pm On Sep 13, 2012
Don Carlos: It is not a good practise in a corporate environment. In our village settings, our culture may demand but please not in a corporate setting, it paints u as a bootlicker and I personally do not trust one who is eager to carry the boss's bag.

That sums up my view. I wouldn't want to do it and if I was the boss I would certainly not allow it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Aero Airline Staff Protest At MMIA, Lagos (photos) / Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. / Chemistry( Pure/industrial/ Analytical Etc) Graduates And Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.