Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,101 members, 7,867,165 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 11:39 AM

Can You Read Between The Lines When Your Boss Talks? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can You Read Between The Lines When Your Boss Talks? (695 Views)

You’ve A New Job & Your Salary Is 850k But Your Boss Insults You Too Much / Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / 6 Secrets Your Boss Doesn’t Want You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can You Read Between The Lines When Your Boss Talks? by omni1: 12:26pm On Sep 12, 2012
As your boss walks by your cubicle, she casually mentions that the team is getting pizza for lunch. But you know that she's really saying, "Nobody's getting a raise this year." Understanding your boss's communication style will save you from sleepless nights of trying to decode her conversations. Take this quiz to see if you can interpret what your head honcho's really trying to say.

1. 'Let me focus on big-picture ideas; you execute the details.'

Translation:
A. "I want to goof off this afternoon, and you seem like you know more about this."
B. "I'll be taking credit for your work after the project is complete."
C. "Do all the work but don't be surprised when I criticize you anyway."
D. "Let's discuss my vision and the steps you can take to make this happen."

2. 'I'll be out of the office this afternoon, but you can reach me on my cell phone.'

Translation:
A. "I'm playing hooky, but if anything funny happens, call me."
B. "I'm golfing and will ignore your phone calls."
C. "I have important things to do, and if you try to call me, I'll fire you."
D. "You'll be fine working on your own, but reach out if you need help."

3. 'We're going to be staying late the next couple of weeks.'

Translation:
A. "My home life stinks. Let's all hang out so I don't have to go home."
B. "I'll still be going home at 4 p.m., and that means you need to pick up my work."
C. "The new hours will be 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., permanently."
D. "Everybody will be staying later for a few weeks to get this new project done."

4. 'I'll think about it.'

Translation:
A. "I don't know what we're talking about; I need to find somebody who does."
B. "Let me figure out a way to steal this idea."
C. "I'm doing something more important right now than listening to you."
D. "Send me a follow-up email detailing your idea."

5. 'It's good to see you take the initiative.'

Translation:
A. "Now I have less work to do."
B. "You remind me of me."
C. "Finally, you're doing something on your own."
D. "It's good to see you take the initiative.8

Results[size=12pt][/size]

Read up the correct responses from the main article from http://joblogics.info/2012/09/12/can-you-read-between-the-lines-when-your-boss-talks
Thanks as we meet you there. Don't forget to like our Facebook Fan's page and Follow us on Twitter as well as link to us on LinkedIn. See you there!

(1) (Reply)

ATTN; Who Has Heard From Addax / Earn Over N8,000 Within 1 Week / Marine Engineers Onboard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.