Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,761 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:28 AM

It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses (1610 Views)

Biafran;seun Should Be Dragged To The International Court Of Justice. / Angry Nigerians React On Twitter As Musiliu Obanikoro Is Confirmed As Minister / EXCLUSIVE-Jonathan,Muazu,Okonjo,FFK wooing Ribadu To PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by BigB11(m): 4:48pm On Jan 09, 2008
Ribadu dragged to court over N668m houses

A Federal High Court in Abuja has been asked to compel the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, to probe the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over alleged acquisition of a $3.9 million (about N468 million) villa in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and another house in Mambilla Street in Abuja valued at N200 million.

The order of mandamus being sought is to establish how Ribadu got the money, as a public officer, to acquire the alleged properties.

The court is also asked to issue another order compelling Ribadu to publicly render the audited accounts of EFCC since it was established in 2002 and make it available to the National Assembly.

The suit was filed by two legal practitioners, Ogboli Charles and Ugochukwu Osuagwu. In the originating summons lodged at the registry of the Federal High Court, Abuja, the lawyers joined the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Inspector General of Police (IGP) as respondents.

They said they were forced to come to court following the failure by the office of the IGP to act on the petition they wrote and directed to the IGP to probe allegations of corruption against Ribadu.

According to them, they made available the allegation of corruption to the outgoing EFCC boss and that up till now, he neither denied nor affirmed the allegation.

In their writ before the court, they formulated three fundamental and constitutional issues for the court to determine:

•Whether the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is under a statutory duty to keep proper accounts, its receipts, payments, assets and liabilities;

•Whether EFCC is under a statutory duty to submit its accounts for auditing;

•Whether EFCC has since 2002 complied with the requirements of section 35 and 36 of the EFCC Act 2002 which require it to audit its account and submit same not later than 30th September each year to the National Assembly.

In the event the above questions are resolved in the affirmative, they wanted the court to grant them the following reliefs:

•An order compelling EFCC and Mallam Nuhu Ribadu to render its audited accounts from 2002 to 2007 publicly and submit same to the National Assembly;

•An order directing Mallam Ribadu to state how, while a public officer, he came about the sum of $3,948,479.00k which he allegedly used in purchasing a villa at Palm Beach Estate, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, sometime in 2004;

•An order directing Mallam Ribadu to state how, while a public officer, he realised the sum of N200 million with which he allegedly used to buy the official residence of a former Inspector General of Police at Mambilla Street, Maitama in Abuja;

•An order compelling the Inspector-General of Police to conduct an investigation into the allegation of corruption preferred against Ribadu with a view to arresting and/or prosecuting him where the allegation discloses a prima facie case of corruption.

In a 15-paragraph affidavit accompanying the writ, the two lawyers said that they are citizens of Nigeria, taxpayers and registered voters with civil obligation to join in the fight to eradicate corruption in the country.

They said their status conferred enough locus on them to file the case in court.

They explained that they had earlier written a letter dated December 24, 2007 addressed to Ribadu asking him to render the account of his office spanning five and a half years; a request which they claimed was not complied with.

They said even though they also wrote the IGP to investigate Ribadu over how he amassed the wealth to acquire properties in and outside Nigeria, nothing was done, hence the lawsuit.

The matter is yet to be assigned to any of the judges for hearing. But the case is likely to get an accelerated hearing; the plaintiffs having approached the court through an originating summons.

http://www.ngex.com/cgi-bin/frame/frameit2.plx?link="http://www.tribune.com.ng"
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by BigB11(m): 4:49pm On Jan 09, 2008
Now, does this make any sense?

Ribadu supporters should be ashame of themselves!
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by almondjoy(f): 4:54pm On Jan 09, 2008
Big B1:

Ribadu supporters should be ashamed of themselves!

I think they have all run for cover.  Like we did not know what Ribadu was about all along? undecided  Yeah right!!!!! OBJ is like Midas who turns everything to Gold with his touch.  He even tried to make Ribadu look like a golden EFCC chairman.  Some of us knew better.  Anything OBJ touches turns to shit---including the OBJ "itself".

Like I stated before, I have never lost any sleep over "fight against corruption" in Nigeria. The joke is on Nigerians who have lost the ability to think and see things for what they really are.

Evidence of loss of hope and eternal damnation.  Like the saying goes, once there is life there is hope.  Nigerians do not have any lives so can never have any hope.

Back to my personal business please! cool
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by linuxuser(m): 5:30pm On Jan 09, 2008
It's A Lie! I Have No House In Dubai —Ribadu
Posted by admin on 2008/1/9 15:59:28 (800 reads)
Embattled Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, rose swiftly this morning to dismiss as untrue claim by some lawyers that he bought a house in Dubai and another in a high brow area of Abuja for a whopping sum of N699 milllion.

Speaking with our reporters this morning on the allegations published in two national dailies, Ribadu said the allegations were manufactured and a product of the imagination of their authors.

“It is part of the trash that has been spewed by those affected by our actions and their agents. It is not the first time they are saying these things. They can even claim I own Lagos and Abuja,’’ he said.

Two lawyers based in Abuja, Messrs. Ogboli Charles and Ugochukwu Ogbuagwu, had deposed to an affidavit in an Abuja Federal High Court alleging that Ribadu bought a villa at Palm Beach Estate , Dubai, UAE worth $3,948,479.00 and a N200 million property at Mambilla Street, Maitama District, Abuja.

The two lawyers are asking the court to compel Ribadu to explain how he realized the money which he allegedly used to buy the property.

Rising in Ribadu’s defence, his friend and former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mallam Nasir El Rufai, said it is not true that Ribadu bought the said house in Abuja. The house which sold for N50 million was sold to Ribadu’s father in-law, Professor Iya Abubakar, and not for N200 million as claimed by the litigants but for N50 million.

Mallam Ribadu threw a challenge at his accusers, asking them to report him to the police or take him before the ICPC for prosecution.

“The IG is there, the ICPC is there, if the two bodies find anything against me, they are free to prosecute me,’’ he said.

“What will I do with a house in Dubai?’’ Ribadu asked. “They are doing this out of desperation. It is the same people who offered me $15 million and I declined that are behind this. They certainly will fail,” he said.

Since the emergence of Alhaji Umaru Yar’Adua as president, many attempts have been made to smear Ribadu by the corrupt people he has been pursuing. Initially, they said that he had no law degree and didn’t attend law school. When that did not hold, they used a Nigerian businessman, Terry Waya, recently convicted in London for money laundering, to write a petition to Yar’Adua alleging corrupt practices against him. When that failed, they alleged that he collected money from the former governor of Akwa Ibom State, Obong Victor Attah, using a front.

When that was investigated by the presidency and found to be false, another convict, Emma Nwude, whose property was seized in a $240 million fraud involving a Brazillian bank, was conscripted to allege that Ribadu sold his property to his friends at cheap rate.

The EFCC denied having a hand in the sale of the property while the company appointed by the court to carry out the sales came out publicly to own up to selling the properties.

http://www.thenewsng.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4023

Big1B1,

Its rather you people that are IBB supporters that should burry your head in shame. Its already established that IBB stole money and institutionalised corruption in Nigeria. IBB is nothing but the father of all rogues that ever ruled Nigeria. There is no denial of this. All you and your sponsors are desperately trying to do is just grasps for survival. All the lies against Ribadu will not work. Let them publish the evidences.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by linuxuser(m): 5:40pm On Jan 09, 2008
Now, does this make any sense? by BigB1

BigB1,

Yes it makes sense in the sense that it displays the childishness and cheer ignorance of people like you that have no respect for the truth. IBB is established to have looted Nigeria with absolute perfection and yet you are his die-hard supporter. Who is fooling who? Is your comment guided by the TRUTH and a PURE CONSCIENCE or you are driven by, Please point us to the number of threads you started to condemn the evil IBB perpertrated in Nigeria. The havoc IBB wrecked on Nigeria's finances and the shame he (IBB) brought to our Nation is unqualified. Whereas you know the number of threads you have started about Ribadu in the last 2/3 weeks. Does that make any sense?
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by Kobojunkie: 5:44pm On Jan 09, 2008
Am I the only one that finds all this suspicious?? It's only been a couple of days since the announcement that the man is to be sent back to school and it seems there have been accusations from all points coming at him like no man's business since then?? Did they not know of all this while he was in office Where were all his accusers when he was in office a couple of weeks ago

I really do not know much about the man myself or the case against him but I must say that it seems from all the news on him, something does not seem right.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by otokx(m): 5:46pm On Jan 09, 2008
Who confirmed what? wetin dis ribadu do una eh? abeg the man dey try.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by linuxuser(m): 5:48pm On Jan 09, 2008
Did they not know of all this while he was in office Where were all his accusers when he was in office a couple of weeks ago by Kobojunkie

Over to you BIGB1.  May be you can help us with an answer that is guided by the TRUTH and a PURE CONSCIENCE.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by doyin13(m): 5:49pm On Jan 09, 2008
@Big B1

that is my own gripe with you too. You swear by Babangida through thick and thin, the man who accelearated our rapid descent
into this moral morass, despite all clear indications that the man was as dirty as my anus.

Isn't that Minna mansion just a tad beyond the official salary of a military personnel.

Its quite rich of you talking about due process and upholding the law, when you staunchly defend the man who
trampled on it for eight years. . .

Really. . .shame on you man
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by BigB11(m): 6:02pm On Jan 09, 2008
Wow!

Unbelievable to witness how much love I'm getting lately from my brothers and sisters; I love you guys too.
OK, I will simmer down as usual and allow time to tell.

@Linuxuser:
If I were you, I would immediately take it easy and watch my language when I talk to Big B1.
I haven't called any names, I've only focused on the topic and it will be clever if you do the same, trust me!
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by ono(m): 6:07pm On Jan 09, 2008
linuxuser:

Did they not know of all this while he was in office Where were all his accusers when he was in office a couple of weeks ago by Kobojunkie

Over to you BIGB1. May be you can help us with an answer that is guided by the TRUTH and a PURE CONSCIENCE.

Well, at the time he was in office, no one dared raised a finger against the anointed one - just like he couldn't prosecute thieving governors while they were in office. But now, he's a yeoman, stripped of every privileges and sent back to school. So, why won't the news come out from no where?

Also, why did he not come out with all the charges brought against Ibori recently while Ibori was in office? Why did he wait until the guy was out of office? This is a case of tit for tat.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by Kobojunkie: 6:10pm On Jan 09, 2008
ono:

Well, at the time he was in office, no one dared raised a finger against the anointed one - just like he couldn't prosecute thieving governors while they were in office. But now, he's a yeoman, stripped of every privileges and sent back to school. So, why won't the news come out from no where?

Also, why did he not come out with all the charges brought against Ibori recently while Ibori was in office? Why did he wait until the guy was out of office? This is a case of tit for tat.

That does not make sense at all @Ono. I mean Yaradua is still in office and look how many have stepped up to bring him in only 7 months of his being in office.
Well, if this is tit for tat, it is really a childish game.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by BigB11(m): 6:15pm On Jan 09, 2008

Also, why did he not come out with all the charges brought against Ibori recently while Ibori was in office? Why did he wait until the guy was out of office? This is a case of tit for tat

@Ono:
Please, say no more; time will tell.

I always try my best not to get involved with fake news and I'm sure that when the time is right the wind will blow and the chicken as s will be exposed.

Again, I have nothing directly against Ribadu, I just crave to witness the real war against corruption in My lovely country, Nigeria.
And I do not think that is too much to ask!

May God bless Nigeria.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by linuxuser(m): 6:17pm On Jan 09, 2008
Also, why did he not come out with all the charges brought against Ibori recently while Ibori was in office? Why did he wait until the guy was out of office? This is a case of tit for tat. by ono.

You know the answer to this question yourself but only trying to hide behind one finger one can guess.  Does it make any sense? - borrowed from my good friend BIGB1
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by doyin13(m): 6:19pm On Jan 09, 2008
Big B1:

@Ono:
Please, say no more; time will tell.

I always try my best not to get involved with fake news and I'm sure that when the time is right the wind will blow and the chicken as s will be exposed.

Again, I have nothing directly against Ribadu, I just crave to witness the real war against corruption in My lovely country, Nigeria.

May God bless Nigeria.

For allah's sake- - - - - - - - - - -quite patronising walahi
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by cooldude62(m): 6:25pm On Jan 09, 2008
Ribadu too? haba,can we really fight corruption?He has to be tried o
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by BigB11(m): 6:27pm On Jan 09, 2008
FYI:In fact, I prefer this news to be inaccurate, because it wouldn't speak well of the future of our nation and would be absolutely sad drama for everybody (ie I don't think anyone will benefit from this allegation being true).

I prefer to label Ribadu as the king of selective justice, but as a corrupt top Nigerian government official, I'm not sure if that will fit well.
It would be a very sad moment for Nigeria in general; hence let's hope for the best.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by linuxuser(m): 6:28pm On Jan 09, 2008
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] by BIGB1.

Good talk but let us include IBB as well because excluding IBB will be nothing but selective justice which is what some of us are accusing Ribadu of as its an established fact that IBB looted our Treasury hence I strongly feel "your crave to wirness the real war against corruption in our Country, Nigeria" must include our condemnation of all perpetrators of corruption and this without any question includes IBB.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by McKren(m): 6:28pm On Jan 09, 2008
Big B1:

Ribadu supporters should be ashame of themselves!

Really?

Someone went to court praying that the court should compel the IG to pobe Ribadu. In essence he simply wrote a petition to the IG through the back door. No evidence was produced, neither has a case been established against Ribadu. Unfortunately this suit will be thrown out because the Lawyer in question lacks locus standi.

Lets say hypothetically that a petition which is yet to be investigated was sent to the IG, how is that an indictment on Ribadu's personality when the case lacks evidence and has no iorta of truth in it.

Am not too sure who should be ashamed of themself

It is not clear anymore if this is borne out of blind hatred for Ribadu or inability to understand simple english.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by linuxuser(m): 6:31pm On Jan 09, 2008
It is not clear anymore if this is borne out of blind hatred for Ribadu or inability to understand simple english[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]. by McKren

McKren,

I will think its a combination of both and much more - desperation to cover up; amongst others.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by BigB11(m): 6:32pm On Jan 09, 2008
@McKren:

I knew it!
I knew sooner or later, your face would appear.

You've accomplished your mighty goal for today; all your boys you've sent to attack me did a wonderful job. But I'm sure that the bigger clown will remain standing and smiling at the end of the day.

Time will tell!
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by BigB11(m): 6:35pm On Jan 09, 2008
Good talk but let us include IBB as well because excluding IBB will be nothing but selective justice which is what some of us are accusing Ribadu of as its an established fact that IBB looted our Treasury hence I strongly feel "your crave to wirness the real war against corruption in our Country, Nigeria" must include our condemnation of all perpetrators of corruption and this without any question includes IBB.

Bring it on!
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by doyin13(m): 6:40pm On Jan 09, 2008
@BigB1

On a serious note

Even more established judicial systems find it difficult going after every criminal. . .

That is why they go after those they can get. . .so selectivity is a characteristic of even the most stringent criminal justice systems
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by BigB11(m): 6:54pm On Jan 09, 2008
@doyin:

Absolutely rubbish.

The sad part is the fact that Nigerians are so quick to settle for less or zero and also believe that there is no other way, but Ribaduism selective way.
The war could be fought effectively and efficiently without being selective if we just learn how to be fair, firmed and respect the constitution of Nigeria.
Selectivity is the enemy of success and a quick method to crumble a nation into dust.

I'm sorry, I've always been reaching for the best in everything and will absolutely not start reaching for failure just because McKren said so!
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by doyin13(m): 7:14pm On Jan 09, 2008
Which makes your double standards on Babangida astounding
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by McKren(m): 9:12pm On Jan 09, 2008
Doyin

Ignore this guy called BigB1, he talks about respect for the constitution but he lacks that himself.

The demographics of Nigeria as provided in the constitution takes into cognizance ethnicity, geographical region, religion. The constitution also recognize political parties.

So until anybody is able to establsih a trend showing that a section of the society (as provided in the constitution) has been targeted, the talk about selectivity is out of place and should only be seen as defense mechanism by those who loot the country.

The constitution does not anywhere talk about friends or enemies of the President, neither does any government agency whatsoever hold records of who they consider friends or enemies of the President.

So it beggars belief how such a selectivity slogan routed on something that the constitution does not recognize should be placed as a priority over making any attempt at fighting corruption which the constitution frowns at.

We can not continue to have a situation where when you ask someone to give account of their stewardship, the next thing you see is card carrying members of the ruling party opposing the Government all in their bid to secure political immunity.

Being opposed to Government is not license to steal. Afterall the No.1 Technical opposition leader in Nigeria is yet to be arrested for corruption.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by initiator(m): 9:53pm On Jan 09, 2008
I'v not comentd on nairaland for a long and after my vacation from the politix section, i'v stil come back to Big B1's boring monotone of heaping accusations on one of Nigeria's most passionate public officers while ignoring IBB's corruption holocust, so much for selectivism.

And for ono, ribadu did not go after ibori while in office because of the immunity clause, a facility that doesn't cover ribadu.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by BigB11(m): 10:00pm On Jan 09, 2008
Why can't you take another vacation?

It is ridiculous that folks find it very difficult to focus on the topic.
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by Crownvilla(m): 10:04pm On Jan 09, 2008
The story about Ribadu's mansions was first reported in The Independent; the newspaper owned by James Ibori.  

Would you buy an insurance policy from James Ibori?  

Go on Landers, do the math yourself!!!!!  grin grin
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by ndubest(m): 8:30am On Jan 10, 2008
Read this

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article18//indexn2_html?pdate=100108&ptitle=EFCC%20denies%20Ribadu%20owns%20houses%20in%20Dubai,%20Abuja
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by Nobody: 10:18am On Jan 10, 2008
This is why Nigeria will not progress, all these false accusations on Ribadu, its simply corruption fighting back. I have lost hope, Ibori has been moved from prison now he can fall sick, they have gotten Ribadu out of the way, its time to get Ibori off.
This country is moving backward lets go back to a land of free stealing for all, I never thought i will consider living out of Nigeria, but with recent developments I have been thinking about it. We want to make Nigeria better but we have one criminal Attorney General who is determined to take us backward for his selfish clients and his stupid ego. Kai, am fustrated
Re: It Is Confirmed:ribadu To Be Dragged To Court Over N668m Houses by initiator(m): 11:41am On Jan 10, 2008
Yea aisha, U got it as said by ribadu on cnn's inside africa: 'if u fight corruption, corruption would fight back.'

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Youth Of Today? / I'm Feeling Sorry For Buhari / Acn To Endorse Prince Abubakar Audu As Flagbearer Today In Lokoja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.