Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,504 members, 7,816,197 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. (45621 Views)

Nigerian-american Of Igbo Descent Wins Lawsuit Against Rapper "The Game" / 15 Famous African Female Celebrities Who Must Marry By Force In 2016 / Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by Hero(m): 3:00am On Jan 11, 2008
[B]GABRIELLE UNION & NIA LONG & BRANDY NORWOOD[/B]

[B]ICE CUBE & KOBE BRYANT[/B]

[B]VIVICA A. FOX & Timberland[/B]

[B]More to come[/B]
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by OgidiBoy(m): 3:12am On Jan 11, 2008
Hero abeg here did you get this your very controversial information shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by DisGuy: 3:25am On Jan 11, 2008
lol probably doing it based on what they look like undecided

thought ice cube was from southern africa cheesy

Kobe ain't igbo man, stop begging it tongue

Vivica ? looks eastern African to me

jews?
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by OgidiBoy(m): 3:33am On Jan 11, 2008
They used to hear people say Mike Tyson was Igbo, and his Nigerian name was Micheal Tabansi is that also true ?
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by Hero(m): 3:55am On Jan 11, 2008
JOHNNY GILL

WHITNEY HOUSTON

QUEEN LATIFAH
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by princekay1(m): 4:17am On Jan 11, 2008
are you sure these celebs are ndigbo? I only know of Onyeka Onwenu and Pete Edochie

2 Likes

Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by Hero(m): 5:46am On Jan 11, 2008
princekay1:

are you sure these celebs are ndigbo? I only know of Onyeka Onwenu and Pete Edochie

Those that you've listed aren't African-Americans (Akatas). The celebs that I'm posting are African-Americans of Igbo descent according to a documentation one of my sisters came across. What I do know for sure is this; my siblings, my mother and moms side of the family are also of significant Igbo descent as well. We're African-Americans.  It's believed that about 60% of AA could be of some significant Igbo descent. They were brought here in much larger numbers than any other single African ethnic group. The Goula AA of coastal Georgia are all of Igbo descent.

In an old 18th century Virginian population nutritive it was stated that as many of 80% of the blacks in the Chesapeake and Delaware Valley regions of the US could be of "Ebo stock" Ebo is a common corruption of the spelling of Igbo. This narrative was published not long after former president John Adams' grandfather was poisoned to death by a group of his female Igbo slaves at his plantation in Virginia. There's a book about the incident called "Murder at Mt. Pelier".   

TD JAKES

ALLEN IVERSON

(Singer) Shanice Wilson

AVANT

MISSY ELLIOTT

KEISHA NIGHT-PULLIAM (Rudy from Cosby show) cheesy

TEMPEST BLEDSO  (Vanessa from cosby show) cheesy

JILL SCOTT
[img]http://eurweb.com/images/articles/200503/jill_scott(004-gorgeous-med).jpg[/img]

ANITA BAKER

SHIRLEY MURDOCK

KELLY PRICE

1 Like

Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by eldee(m): 11:03am On Jan 11, 2008
Okay, list all the african american celebs in the US so we'll know that there were no other countries that participated in the slave trade.
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by chiogo(f): 8:49pm On Jan 11, 2008
@Hero, Is that Tempest Bledsoe from the cosby show for real?? Man, she looks different now. She was cuter when she was younger.
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by DisGuy: 2:27am On Jan 12, 2008
Missy Elliot is from Osun state, why you trying it grin

Iverson is from Kogi
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by OgidiBoy(m): 2:41am On Jan 12, 2008
Dis Guy:

Missy Elliot is from Osun state, why you trying it grin

Iverson is from Kogi

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lmao!!!!
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by Winnergal(f): 3:18am On Jan 12, 2008
T. D. Jakes
Born June 11, 1957 (1957-06-11) (age 50)
Flag of West Virginia Charleston, West Virginia, US.
Occupation Preacher, life coach, author
Website T.D. Jakes Ministries

Thomas Dexter "T. D." Jakes Sr. was born June 11, 1957 in Charleston, West Virginia. He is an African-American pastor of the The Potter's House, a 23,000 member church in Dallas, Texas.[1] It is a primarily African-American non-denominational megachurch.

His church services and evangelistic sermons are broadcast on The Potter's Touch, which airs on the Trinity Broadcasting Network. He also airs on The Word Network. Other aspects of Jakes' ministry include an annual revival called "MegaFest" (which draws more than 100,000 people during that period of time), an annual women's conference called "Woman Thou Art Loosed", and gospel music recordings.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 History
* 2 Family
* 3 Movies
* 4 Criticism
* 5 Books by T.D. Jakes
* 6 References
* 7 External links

[edit] History

He founded The Potter's House in 1994, with about 50 families that had relocated with him from his former congregation, Greater Emmanuel Temple of Faith in Cross Lanes, West Virginia. In its 11-year existence it has grown to over 30,000 members. Both Jakes and his Potter's House church are unrelated to the Potter's House Christian Fellowship, a Pentecostal denomination founded in Arizona in 1970. He has 5 children (Jamar, Jermaine, Cora, Sarah, and Thomas Jakes Jr.) His wife's name is Serita Ann Jakes.

Family[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt]
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]
[size=8pt]For the 2006 PBS program African American Lives, Jakes had his DNA analyzed; his Y chromosome showed that he is descended from the Yoruba people of what is now Nigeria.[2][3] According to his family history, it was also suggested that he was descended from the Igbo people through his paternal grandmother
.[4][5]
[/font][/font]
[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[edit] Movies

The movie Woman Thou Art Loosed is based on Jakes' novel of the same name.[6] Not Easily Broken is another movie being made that is based on another novel by Jakes.[7]

[edit] Criticism

Critics have accused him of promoting views on God that derive from Oneness Pentecostalism [8], but he has denied this.[9]

Jakes earned his bachelors, masters, and doctorate degree from Friends International Christian University (specific source: www.pottershouse.org-about us, t.d. jakes, honors). FICU is listed as an institution not accredited by an agency recognized by the US. Dept. of Education

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.D._Jakes
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by lafile(m): 4:00pm On Jan 17, 2008
@Poster
Na them tell you abi na you tell dem? The only ones i sure say na igbo are
MIchael Jackson, Busta Rhymes, O.J Simpson, and Mike Tyson.
TD Jakes fit be ibo sha. See the bia bia be like pete edochie.
For the rest?
Ice Cube is Urhobo by virtue of his resemblance to Ibori
Queen Latifah is pure Ogbomoso girl. Iya Pati. See the name sef.
Jill Scott is from Isale Eko
Johnny Gill is from Niger Delta. Pure Militant.
Brandy is Fulani. No question.
Missy Elliot is a bini girl. Check the craze.
Vivica Fox is Calabar. Cant you see how homely she looks?
Anita Baker is hausa from Kaduna South. See the 'tiro' for her eye?

I'll be back with the genealogy of the others
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by carmelily: 11:28am On Jun 24, 2008
Hero:

The celebs that I'm posting are African-Americans of Igbo descent according to a documentation one of my sisters came across. What I do know for sure is this; my siblings, my mother and moms side of the family are also of significant Igbo descent as well. We're African-Americans. It's believed that about 60% of AA could be of some significant Igbo descent. They were brought here in much larger numbers than any other single African ethnic group. The Goula AA of coastal Georgia are all of Igbo descent.

What a crack of shite!!!! shocked 60%?? good Lord. Does any sane person believe this?? u left out Barack Obama, Beyonce and Jesse Jackson. In fact why did u bother to be selective?? ALL of the african-american slaves were taken from ONLY Eastern Nigeria. End of discussion.
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by bluehorizo(m): 2:46pm On Jun 24, 2008
Poster

In your dreams cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by MethodMan3(m): 3:12pm On Jun 24, 2008
@Poster

Na lie, all this people wey u splatter dem pictures are not!

simply go to wikipedia or go to bed!!
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by Emad(f): 3:20pm On Jun 24, 2008
the slaves were taken from African over 400 years ago
they were first shipped to Portugal, then to france and Britain , then to south America and then to America

the have been so many intermarriages between the Slaves from Generation to generation and so many Mixed raced children over the years
so that Now there is single nation or place in africa that can boast that any one black american is more than 2% originally from there
(  60% is completely ridiculous )

Michael Jackson once did some research to try to find his  origin and the name Ethiopia came up, but that was only a rough estimate which was suceptible to so many
varying parametres!

so i have just one piece of advice for you Mr poster, GO AND GET A JOB!!
because you are obviously suffering from an extreme lack of joblessness

OgidiBoy:

They used to hear people say Mike Tyson was Igbo, and his Nigerian name was Micheal Tabansi is that also true ?

grin grin LMAO
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by carmelily: 4:30pm On Jun 24, 2008
Emad:

Now there is single nation or place in africa that can boast that any one black american is more than 2% originally from there
( 60% is completely ridiculous )

@emad, u miss the absurdity of mr. poster's claims. he is asserting that 60% of African Americans are of Igbo descent!! if it were what u think he meant, it wouldn't sound so drunken cheesy
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by morpheus24: 4:31pm On Jun 24, 2008
Emad:

the slaves were taken from African over 400 years ago
they were first shipped to Portugal, then to france and Britain , then to south America and then to America

the have been so many intermarriages between the Slaves from Generation to generation and so many Mixed raced children over the years
so that Now there is single nation or place in africa that can boast that any one black american is more than 2% originally from there
(  60% is completely ridiculous )

Michael Jackson once did some research to try to find his  origin and the name Ethiopia came up, but that was only a rough estimate which was suceptible to so many
varying parametres!

so i have just one piece of advice for you Mr poster, GO AND GET A JOB!!
because you are obviously suffering from an extreme lack of joblessness

grin grin LMAO

That statement is not quite accurate. Y chromozone DNA can help establish a patrilineal lineage of AA linking a cluster of their genes to a single ethnic group from Africa if that chromosones marking remains consistent with the geneflow in a specific area then it is safe to say that person is from that area.

Its not impossible for anyone of them to be classified as Igbo. 400 years is a very small amount of time when talking about genetics.
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by Emad(f): 5:06pm On Jun 24, 2008
sorry i do not agree

400 years of perpertual intermarriages is a lot of time
and these are people who were taken from Nigeria, Benin, togo, niger, the inner hinterlands of African, mixed with teh southern Africans
( that's only Africa alone)
When the slave women went there they were raped on serial ocasions by white slave owners ( from all parts of the world) , the coloured children they had were intermarried again and again amongst africans of different origins

I am willing to bet on 2% but definitely NOT on 60% that is tooooo coincidental , and for the number of people she / he mentioned above
I GREATLY DOUBT IT
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by Emad(f): 5:11pm On Jun 24, 2008
carmelily:

@emad, u miss the absurdity of mr. poster's claims. he is asserting that 60% of African Americans are of Igbo descent!! if it were what u think he meant, it wouldn't sound so drunken cheesy

WHATTtttttttttttttttttttttttttttt 60% of Black Amercians , from Igboland? PLULIZEEEEEEEEEEE shocked shocked
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by ololomu(m): 5:22pm On Jun 24, 2008
the poster is saying that they are of igbo descent. even if they intermarried one million times, thier origin is igbo!!!! dont jelousy,
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by ima1(f): 5:25pm On Jun 24, 2008
because nigeria is the only african country and igbo is the only african language, abegi. find something else to say or shut up
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by Emad(f): 5:33pm On Jun 24, 2008
ololomu:

the poster is saying that they are of igbo descent. even if they intermarried one million times, their origin is igbo!!!! don't jelousy,

i wonder with such level of illiteracy how you could access the internet?
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by morpheus24: 5:39pm On Jun 24, 2008
Emad:

sorry i do not agree

400 years of perpertual intermarriages is a lot of time
and these are people who were taken from Nigeria, Benin, togo, niger, the inner hinterlands of African, mixed with the southern Africans
( that's only Africa alone)
When the slave women went there they were raped on serial ocasions by white slave owners ( from all parts of the world) , the coloured children they had were intermarried again and again amongst africans of different origins

I am willing to bet on 2% but definitely NOT on 60% that is tooooo coincidental , and for the number of people she / he mentioned above
I GREATLY DOUBT IT

Again it is possible for any of those people pictured above to be of primary igbo descent. The 60% of AA concentrated in Georgia for example who were sampled may have a cluster of genes that appear dominant in the Igbo from the south of Nigeria.

Yes there has been mixing of different kinds. However this does not take away the fact that African Americans can trace their origin of depatures from Africa.

A mixed child with one european parent and one African parent will inherit 23 chormosone each from a cluster of genes that are dominant in europeans and dominant in Africans. Making him 50% european and 50% African. If you concentrate on the cluster of the european genes you can pinpoint specifically where the cluster of Y chromosone genes come from ie it can be irish, german, scandanavian and so on. Likewise the African side. If you continue to split these genes and track their frequency you can pinpoint what village in ireland that particular mixed child Great great great grandfather came from which inevitaly ties him patrilinealy to that part of the world.

Catch my drift.
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by Emad(f): 5:44pm On Jun 24, 2008
morpheus24

i get ur drift totally, but then again i will repeat myself, we are talking about over 400 years of RANDOM mixage
the scientist can prove all sorts of things but there is still great Margin for Doubt

Tribes were divided by colonialism
For example teh Bantu tribe that stretches from Cameroon through Gabon, to Congo

I am sure if you take the genes from each chluster they will look alike by virtue of their origin, but how do you tell
that the particular person in question comes from Cameroon, Gabon or the congo part of the Bantu tribe?
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by morpheus24: 6:01pm On Jun 24, 2008
Emad:

morpheus24

i get your drift totally, but then again i will repeat myself, we are talking about over 400 years of RANDOM mixage
the scientist can prove all sorts of things but there is still great Margin for Doubt

Tribes were divided by colonialism
For example the Bantu tribe that stretches from Cameroon through Gabon, to Congo

I am sure if you take the genes from each chluster they will look alike by virtue of their origin, but how do you tell
that the particular person in question comes from Cameroon, Gabon or the congo part of the Bantu tribe?

The 400 years of mixing was not "random". Certain African populations for a certian period of time during slavrry did not move around plantatations though some were sold off but the majority lived for several generations in isolated areas in the US keeponig the genes intact for several generations.
Africans are genetically different from one another compared to the rest of the populations of theworld which is why the hypothesis of man originating from Africa is strongly held as true by scientist. The more the variance in a given area the older the people are.

Bantu is not a good term to describe West and Central Africa and is conjured name by european scientists trying to classify Africans from a linguistic point of view. If you were to test the genes of a camerounnian, Gabon or congo you would find similar strains of geneflow across the countries however the Y chromosone DNA( this is the gene that is past only from father to son and so on and this does not change regardless of mixture) which is how you will be able to tell that one persons forefather is Igbo compared to anyother tribe in Africa.

The poster exaggerates the point but he is not totally incorrect if he can provide proof.
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by Emad(f): 6:13pm On Jun 24, 2008
morpheus24

we can argue until tomorrow but i still donot Agree one bit with what the poster says
and definitely NOT 60% , not over 400 years of varying mixtures,
One thing about the salve trade tough is that the slaves taken off from the Ghana slave port for example were not
only of ghanian origin
they came from everywhere, because the Village chiefs sold of The thiefs, the prisoners of war which they had captured from
inter tribal wars etc, and when the slaves were taken from thana port they were put on the ship, and then taken to the Benin port and more slaves joined together
and then further westward and then shipped off finally to portugal

if a slave lady from Ghana ha a son with a portugese man, and this son later on married a liberian and then their son married a SouthAfrican,, and so on
if the person at the top of the slave chart was a lady who carries the XX ( if my bology is right )
how do you trace 400 years later where their great great great great grand daught is from ??
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by Emad(f): 6:17pm On Jun 24, 2008
a rough estimate can be made, may be we can say, one person must have come from teh western part of africa ( nigeria, ghana benin togo )
or from Nigeria as a whole ( if the estimates are as close to perfection as possible )
BUT NOT FROM an identified tribe like Mr poster is asserting
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by naijadiva2(f): 6:22pm On Jun 24, 2008
maybe he doesn't mean 100% igbo descents. maybe he was trying to say about 60% of AA have some traces of igbo blood, then maybe it would make sense because 60% is a pretty high percentage.
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by morpheus24: 6:42pm On Jun 24, 2008
Emad:

morpheus24

we can argue until tomorrow but i still donot Agree one bit with what the poster says
and definitely NOT 60% , not over 400 years of varying mixtures,
One thing about the salve trade tough is that the slaves taken off from the Ghana slave port for example were not
only of ghanian origin
they came from everywhere, because the Village chiefs sold of The thiefs, the prisoners of war which they had captured from
inter tribal wars etc, and when the slaves were taken from thana port they were put on the ship, and then taken to the Benin port and more slaves joined together
and then further westward and then shipped off finally to portugal

if a slave lady from Ghana ha a son with a portugese man, and this son later on married a liberian and then their son married a SouthAfrican,, and so on
if the person at the top of the slave chart was a lady who carries the XX ( if my bology is right )
how do you trace 400 years later where their great great great great grand daught is from ??

I am not arguing. i am stating proven facts. I already said the poster was exaggerating. It seems you are not reading my post carefully and probably don't have a full understanding of genetics to argue your point. You are baseing your arguement on the assumption that because many ethnic groups were taken from Africa we cannot trace the genealogy a certain group of them. Take Haiti for example. Most of the people on that island can trace their genetic ancestary to the Kingdom of Dahomey not Mozambique or senegal. how do you think they did that?. You are not taking into account populaton segregation factors into account.

The answer to your question concerning the ghanian mixed child would be they would be able to trace this mtna(mitrochondial DNA) to a specific cluster in African  eliminating possiblities of where his great great grand mother could have come from and eventually pinpointing an almost exact location of where his ancestors on his mothers side originate from regardless of the fact that he marries liberian and his son marries a south african. There would be frequencies of genetical markers that can trace origins.
Re: Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. by morpheus24: 6:44pm On Jun 24, 2008
Emad:

a rough estimate can be made, may be we can say, one person must have come from the western part of africa ( nigeria, ghana benin togo )
or from Nigeria as a whole ( if the estimates are as close to perfection as possible )
BUT NOT FROM an identified tribe like Mr poster is asserting
No not rough estimates. Exact estimates can be made. We can't say maybe. Yes Yes Yes we can say they come from specific ethnic group on Africa. The admixture youare thinking about to totally dispersse African Americans in terms of genetics is too short of a time span. Its only 400 years.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Babatunde Omidina Baba Suwe's Burial Photos And Video / Daniella Okeke Looks Effortlessly Stunning In New Photos / ~Breaking News: D'banj And Funke Akindele: Nigeria's Hottest Couple ~

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.