Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,795 members, 7,827,937 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award (5425 Views)

Agatu Massacre: Victims Accuse Buhari’s Govt Of Insensitivity - VANGUARD / Jonathan Wins African Leadership Magazine Man Of The Year Award / Benue Militant Who Submitted 84 Guns To The State Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Nobody: 12:39pm On Sep 20, 2012
For its exceptional performance in the Information Communications Technology (ICT) sector, Ekiti State Government has received the ICT State of the Year Award in the 2012 edition of the Nigerian Telecoms Award.

The award is principally premised on "the overwhelming, genuine, development oriented ICT projects on-going in Ekiti State", and according to the award organisers, the decision was an outcome of the assessment of a team of experts who assessed the efforts of the State alongside other States from August 2011 to date.

The honour was received on behalf of the state government by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Infrastructure and Public Utilities, Mr. Kayode Jegede, who stood in for Governor Kayode Fayemi at the event.

Congratulating the Government and the people of Ekiti State, the organisers of the award said they had observed with keen interest "the forward thinking and creative attitude with which the leadership of Ekiti State Government had embraced ICT".

They expressed confidence that the effort would have more impact on the future of the people of Ekiti than its present benefits.

Lauding the State's ICT Education programme, the organisers said Ekiti State is the only State in Nigeria to procure and distribute the first-ever Samsung solar-powered laptops to teachers and students with the vision of distributing 100,000 laptops to students by 2014. The state has already distributed 33,000 laptop computers to students in the first phase of the scheme.

The gesture was aimed at exposing Ekiti students to the best e-teaching and learning facilities in the world, and to make them compete favourably with their colleagues anywhere else.

Further to the distribution of the laptops, the State Government also signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Samsung to connect Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti and the State College of Education, Ikere Ekiti to the on-going wireless community project as hundreds of computers have been procured ahead of their connection; even as Samsung is set to establish a service centre in the State.

In a bid to ensure citizens participation through e-governance, the State Government also developed a web 3.0 digital media platform with 8 digital channels through which citizens can access documents, information, comment and get immediate feedbacks on issues of governance in the state.

The State digital media platform, according to a world web ranking agency, alexa.com, is the best Nigerian State Government website in world ranking, followed by Lagos State.

Aside establishing an ICT data centre, the Dr. Fayemi-led administration introduced the e-payment system, which has not only helped in plugging loopholes in the finances of the State government, but has also boosted the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of the State from N109 million to over N600 million since the introduction of the system.

The e-payment system was extended to workers as the biometric payroll system has changed the face of salary payment from the traditional means of payment to electronic means. This has helped to identify "ghost workers" and those who collect salaries from more than one point.

The e-pay system is now being introduced in the Social Security Scheme of the state government where elderly citizens aged 65 years and above receive monthly stipend of N5,000.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201209200260.html

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Nobody: 1:05pm On Sep 20, 2012
Hehehe. . .what happens to Godswill Akpabio's gigantic e-Library in Akwa-Ibom state?

Hmm.. Governors should emulate this. Concentrate on building "people" not houses that will eventually be destroyed by the people they fail to develop.

Congratulations!! My Ekiti kete peeps!! am proud of y'all.

2 Likes

Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by EkoAtlantic: 1:52pm On Sep 20, 2012
acidosis™:
Hehehe. . . what happens to Godswill Akpabio's gigantic e-Library in Akwa-Ibom state?

Hmm.. Governors should emulate this. Concentrate on building "people" not houses that will eventually be destroyed by the people they fail to develop.

Building a Gigantic e-library might not just be the only factor this organization considered before selecting Ekiti.
Try and read through lines to get details.
From the post:
Aside establishing an ICT data centre, the Dr. Fayemi-led administration introduced the e-payment system, which has not only helped in plugging loopholes in the finances of the State government, but has also boosted the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of the State from N109 million to over N600 million since the introduction of the system.
The result of the development on ICT has already been seen in Ekiti
This alone has put Ekiti ahead of other states.

@post good one from Fayemi, also governor Akpabio of Akwa Ibom for making the development of ICT their priority in their respective states

2 Likes

Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by SkyBlue1: 1:57pm On Sep 20, 2012
acidosis™:
Hehehe. . .what happens to Godswill Akpabio's gigantic e-Library in Akwa-Ibom state?

Profound and true
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Gbawe: 2:10pm On Sep 20, 2012
Whew !!! Thank god I did not bring this article here. Otherwise all we will hear is "ACN propaganda" while those claiming to want good governance totally ignore the message. Over to the forum. Another example of Tinubu and the ACN "failing".
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Gbawe: 2:12pm On Sep 20, 2012
Sky Blue:

Profound and true

Nuff respect for your perspective. I must admit I admire you neutrality and ability to focus singularly on good Governance. Your conduct here, on many threads, has been exemplary of late.

@topic. Well done to Ekiti State. The Governor is a good man who is working hard to improve the States.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 20, 2012
ICT state blah blah blah

FRAUD!!!
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Afam4eva(m): 2:25pm On Sep 20, 2012

The State digital media platform, according to a world web ranking agency, alexa.com, is the best Nigerian State Government website in world ranking, followed by Lagos State.
Biko, when did Alexa start ranking the best websites in the world. Alexa is strictly a web traffic aggregator. These people should stop passing false information. I guess they meant traffic.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by gen2briz(m): 2:27pm On Sep 20, 2012
Thank God fayemi didnt buy the award with state fund unlike mimi......
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Nobody: 2:29pm On Sep 20, 2012
ju$twise:
ICT state blah blah blah
FRAUD!!!

afam4eva:
Biko, when did Alexa start ranking the best websites in the world. Alexa is strictly a web traffic aggregator. These people should stop passing false information.

Haters. grin
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Demdem(m): 2:30pm On Sep 20, 2012
kudos to ekiti.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by femiseun1: 2:30pm On Sep 20, 2012
A state where u can hardly find teller machines at the bank and computers at the local govt offices is winning ICT state govt of the year grin. Naija we don start again

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by logica(m): 2:31pm On Sep 20, 2012
afam4eva:
Biko, when did Alexa start ranking the best websites in the world. Alexa is strictly a web traffic aggregator. These people should stop passing false information. I guess they meant traffic.
Uh oh. What happened to the expected "what does Ekiti know about I.T"? All you came in here to do was talk about Alexa?
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Afam4eva(m): 2:32pm On Sep 20, 2012
I just checked the the Alexa ranking for state government websites and Ekiti actually comes high and above every state in Nigeria. That shows that when it comes to IT, Ekiti know what they're doing.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Nobody: 2:33pm On Sep 20, 2012
afam4eva: I just checked the the Alexa ranking for state government websites and Ekiti actually comes high and above every state in Nigeria. That shows that when it comes to IT, Ekiti know what they're doing.

So, why did you make your initial statement. Maybe it's a reflex thing. Criticize first then look for the facts.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Afam4eva(m): 2:33pm On Sep 20, 2012
logica: Uh oh. What happened to the expected "what does Ekiti know about I.T"? All you came in here to do was talk about Alexa?
I can't remember ever making a statement remotely similar to the bolded.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Afam4eva(m): 2:34pm On Sep 20, 2012
Aigbofa:

So, why did you make your initial statement.
What i said is that Alexa does not have a rank for the best websites rather they have a rank for the website with the most traffic.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Nobody: 2:34pm On Sep 20, 2012
Eko Atlantic:

Building a Gigantic e-library might not just be the only factor this organization considered before selecting Ekiti.

Sir I read that twice before I made the comment. Did you read the part on laptop distributions?
And who told you, Akwa-Ibom e-library is also not generating some revenue to the state?
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Nobody: 2:34pm On Sep 20, 2012
Impressive!

I guess that's why my doozy Mynd_44 is always online... grin
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by taharqa: 2:34pm On Sep 20, 2012
Very very Good....d real effects of this far-sighted move will be felt even more years from now
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 20, 2012
femi_seun: A state where u can hardly find teller machines at the bank and computers at the local govt offices is winning ICT state govt of the year grin. Naija we don start again
so what has state govt. got to do with Banks teller??

youre a strange man.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Afam4eva(m): 2:37pm On Sep 20, 2012
For those of you that are wondering why Akwa Ibom with the E-LIbrary did not win this award. You have to understand that this award is for the state that is IT compliant. Which means this state uses IT in the day to day running of the state affairs. For instance, if you want to pay any fee to Ekiti, you can pay it online etc. It's not just about having an E-Library that i'm not sure is fully functional yet.

Also note that this award is for Ekiti Government and not for Ekiti state. Note the difference. If it was for states, then Lagos could easily have one this award.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 20, 2012
femi_seun: A state where u can hardly find teller machines at the bank and computers at the local govt offices is winning ICT state govt of the year grin. Naija we don start again
Oga,try get your facts right. One of my friend's sister got a laptop free of charge in Ekiti. Pls find out. I dont know of anything exept that there is awuf laptop for goverment schl students.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Ejine(m): 2:41pm On Sep 20, 2012
The "40 Laptop team" should be very afraid ooo, cuz the "33,000 Laptops of Ekiti" are coming to getcha!!! grin grin grin
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by PaulJohn1: 2:44pm On Sep 20, 2012
afam4eva: I just checked the the Alexa ranking for state government websites and Ekiti actually comes high and above every state in Nigeria. That shows that when it comes to IT, Ekiti know what they're doing.
Afam why are you contradicting your words? undecided
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Afam4eva(m): 2:45pm On Sep 20, 2012
Paul John:
Afam why are contradicting your words? undecided
Read my words and understand them.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Ejine(m): 2:47pm On Sep 20, 2012
Eko Atlantic:

From the post:

The result of the development on ICT has already been seen in Ekiti
This alone has put Ekiti ahead of other states.

@post good one from Fayemi, also governor Akpabio of Akwa Ibom for making the development of ICT their priority in their respective states

I think the person who needs to "read between the lines" is actually you, cuz the point Acidosis was trying to make is that it is more worthwhile building up the people (as is the case in Ekiti) than just erecting barren structures (as is the case in Akwa Ibom).
So, what you just did there is what we call "preaching to the choir". He's on your side.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by SkyBlue1: 2:47pm On Sep 20, 2012
afam4eva: For those of you that are wondering why Akwa Ibom with the E-LIbrary did not win this award. You have to understand that this award is for the state that is IT compliant. Which means this state uses IT in the day to day running of the state affairs. For instance, if you want to pay any fee to Ekiti, you can pay it online etc. It's not just about having an E-Library that i'm not sure is fully functional yet.

Also note that this award is for Ekiti Government and not for Ekiti state. Note the difference. If it was for states, then Lagos could easily have one this award.

Probably, and such should be commended. The way government runs its business needs to be updated, as opposed to the cliched and poignant images that comes to mind when one goes to a ministry (dark buildings, elevator is not working, rude secretary chewing gum and ignoring you, archaic practises, ten people doing one man's job, etc)

But leave Akwa Ibom E-library matter if you are not sure though, and do some research. That is an impressive undertaking for Nigerian standard, and was well executed. And I believe it is in use now. One of the more impressive civil structures that add value which I have been aware of of late.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by ijigbamigb(m): 2:53pm On Sep 20, 2012
afam4eva: For those of you that are wondering why Akwa Ibom with the E-LIbrary did not win this award. You have to understand that this award is for the state that is IT compliant. Which means this state uses IT in the day to day running of the state affairs. For instance, if you want to pay any fee to Ekiti, you can pay it online etc. It's not just about having an E-Library that i'm not sure is fully functional yet.

U are damn right here. After spending some months in the state within the last 12 months, I can say that Gov. Fayemi is a right thinking man. Everything about the state civil service, the state university is ICT-driven (biometric re-registration of the civil servants).

The state is so poor yet the govt is working hard in it quest to renew the state capital, upgrade their schools, and invest immensely in agriculture (especially yam processing).

The guy dey try.
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Ejine(m): 2:56pm On Sep 20, 2012
Just found out. The award is actually for the full usage of IT by the Government of Ekiti, and not the State itself. But that doesn't mean it isn't still a good thing.

The thing I love most about this is that it would surely limit the ghost workers in the civil service.
Very nice development.

Hearty Congratulations cool
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by Ufeolorun(m): 3:04pm On Sep 20, 2012
Am trying to see the distinction between the state and the state government.The government sets direction for the whole state, Ekiti state,Ekiti people got an award, final!!!
Re: Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award by EkoAtlantic: 3:05pm On Sep 20, 2012
acidosis™:

Sir I read that twice before I made the comment. Did you read the part on laptop distributions?
And who told you, Akwa-Ibom e-library is also not generating some revenue to the state?

I never said "Akwa-Ibom library isn't generating revenue for the state".

Wasn't it just last month that the akwa-Ibom library commissioned?
Don't forget that Fashola of Lagos also commissioned an e-library after akpabios's
What I'm saying is that this organization might not just base their assessment on e-library, but other ICT development in the state.
Good that you even noted where it was stated that laptop was shared, these are other types of ICT development that I'm talking about.

Also, I don't know how much the akwa-Ibom's newly built e-library would have generated for the state that will be as much as this
but has also boosted the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of the State from N109 million to over N600 million since the introduction of the system.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Yoruba Will Never Support Goodluck Jonathan In 2015 / Gov Fashola Accused Of Impregnating A Lagos State Govt Staff / Is It True That Huge Gas Deposit And Some Crude Discovered In NSUKKA?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.