Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Mikel ClosesTwitter Account After Juve Error Abuse - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel ClosesTwitter Account After Juve Error Abuse (877 Views)

El-rufai, Mikel, Siasia,Ighalo Win At Bet9ja Pitch Awards / #UCLfinal: 5 Reasons Why Juve Will Shock Barca Tomorrow! / Mikel Obi Deletes Twitter Account After Racial Abuse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Mikel ClosesTwitter Account After Juve Error Abuse by Nobody: 7:42pm On Sep 20, 2012

Gone: John Obi Mikel has quit Twitter

Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel has quit Twitter after racist messages and other abuse was sent to him on the social network.

The club initially moved to deny he had terminated his account on the basis of receiving any communications but later condemned 'unacceptable' Tweets and said the police had been informed.

'Not true Mikel quit Twitter due to messages received. He'd wanted to leave for a while & deleted his account today without looking at it,' Chelsea wrote on their official club Twitter account.

They added: 'Abuse on social networks is abhorrent. Racist tweets towards Mikel are totally unacceptable. Police informed. #CFC supports strongest action.'

The Nigerian had been bombarded with these vulgar messages after making a mistake which contributed to Chelsea's downfall against Juventus in the Champions League on Wednesday.

Chelsea were leading 2-1 when Mikel's sloppy pass returned the ball to the Italians, who went on to score through Fabio Quagliarella and salvage a point.

The 25-year-old is a player who has long split Chelsea fans' opinion, with many lauding him for his defensive graft while others bemoan his lack of creativity.

On this occasion the abuse went far beyond general football complaints.

A disappointed Mikel had apologised for his mistake after the match.

'If I want to make up an excuse, I can,' he said. 'But, for me, I gave the ball away. I put my hands up, we move on.

'I'm sorry about the mistake, but there are no excuses.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2206304/John-Obi-Mikel-quits-Twitter-Juventus-error-abuse.html?ITO=1490

1 Like

Re: Mikel ClosesTwitter Account After Juve Error Abuse by Chelseadiehard: 8:03pm On Sep 20, 2012
lol!.....he got twitter abuses such as " how on earth do u get into Chelsea first 11 week in week out"? ..."Mikel u are a dis****e to Chelsea Fc".."Mikel u are sh*t and scumbag"..."Mikel leave Chelsea cos i fu****g hate u"...these were the kind of abuses he got b4 he deleted his account.....Lucho Gonzalez's dad died the day his club played UEFA CL days ago and he didn't want his fellow players to know and yet he scored.....thats not an excuse
Re: Mikel ClosesTwitter Account After Juve Error Abuse by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 20, 2012
Just one night of an inevitable error? The guy has served Chelsea FC. Na, even wen his Father was kidnapped, he kept playing... Smh!
Re: Mikel ClosesTwitter Account After Juve Error Abuse by semid4lyfe(m): 10:51am On Sep 21, 2012

(1)

Neymar With His Son / Addidas! Check Out Germany's World Cup Kit And Compare It To Nigeria :( / French Weather Girl To Present Forecast Naked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.