Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,187 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

Is There Any Difference Between Senate And House Of Representatives - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is There Any Difference Between Senate And House Of Representatives (23347 Views)

Senate And Buhari's Body Language - Magnus Oladesu (Vanguard) / Yakubu Dogara Is Speaker Of 8th House Of Representatives / What's The Difference Between The Senate And House Of Representative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Difference Between Senate And House Of Representatives by ambrosini593(m): 8:36am On Sep 21, 2012
Is there any difference between the lower house and the upper house. Is this not a waste of government funds on the lawmakers. In most cases we see both houses deliberating on the same issue. Why not scrap one and strengthens the other one or merge them together. To me I see both as the same. Apart from that I have not seen or heard any significant thing they have done this year. All we hear is grammar, argument and fight. Are this like lawmakers contributing meaningful to the developing of this country? Or they are just fighting for their salaries and wages. I put it to you, is there any difference between both houses?
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Senate And House Of Representatives by naptu2: 9:10am On Sep 21, 2012
The difference is in terms of composition. Each state has an equal number of senators (I believe it's 3 per state), while the composition of the House of Representatives is determined by each states population size (the more populous a state is, the more representatives it has).

Some also say that the bi-cameral nature of the National Assembly ensures that there's sufficient checks and balance and helps to prevent dictatorship.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Senate And House Of Representatives by Nobody: 9:10am On Sep 21, 2012
The Nigerian government is allegedly modeled after that of the United States. The purpose of the House of Senate and the House of Representatives is to give states balanced representation. The number of representatives a state gets is supposed to reflect the state's population. California is a large, populous state, so it has 53 representatives I believe. Delaware, a small state, has a sole representative. In terms of senators, each state is alloted two senators. As you can see, larger states get more representation via the House of Representatives, where as Delaware and other smaller states get most of its representation via its two senators. Hence, they are not the same. This is how it works in the US anyway.

In Nigeria, where the structure is supposed to mimic that of the US, there are three senators for every state. There are 435 representatives in the US, and 360 in Nigeria. When I have time, I'll do a population check on all the states, but I wonder if states like Ebonyi (six representatives), Jigawa (11 representatives), and some others need so many representatives. In fact, no need to wonder. We don't need that many representatives. Delaware has a population under 1 million and has a sole represenative. Ebonyi's population can't be up to 2-2.5 million, yet there are six representatives lol. We haven't even factored in our ministers and the rest. Our government is too big, simple.

You won't hear or see any good or significance coming from our senators and representatives. They're not there to do good. They're there to chop. Not all of them, but too many.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Difference Between Senate And House Of Representatives by BeraBera(f): 9:36am On Sep 21, 2012
My State has 3 senators. Some Bills receive approval from the house of reps but get thrown out at the senate, and vice versa. This shows that one of the differences is the opinions of the masses being represented by the senators/house of reps members.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Senate And House Of Representatives by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 21, 2012
Yep, that's true.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Senate And House Of Representatives by reedonne: 6:27pm On Aug 22, 2014
BeraBera: My State has 3 senators. Some Bills receive approval from the house of reps but get thrown out at the senate, and vice versa. This shows that one of the differences is the opinions of the masses being represented by the senators/house of reps members.
Lol.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between Senate And House Of Representatives by reedonne: 6:36pm On Aug 22, 2014
The purpose of the senate is to ensure that large states doesnt silent small states due to high number of reps.
The house of senate is create to represent the voice of state goverments. In many country the senators are appoint by there state and can remove them anytime. This was also the case in the US before an ammendment was passed to let the people elect their senator.
According to wikipedia, after the 17th ammendment, state goverment begin to lose power to the federal goverment because their weapon which is a senate that dance to their tune have been scrapped.
If we make senate, the rep of state goverments instead of people, it will increase the power of the state goverment and enhance their political independency.

(1) (Reply)

Senator Hope Uzodinma, 34 State Chairmen Of Sheriff's Faction Of PDP Join APC / Kadaria Ahmed: "Abdulaziz Yari Is A Hopeless Governor" / Ministerial Screening: APC, PDP Senators Clash Over Schedule Of Duty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.