Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Spaghetti Surprise - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Spaghetti Surprise (3315 Views)

Checkout A Male Student's Fried Spaghetti / Spaghetti Or Macaroni: Which Do You Prefer? / Freemason Symbol On Dangote Spaghetti Wrapper? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spaghetti Surprise by toria12(f): 1:11pm On Sep 23, 2012
Spaghetti Surprise

aise your hand if you think that cooking spaghetti and eating it with the good old beef/chicken stew is oh-so-boring. I think so too. That's why I bring to you the Spaghetti Surprise recipe.

This recipe is prepared with the ingredients you see in Nigerian markets and in food stores all over the world. There's even a bag of frozen vegetables (shown in the video) that I use to prepare this recipe in no time. So there is no reason why you should not prepare this recipe today, right now. Go ahead, give it a try and you will be deliciously surprised.

How did I come up with the name Spaghetti Surprise? It's a long story, but to cut it short: One day, I was out of most food ingredients and I was wondering what to cook. I brought out all the fresh ingredients in my fridge and thought I would make something with Spaghetti. Hubby asked me what I finally decided to cook and I said, "I'm not sure, some concoction of sorts but I assure you, it's edible". He said, "Oh, it's a surprise then".

And indeed we were pleasantly surprised when the meal was done so we named it Spaghetti Surprise. lol

Ingredients for Spaghetti Surprise

Spaghetti: The quantity you can wrap between your thumb and index finger.

Beef: 5-6 normal cuts

Vegetables: 500g

Cabbage

Green Pepper

Carrots

Green peas

Green beans

Tomato Stew: 600 mls or 20 fl. oz.

Pepper and salt (to taste)

Onions: 1 medium bulb

Seasoning – 2-3 stock cubes cubes & Thyme (1 teaspoon)

Before you cook the Nigerian Spaghetti Surprise

Make some Tomato Stew if you do not have any.

Break the spaghetti into short pieces. I usually break one strand of spaghetti into three pieces. Please if you have any Italian friends, don't let them see you breaking up spaghetti! LOL

Cut the beef into small pieces. It is best to buy the part of beef that has streaks of fat in it. This greatly improves the taste of this recipe.

Wash and cut the cabbage, green pepper and green beans into small pieces. Also wash, scrape and cut the carrots into tiny pieces. Cut the onions into small pieces and remove the green peas from the pods. If you will use tinned green peas, simply drain the preservation water and rinse with some fresh water.

Cooking Directions

Cook the beef with the onions, thyme and stock cubes (Maggi or Knorr).

While the meat is cooking, start cooking the spaghetti in a generous amount of water.

When the beef is done, add the Tomato Stew. Add the vegetables, salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 5 minutes.

When the spaghetti is done to your personal preference, drain the water and pour the mixture of beef stock and tomato stew you prepared earlier into the pot of spaghetti. Stir well, cover and leave to stand for about 5 minutes.

The Spaghetti Surprise is ready to be served.

The Spaghetti Surprise is perfect when eaten on its own but feel free to eat this dish with Fried Plantain.

Tips for Cooking Spaghetti

Spaghetti should be cooked with a very big pot. That is to say, the pot should contain the spaghetti and still have plenty of unused volume.

Spaghetti should also be cooked in plenty of water. The quantity of water should be at least double the quantity of the spaghetti.

To cook spaghetti, first of all, boil water; add a few spoons of vegetable oil to the boiling water and add the spaghetti. Stir the contents very well and cover the pot. With some spaghetti, you need to stir till the water starts to boil again before covering the pot.

The large amount of water, the boiling water and the vegetable oil altogether prevent the spaghetti strands from sticking together while cooking.

Re: Spaghetti Surprise by Nellyd(f): 10:01am On Sep 26, 2012
Toria,this is soooo good and i'm sooo loving it. That's a very good one. More of it pls.
Re: Spaghetti Surprise by tpia5: 6:45pm On May 08, 2013

1 Like

Re: Spaghetti Surprise by Tenderspot(f): 3:24am On May 09, 2013
Yummmmmy cheesy
Re: Spaghetti Surprise by VANENON(f): 2:57pm On Mar 07, 2017
Nice one. I will try it. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Peanut Burger Snack / 2 Korean Sisters Demolish Nigerian Point & Kill Peppersoup Plus Jollof & Cowleg! / The Wonders Of Bitterleave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.