Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? (1799 Views)

What Body Does Jesus Have In Heaven? / Why Doesnt Paul Quote Jesus? Have Been Thinking! / Could Jesus Have Been A Black Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:54am On Sep 24, 2012
Question:

"Was Jesus Christ married? Did Jesus have a wife?"

Answer:

The recent discovery and translation of the fourth-century "Jesus' wife papyrus" has reopened the discussion as to whether Jesus had a wife / was married. The "Jesus' wife papyus" says, "Jesus said to them, 'My wife ...'" This discovery is interesting in that it is the first Gnostic writing to explicitly state that Jesus had a wife. While a couple of the Gnostic gospels mention Jesus having a close relationship with Mary Magdalene, none of them specifically state that Jesus was married to her or to anyone else. Ultimately, it does not matter what the "Jesus' wife papyrus" or Gnostic gospels say. They have no authority. They have all been proven to be forgeries invented to create a Gnostic view of Jesus.

If Jesus had been married, the Bible would have told us so, or there would be some unambiguous statement to that fact. Scripture would not be completely silent on such an important issue. The Bible mentions Jesus’ mother, adoptive father, half-brothers, and half-sisters. Why would it neglect to mention the fact that Jesus had a wife? Those who believe/teach that Jesus was married are doing so in an attempt to “humanize” Him, to make Him more ordinary, more like everyone else. People simply do not want to believe that Jesus was God in the flesh (John 1:1, 14; 10:30). So, they invent and believe myths about Jesus being married, having children, and being an ordinary human being.

A secondary question would be, “Could Jesus Christ have been married?” There is nothing sinful about being married. There is nothing sinful about having sexual relations in marriage. So, yes, Jesus could have been married and still be the sinless Lamb of God and Savior of the world. At the same time, there is no biblical reason for Jesus to marry. That is not the point in this debate. Those who believe Jesus was married do not believe that He was sinless, or that He was the Messiah. Getting married and having children is not why God sent Jesus. Mark 10:45 tells us why Jesus came, “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

http://www.gotquestions.org/was-Jesus-married.html
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by Enigma(m): 12:00pm On Sep 24, 2012
Ola bros

The "discovery" is already being rubbished as fake by other scholars.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/21/gospel-jesus-wife-forgery?newsfeed=true

A New Testament scholar claims to have found evidence suggesting that the Gospel of Jesus's Wife is a modern forgery.

Professor Francis Watson, of Durham University, says the papyrus fragment, which caused a worldwide sensation when it appeared earlier this week because it appeared to refer to Jesus's wife, is a patchwork of texts from the genuine Coptic-language Gospel of Thomas, which have been copied and reassembled out of order to make a suggestive new whole. . . .

"I think it is more or less indisputable that I have shown how the thing was composed," he said. "I would be very surprised if it were not a modern forgery, although it is possible that it was composed in this way in the fourth century."

His paper claims the work was assembled by someone who was not a native speaker of Coptic, which is a polite way of saying that it is modern.

etc etc etc

Also http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2207038/British-scholar-says-papyrus-claiming-Jesus-married-fake.html

A British scholar has called the ancient papyrus claiming that Jesus had a wife a 'fake'.

New Testament scholar Professor Francis Watson of Durham University says the fragment, which caused an international sensation this week, is a collage of texts from the Gospel of Thomas, copied and reassembled out of order.

etc etc etc

cool
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by CrazyMan(m): 12:07pm On Sep 24, 2012
I love my religion (Christianity) if it were islam this kind of accusation came up, they would have started rioting and killing innocent people.

But as the meaningless debate came up in christianity, we united as one...and with the help of the holy ghost (wisdom and insight), we debunked it... Glory be to God cool .

2 Likes

Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by Enigma(m): 12:23pm On Sep 24, 2012
Addendum: here is the pdf of Professor Watson's article. Quite interesting, I think.

http://markgoodacre.org/Watson.pdf

Six of the eight incomplete lines of GJW recto are so closely related to the Coptic GTh,
especially to Sayings 101 and 114, as to make dependence virtually certain. A further line is derived
from Matthew; just one is left unaccounted for. The author has used a “collage” or “patchwork”
compositional technique, and this level of dependence on extant pieces of Coptic text is more plausibly
attributed to a modern author, with limited facility in Coptic, than to an ancient one. Indeed, the GJW
fragment may be designedly incomplete, its lacunae built into it from the outset. It does not seem
possible to fill these lacunae with GTh material contiguous to the fragments cited. The impression of
modernity is reinforced by the case in line 1 of dependence on the line-division of the one surviving
Coptic manuscript, easily accessible in modern printed editions. Unless this impression of modernity is
countered by further investigations and fresh considerations, it seems unlikely that GJW will establish
itself as a “genuine” product of early gospel writing.

cool
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:38pm On Sep 24, 2012
Enigma: Ola bros

The "discovery" is already being rubbished as fake by other scholars.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/21/gospel-jesus-wife-forgery?newsfeed=true

Also http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2207038/British-scholar-says-papyrus-claiming-Jesus-married-fake.html

cool

My broda how you dey?

AiG also elaborated on the forgery in their feedback in the link below. Here is an extract:

A Response to the Claim Made in a Supposed Fourth-century Papyrus Fragment

Earlier this week, headlines announced that a new discovery shows Jesus was married, and we have received inquiries regarding this subject. These bold claims are based on the discovery of a papyrus fragment written in an ancient Egyptian language known as Coptic.1 Is there any basis for such a claim, and would it even matter if Jesus was married?

Dr. Karen King holds the fragment, showing its small size. Without more of the context from the original document, it is highly unlikely that one can properly understand the initial message.2
Dr. Karen L. King, a historian from Harvard Divinity School and member of the Jesus Seminar,3 recently had the opportunity to examine the smaller-than-business-card-sized fragment when an unnamed private collector asked her to study it to determine its authenticity. At this point, very little is known about the collector and the provenance of the artifact, other than the claim that the owner acquired the piece from a German owner in 1997.

In a draft of her upcoming paper on the subject in the Harvard Theological Review, King, for the purposes of reference, calls the fragment The Gospel of Jesus’s Wife, but what does the fragment state that would merit such a title? According to King, the mere eight partial lines of text from the front of the piece are translated as (brackets indicate where the text cuts off):

1.“not [to] me. My mother gave to me li[fe . . .”
2.The disciples said to Jesus, “. . . [
3.deny. Mary is worthy of it [ (or this could also be “Mary is n[ot] worthy of it.”)
4.. . .” Jesus said to them, “my wife . . . [
5.. . . she will be able to be my disciple . . . [
6.Let wicked people swell up . . . [
7.As for me, I dwell with her in order to . . . [
8.an image [

1.my moth[er
2.three [
3.. . . [
4.forth which . . . [
5.(illegible ink traces)
Without the surrounding context or any other copies of this document, it is practically impossible to determine what this writing is really about. Of course, the fourth line of the front side is what triggered the headlines. According to this Coptic fragment, Jesus was apparently telling His disciples something about His wife.

Close up shot of the 4 cm x 8 cm fragment. Eight lines of text are visible on the front (pictured), while only a few words can be translated from the back side.
The text on the back of the fragment was translated as:

You can read the rest of the response here:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2012/09/21/feedback-was-jesus-married

Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by ijawkid(m): 12:44pm On Sep 24, 2012
I knew it was a hogwash from the onset...

If paul likely never got married,how could our Lord get married....His will was to do all his DAD asked him to do...marraige was never part of it....

1 Like

Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by Enigma(m): 6:19pm On Sep 24, 2012
Just to add link for a second (shorter) pdf.

http://markgoodacre.org/Watson2.pdf

cool
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by Ptolomeus(m): 9:31pm On Sep 24, 2012
Why Jesus could not be a woman? ... A wife?
Why Jesus could not have been a normal man?
I marvel who intend to present an image of Jesus, which is practically homosexua1, always surrounded by men ....
I do not believe that Jesus ...
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by Enigma(m): 9:43am On Sep 26, 2012
I'd like to add link below as well as a sort of bookark. smiley

http://evangelicaltextualcriticism..co.uk/

cool
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:59pm On Jul 03, 2014
CrazyMan:

I love my religion (Christianity) if it were islam this kind of accusation came up, they would have started rioting and killing innocent people.

But as the meaningless debate came up in christianity, we united as one...and with the help of the holy ghost (wisdom and insight), we debunked it... Glory be to God cool .

Hallelujah! cheesy
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:43pm On Feb 22, 2017
ijawkid:

I knew it was a hogwash from the onset...

If paul likely never got married,how could our Lord get married....His will was to do all his DAD asked him to do...marraige was never part of it....

Good observance. wink
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:46pm On Feb 22, 2017
Was Jesus Christ married? Did Jesus have a wife? Was Jesus married to Mary Magdalene? Is there any reason why Jesus could not have been married?
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by Nobody: 2:32am On Feb 23, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
Was Jesus Christ married? Did Jesus have a wife? Was Jesus married to Mary Magdalene? Is there any reason why Jesus could not have been married?
There is a good reason.

People would erect images of his wife and children and worship them
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:29am On Feb 23, 2017
Muafrika2:

There is a good reason.

People would erect images of his wife and children and worship them

Good point. Could that be the only reason why He chose not to marry?
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by Nobody: 3:36am On Feb 23, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Good point. Could that be the only reason why He chose not to marry?
He was God. Marriage is a human endeavour that doesn't exist in heaven. No use
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:06am On Feb 23, 2017
Muafrika2:

He was God. Marriage is a human endeavour that doesn't exist in heaven. No use

Is Jesus not married to the Church?
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by Nobody: 4:11am On Feb 23, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Is Jesus not married to the Church?

Not yet undecided

And for the most part, the church is busy prostituting itself.
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:16am On Feb 23, 2017
Muafrika2:

Not yet undecided

And for the most part, the church is busy prostituting itself.

If you say not yet when then do you think the marriage between Christ and the Bride will happen? undecided
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by Nobody: 4:25am On Feb 23, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

If you say not yet when then do you think the marriage between Christ and the Bride will happen? undecided
When he comes back. On his second coming, when the powers that cause men to sin shall be bound.
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:44am On Feb 23, 2017
Muafrika2:

When he comes back. On his second coming, when the powers that cause men to sin shall be bound.

How about the marriage supper of the Lamb where and when will that take place? undecided
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by Nobody: 11:32am On Feb 23, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

How about the marriage supper of the Lamb where and when will that take place? undecided
Same thing
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:54am On Mar 27, 2017
Muafrika2:

Same thing

You are not making sense here. undecided
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by Nobody: 11:58am On Mar 27, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

You are not making sense here. undecided

I answered according to the measure of sense in your post angry
Re: Was Jesus Married, Did Jesus Have A Wife? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:07pm On Mar 27, 2017
Muafrika2:

I answered according to the measure of sense in your post angry

You could have asked for clarification.

(1) (Reply)

A Question (or 2) For The Atheists / Was Jesus Referring To Islam? / Traditional Religious Buildings Of Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.