Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,062 members, 7,828,744 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO (5928 Views)

Imagine If Nigeria's Past Heroes Were Instagram Users... Lmao See For Yaself / Nigerian Minister Secretly Sells Off National Theatre To UAE Company? / Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by allahisevil: 8:55am On Sep 25, 2012

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/35599/2012/09/25/national_theatre_spend_n22m_typewriters.html

In the 21st century when most of the world’s typewriter manufacturing companies have long closed shops, the National Theatre is spending a whopping sum of N22.8 million to purchase the few remaining ones.

Demand for the machines has sunk in the last 10 years as consumers switch to computers.

LEADERSHIP checks showed that typewriters are at the end of their line as most of the world’s typewriter manufacturers have closed down their plants or converted to other lines of productions.

The last standing typewriter factory in the world, Godrej and Boyce, is closing its plant in Mumbai, India. What remains are just several hundred typewriters, most of which are Arabic language models.

Although typewriters became obsolete years ago in the west, they were still common in India - until recently, reported the Daily Mail.

Typewriter sales have plummeted in the past several years: the company sold fewer than 800 machines in 2010, down from the 50,000 it produced every year in the 1990s.

“From the early 2000s onwards, computers started dominating. All the manufacturers of office typewriters stopped production, except us,” general manager Millind Dukle told the Business Standard. “We are not getting many orders now. But this might be the last chance for typewriter lovers. Now, our primary market is among the defence agencies, courts and government offices.”

Another one of Godrej and Boyce’s typewriter plants in Shirwal was shut down recently and is now used as a refrigerator manufacturing unit.

In the face of this development, the National Theatre provided for N22.8 million in its 2012 budget for the purchase of typewriters.

The item, which comes under the heading “Purchase of fixed assets – general” has other items as purchase of office furniture and fittings, purchase of photocopying machines, purchase of fire-fighting equipment as well as purchase of recreational facilities.

Kabir Yusuf, general manager, National Theatre, when asked about the item exclaimed, “Who uses typewriters these days?” He however said the money was for writing equipment.

When asked to shed more light on what he meant, he said the sub-head typewriter is the budget template under which there are other items, which he would not mention.

2 Likes

Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by acidtalk: 9:31am On Sep 25, 2012
Please Tell me this is a Big JOKE.

The real occupants of Kuje and Kirikiri prisons are roaming freely on the streetbeing chauffer Driven and in cold offices while people of lesser crimes are the ones there.

2 Likes

Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Demdem(m): 9:32am On Sep 25, 2012
Interesting !!!!
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by taharqa: 9:34am On Sep 25, 2012
Hahahahehehehe.....
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Foxybone(m): 9:35am On Sep 25, 2012
I can see our money is being invested well.... Who says it is our money self... It is the money of the Niger-Deltans... Such unrewarding project...

HAve you ever seen somewone walking up and down the street looking for a place to type his name on his paper ID card, when plastic ID cards is now the order of the day.... Mtccchhhwwww angry angry angry
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Callotti: 9:35am On Sep 25, 2012
In this age of Ipads and Nexxxxxus notebooks? grin
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Nobody: 9:35am On Sep 25, 2012
It's a good one, that at least shows the level they are.

3 Likes

Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Freiburger(m): 9:37am On Sep 25, 2012
22m is not that much for writings materials if only they will do their best and get the right and working ones. We 're taking about a national theatre here.
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by megxo(m): 9:40am On Sep 25, 2012
NIGERIA>>>>>1WORD = CONFUSED cheesy
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by onlineadejoh(m): 9:43am On Sep 25, 2012
Somebody pls tell them I've one at home which I can sell for the if they are ready to pay good money out of this fat budget grin grin grin Typewriter in 2012! Naija, I hail o!
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 25, 2012
allahisevil:

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/35599/2012/09/25/national_theatre_spend_n22m_typewriters.html

In the 21st century when most of the world’s typewriter manufacturing companies have long closed shops, the National Theatre is spending a whopping sum of N22.8 million to purchase the few remaining ones.

Demand for the machines has sunk in the last 10 years as consumers switch to computers.

LEADERSHIP checks showed that typewriters are at the end of their line as most of the world’s typewriter manufacturers have closed down their plants or converted to other lines of productions.

The last standing typewriter factory in the world, Godrej and Boyce, is closing its plant in Mumbai, India. What remains are just several hundred typewriters, most of which are Arabic language models.

Although typewriters became obsolete years ago in the west, they were still common in India - until recently, reported the Daily Mail.

Typewriter sales have plummeted in the past several years: the company sold fewer than 800 machines in 2010, down from the 50,000 it produced every year in the 1990s.

“From the early 2000s onwards, computers started dominating. All the manufacturers of office typewriters stopped production, except us,” general manager Millind Dukle told the Business Standard. “We are not getting many orders now. But this might be the last chance for typewriter lovers. Now, our primary market is among the defence agencies, courts and government offices.”

Another one of Godrej and Boyce’s typewriter plants in Shirwal was shut down recently and is now used as a refrigerator manufacturing unit.

In the face of this development, the National Theatre provided for N22.8 million in its 2012 budget for the purchase of typewriters.

The item, which comes under the heading “Purchase of fixed assets – general” has other items as purchase of office furniture and fittings, purchase of photocopying machines, purchase of fire-fighting equipment as well as purchase of recreational facilities.

Kabir Yusuf, general manager, National Theatre, when asked about the item exclaimed, “Who uses typewriters these days?” He however said the money was for writing equipment.

When asked to shed more light on what he meant, he said the sub-head typewriter is the budget template under which there are other items, which he would not mention.
No big deal. They just don't want to do what others are doing
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Freiburger(m): 9:46am On Sep 25, 2012
onlineadejoh: Somebody pls tell them I've one at home which I can sell for the if they are ready to pay good money out of this fat budget grin grin grin Typewriter in 2012! Naija, I hail o!
Why not donate it for free to your beloved country? smiley
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 25, 2012
You guys shouldn't blame him o! I'm not sure the complex even has light talk less of generators to power laptops and pcs. Or u don hear of typewritter wey require UPS grin grin grin

The man is being wise Jare.....OLOSHI BURUKU cheesy

3 Likes

Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by timbros(m): 9:56am On Sep 25, 2012
And yet they wont pay the 27.5% increase they promised teachers!

iAngry sad
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 25, 2012
LWKMD...My belle ooooooo..... Someone should time me it a joke
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by ifyalways(f): 9:58am On Sep 25, 2012
Shame.
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Revolva(m): 10:00am On Sep 25, 2012
Typewriter s LMFAO in this era I don't think ave seen a typewriter since last 10yrs --lol instead of them to buy computers they are going backwards with typewriters yeye people
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by megxo(m): 10:03am On Sep 25, 2012
maybe na apple do d typewriter>kinda lyk iTypewritergringringringringringringringringrin

3 Likes

Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by tnktosin(m): 10:12am On Sep 25, 2012
shocked shocked sometimes I wish I had superpowers arrrrgh.....modasuckers
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by sheyguy: 10:13am On Sep 25, 2012
That must be one typewriter for each artistic font . . . Makes sense . . . Lol.
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 25, 2012
Typewriter in 21st century,I'm speechless,these people know next to nothing in act of governance..what do they want to do with it?I cry for Nigeria,the people involve should be cooling their heels in kirikiri..Nigeria is a shame,no doubt,I must nationalized to any developed nation.
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by lastpage: 10:25am On Sep 25, 2012
allahisevil:

Kabir Yusuf, general manager, National Theatre, when asked about the item exclaimed, “Who uses typewriters these days?” .

You guys need to "wise-up"!
[size=18pt]
"Typewriter" is a coded word for "TO BE LOOTED"!
[/size] grin grin grin

Of course, who uses Typewriter these days.......if not LOOTERS? shocked shocked wink

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by moonraker(m): 10:30am On Sep 25, 2012
You hear so kind of news that just makes u laugh!!!!

I mean madness laught!!!

22Mill on typewriter?? LORD HAVE MERCY cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by chucky234(m): 10:31am On Sep 25, 2012
Freiburger: 22m is not that much for writings materials if only they will do their best and get the right and working ones. We 're taking about a national theatre here.
Bros N22m for typewriters is way too much na, abi you still dey see typewriters for offices for Germany wey you dey.
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Freiburger(m): 10:39am On Sep 25, 2012
chucky234: Bros N22m for typewriters is way too much na, abi you still dey see typewriters for offices for Germany wey you dey.
Wetin you say make i talk again na? do you know what it will cost to train the National theatre workers again on how to use the today's computer or do you want to see a $22mill budget? Nigerians are always known for settling of the cheap thing. And again continuing with the manual typewriters might be something symbolic since it is meant for the National theatre, who knows?
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by greatgod2012(f): 10:42am On Sep 25, 2012
do they really buying any typewriter, but bagging their pockets, but they must put something there to shut u pple up, but here again, u pple are still talking, abeg, leave them joo, nigeria=corruption
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by yyb14: 10:45am On Sep 25, 2012
What is typewriter?
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by omodapson(m): 10:48am On Sep 25, 2012
Abeg, how many typewriters that money go buy? grin
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by dammytosh: 10:53am On Sep 25, 2012
Ok lets look at it from another dimension.

Typewriter can be used for typing and you see the print instantly without power supply. Since power supply in Nigeria is still erratic, If the intention is ok, they might need it.

I can only fault the volume. Why do they need that much. My guess is that it should be needed just for back up.

- My Opinion.
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Freiburger(m): 10:54am On Sep 25, 2012
dammytosh: Ok lets look at it from another dimension.

Typewriter can be used for typing and you see the print instantly without power supply. Since power supply in Nigeria is still erratic, If the intention is ok, they might need it.

I can only fault the volume. Why do they need that much. My guess is that it should be needed just for back up.

- My Opinion.
Not a bad one.
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by Redstone(m): 11:14am On Sep 25, 2012
Is it not this national theatre in Iganmu.

Our leaders will never change, I swear, 22 million for type writers Or are they trying to say computers? I don't understand why and how retards get appointed to run things in Nigeria.

If this 22 million is to be spent to acquire very obsolete type writers, then the leadership of the National theatre should be fully lodged in Yaba left side now.

Even if they need such old type writers, they don't need more than 10 of it. Abi them wan buy the India company?
Re: National Theatre To Spend N22m On Typewriters -LMAO by slimyem: 11:25am On Sep 25, 2012
why am i not surprised?
I was at the state high Court a few months ago to swear an affidavit.
I was led to where to type it in the court premises and it was typed with a typewriter!!!
Naija..i hail thee!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obama Children's Dresses Too Short For Official Trips [photos] / Professor Asks Students To Pose Unclad In Class If They Want To Graduate. Photos / Police Shoots IPOB Man Who Just Came Back 4rm Indonesia 4 His Wedding Dead(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.