Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,668 members, 7,813,234 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon (9750 Views)

Bakassi Indigenes Sue FG / Cameroonian Gendarmes Force Bakassi Indigenes To Leave Their Homeland / Bakassi Indigenes Threaten To Return Back To Bakassi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Nobody: 11:43am On Sep 26, 2012
Aggrieved natives of Bakassi Peninsula yesterday stormed Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory in a bid to convince the Federal Government to take necessary steps to review the International Court of Justice ruling that ceded the oil-rich area to Cameroun 10 years ago.

But neither President Goodluck Jonathan nor the Attorney General of the Federation, Mr. Mohammed Adoke, was in Abuja to listen to the embattled Bakassi indigenes, who claimed to have been armed with new incontrovertible facts to aid the government in pressing for the reversal of the ICJ judgement in Nigeria’s favour.

Both Jonathan and the AGF are in New York for the first-ever High-Level Plenary Session of the United Nations on the Rule of Law, which opened on Monday.

The Bakassi indigenes pointed out that the information at their disposal was enough to swing the ICJ to reverse its October 10, 2002 ruling in favour of Nigeria and pleaded with President Jonathan not to listen to the enemies of Nigeria who claim that the issue had been laid to rest.

The Coordinator of the ‘Save Bakassi Group’ in the FCT, Mr. Solomon Inameti, told Vanguard that they were ready to assist the Federal Government with fresh evidence that was not available at the time of the judgment.

Inameti said, “we have 100 new information and we are ready to give to the Nigerian Government to use and approach the ICJ and conveniently pursue this case to a logical conclusion.

“To the best of our knowledge, the evidence is concrete enough to secure us victory at the ICJ and the Federal Government can take us for our words.

“We went out of our way to secure this vital information that was not there before to assist the Federal Government because we believe that it is in our own interest to continue to remain in Nigeria.

“Let us make it categorically clear that no matter what happens we will not accept Cameroun as our own country. Subjugating us to Cameroun would not only be humiliating but dehumanizing to us and our generations yet unborn.

“Anyone who thinks that we the people of Bakassi can come under Cameroun is wasting time because that will not work. We are ready to go to the United Nations and seek a referendum on where we want to be and how we should be administered.

“If the Federal Government of Nigeria does not want us we will approach the UN at the end of October 10, 2012 to seek the way forward for ourselves and our respective communities in Bakassi,” Inameti said.

FG should reclaim Bakassi

A historian, who is very familiar with the Bakassi history, Mr. Emmanuel Doh, said the AGF had no reason to hesitate in approaching the ICJ for the immediate review of the 2002 judgement given the weight of evidence now at his disposal.

Doh pointed out that Cameroun even committed a serious blunder by the way and manner it adjusted the boundary between it and Southern Cameroon encompassing Bakassi, after the African Union had asked all countries to respect their boundaries with other nations.

Doh said Cameroun’s fraudulent boundary adjustment coupled with numerous actions, which the UN and the ICJ were not aware of at the time of the ruling in 2002, were enough to swing judgment in Nigeria’s favour, if a review was sought.

A member of the House of Representatives from Cross River State, Ambassador Nkoyo Toyo, warned yesterday that it was in the interest of the government of Nigeria to take urgent legal steps to reclaim Bakassi, as the people of the area would never surrender their fate to another country.

Toyo, who is a former Nigeria’s envoy to Ethiopia, said the Bakassi people would continue to fight for the territory until their rights were restored.

The lawmaker maintained that the people were hit below the belt when the AGF declared recently that Nigeria was not going to ask for a review of the ICJ judgment, a development, she claimed smacks of insensitivity on the part of the government.

She noted, “The people of Bakassi have always been demanding a review of the judgment. But unfortunately, former President Olusegun Obasanjo adopted a unilateral approach towards it.

“You will recall that Obasanjo did not bring up the matter to the National Assembly, the National Boundary Commission has not adjusted the boundary despite the ruling, the Bakassi Local Government is still in Cross River State and it is still being paid monthly subvention by the Federal Government.

“So there are many illegal things still going on as far as the issue of Bakassi is concerned. But the Bakassi people have never had a chance to decide for themselves where they want to go and how they want to be administered,” the lawmaker said.

It could not be established last night whether the government would accept the new evidence being claimed by the Bakassi natives and use it to press for a review of the judgment before the expiration of the deadline on October 10.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/bakassi-indigenes-reject-cameroun/

3 Likes

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 26, 2012
HNosegbe:
“You will recall that Obasanjo did not bring up the matter to the National Assembly, the National Boundary Commission has not adjusted the boundary despite the ruling, the Bakassi Local Government is still in Cross River State and it is still being paid monthly subvention by the Federal Government.

So who is receiving and spending the money?

1 Like

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Pray(m): 8:27pm On Sep 26, 2012
Desires of the people of Bakassi must be respected. There should be a call for the people to decide where they want to belong to and possibly have a vote on it. winner takes all! Omo we!

3 Likes

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by sheyguy: 8:35pm On Sep 26, 2012
Pray: Desires of the people of Bakassi must be respected. There should be a call for the people to decide where they want to belong to and possibly have a vote on it. winner takes all! Omo we!
The best option.
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Nobody: 8:36pm On Sep 26, 2012
The people there are at a crossroad,when two elephants fight,the grass must surely suffer..the opinion of the people must be respected..

1 Like

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by DANILSA(m): 8:37pm On Sep 26, 2012
IS REFERENDUM ONLY HELD IN EUROPE? PLEASE THIS GUYS SHOULD BE GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO DECIDE THEIR FATE. WE MIGHT NOT WIN BUT AT-LEAST A TRIAL IS BETTER.

1 Like

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Biggyd2: 8:39pm On Sep 26, 2012
OBJ has been saying so many things lately on the affairs of this nation(he even traded words with Eedris Abdulkareem),but interestingly we haven't heard him say anything on this Bakassi issue. Why?

1 Like

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Biggyd2: 8:42pm On Sep 26, 2012
HNosegbe:

So who is receiving and spending the money?

And they must have contributed in voting the present government into power. Why their votes were not rejected by INEC "because they are not part of Nigeria", beats me.

1 Like

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Kslib(m): 8:46pm On Sep 26, 2012
I just feel for those people of bakassi.. I can feel their emotions through their words,i can feel their pain. I can hear their hearts yearning to be called Nigerians once again....
This is what happens when we vote in robots as leaders.. These people dont have feelings..they dont know what it means to struggle and feel pain.. They dont care about the masses...
But one day na one day..monkey go go market e no go return...

5 Likes

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 26, 2012
I dont think Gej is the man to break the jinx and challenge the status quo. I dnt think his government has the political will to do the right thing.I believe they could even bury the evidence if possible.Our government dnt just have what it takes to fair well in international politics. I trust USA anytime anyday. They wil do evrytin to protect their interest.We are so lazy in this country to force our lazy and fat leaders to wake up to their duties. I think at the end,bakassi people wil have to take their destinies in their hands,left to Gej,they are on O Y O highland.

3 Likes

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Benito69(m): 8:49pm On Sep 26, 2012
This people are joking! the best way to sort this out, is for the Bakassi people to declare either independence e.g SOUTH SUDAN or a plebiscite on which country they want to join e.g THE FALKLAND ISLANDS, GIBRALTAR e.t.c

1 Like

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by amosy007: 8:54pm On Sep 26, 2012
Benito69: This people are joking! the best way to sort this out, is for the Bakassi people to declare either independence e.g SOUTH SUDAN or a plebiscite on which country they want to join e.g THE FALKLAND ISLANDS, GIBRALTAR e.t.c
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by amosy007: 8:57pm On Sep 26, 2012
Benito69: This people are joking! the best way to sort this out, is for the Bakassi people to declare either independence e.g SOUTH SUDAN or a plebiscite on which country they want to join e.g THE FALKLAND ISLANDS, GIBRALTAR e.t.c
its not as easy as it seems! U cnt just declare independent without war or the host country agreeing to part ways with u.. The best they can do is to go back to icj to review the previous judgement
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:05pm On Sep 26, 2012
I get the sense the federal gov't is scared to have a face-off with Cameroun in whatever guise, and would rather not stir the hornets nest.

I feel they're also scared to grant the Bakassi people a referendum, because it may snowball into other ethnicities asking for one too, and then the whole Nigeria will scatter....b'cos frankly, many people of the old eastern region are sick of all this bad fortune that comes with the whole 'Nigerian experience': the ethno/religious killings; the corruption; the 'ownership' of Nigeria by certain other ethnicities and oligarchs; the plundering of our natural resources and leaving environment degradation, poverty and disease in their wake; the machinations and do-or-die attitude to politics at the centre; using our wealth to develop other peoples land.....only to hear them talk crap latter; religious intolerance; quota system and federal character that allows the unqualified to take up sensitive positions at national level; etc-etc-etc. We've had it with this fake union masquerading as one united country.

3 Likes

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 26, 2012
I solemly stand by the people of bakassi, what ever way you want to use and to any extent to reclaim your land then go on, am sure you have the support of over 97% of Nigerians
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:10pm On Sep 26, 2012
Stalemate

Nigeria Government is not ready to fight for them.

Confusion
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Abbycite(m): 9:18pm On Sep 26, 2012
Suddenly, Nigeria is worth fighting for....I thought some pple don't want to be associated with d name 'Nigeria'....

Seriously, I don't xpect FG to go back to ICJ because going back would mean 'backing out of a deal'....every right thinking man in dis country would know that Nigeria would not have give up Bakassi that easily unless 'carrot' dey involve....

And pls stop blaming OBJ, he chose d best option...
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by amosy007: 9:28pm On Sep 26, 2012
Abbycite: Suddenly, Nigeria is worth fighting for....I thought some pple don't want to be associated with d name 'Nigeria'....

Seriously, I don't xpect FG to go back to ICJ because going back would mean 'backing out of a deal'....every right thinking man in dis country would know that Nigeria would not have give up Bakassi that easily unless 'carrot' dey involve....

And pls stop blaming OBJ, he chose d best option...
what carrot u talking abt? undecided
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Yujin(m): 9:35pm On Sep 26, 2012
This is the reason why I always refer to Nigeria as an empire. If Cameroon takes Bakassi, then Nigeria will indefinitely disintegrate. This viewpoint goes contrary to the permutations of Gowon, OBJ and other proponents/fathers of 'one nigeria'. They think that they are wise. Pray tell me; who would after seeing his father appear clueless at the instance of one of his sons being forcefully taken away would still pay an unalloyed allegiance to him? Bakassi indigenes, resist with your blood if need be but seek for independence. Nigeria does not value you and as such does not worth to have you. We are watching.
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Abbycite(m): 9:39pm On Sep 26, 2012
amosy007:
what carrot u talking abt? undecided

In international politics, nothing is free....when OBJ was negotiating for d relieve of our debt from Paris club (French set-up) and d same France want something from Nigeria....did I av to spell it out!

1 Like

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Rimamnusi: 9:43pm On Sep 26, 2012
Pls leaders of nigeria don,t agreed that because thos people kill much of Tarabians with there dam
HNosegbe:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/bakassi-indigenes-reject-cameroun/

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Kslib(m): 9:55pm On Sep 26, 2012
Rimamnusi: Pls leaders of nigeria don,t agreed that because thos people kill much of Tarabians with there dam
It is well.Why not say it in pidgin.. Dont let those people with big big grammer deceive you or intimidate you. Abeg feel free to use pidgin. As far as we dey communicate and i understand you,no wahala..

4 Likes

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by onila(f): 9:57pm On Sep 26, 2012
grin they will just be like the English Cameroonians

discriminated by the french gay-gots tongue

they shld form their own country
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by yoji: 10:06pm On Sep 26, 2012
I wonder y they r he'll bent on being Nigeria. Wat has this country done for its ple to warrant d desperation. Nigeria is a failed state struggling along tribal needs and steeped in corruption. I think on the long run Cameron wud b better for them sef. Can u compare d state of environment Nigeria drills oil from to others.
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Nobody: 10:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
May the good lord bless the idiots in africa let father jehova forgive the sins of our fore fathers let the mistakes of the past be not repeated in the futher and may the americans invent a space ship capable of transporting humans to mars so that the eyes of the black man shall open and see the wonders of the lord and stop bickering over land on earth.
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by amosy007: 10:27pm On Sep 26, 2012
Abbycite:

In international politics, nothing is free....when OBJ was negotiating for d relieve of our debt from Paris club (French set-up) and d same France want something from Nigeria....did I av to spell it out!
sounds like conspiracy theory to me...

What will d french benefit from givin bakassi to cameroon?
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by amosy007: 10:30pm On Sep 26, 2012
yoji: I wonder y they r he'll bent on being Nigeria. Wat has this country done for its ple to warrant d desperation. Nigeria is a failed state struggling along tribal needs and steeped in corruption. I think on the long run Cameron wud b better for them sef. Can u compare d state of environment Nigeria drills oil from to others.
what is ur defination of failed state and can u compare cameroon with nigeria?
What will dey benefit frm cameroon? They dnt even speak the same language
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by SOUTHSOUTH1: 10:49pm On Sep 26, 2012
yoji: I wonder y they r he'll bent on being Nigeria. Wat has this country done for its ple to warrant d desperation. Nigeria is a failed state struggling along tribal needs and steeped in corruption. I think on the long run Cameron wud b better for them sef. Can u compare d state of environment Nigeria drills oil from to others.

I tell you the truth, no country in Africa can experience what Nigeria is going through and still stand as a country.. If you don't like your country others do, even with all that is going on..
Another fact is that, Nigeria can not be compared to Cameroon!!
The Bakasi people know for sure that they'll be seen as second class citizens in Cameroon!!
Tell me, can anyone in Bakasi rise to the level of becoming Governor or President in Cameroon?

IF THERE'S NOTHING THAT MAKES YOU HELL BENT ON BEING A NIGERIAN, OTHERS DO, BAKASI PEOPLE DO AND I'M PROUD OF BEING A TYPICAL NIGERIAN, NOTHING CAN CHANGE THAT..

YOU CAN TAKE A NIGERIAN BOY OUT OF NIGERIA BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE NIGERIA OUT OF HIM..

2 Likes

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by timbros(m): 10:50pm On Sep 26, 2012
When will journalists minimise the usage of "storm" and/or "stormed" in their reports?
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Kslib(m): 10:56pm On Sep 26, 2012
dj militant: May the good lord bless the idiots in africa let father jehova forgive the sins of our fore fathers let the mistakes of the past be not repeated in the futher and may the americans invent a space ship capable of transporting humans to mars so that the eyes of the black man shall open and see the wonders of the lord and stop bickering over land on earth.

Science and religion put together cannot explain your post... I hope the garri community will create a software that will decipher the secret message hidden in your post..
Yo programmers in the house..you guys have serious work to do...

3 Likes

Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by iszyboy(m): 11:05pm On Sep 26, 2012
i wish you guys goodluck not obj. oyo 4 una
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon by Nobody: 11:32pm On Sep 26, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Diagnosed With Cancer Of The Brain By London Doctors / Obanikoro Remains In EFCC Custody As He Fails To Refund First N100m- SR / Trip To Memory, Nnamdi Kanu Started The Hate Speech.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.