Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,329 members, 7,850,172 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:42 PM

Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings (59231 Views)

9 Baby Names Banned By Governments / Modern Igbo Baby Names / Most Unusual Baby Names of 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by didara86(f): 1:32pm On Feb 03, 2008
Can someone tell me about the meaning of Ayorinde?
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by RichyBlacK(m): 6:52pm On Feb 03, 2008
didara86:

Can someone tell me about the meaning of Ayorinde?

Literally, "joy has walked back (into my life)".
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by didara86(f): 9:51pm On Feb 03, 2008
Thanks once again, Richy! wink
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by RichyBlacK(m): 9:05am On Feb 04, 2008
didara86:

Thanks once again, Richy! wink

didara86, you're welcome, once again. wink
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by amsky(m): 1:07pm On Feb 04, 2008
pls what's the meaning of oloshi jatti jatti?
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by mafolayomi(f): 3:17pm On Feb 04, 2008
amsky:

please what's the meaning of oloshi jatti jatti?
That one too na name??
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 3:58am On Feb 06, 2008
amsky:

please what's the meaning of oloshi jatti jatti?

you don't want to know. . . that one na insult o. . . that's not a name

@post
I've always love this two names:
Ifeoluwa
Oluwapelumi
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by TheSly: 4:17am On Feb 06, 2008
Adekunle which means Crown full house

Adewale which means Crown Come house

Ayorinde ===== joy don come here

Oladipupo====== blessing don plenty

Muyiwa======== Bring am

Timileyin===== Push me for back!

Aderibigbe====== Crown don get house

Olaniyi=======Money is Good

Oyinlola===== horney na money

cheesy grin cheesy grin

need i say more? cool lemme know
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by loveme(f): 12:27pm On Feb 06, 2008
gilrs,
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by omoovie(f): 11:24pm On May 09, 2008
Ovieya - Vieya for short
Oghenetega - Tega for short
Genevieve - Pronounced the French way (Juhn-VEE-ehv)
Ujuomonigho - Uju for short
Nnenna
Belle
Aurelie
Osasere - Osas for short
Ogheneyoma - Yoma for short
Onajite
Dafe (Urhobo, short for something, I don't know what)
Dapo (Yoruba, short for something, I don't know what)
Oturugbeke - Gbeke for short

I'm just playing on that last one! Please don't name your child that.
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by gbegbs: 3:40am On May 12, 2008
oluwafejutotomoromi meaning god payed attention to my matter

oluwapamilerinayo meaning god made me laugh a laugh of joy

oluwatosin god is enough to serve

oluwalolase meaning its god that has command

oluwafunmilayo meaning god gave me joy

peace out good luck wink
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by sheniqua: 3:47am On May 12, 2008
those sentences for a name shocked shocked
what a burden for a little baby to carry grin
no baby should be given any name with more than 2 syllabuses.
Oluwa alone is 3 syllabuses abi syllabi
no wonder almost every Yoruba person I know answers 1/4 to I/2 of their names in real life. grin
Igbos have also started this.
Rather than trendy names like Nneka,Ugonma,Chioma,Kelechi,chika,Chiso, nwando ,they've started naming sentences like

munachisoaga shocked

chukwuatasienamobi shocked

kanyikeneolisa shocked

These names may have beautiful meanings but they are just tooooooooooo looooooong.

1 Like

Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by gbegbs: 5:06pm On May 12, 2008
dat should tell u that those 2 syllabi names ar gettn out dated if u notice dat d igbos ar doing same thing too. go research hausas they might have gone out of where u ar three grin
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by Vallo57(m): 1:08am On May 13, 2008
Why are Africans proudly giving their kids English names and you will hardly hear of Oyinbos returning the favor ?
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by jgbadebo: 5:00pm On May 16, 2008
my kids names are:
bearing in mind that most nigerian names have affixes, making it longer when you write it down, we decided to write the names legally without the affixes.  It makes it easier for the child to learn to write her/his name as well (except for my last child whose name is still very long without the affix.

name  w/o affix       with affix           short form           sex           literal meaning
Dasola           OyinDasola          Sola or Dasola    unisex         Honey poured into my wealth
Damisi          OluwaDamisi         Misi or Sisi           unisex        God spared my life
Demilade      OluwaDemilade      Lade or Demi     unisex        God crowned me
Motara          OmoTara                    Tara               unisex       child is enough to be my family
other names:

Foworola     Kofoworola             Kofo or Rola        girl             did not pay for wealth
Erin              OluwaPamilerin        Erin                 unisex         God made me laugh
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by manchibabe: 2:17pm On Jul 01, 2008
As for me gonna have three kids nd their name wil be macey ethan erieoluwa (male), Breanna imisioluwa Shayna 9female) and marni inioluwa Dorran(girl) and jarden Ilerioluwa Elmar (male) but not more dan 3 sha o

Leanne - grace, favor (female)
Bre- anna - strong (female)
Eliane- my god has answered (female)
macey - gift (unisex)
ethan- Strong/ enduring (male)
Jaden - Jehova has answered (male)
Analise - Devoted to God (Female)
Marni - Rejoice (female)
Shayna - Beautiful
Dorran gift (unisex)
freda - joy (female)
Elmar - noble and famous (male)

1 Like

Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by xty114(f): 10:59am On Aug 14, 2008
Av been reading through but am surprised nobody has mentioned my favourite name which av been reserving for my first child, it's btw me and my husband to be,
Short Name Meaning

OLUWAJOMILOJU JOJU Unisex God surprised me

Hope u all like it(LOL)

1 Like

Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:21am On Aug 21, 2008
What d hell angry angry
Been trying to get this quote thing to work without d senders details.

Not this.
gbegbs:

that should tell u that those 2 syllabi names ar gettn out dated if u notice that d igbos ar doing same thing too. go research hausas they might have gone out of where u ar three grin

But this, hopefully i get it now.
[quote ]
Why are Africans proudly giving their kids English names and you will hardly hear of Oyinbos returning the favor ?
[quote][/quote]
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 21, 2008
Damn!! angry

Lets try again.
Vallo57 :

Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by candide(f): 5:39am On Sep 02, 2008
it happens sometimes-- i will definitely name my first boy Kofi even if he is not born on Friday! My fav Ghana name.
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by JMeu: 5:58pm On Jan 19, 2011
<<Why are Africans proudly giving their kids English names and you will hardly hear of Oyinbos returning the favor ?>>

Speaking for myself, I have a daughter who is 1/2 Kenyan who was born in 1994 - before any real content on the internet.  I sent a letter to her family in Kenya (before she was born) asking for tribal names (Luhya) for her.  I received letters in return, but without any names. So, without any naming resources available to me I named her Elizabeth Kenya after her country.

I'm enjoying reading through all of these names.  My husband (Igbo) and I are planning for a boy and will definitely use Igbo names for him.

I don't believe white Americans would be interested in using African names, but some African-Americans certainly would be and every so often you do find an African American with a traditional African name. However, as someone mentioned some of the names are quite long and will most surely be constantly mispronounced by people in the US. So, most people will lean toward something easy to spell and pronounce.
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by SAFO(m): 4:59pm On Aug 24, 2011
Can someone help me out with these meanings

Oladimeji

Mojisola Abeke
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by bittatruth(m): 6:16pm On Aug 24, 2011
^^R u nigerian?

cute baby, didn't know u don born undecided

Ola = joy, happines, basically good things.

Di = become

Meji = two

So make the equation tongue

Dunno bout the oda
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by SAFO(m): 7:39pm On Aug 24, 2011
bittatruth:

^^R u nigerian?

cute baby, didn't know u don born undecided

Ola = joy, happines, basically good things.

Di = become

Meji = two

So make the equation tongue

Dunno bout the oda

Yes, I'm Nigerian. My father was born in Ondo township but my mother is American and we moved around so much that I never mastered the Yoruba language.

I do know the meaning of my own name. Ayodele - Joy has come

Unfortunately my father passed away last year and there were some things we never got to discuss.

It's kind of embarrassing, I know. embarassed
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by bittatruth(m): 7:46pm On Aug 24, 2011
^^^Aww don't feel emberassed, i know people who live in Nigeria and can't even speak their langauge undecided undecided

Nice to meet you Ayodele grin

My condolences about ur father, you seem like a real nice and sensible person.

Who's names are those?
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by SAFO(m): 7:50pm On Aug 24, 2011
Thanks,

My son is Oladimeji

My daughter is Mojisola Abeke

My father named them.
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by bittatruth(m): 7:52pm On Aug 24, 2011
Hmm twins?
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by SAFO(m): 7:55pm On Aug 24, 2011
No, my son is a few years older.
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by bittatruth(m): 8:35pm On Aug 24, 2011
How old r u bro? angry grin
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by SAFO(m): 8:43pm On Aug 24, 2011
Old enuff grin
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by bittatruth(m): 9:37pm On Aug 24, 2011
Hmmm
Re: Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings by nolongTing: 7:43pm On Sep 14, 2011
SAFO:

Can someone help me out with these meanings

Oladimeji

Mojisola Abeke

Mojisola - "I woke up to wealth"

Abeke? sounds like Abike: Born to treasure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Woman Married 2 Husbands Same Time For 11 Years / Olayemi Oluwatoyin Is Missing: Left Abuja For Lagos Since May & Has Not Returned / Help, My Husband Is Causing Me Pain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.