Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,690 members, 7,809,605 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st (9543 Views)

Is There Public Holiday On Friday 27/03/2015 / Anambra State Governorship Election Debate On STV on Oct 25th, 2013 / Pictures From Senate's Nigeria@52 Dinner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by mukina2: 2:08pm On Sep 28, 2012
The federal government has announced Monday, October 1, as public holiday to mark Nigeria’s 52nd independence anniversary, a statement from the Ministry of Interior has said.

The statement which was signed by the Ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Mrs. Daniel Nwaobia in Abuja, on behalf of the Minister, also wished all Nigerians a blissful independence anniversary celebration.

It quoted President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan as urging all Nigerians to continue to fervently pray for enduring peace and progress in the country, urging all and sundry to resolve to build a more united and virile nation that would be the pride of all Nigerians wherever they lived.

The Minister, further condemned what he termed the practice of absolute denial of Nigerian citizens the right to observe and enjoy work- free days by government of the federation some foreign agencies

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/35933/2012/09/28/nigeria52_fg_declares_oct_1_public_holiday.html
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by GARRIx7(m): 4:09pm On Sep 28, 2012
and so?

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Jglad(f): 4:17pm On Sep 28, 2012
even if they dnt declare it,Dere is no fuel so we have no choice dan 2 stay at home... Yeye people shey we no knw b4 say oct 1 na public holiday abi? Mtcheew...

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 28, 2012
grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Nobody: 7:50pm On Sep 28, 2012
So make I begin fry akara inside kettle because 1st of october na public holiday? Mtscheeeew!

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by excondido(m): 11:00pm On Sep 28, 2012
old story
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by ghettodreamz(m): 4:06am On Sep 29, 2012
mukina2:

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/35933/2012/09/28/nigeria52_fg_declares_oct_1_public_holiday.html

This isn't a news, there is no biggie about celebrating independence when the common Nigerians are still in the captivity of our own government. Tufiaka, no biggie christening a bastard child, cos the stigma will always be on him forever.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Biggyd2: 10:24am On Sep 29, 2012
The Celebration has been suspended till 2014!!!

[b]Nigerians would continue to witness low key independence anniversary till 2014 when there would be an extravagant carnival, President Goodluck Jonathan has said.
]The President made the disclosure at a press conference in Urugwiro Village, Rwandan Presidential Villa, shortly before he concluded a two-day visit to Rwanda.

According to him, “Nigeria’s independence anniversary in 2012 and 2013 would not be different from the low key celebration of Nigeria’s 51st independence anniversary last Saturday, October 1, just as the 2014 independence anniversary would be merged with centenary celebration to mark 100 years of amalgamation at the twilight of his administration on May 2015.”

The Federal Government had opted for a low key celebration of Nigeria’s 51st independence anniversary at the forecourt of the President’s office in the Presidential Villa instead of the Eagle Square which had been the venue of major national events.
S[/b]ources said, “The Government had insisted that the low key celebration was to cut cost having spent huge amount of money on Nigeria’s 50th independence anniversary celebration as well as the inauguration ceremony of the President and Governors of the 36 States in less than one year.”

Meanwhile, the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, denied that the low key celebration was due to threats by the violent Islamic Sect, Boko Haram and the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) to bomb the Eagle Square on the day of the celebration.

Jonathan had disparaged the antics of politicians who faulted the government, whereas the action was in the best interest of the country and to save cost, claiming that neither MEND nor other groups were responsible for the recent low key independence anniversary.
Assuring that Nigeria is safe for investors as notable dignitaries like Bill Gates had visited the country without fear, the president said, “I received Bill Gates in Nigeria, if not the richest, one of the richest people in the world. So if Bill Gates could come to Nigeria and move freely that tells you Nigeria is safe. [/b]It is a very wrong notion that is being painted that we celebrated our independence anniversary in the State House we did not celebrate in the State House; we had a low key celebration.”

And no country, you are journalist you can tell me, no country that celebrates their national day every year.

Even an individual from the age of 40 and above if you celebrate your birthday every year nobody comes again, nobody values it.
"What happened was that Nigeria was 50 last year 1st October because for you to celebrate your national day, you must invite your colleagues heads of state and government, if you are not doing that then you are celebrating in low key which is we did. Last year’s celebration was huge and so many heads of state all over the world attended, very senior dignitaries. Then May 29th this year was my inauguration, we invited all heads of states and government again and if you look at photograph is almost like an AU meeting, most African heads of state were there and then October 1st this year you want to call them again? It will not be fair.

Even in the history of Nigeria, there is no time that any President celebrated the National Day every year, just like your own birthday you take flash points maybe 40, 45, 50, you begin to give gaps of about five years interval to make it more meaningful. So we decided not to celebrate this year 2011, that decision was taken long ago.

“I think the confusion is that towards the independent anniversary, an individual or group of individuals from a militia organization called MEND, an organization based in the Niger Delta, incidentally the region I come from and we know with the Amnesty Programme, the challenge in Niger Delta has almost be taken care of, so is either one individual using the name of MEND to issue a threat that nobody should go to Eagles Square for celebration whereas we had taken the decision long ago before the independence anniversary not to celebrate to conserve funds.”

let me use this opportunity to tell my country men and women who may be discussing this issue, even next year 2012 and 2013 we will not celebrate our independence anniversary, it will be low key. But 2014 we will celebrate it because Nigeria will be 100 years as a nation when the northern and southern part amalgamated in 1914. So we are going to combine centenary celebration which took place in January 2014 and the October 1st independence celebration. Also, this present administration which I head will end 29th of May, 2015, we will not get to October 1st before we leave and so is good we celebrate our national day once before the administration leave.”

http://www.mobileafrik.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4859:no-elaborate-independence-celebration-till-2014-jonathan&catid=10:nigerian-news
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Nobody: 10:25am On Sep 29, 2012
Ok na, i don hear
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by fingard02k(m): 10:27am On Sep 29, 2012
HOPE DEM NO GO THROW BOMB ON THAT DAY?....But wait o..Is NIGERIA truely INDEPENDENT?
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Psylas(m): 10:29am On Sep 29, 2012
gboss4sure: Ok na, i don hear
u don c abi u don hear
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by FLYFIRE(m): 10:38am On Sep 29, 2012
God bless Nigeria at 52. Nigeria is on the way to greatness again. No matter what we have been through, let us begin to see the best in this great nation & build a strong nation together. Believe me, I work with people from over the world & many of them will sell an eye to be Nigerians. Nigeria is a great nation & we are going back to where God placed us. God bless Nigeria. I love Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Todaynatoday: 10:39am On Sep 29, 2012
Jglad: even if they dnt declare it,Dere is no fuel so we have no choice dan 2 stay at home... Yeye people shey we no knw b4 say oct 1 na public holiday abi? Mtcheew...
u no say some of us fit don 4get, so dem gasto remind us. The holiday no mean anything cus people go still go work.
berem: So make I begin fry akara inside kettle because 1st of october na public holiday? Mtscheeeew!
hahahahahahahaha!
Abeg if u fry am finish, make u send me ma own o!
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 29, 2012
FG is a waste... Bagasse
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Hadeyeancah(m): 10:42am On Sep 29, 2012
Sheey Na dat one will reduce the fuel price, bombing and unemployment rate...Na today,the thing don tale..Yeye government.
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Todaynatoday: 10:46am On Sep 29, 2012
Hadeyeancah: Sheey Na dat one will reduce the fuel price, bombing and unemployment rate...Na today,the thing don tale..Yeye government.
Guy, bone dat level jhor. Na naija be we own, we no get anoda. We don reach 52 even though we neva sabi waka wella, we still gasto celebrate. Abeg follow me make we pop purewater jare!
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Biggyd2: 10:49am On Sep 29, 2012
fingard02k: HOPE DEM NO GO THROW BOMB ON THAT DAY?....But wait o..Is NIGERIA truely INDEPENDENT?

At least, Aso Rock is safe. That is what is important to them. When our presido travelled to Brazil in the mist of Boko crisis, he defended himself by saying that he travelled so that he won't give BH the wrong signal. Now in our own country, our own presido can't address us in public on democracy or independence day celebration. He won't be at Eagle square abi? Na wa o. We will miss you GEJ! undecided
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Cyberknight: 11:01am On Sep 29, 2012
A fool at 52 is a fool forever.
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by GentleNaaz(m): 11:03am On Sep 29, 2012
how does ds concern d increasing price of garri in Naija during ds so called indpndnc
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by igbsam(m): 11:24am On Sep 29, 2012
Declaring Holiday and celebrating 1st of October with the country going down the drain. No fuel to even move round or lite up our generator since we can't move around. PHCN no even send people. SO what's there to celebrate ? Maybe we should celebrate their looting skills, cos no country can beat that. Rubbish! angry
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Nobody: 11:30am On Sep 29, 2012
Nairaland has been invaded by never-do-wells.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by SonOfGRACE1: 11:32am On Sep 29, 2012
I tire Ooº°˚ ˚°ºo !
GARRI (x7):
and so?
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by SonOfGRACE1: 11:35am On Sep 29, 2012
Which kain post-ume question u dey ask sef. Stop throwing stones Ooº°˚ ˚°ºo .naija 4 life!
fingard02k: HOPE DEM NO GO THROW BOMB ON THAT DAY?....But wait o..Is NIGERIA truely INDEPENDENT?
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by SonOfGRACE1: 11:37am On Sep 29, 2012
FLYFIRE: God bless Nigeria at 52. Nigeria is on the way to greatness again. No matter what we have been through, let us begin to see the best in this great nation & build a strong nation together. Believe me, I work with people from over the world & many of them will sell an eye to be Nigerians. Nigeria is a great nation & we are going back to where God placed us. God bless Nigeria. I love Nigeria.
bros abeg no vex pple for hear Ooº°˚ ˚°ºo
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by janeso(f): 11:41am On Sep 29, 2012
Pls my follow nigerians help me ask jonah nd patiec wat are we celebrating
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by lacasa: 11:42am On Sep 29, 2012
52?? Thαt makes naija a confused mofo @ 52 grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by wandeay: 11:48am On Sep 29, 2012
even if you no tell us, we don know! Tel us something more reasonable!!
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by sdiq: 12:02pm On Sep 29, 2012
ABEG FREE BRT DEY?
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by Jyde89: 12:14pm On Sep 29, 2012
So mek i kom de blow banga se because awa yeye govment declare public holiday, if dem like mek dem declare private sef e no affect fuel prise.
Re: Nigeria@52: FG Declares Holiday On Oct 1st by CLIQBOY(m): 12:15pm On Sep 29, 2012
I GO CELEBRATE IN MY OWN WAY!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cnn And Americans Mock Nigeria(photos) / The Enugu Season Of Baptism And The Story Of A Pampered City / Buhari: Killing Of Innocent People In Zamfara By Bandits Unacceptable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.