Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,790 members, 7,817,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? (3044 Views)

My 14-Year-Old Sister Made Shocking Revelations, How Can I Manage The Situation? / Meet Woman Who Had 7 Babies In 5 Years / How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by maclatunji: 9:01am On Sep 30, 2012
You know them, those who cry and make noise for no good reason and refuse to be pacified.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by Nobody: 9:29am On Sep 30, 2012
I don't know if there is any such baby who cries without any reason, but the best I can do for such child is to sing for him/her. grin
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 30, 2012
I'm assuming you're talking about a 0-3 or 4 month old infant right? In that case, crying for no reason (ensure there is truly no reason) is due to colic. If you google colic, you will find all the info you need. If it's an older baby, there is probably a real problem causing the baby to cry all the time. A doctor can help you find it.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by tjskii(f): 10:32am On Sep 30, 2012
Solution is u rock and sing to him(esp if u kno dt song,omo mi o,akuru bete ku be),u rock him standing
Or u put him on ur back cheesy dt one works lik magic
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by maclatunji: 10:41am On Sep 30, 2012
ileobatojo: I'm assuming you're talking about a 0-3 or 4 month old infant right? In that case, crying for no reason (ensure there is truly no reason) is due to colic. If you google colic, you will find all the info you need. If it's an older baby, there is probably a real problem causing the baby to cry all the time. A doctor can help you find it.

For the purpose of this thread, a baby is 0-2 year old child. I know there are more than 1001 things that could be wrong with a baby and make it cry but this thread is more about babies who seem to take delight in frustrating their mother/care-givers by crying at the slightest excuse, throwing toys away, refusing to be pacified and generally constituting a nuisance. I am a little bit surprised that those who have responded so far seem not to relate with this.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 30, 2012
maclatunji:

For the purpose of this thread, a baby is 0-2 year old child. I know there are more than 1001 things that could be wrong with a baby and make it cry but this thread is more about babies who seem to take delight in frustrating their mother/care-givers by crying at the slightest excuse, throwing toys away, refusing to be pacified and generally constituting a nuisance. I am a little bit surprised that those who have responded so far seem not to relate with this.
it all depends on the age of the child! My neighbour's child comes to mind.the boy is gonna be 2 yrs in november.I have never seen a child as stubborn as he is! And I just pity his mum because she can't do anything. But whenever am in their house,the child respects himself because I always threaten to flog him whenever I show him my cane. And he always keep calm.he dares not cry when am in their house! Whenever his mother feeds him,he won't eat! The only thing he drinks is pap.when am there,I feed him myself with solid food and he eats to avoid being flogged.I don't know if am doing the right thing,even his mum doesn't see anything wrong with my action.the only thing he fears is the cane anytime I hold it, but whenever am around without the cane,he always hugs me and gives me a peck.lol!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by maclatunji: 1:01pm On Sep 30, 2012
^I don't go as far as holding the cane. However, I lay down the law with them, I am the one in charge and the baby is the one that has to adjust. I let them no that. For those less than 1 throwing them in the air and catching back seems to do the trick and I have a unique "theme song " for every baby I help to care for which also helps.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by uyogabie(f): 1:27pm On Sep 30, 2012
My older Child gave me hell!She cried for no just reason.Maybe hers hereditary 'cos i was told I did exactly that.From the moment i gave birth to,she came out screaming like she was being flogged.I used to cry with her too.She will suck,take baby food and continue from where she stopped.I cldn't eat,cldnt do anything,was getting thinner while My baby was getting too fat dat no one believed i gave birth to her.we took her for check up,did x-ray,nothing.she's older and wiser now.let her try that now and see flogging.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by EfemenaXY: 2:37pm On Sep 30, 2012
maclatunji:

I don't believe babies cry just for the sake of crying.

Crying is their way of communicating that something isn't right with them. Now the age range you've given 0-2 is quite large and like someone mentioned earlier, it really, really does depend on the age of the child.

@ The bolded, that isn't right especially for the very young ones. The first thing to do as a parent is to eliminate any health issues that might cause the crying. If it's nothing to do with the babies health, then check the basics:

~ Is your baby hungry? Tired? Hot? Cold?

~ Is your baby teething? Colicky? Needs a nappy change?

~ Is your baby experiencing separation anxiety? This is normal and lots of babies go though this at one stage or another. Most likely between 7 months - 18 months. My daughter started at 6 months! Here are a few facts about Separation Anxiety:

- Separation anxiety is a normal (and positive) developmental stage that most babies experience between seven and 18 months.
- The development of separation anxiety shows your baby has established a healthy bond with you and that she is developing intellectually.
- Your infant may be experiencing separation anxiety if she becomes clingy, afraid of strangers and cries when you're out of sight.
- Give your baby lessons in object permanence with games like peek-a-boo and hide-and-seek.
- Don't sneak away when you have to leave – tell your baby what to expect and don't let your nervousness about leaving show.

http://www.justthefactsbaby.com/baby/article/does-your-baby-have-separation-anxiety/36

Establishing a routine with your child helps a lot. Also try to distract your baby by getting them involved in lots of activities to stimulate them. There is just so much more that can be said about this. The important thing is to understand your baby and work with them. cheesy cheesy
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by maclatunji: 3:22pm On Sep 30, 2012
uyogabie: My older Child gave me hell!She cried for no just reason.Maybe hers hereditary 'cos i was told I did exactly that.From the moment i gave birth to,she came out screaming like she was being flogged.I used to cry with her too.She will suck,take baby food and continue from where she stopped.I cldn't eat,cldnt do anything,was getting thinner while My baby was getting too fat dat no one believed i gave birth to her.we took her for check up,did x-ray,nothing.she's older and wiser now.let her try that now and see flogging.

Ahaaa! Your baby is a classic case. People giving advice should tell us how they would handle a baby like yours.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by tjskii(f): 4:10pm On Sep 30, 2012
maclatunji: ^I don't go as far as holding the cane. However, I lay down the law with them, I am the one in charge and the baby is the one that has to adjust. I let them no that. For those less than 1 throwing them in the air and catching back seems to do the trick and I have a unique "theme song " for every baby I help to care for which also helps.

Errr bros no vex o,but u be nannii or u dey do babysittin bizness undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by maclatunji: 4:28pm On Sep 30, 2012
tjskii:

Errr bros no vex o,but u be nannii or u dey do babysittin bizness undecided undecided

No, but I have plenty of babycare experience. And no, I don't have children yet
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by ifyalways(f): 4:40pm On Sep 30, 2012
Mac, cry no dey kill pikin, if anything na good exercise(for nice cheekbones and slender firm neck, treble voice) tongue

Seriously, ileobatojo have done all the explaining.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by maclatunji: 5:28pm On Sep 30, 2012
ifyalways: Mac, cry no dey kill pikin, if anything na good exercise(for nice cheekbones and slender firm neck, treble voice) tongue

Seriously, ileobatojo have done all the explaining.

Seriously? What about the distraction and embarrassment of a cranky baby. A baby crying non-stop is not good for the mother now even if I were to agree with your submission which I find quite strange. Yes! Their favourite occupation is to cry but not the type uyogabie described which is a good example of what I am talking about.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by dayokanu(m): 5:32pm On Sep 30, 2012
Stuff clothes in his mouth
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Sep 30, 2012
maclatunji:

For the purpose of this thread, a baby is 0-2 year old child. I know there are more than 1001 things that could be wrong with a baby and make it cry but this thread is more about babies who seem to take delight in frustrating their mother/care-givers by crying at the slightest excuse, throwing toys away, refusing to be pacified and generally constituting a nuisance.

So you are saying a baby 0-6 months old could be deliberately crying to just to frustrate their mother?

maclatunji:

Ahaaa! Your baby is a classic case. People giving advice should tell us how they would handle a baby like yours.

I doubt Ugobabe's case is the same as what you are asking. Her baby did not take delight in frustrating her from the day she was born. Her baby had colic.

Are you asking about how to handle temper tantrums? I think you should clarify your question a little more so you can get appropriate responses.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 30, 2012
dayokanu: Stuff clothes in his mouth
LOL! You wicked Dayo! Na so dem take stuff clothes for ya mouth? Haba!
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by maclatunji: 8:45pm On Sep 30, 2012
ileobatojo:

So you are saying a baby 0-6 months old could be deliberately crying to just to frustrate their mother?

I doubt Ugobabe's case is the same as what you are asking. Her baby did not take delight in frustrating her from the day she was born. Her baby had colic.

Are you asking about how to handle temper tantrums? I think you should clarify your question a little more so you can get appropriate responses.

Oh bother! You seem determined to make this discussion about clinical medicine but there's little evidence to suggest that doctors actually have a cure for what I call cranky babies and you colicky babies.

I didn't say such babies take delight in frustrating their mothers or care givers. I said they seem to. Two different things. I understand where you're coming from and what you're saying but I just don't want to go there.

By the way, I do believe babies are a lot more intelligent than we give them credit for. Let me ask you: how would you react to a baby that does the things I have described and you have found nothing wrong with medically?
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by EfemenaXY: 9:24pm On Sep 30, 2012
^^ Simple. Distract them.

You could take the child for a walk or a short drive. Could be the toddler is bored or feels cooped up inside the home.

Put on their favourite program on your laptop for them. Read a book to the child. If the weather's hot, buy some ice-cream for him / or her. But be sure to brush their teeth before bedtime though.

If that doesn't work, pick the baby up in your arms...coo / sing to him or her. Kneel down to the child's level to talk to him. Standing over him / her and shouting down at them makes you look like a giant and frightens them.

Some of these should work.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Sep 30, 2012
Efemena_xy: Standing over him / her and shouting down at them makes you look like a giant and frightens them.

This had me absolutely in stitches. grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by EfemenaXY: 11:41pm On Sep 30, 2012
^^ Bros, na so now smiley

Mac is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooooo impatient! grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by Nobody: 1:26am On Oct 01, 2012
maclatunji:
Let me ask you: how would you react to a baby that does the things I have described and you have found nothing wrong with medically?

maclatunji:

...but this thread is more about babies who seem to take delight in frustrating their mother/care-givers by crying at the slightest excuse, throwing toys away, refusing to be pacified and generally constituting a nuisance.

Exactly how I would react depends on the extent, the frequency of the behavior and what precipitates it.

Here are some general techniques for the toddler age group though assuming all these things you said happen because the child is not getting their way (which is not the same as 'for no reason');
-If a child throws their toys away in anger, they don't get it back (natural consequences)
-Use of time out. 1 min per year of age.
-Don't give in to their demands because of the crying. Be firm.
-Ignore the behavior (after making sure they are safe). Any attention, negative or positive can reinforce it.
-Respond to the behavior right away or as soon as possible. They need to associate the behavior and the discipline so it can be effective.
-Be consistent. Don't laugh at the behavior one day and get mad the other.
-Be gentle. Kids that age respond better to the firm but gentle approach than the screaming, yelling, mean approach.

You're welcome. grin
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by Kobojunkie: 3:07am On Oct 01, 2012
I have a sure solution . . have used it on babies and even adults. Not sharing though!
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by maclatunji: 6:54am On Oct 01, 2012
ileobatojo:

Exactly how I would react depends on the extent, the frequency of the behavior and what precipitates it.

Here are some general techniques for the toddler age group though assuming all these things you said happen because the child is not getting their way (which is not the same as 'for no reason');
-If a child throws their toys away in anger, they don't get it back (natural consequences)
-Ignore the behavior (after making sure they are safe). Any attention, negative or positive can reinforce it.
-Respond to the behavior right away or as soon as possible. They need to associate the behavior and the discipline so it can be effective.
-Be gentle. Kids that age respond better to the firm but gentle approach than the screaming, yelling, mean approach.

You're welcome. grin

Thank you.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by maclatunji: 7:00am On Oct 01, 2012
Efemena_xy: ^^ Bros, na so now smiley

Mac is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooooo impatient! grin grin grin

Hehehehe! I wouldn't say that, just letting the baby know that unnecessary crying and cranky behaviour will not yield positive results for it. By the way, I don't stand over them.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 01, 2012
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by maclatunji: 8:25am On Oct 01, 2012
chaircover: Are we talking toddlers or babies here? . . . . big difference.

If we are talking babies then I know the kind of ata wewe babies mac is referring to LOL. I fear those kinds of babies. They just cry and cry and cry. Some people say that its colic. Personally I cant stand babies screaming and I really do feel sorry for the mums who have to deal with this especially first time mums.

But there s light at the end of the tunnel and they all grow out of it.

All of these fancy concepts don't carry weight with me. Toddlers are just advanced infants in my estimation. Yeah! You're right about the babies you described. However, there are toddlers that show the same attributes. So, I just group them altogether. I like creating my own concepts and definitions. tongue
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by uyogabie(f): 11:40am On Oct 01, 2012
Well,i dnt knw if there was anything medically wrong with her 'cos i took her for medical check up and they said she was O.k.it might be colic,i wouldnt knw.she still cries,more than her siblings but at least i can manage her now that she is wiser.I was told I cried that way as baby,that i could cry the day and night.I was such a cry baby even uptil my Uni.days.sure it wasnt what i did to my mum that came back to hunt me.lol.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by JallowBah(f): 1:45pm On Oct 01, 2012
maclatunji:

Wuh, my kid has started doing this. Rebelling and testing the rules for what is ok, and what is not.
I simply tell her "if you want to sit down here and cry, go right ahead, I aint giving you attention.", and I turn my face, or go to the other room.
I ask her now and then "are you finished?" if she says yes, and stops, no problem, I will give her something else to focus on. If she says no and continues, I go again.

And this is only when I know she is just complaining..and when she is acting up, trying to take things and dont listen and then get angry, I hold her hands, tell her why I told her no with a firm voice, or I snap her fingers if she continues.

Works like a charm here. My kid is, for only being 1year and 9months, polite, positive, and about 90% of the time she listens.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by JallowBah(f): 1:50pm On Oct 01, 2012
ileobatojo:

You're welcome. grin

I agree 100% with you on this.

As for a baby up to 6months crying and crying..its because they need something. some babies need music, others need singing, others need a pacifier, others need to be alone, some need sleep, some wishes to get out, etc, etc.

My child had times like that, where there was no obvious reason. The only thing that helped was to either put on the tv with CNN/BBC ( with her father.. ), og that I put her on my back, dancing softly around.
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 01, 2012
maclatunji:

It's called ''The Terrible Twos'' aiyaiyai!!! I'm raising one,

I'm sleeping she'll just start to kick with her legs! she wakes up and

i have to bring her out from her crib,

It hurts so bad when she starts to kick her legs and that noise hurts my ears i want to squeez her sometimes(Aghh!!)

but it's a norm I think, it'll be over when he/she turns 4 and the tantrums will reduce gradually as he grows,

pls enjoy it, they grow very fast and you'll miss it and joke about it later.

Like my Daddy used to tell me till now( mid 30s now) ; I was the whinniest child they've ever raised and I remembered some too, I just found comfort crying without a reason whatsoever !! What a life!! Lol
Re: How Do You Manage Cranky Babies? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 01, 2012
And please no timeouts for a kid under 3yrs, it's called child abuse , they don't know what they're doing yet , it may seem like they do to you but they don't , let them throw toys away if they want, let them cry themself to sleep if they want, as long as they have a full stomach, and no fever , it's all good!

if you're worried about your messy living room and your toys.... Create a playroom where they can go wild for them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Conceive A Baby Boy / My Abortion Story / What Exactly Is The Duty Of A Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.