Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,357 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Solutions To Android Fragmentation - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Solutions To Android Fragmentation (749 Views)

Solutions To Airtel Bb Plans On Android Devices. SOS! / Transfering Contacts From Blackberry To Android. / New To Android Bundles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solutions To Android Fragmentation by LordReed(m): 2:41am On Oct 01, 2012
The Android fragmentation is a pain for many people and seems to frustrate those who should be having an easy time of making use of the OS and its ecosystem.

In this thread I want to see if we can discuss possible solutions.

I think two solutions to the fragmentation are:

1. Let the OEMs be mandated to ship stock Android on their phones by Google then offer their UI customizations as downloadable content. This would solve the update issue as all Google has to do is create the stock ROMs with hooks for the UI customizations. Everything pretty much runs as an app so this shouldn't be hard and since Google has to optimize the OS for wide range of hardware they'd be forced to make it more efficient in utilizing system resources.

2. Google should create an app zoom-er native to the OS and declare a particular size for all apps as standard for all app developers to use. The app zoom-er will scale the app to the screen size on the current hardware the app is running on.
This should help app developers cut down on the number of adjustments they have to make and possible even out the fragmentation between phones and tablets.

What is your idea?
Re: Solutions To Android Fragmentation by puskin: 3:12am On Oct 01, 2012
Lord_Reed: The Android fragmentation is a pain for many people and seems to frustrate those who should be having an easy time of making use of the OS and its ecosystem.

1. Let the OEMs be mandated to ship stock Android on their phones by Google then offer their UI customizations as downloadable content. This would solve the update issue as all Google has to do is create the stock ROMs with hooks for the UI customizations. Everything pretty much runs as an app so this shouldn't be hard and since Google has to optimize the OS for wide range of hardware they'd be forced to make it more efficient in utilizing system resources.

2. Google should create an app zoom-er native to the OS and declare a particular size for all apps as standard for all app developers to use. The app zoom-er will scale the app to the screen size on the current hardware the app is running on.
This should help app developers cut down on the number of adjustments they have to make and possible even out the fragmentation between phones and tablets.

What is your idea?

Its those UI customizations that differentiates OEMs from OEMs. Besides... UI customizations does help in selling the phone too.
Re: Solutions To Android Fragmentation by puskin: 3:19am On Oct 01, 2012
IMO...in as competition is good, the no. of OEMs that make use of Andriod should be cut down. I think they are getting beyond Google's control.
Re: Solutions To Android Fragmentation by jedisco(m): 9:40am On Oct 01, 2012
Lord_Reed: The Android fragmentation is a pain for many people and seems to frustrate those who should be having an easy time of making use of the OS and its ecosystem.

What is your idea?

The reason is simple. The official customization on Android is just too much. Worse still is that majority of them are not useful.

OEMs should be allowed to make very minimal changes to the android UI so that updates can be done easily. The rest should come with hacks and custom roms as those are won't affect the update process.

Also, Google should try and standardize the processors used just like Microsoft is doing with WP and Qualcomm. It doesn't have to be just one vendor, but they should reduce the number used.
Re: Solutions To Android Fragmentation by LordReed(m): 11:22am On Oct 01, 2012
jedisco:

The reason is simple. The official customization on Android is just too much. Worse still is that majority of them are not useful.

Official customization? I thought stock was plain vanilla UI.

OEMs should be allowed to make very minimal changes to the android UI so that updates can be done easily. The rest should come with hacks and custom roms as those are won't affect the update process.

Kool.

Also, Google should try and standardize the processors used just like Microsoft is doing with WP and Qualcomm. It doesn't have to be just one vendor, but they should reduce the number used.

Hmmm, a few of them might just decide to opt out but like Windows is run on both Intel and AMD processors can't Android handle multiple types of processors? Or shouldn't the OEM be designing their chips to handle Android exclusively?
Re: Solutions To Android Fragmentation by LordReed(m): 11:29am On Oct 01, 2012
puskin:

Its those UI customizations that differentiates OEMs from OEMs. Besides... UI customizations does help in selling the phone too.

IMO...in as competition is good, the no. of
OEMs that make use of Andriod should be
cut down. I think they are getting beyond
Google's control.

Well if the UI customizations will help sell phones they could easily make it available as free premium content download on their own hardware and as paid content for anyone else.

Reducing the number might not be a good strategy for Google's core business plan.

(1) (Reply)

Phone / Dstv Mobile Help Please / Microsoft To Launch Cheap Smartphones In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.