Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? (1219 Views)

E-commerce & How To Make Money Online → Logistics & Order Fulfillment / Free German Dual Vocational Training-lagos Chamber Of Commerce / Why Don't We Have Professional Female Drivers As Many As Male Drivers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? by SirGbogs: 9:56am On Oct 01, 2012
Happy new month and happy independence day first off.

Fellow nairalanders, I'm carrying out a survey online, and I'd like to get as many responses possible.
In Nigeria today, e-commerce is not a relatively new thing, and with all its vast advantages and all, most Nigerians online do not make use of home-based e-commerce sites and yet are comfortable making purchases from sites like Amazon. The hope is that with these cashless policies spring up, more people will embrace online tranctions. In view of this, I'd like you to please answer the following questions.

1. Have you ever bought anything in Nigeria online from a Nigerian site?
2. If yes, what made you make the purchase online and from that particular site instead of physically?
3. If no, why haven't you made any purchases fron Nigerian e-commerce sites so far?
Why don't Nigerians like using e-commerce sites?

@moderator, front page please. Thank you
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? by SirGbogs: 1:00pm On Oct 01, 2012
C'mon guys, I need responses.
Moderator, please frontpage
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? by Sammy107d(m): 8:53am On Oct 02, 2012
Nigerians use a lot.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? by Jamji: 11:08am On Oct 02, 2012
if you want you to take over amazon, its about going to the grassroots and talking to the average man about your project. a friend just gave up being an agent of one lagos ecommerce company because they werent doing enough to promote themselves locally or making an effort to campaign their product on the streets, so it will be difficult for him to urge people to use it.

Yes
2. If yes, what made you make the purchase online and from that particular site instead of physically?
the security of the payment mode
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? by Ufeolorun(m): 1:01pm On Oct 02, 2012
The issue here is confidence,No matter the policies and adverts placed about electronic transaction,if people are not confident about the process they won't use it.
1 Am I gonna get what was advertised
2Am gonna get it delivered on time as agreed.
3 Can I change my mind and get my money back. Money back guarantee isn't just a slogan,you need to have a concrete,believable money back arrangement
4 time frame to sort out any of the above issues if they arise especially 1 and 3
If you can develop a framework which answer all these questions then you r well on your way.
Ebay,detailed specification, feed back system and the paypal are the biggest reason I shop on ebay with ease.
I only buy stuffs directly from Amazon(mostly books) cos I am not really comfortable with the structure of their trading platform.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? by SirGbogs: 4:22pm On Oct 03, 2012
Sammy107_d: Nigerians use a lot.

Alright, I'll check it out. Have you used it? If yes, why that and not other sites like awoofshop.com, etc.

Jamji: if you want you to take over amazon, its about going to the grassroots and talking to the average man about your project. a friend just gave up being an agent of one lagos ecommerce company because they werent doing enough to promote themselves locally or making an effort to campaign their product on the streets, so it will be difficult for him to urge people to use it.

Yes
the security of the payment mode

Security of the payment mode, that is a very vital aspect of any e-commerce site. What made you sure of its security?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? by SirGbogs: 4:25pm On Oct 03, 2012
Ufeolorun: The issue here is confidence,No matter the policies and adverts placed about electronic transaction,if people are not confident about the process they won't use it.
1 Am I gonna get what was advertised
2Am gonna get it delivered on time as agreed.
3 Can I change my mind and get my money back. Money back guarantee isn't just a slogan,you need to have a concrete,believable money back arrangement
4 time frame to sort out any of the above issues if they arise especially 1 and 3
If you can develop a framework which answer all these questions then you r well on your way.
Ebay,detailed specification, feed back system and the paypal are the biggest reason I shop on ebay with ease.
I only buy stuffs directly from Amazon(mostly books) cos I am not really comfortable with the structure of their trading platform.
That's very helpful, thank you.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? by SirGbogs: 4:27pm On Oct 03, 2012
Please more replies guys..
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? by Mustay(m): 9:24pm On Oct 10, 2012
Why don't Nigerians like using e- commerce sites?

If e-commerce is what I know it for, then that question is 200-ish then. Why we have not tapped into it as one would have expected better suits your enquiry.
Anyway, one particular issue in using Amazon isntead of a Nigerian Mama's Son are SECURITY + MISTRUST in online deals.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 11, 2012
You make it look like u already believe that Nigerians dont like ecommerce... the society is still evolving abeg. . .
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? by bigx(m): 5:28am On Oct 12, 2012
I use ecommerce a lot, but only when Ive seen good references. Though generally, online support in Nigeria is an apology
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like Using E-commerce? by Insanity(m): 1:07pm On Oct 13, 2012
Aliexpress.com is a really good site for online purchase. They have a very good discount rate, refund, and buyers rate sellers so you can easily deal with sellers with good rating. You can also chat with the sellers to describe what you really want. You can easily select the mode of delivery that is best for you and you will will be told if the buyer cannot deliver to youя location. Cool site!

(1) (Reply)

Monthly Salary-Snr Banking Officer (SBO), Asst Mgr (AM) & Dep Mgr In Union Bank / The Nigerian Custom Service / Urgent Vacancies At An Energy Services Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.