Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,953 members, 7,821,346 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

NIGERIA @ 52: Citizens Bare Their Minds-youth.com - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / NIGERIA @ 52: Citizens Bare Their Minds-youth.com (709 Views)

Arabian Big Boys Intimidate London's Citizens With Their Million Dollar Cars / Photo-meet The Man Who Can Fry Chicken With His Bare Hands / After 19 Years Of Marriage, 52-year-old Woman Finally Gives Birth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NIGERIA @ 52: Citizens Bare Their Minds-youth.com by Youthcom(f): 3:26pm On Oct 03, 2012
Independence anniversaries are traditionally marked with pomp and ceremony. But Nigerians are not rolling out the drums as the nation marked 52 years of nationhood on October 1.

Nigeria’s Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, had said this year’s programme was low-keyed – just as it was the case last year. After the bomb blast incident that marred the 2010 independence ceremonies at the Eagle Square, Abuja, the federal government has since refrained from putting up elaborate celebration for the anniversary.

The bloodletting by the Boko Haram sect, which has worsened security in the land, has not helped matters too. The government was understandably being cautious; though it has given the excuse the low-key celebration was part of its agenda of being prudent with resources.

But beyond the security scare, many Nigerians hardly see any reason to cheer about their country’s birthday. Some, however, feel all hope is not lost.

Youthng.com went to town to gauge the feelings of citizens as Nigeria marks 52 years as an independent country. Their responses below, were varied: “Each time you observe things in Nigeria and compare them with what happens elsewhere, it reminds you of that quote from Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart, about giants and limbs. Our country indeed is like a giant walking with the limbs of a mosquito.”– Nkrumah Bankong-Obi, journalist and poet

Kashif Jones-Laguda, CEO, Nigerian Carnival UK: “My everyday wishes for NIGERIA are;
I wish I can say thank God Nigerians are SAFER than yesterday. I wish I can say thank God Nigerians are HEALTHIER than yesterday. I wish I can say thank God Nigerians are RICHER than yesterday. I wish I can say thank God Nigerians are more EDUCATED than yesterday. I wish I can say thank God Nigerians are more RESOURCEFUL than yesterday.
I wish I can say thank God Nigerians are HAPPIER than yesterday. I wish I can say thank God Nigerians are more UNITED than yesterday. I wish I can say thank God Nigerians are more RESPECTFUL of each other than yesterday. I wish I can say thank God Nigerians are HAPPIER than yesterday. I wish for my children/grandchildren to see a BETTER Nigeria. I wish I can wake up tomorrow and thank our leaders for making Nigeria a better place. I wish every Nigerian will do their part to lift the country’s image. I wish Nigeria is a better place to live. I wish God bless my beloved motherland, NIGERIA! Happy 52nd Anniversary to the most blessed nation on Earth.”

Adekunle Ayeni, CEO, BlackHouse Media Group: “Nigeria is a great, blessed country. Things may appear to be slow, and a lot might currently be wrong, but we are destined for greatness. And I see that happening in a matter of years.
Few opportunists have held millions to ransom for years, but that cannot continue for long. We must work hard to make sure the worst of us do not continue to lead and rule over the best of us. If we all play our roles, as responsible citizens, in our various day to day activities, and if we hold public office holders more accountable, I see our fortunes changing. We have the numbers, and the resources. It’s just for us to stop fitting round pegs into square holes.”

Portia Yamahan, actress and The Next Movie Star Winner: Aspiration is what the common man holds unto in Nigeria. It is common to hear the word; “E go better” because Nigeria is filled with potentials yet unfulfilled agendas/promises.
At times, one can get tired of singing songs of lamentations. Can’t we just have someone with a ‘one point agenda’ and make it happen for once? But never worry because ‘E go better.’ I totally agree with a friend’s idea of a better Nigeria which is that of subsidize production not consumption. But anyway, my advise to people is not worry as I believe that Nigeria would be better very shortly.”

Kevin Pam Chuwang, Big Brother Revolution 2009 Winner: “I think my aspirations and of other Nigerians still remain the hope for a better future that has since been expected. A change to the system that has almost become an unchangeable standard”

Emem Ema, artiste manager and former member of KUSH: “I hope this 52nd anniversary will be the beginning of a NEW beginning for Nigeria. I expected that we shall have a country with a ray of hope for the future generation. I aspire for a Nigeria that is full of promises and a bright future, constant power supply, security, good health system, infrastructure and conducive environment to do business.”

Emeka Oparah, Director, Corporate Communications & CSR, Airtel Bhartel: “At 52, Nigeria has not made serious progress, considering the abundance of human and natural resources. Metaphorically, the country is like a stunted child, showing retarded growth and no potential for improvement. The abject paucity of national infrastructure and lack of vision due to poor leadership has worsened the situation. I hope 2015 provides Nigeria another opportunity for a rebirth and the emergence of credible leaders and visioners who will take Nigeria to greatness. I am very unhappy with the way we are because things are worse today than when I was younger.”

Alariwo, Afrobeat musician: “As much as I want to wish all Nigerians happy independence, I wish to see a New Nigeria with constant light, free education at all levels, corruption eliminated from our entire system, good roads and most of all, a prayer for good leaders...youthng.com

(1) (Reply)

Describe Yourselves In One Word / Kemi Olunloyo's Warning To Bloggers / Some Nigerian's Mental Reasoning That Needs Urgent Attention!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.