Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,266 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' (12279 Views)

Rivers Assembly Summons Amaechi’s Aides, Board Chairman / National Assembly Summons Emergency Meeting Live / Lagos Assembly Summons Airtel Over Alleged Sack Of Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by Idileke: 9:40am On Oct 04, 2012
Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Malam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi has said that the incessant summons on him to appear before different committees of the National Assembly were becoming too much to bear.

Speaking when he appeared before the House of Representatives Joint Committees on Finance, Legislative Budget and Research, National Planning and Aids, Loans and Debt Management over the 2013-2015 Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) and the Fiscal Strategy Paper (FSP) yesterday in Abuja, Sanusi said that no previous CBN governor had been so frequently invited like him. He told his hosts that his itineraries were being obstructed.
“I don’t think there has been any CBN governor that has been brought here (the National Assembly) as much as me. I have even offered to be moved, or open my annex office here. Nobody asks me how my itineraries are before inviting me.”

The CBN governor was responding to observations made by a member of the panel, and chairman of the House Committee on Legislative Budget and Research, Rep. Opeyemi Bamidele (ACN, Ekiti) who wanted to know why it was always difficult for the CBN governor to honour their invitation without making an issue out of it, or refusing to come at the appropriate date and time.

Sanusi was to appear before the joint committee on Tuesday but some high ranking officers of the CBN went instead, only to be turned back by the legislators who insisted that the CBN governor makes a personal appearance. He told the committee yesterday that he was not aware of the invitation.

Lead chairman of the joint committees Rep Abdulmumin Jibrin (PDP, Kano), said the panel had to insist that Sanusi appears in person because the Central Bank plays a very important role in the overall economic decisions of government.

“You must come and explain things to help our understanding of the fundamentals of our economic decisions,” Rep Jibrin said.

“You don’t devalue the institution of the National Assembly because it will outlive all of us.”

Sanusi then stroke a joke, saying he envied Rep. Abdulmumin’s position as the chairman of the committee because it wields a lot of powers, and that when he retires as CBN governor, he may consider contesting election for the House of Representatives.

Just yesterday the Senate also summoned the CBN Governor alongside the minister of finance Dr Igozi Okonjo-Iweala and the Accountant General of the Federation for allegedly withholding funds meant for the Petroluem Technology Development Fund.

The apex bank’s boss also denied having any rift with the National Assembly as being insinuated in some quotas saying, “I don’t have problem with you.”

It would be recalled that in 2010 Sanusi raised the alarm when he delivered a lecture at the University of Benin in which he said National Assembly members get 25 percent of Federal Government’s overhead vote.

The submission appeared to have marked the beginning of a very frosty relationship between him and the national legislators who are currently working on a bill to whittle down powers of the CBN governor.

Last year, the House also summoned Sanusi over the controversial cashless policy and the introduction of the non-interest banking system. However, Sanusi insisted and went ahead with the policies.

Also, in February this year, the CBN boss refused to submit the apex bank’s annual budget estimate to the National Assembly for legislative scrutiny as provided for by law.

He rather wrote a letter to the House committee on Banking and Currency on 10th February 2012, informing it that the National Assembly had donated its appropriation powers to the CBN board in the CBN Act of 2007 and as such he does not require the approval of the legislature to pass his budget.

Infuriated by Sanusi’s comments, the legislators increased their momentum to curtail the powers of the CBN by initiating amendments to the CBN Act 2007 to insert clauses that will compel the apex bank to forward its annual budget to the parliament. The amendment bills have since passed second reading in both Senate and House of Representatives.

As if that was not enough, during the investigative hearing on the “near collapse” of the Nigerian capital market by an ad-hoc committee led by Rep. Ibrahim Tukur El-Sudi (PDP, Taraba), Sanusi again, refused to submit some documents requested by the panel arguing that the law does not compel him to do so.

Consequently, the committee recommended that he be charged to court for contempt of parliament. The report was adopted by the House in plenary on July 19th 2012. However, implementation lies squarely on the table of the President, who Sanusi work for.

Last month, the two chambers also banged their legislative hammer on the botched N5000 note and currency restructuring proposed by the CBN when they passed resolutions on September 18th asking President Jonathan to stop him from printing and issuing the new note. The president fainally acceded to the demand and suspended the plan.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/other-sections/lead-stories/178177-im-tired-of-nassembly-summons-sanusi

1 Like

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by IleIfe2(m): 9:48am On Oct 04, 2012
Then resign.

7 Likes

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by Biggyd2: 9:52am On Oct 04, 2012
Why would he honor their invitation? Is he not the one that is above all laws in the country? undecided. Hope his subordinates respond to him the same way. This guy's wings should be clipped whilst they can because power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

3 Likes

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by Forester45(m): 10:02am On Oct 04, 2012
Evry tin is to make sure that Nigeria moves forward. They should reduce his powers. Its becoming unbearable.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by Kx: 10:33am On Oct 04, 2012
Just wondering.
Can Ben Bernanke say this to the America Congress?
Even when he was in First Bank, did he not have a Board that he reported to?
He does not want anybody to review his work, little wonder why he said Nigerians were wasting time talking about him during the N5000 note saga.
Why dont he resign and go into nomadic farming if he wants no one to play oversight roles to his job?

9 Likes

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by PaulJohn1: 10:34am On Oct 04, 2012
Forester45: Evry tin is to make sure that Nigeria moves forward. They should reduce his powers. Its becoming unbearable.

If possible to the minimum level. Never knew CBN governor has so much power until this mallam came in.
I think the power is entering his head.
If possible he should be sacked, he is a bloody tribalist

1 Like

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by mamikky: 3:01pm On Oct 04, 2012
why being tired of National Assembly Summons...... i wonder .... so long it's calls to move the country forward and perhaps beneficial it. SLS should know it is part of the price you pay for a call to serve.
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by taharqa: 3:04pm On Oct 04, 2012
Hahahaha....i don tire
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by inspirenet: 3:11pm On Oct 04, 2012
I could only imagine
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by martyns303(m): 4:09pm On Oct 04, 2012
Sir ur being summon consistently cos no other Governor as been acting insanely as you.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by chasy16(f): 4:10pm On Oct 04, 2012
Then let him resign.
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 04, 2012
i think the CBN Governor is articulate, Bold and knows his Job, do you expect him τ̅☺ be Timid or timorous, or yellow in character? So he can be easily manipulated and the NA can always influence him τ̅☺ the Nations detriment?
Abeg free the Guy....Sanusi Carry Go
We All Have Powers, But τ̅☺ a specific level.

8 Likes

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by manny4life(m): 4:11pm On Oct 04, 2012
More so, he's tired of covering his tracks, who said defending false economic policies wasn't a BIG responsibility? Simple - RESIGN grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by chucky234(m): 4:18pm On Oct 04, 2012
What a beetle-headed Islamic scholar, a plagiarist who has done more harm to this country than all the past CBN governors combined still got the gut to question the Reps why he is the most summoned CBN governor.
That incompetent goon should be kicked out of government.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by Okijajuju1(m): 4:19pm On Oct 04, 2012
Sanusi no vex o!! They only summon you because they have run out of names for committees to look into your sector..

1 Like

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 04, 2012
Quote from movie Spiderman 1:

With great power also comes great responsibility

Sanusi if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by odehaj: 4:26pm On Oct 04, 2012
RESIGN then!sorry,Nigerians don't resign. Its not in their blood. From the President to the cleaner. Except sacked by death.
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by Kslib(m): 4:27pm On Oct 04, 2012
Mallam sanusi,you are being summoned cos you are too stubborn....
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by CastleandGreen: 4:27pm On Oct 04, 2012
Crooks and clueless Rep members who don't have any fore knowledge of what financial institution is. Rep sanusi is too sound for all of you house members.

7 Likes

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by aare07(m): 4:31pm On Oct 04, 2012
who cares
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by aare07(m): 4:35pm On Oct 04, 2012
aare07: who cares
National Assembly should use Niccolo Machiavelli political view on Him- Don't(NASS) ask for his Impose on Him(Sanusi)
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by cold(m): 4:35pm On Oct 04, 2012
See how they have all pitched tents with the reps because Sanusi is involved. Tommorrow when another topic makes the headlines they'll immediately turn on the reps. Labelling them thieves,corrupt,ole & everything in between.

These reps are just a muscle flexing bunch who needs their egos massaged from time to time to portray some sense of relevance. They can hardly be taken seriously

5 Likes

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by spiderstone: 4:40pm On Oct 04, 2012
Bunch ofRogues and Thieves......they should allow the man carry out his function without disturbances,Sanusi knows their weaknesses,he is well informed about their shady deals,he undesrtand fully all unscroupulous practices of the House of Assembly Thieves....so how do you want him to respect them...What pedigree do they have to challenge Sanusi..Bunch of School cert holders and falsified degree holders....Sanusi is strict and doesnt want any slowpoke to challenge his intelligence.

2 Likes

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by Standing5(m): 4:41pm On Oct 04, 2012
After he exposed them and almost got some senators killed in Ibadan during the subsidy struggle.
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by ticom(m): 4:53pm On Oct 04, 2012
Who is to be blamed, the national assembly that is now witch-hunting their enemies (Executives) or the arrogant Sanusi?
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by pendusky(m): 4:56pm On Oct 04, 2012
Atention sport Mods, pls priortize Nigeria vs France its Live nw.
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 04, 2012
Between the NASS' members and SLS, I do not know who is/are the lesser vector of arrogance. But seriously, this is the beauty of Democracy!
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by ifeomabernard(f): 5:01pm On Oct 04, 2012
pDude: Quote from movie Spiderman 1:

Well saıd
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by siddiq202(m): 5:09pm On Oct 04, 2012
“I don’t think there has been any CBN governor that has been brought here (the National Assembly) as much as me. I have even offered to be moved, or open my annex office here. Nobody asks me how my itineraries are before inviting me.”
Except if he's lying. if not he has the right to complain.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by mmmustapha(m): 5:11pm On Oct 04, 2012
House assemble n senate r all criminals, they want to control which he refuse,carry go Dan majen kanawa Allah yaima sarkin kano

5 Likes

Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by siddiq202(m): 5:12pm On Oct 04, 2012
Forester45: Evry tin is to make sure that Nigeria moves forward. They should reduce his powers. Its becoming unbearable.
why should they reduce the CBN power now The last time I checked the "powers" has been given to anybody that emerge has the CBN Governor before he assume office. so why now
Re: Sanusi - 'Tired Of National Assembly Summons ' by siddiq202(m): 5:13pm On Oct 04, 2012
pDude: Quote from movie Spiderman 1:

which heat

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NURTW Leader Tokyo Arrested In Ibadan / See The Lists Of States In Nigeria Wanted By Biafra Agitators / Osinbajo Meets Bagudu & Rice & Wheat Farmers Association Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.