Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad (8817 Views)

Andy Uba's Daughter Called To Bar (Photo) / Fashola’s Son, Demola, Called To Bar In Abuja (photos) / Senate To Get New Nominee For Oyo - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Idokojimmy: 1:20pm On Oct 05, 2012
The Senate yesterday backed a bill that would prevent children of public officials in the country from schooling abroad. Senators agreed that the bill, tagged “Constitution of the Federal Republic

of Nigeria 1999 (Further Alteration) Bill 2012, was a patriotic call for sacrifice to restore confidence to the nation’s educational sector. The Senate resolved that the bill be passed second time

and referred to the Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu-led Senate Committee on Constitution Review. In his lead debate, the sponsor of the bill, Senator Basheer Garba Mohamme

(PDP, Kano Central) explained that bill sought to amend the constitution in a manner to discourage public officials from sending their children and wards to schools abroad.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news/178272-senate-to-bar-public-officials-children-from-schooling-abroad

1 Like

Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Martini101(m): 1:25pm On Oct 05, 2012
I doubt if they 'll sign this into law.

1 Like

Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 05, 2012
Йą dem go still break †ЂΞ stupid law as usual. Dnt mind dem.

2 Likes

Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Martini101(m): 1:27pm On Oct 05, 2012
[color=#990000][/color] i so much doubt if they 'll sign it into law!
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by HammedSodiqq: 1:28pm On Oct 05, 2012
Na them talk am, e go beta
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Ayoko007: 1:46pm On Oct 05, 2012
HammedSodiqq: Na them talk am, e go beta
they will never sign dat bill,they no the standard of education is nothing to write home yet they pay lip services to d sector ,
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by k2039: 2:21pm On Oct 05, 2012
Wetin day wrong with our senators,demonic think say we be fool or Wetin.
Na today dem don day make dis kind noise,no b so dem say about political office holders,na Wetin be d outcome.
ABeg,a ti wadi won,iro la ba ni ibe

1 Like

Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by HammedSodiqq: 2:30pm On Oct 05, 2012
All the same lets pray and hope that this becomes law. This will make them develop and upgrade our schools to international standards.

1 Like

Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by spendogram: 4:43pm On Oct 05, 2012
So, what happens if your child is already in a school abroad before you become a public officials?Withdraw him/her? These guys are just wasting Nigerians' time rather than discuss real issues and real solutions.

1 Like

Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by MurphyT1: 5:07pm On Oct 05, 2012
this affects them directly, i dnt c d possibility...the r trying to play a fast one on nigerians

1 Like

Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by bubadaniel13: 5:08pm On Oct 05, 2012
Let the bill start with their children....
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by LFJ: 9:27pm On Oct 05, 2012
It is clear now that these criminals don't have better thing to do. So because you are a public officer your children should not exercise their fundamental human right again. Make the law that will help our education to grow but not to denial ppl their right. Make law to punish those who steal our money and not assume that everybody in government that send their children abroad to study is a thief.

2 Likes

Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Rossikk(m): 9:32pm On Oct 05, 2012
^^Some of you just criticise and insult stup.idly without thinking. Just because it's Nigeria you think you can criticise. I bet if this same policy had emanated from CHINA now, you will be here singing their praises, and castigating Nigerian govt for not following suit. Just learn to SHUT IT when you've nothing to say.

11 Likes

Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by princenonny(m): 9:36pm On Oct 05, 2012
This is a welcme development from our dear senators and hopefully dis law wud b passed soon. Even though we r sceptical that the law won't b adhered to, i am very confident dat we in the social media wud make sure dis law wud b obeyed cos we r ready to make life uncomfortable for any child of public officials dat is schooling abroad

1 Like

Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Aderostock(m): 7:46am On Oct 06, 2012
I laugh in my yoruba dialect grin angry grin grin
Awon oloriburuku! Criminals
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Smooyis(m): 10:29am On Oct 06, 2012
Whao! Our senate are becoming more responsive and responsible. Lets pray for God to strenghten them in doing what is right. Hoping to see the bill signed. Bravo

2 Likes

Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by CrazyMan(m): 2:04pm On Oct 06, 2012
A good developement if you ask me.

But emm...let's see how it goes.
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by safarigirl(f): 2:05pm On Oct 06, 2012
**I laff so tey i dance azonto***Which Senate? Naija own abi na ghana own? That bill will remain in limbo till thy kingdom come. Until the bill is passed...*pass me the lighter, make I smoke something o jare***
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by eledalo: 2:05pm On Oct 06, 2012
As with everything in this country, tell me when its done and passed - not when some douche 'plans to'
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Toks2008(m): 2:09pm On Oct 06, 2012
I thaught this should make the front page several months ago.
https://www.nairaland.com/986409/bill-prohibition-nigerian-public-officials
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by lafuria1(m): 2:09pm On Oct 06, 2012
this na wash..... whats happens when they are no more public officials ie resign or dropped... look, cant they improve the education sector without this law, will stoping the wards of public officials going abroad increase education budget for the year. these senators are good at buying peoples sentiment because we have to ask how will the law affect the education sector positively and not just senator son is also in uniabuja for example.
i remember kano state sponsoring its citizen to school abroad recently, will the bill stop that as well.. if the senators are really sincere, they know what to do.
a loophole, what if the uncle of the public official son is the one sponsoring the education....to me i want to know the adavantage of this bill to our education sector.
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by pingo(m): 2:10pm On Oct 06, 2012
grin ;E be like say dem want to do another deceiving again o!!! ;E ;E ;E ;E ;E grin
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 06, 2012
Nonsense! usless stuuupid crazy law ! that has no meaning !
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by ujukala: 2:14pm On Oct 06, 2012
It is a good development if it can be initiated.
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by specialguest(f): 2:17pm On Oct 06, 2012
Aderostock: I laugh in my yoruba dialect grin angry grin grin
Awon oloriburuku! Criminals

I laugh in queen"s english cheesy if the bill sails through that means they will import the lecturer"s instead of exporting their kids.. If I may ask what is the motive behind this kind of bill?

I mean its not as if most of them personally pay for their kids to study abroad, they just hijack the scholarships from ptdf,min of edu,nddc, and other grants we don't even know exist and give to their “practically“ dull children.

3 Likes

Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Kslib(m): 2:18pm On Oct 06, 2012
Nice developement,but Our senators made sure their children finished schooling abroad before passing this bill.. They also know they've finished producing kids and most of their kids are already grown-up since the senators themselves are old men... This will only affect furture senators to come... Good development though
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by AkinDavid2: 2:18pm On Oct 06, 2012
Na today...I beg!!! i wan do something tangible grin
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by KayDee4: 2:20pm On Oct 06, 2012
Ridiculous!!! but looks good on paper and what will be the follow up to that ?
Just stopping them from sending their children to school abroad may sound like a good first step but doesn't solve the problem, the next step will be decisive.

It will count for nought if they sign it into law and still allot peanuts to the education sector in the budget.
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Nobody: 2:25pm On Oct 06, 2012
But wait. . .Barring them from sending their kids to schools abroad on their own money?

Rather than seek ways to revive the already failing educational system.
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by SlyIg(f): 2:26pm On Oct 06, 2012
la furia: this na wash..... whats happens when they are no more public officials ie resign or dropped... look, cant they improve the education sector without this law, will stoping the wards of public officials going abroad increase education budget for the year. these senators are good at buying peoples sentiment because we have to ask how will the law affect the education sector positively and not just senator son is also in uniabuja for example.
i remember kano state sponsoring its citizen to school abroad recently, will the bill stop that as well.. if the senators are really sincere, they know what to do.
a loophole, what if the uncle of the public official son is the one sponsoring the education....to me i want to know the adavantage of this bill to our education sector.
Its simply one step at a time. When their children are involved in Nigeria educational system,they must look into it affairs. So if they can pass the law,its a welcoming development i think.
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by Iolo(m): 2:29pm On Oct 06, 2012
GEJs kids school in Nigeria. Same goes for Fashola and a couple other govs. A lot of these guys use local schls than we think.
Re: Senate To Bar Public Official's Children From Schooling Abroad by doctokwus: 2:29pm On Oct 06, 2012
This is Stu-pidi-ty taken to a whole new level by supposed adults.To know dat somepeople dnt seem d utter futility of such a proposal is shocking.So bc am a NASS member I shd deprive my kids frm exposure abroad(not necessarily a far better education) to equip dem for tomorrow's world?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon / USA Security Agents Meet With Danbazzau (video) / The Difference Between Obio/akpor And PH Lgas 95% Don't Know About

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.