Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,814 members, 7,862,707 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 12:19 AM

NL Monthly Political Debate - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NL Monthly Political Debate (50269 Views)

Ifeanyi Uba Caught Cheating In Anambra Political Debate. / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate / Gov Orji Walks Out Of Political Debate!can It Affect His Election? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Ikengawo: 9:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
Im against it. someone put me down as against it.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 17, 2012
I wil be a clapping spectator on this one grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 9:39am On Oct 18, 2012
HNosegbe: I'd really like to read arguments against an SNC. Tick tock...

Patience my dear, patience grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by gidiMonsta(m): 10:53am On Oct 18, 2012
TOPIC FOR OCTOBER
FIRST ROUND - 1914 AMALGAMATION - A HISTORICAL MISTAKE?
FINAL ROUND - SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE - ULTIMATE PANACEA TO NIGERIA'S PROBLEMS?

I'm confused here angry If I say It's not a historical mistake, is that FOR or AGAINST?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 12:04pm On Oct 18, 2012
gidiMonsta:

I'm confused here angry If I say It's not a historical mistake, is that FOR or AGAINST?

AGAINST
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by otokx(m): 1:28pm On Oct 18, 2012
In view of the public holiday can the debate lines be opened early from October 26

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Katsumoto: 2:10pm On Oct 18, 2012
Jarus: OK. We have enough endorsements already. I declare the topic settled. We are debating SNC.

TOPIC FOR OCTOBER
FINAL ROUND - SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE - ULTIMATE PANACEA TO NIGERIA'S PROBLEMS?

DATE:
First round: Saturday, October 27, 2012
Final round: Sunday, October 28, 2012

DEBATERS:
To be decided latest Sunday, October 21
Express your interest and after scrutiny, we shall settle for 4 Nairalanders, 2 opposing, 2 supporting.

NOTE:
This is based on conviction/ideology, not just a make-believe position only for debate purpose.
In the first round, they will be paired, and the two winners square up for finals.

Hey Jarus,

What happens if the two finalists for the final round have the same position with regards to the final round topic? Using the theme adopted for the debates, it may be unfair to make one of them argue against their positions.

Having said that, it is allowed in debate for all sides to argue either for or against a position and a winner is still selected based on the criteria selected for the debate.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:13pm On Oct 18, 2012
Katsumoto:

Hey Jarus,

What happens if the two finalists for the final round have the same position with regards to the final round topic? Using the theme adopted for the debates, it may be unfair to make one of them argue against their positions.

Having said that, it is allowed in debate for all sides to argue either for or against a position and a winner is still selected based on the criteria selected for the debate.
How about taking the best "for" to go against the best "against" argument?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Katsumoto: 2:25pm On Oct 18, 2012
Chrisbenogor:
How about taking the best "for" to go against the best "against" argument?

But they will be debating a different topic in the final.

Second, in debate, teams arguing the same position can both be judged winners against teams arguing a different position. Winners are selected based on the criteria and not position taken.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:37pm On Oct 18, 2012
Katsumoto:

But they will be debating a different topic in the final.

Second, in debate, teams arguing the same position can both be judged winners against teams arguing a different position. Winners are selected based on the criteria and not position taken.
OH! darn your right. Well I am confused a bit, if I were to argue that it was a historical mistake I think I would also tend to argue that the SNC is needed. Its also possible to argue that for in the first and against in the second.
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by cheddarking(m): 10:02am On Oct 19, 2012
I'm happy to argue for the Motion.

Jarus please let me know any further developments...
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by OAM4J: 5:51pm On Oct 21, 2012
Sorry guys been away for a while. Now back.

So far...

JUDGING CRITERIA:

1, Presentation(opening, flow, closing) - 4 marks
2, Logic of arguments - 4 marks
3, Strength of facts & examples - 4 marks
4, Persuasiveness - 4 marks
5, Demonstration of knowledge/understanding of the subject - 4 marks

Total score from a judge = 20, from 5 judges = 100

TOPIC FOR OCTOBER

DATE:

... more volunteers for the debate please
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Afam4eva(m): 5:53pm On Oct 21, 2012
WE're making progress...
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by nduchucks: 7:34pm On Oct 21, 2012
OAM4J: Sorry guys been away for a while. Now back.

So far...

JUDGING CRITERIA:

What happened to this earlier decision, particularly the bolded?

jarus:
That will bring our judging criteria to 7, at 5 maximum point per criteria, that will come to 35 points(70%), audience poll will take 15 marks(30%). Polls shall be on for just 1 hour, so only those viewing the debate live can participate because we need to annouce results at the end of the exercise, which we are envisaging should be between 2-3 hours.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 7:37pm On Oct 21, 2012
ndu_chucks:

They will be subsumed into the 5 criteria. .
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 8:50pm On Oct 21, 2012
OAM4J: Sorry guys been away for a while. Now back.

So far...

JUDGING CRITERIA:

TOPIC FOR OCTOBER

DATE:

... more volunteers for the debate please

OAM,

I dont know anybody that will say the 1914 amalgamation is a blessing. So why is it even a topic of debate? It will be nice to have contestans open on that historical note....but anyone presenting it as a blessing is doomed to lose.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by PaulJohn1: 8:52pm On Oct 21, 2012
From
https://www.nairaland.com/1081002/nairaland-political-debate-oct-2012

Jarus: TOPICS -
FIRST ROUND: The 1914 amalgamation of the northern and southern protectorates - a historical mistake?
FINAL ROUND: Sovereign National Conference (SNC) - way to go?

Mod, at the beginning of this thread you stated that
Jarus:
Sure, sensitive and emotional topics will be avoided.

But seriously, I don't think you're keeping to your word.
The topic of this month which is:
The 1914 amalgamation of the northern and southern protectorates - a historical mistake?

How on earth do you think this topic won't lead to exchange of words due to "sensitive and emotional" discussion that might arise as the topic role?!

At a time that hatred has been heated up just because of a novel written by a prof.

Do you want to prove this topic would be debated without the mentioning of the civil war, the starvation and other delicate matters that shouldn't be brought up due to it's sensitivity and sadness it might cause readers.

There are millions of topics that can be discussed and would attract great traffic if this is the hidden agender the topic is all about.
Topic like this takes hatred and discrimination to a greater height.
No one is saying history should be forgotten, but the ones that seems delicate should be avoided
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by OAM4J: 9:04pm On Oct 21, 2012
ndu_chucks:

It will be very difficult to capture audience votes. The polls are currently not working.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by OAM4J: 9:15pm On Oct 21, 2012
Paul John: From
https://www.nairaland.com/1081002/nairaland-political-debate-oct-2012

Mod, at the beginning of this thread you stated that

But seriously, I don't think you're keeping to your word.
The topic of this month which is:

How on earth do you think this topic won't lead to exchange of words due to "sensitive and emotional" discussion that might arise as the topic role?!

At a time that hatred has been heated up just because of a novel written by a prof.

Do you want to prove this topic would be debated without the mentioning of the civil war, the starvation and other delicate matters that shouldn't be brought up due to it's sensitivity and sadness it might cause readers.

There are millions of topics that can be discussed and would attract great traffic if this is the hidden agender the topic is all about.
Topic like this takes hatred and discrimination to a greater height.
No one is saying history should be forgotten, but the ones that seems delicate should be avoided

While we appreciate your criticisms, what we meant by 'sensitive topics' are topics that put an ethnic group against another and not 'sensitive topics' that affect the whole country. We cannot change our past, but sometimes we need to honestly analyse our past to formulate a good future for ourselves, that is the aim of debating such topic.

2 Likes

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by PaulJohn1: 9:34pm On Oct 21, 2012
^^
Wow! Really?
OAM4J:

...what we meant by 'sensitive topics' are topics that put an ethnic group against another and not 'sensitive topics' that affect the whole country...

And this topic won't?

OAM4J:
...We cannot change our past, but sometimes we need to honestly analyse our past to formulate a good future for ourselves, that is the aim of debating such topic.

Ofcourse we can't change our past

Part in bold; this is not the first time this particular topic has been debated(although not in an organized way that involves you mods) and the end is not worth mentioning, which does not seem to "have formulated a good future" has you've stated.

NB: just my thought.
Whichever way, it's just an online forum.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 10:30pm On Oct 21, 2012
Paul John: ^^
Wow! Really?

And this topic won't?

Ofcourse we can't change our past

Part in bold; this is not the first time this particular topic has been debated(although not in an organized way that involves you mods) and the end is not worth mentioning, which does not seem to "have formulated a good future" has you've stated.

NB: just my thought.
Whichever way, it's just an online forum.
Thanks for your thought, but we dont consider that topic sensitive. And if you look at the debaters they are from same part of the country , so this is not an ethnic clash.

If the debaters do their homework well, this topic also tends to be very educative. A lot of facts will be dug up and we will all learn or refresh our knowledge.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by SisiKill1: 10:49pm On Oct 21, 2012
Only someone who is naturally "sensitive" and sees everything though ethnic colored lenses will find the proposed debate topic....sensitive.

The topic requires one to look at historical facts. . .Pre-Amalgamation, reasons for put forth for the amalgamation (were they valid or not) and Post amalgamation - Did it work? If no, give you reasons based on facts, if you think it it did.. . .do the same and if you think it could have worked but certain issues derailed it, lay out your case with supporting evidence. SIMPLE!!

We should be able to discuss issues (especially one that deals with OUR HISTORY) without getting all emotionally strung about it, you know. . .After all we are supposed to be ADULTS who ought to know when and where to unleash our emotional outbursts and when to keep a tight rein on it.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 11:13pm On Oct 21, 2012
Sisi, na you i see so. Im delighted to see you on the judges panel. grin

Out of all the judges on that panel you are the only one I can truly say has good head on their shoulder.....the rest are scandalous, but we will manage them. If any debater give you palava let me know dear.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 11:15pm On Oct 21, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

OAM,

I dont know anybody that will say the 1914 amalgamation is a blessing. So why is it even a topic of debate? It will be nice to have contestans open on that historical note....but anyone presenting it as a blessing is doomed to lose.

Not true. You'll see smiley
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 11:30pm On Oct 21, 2012
Obinoscopy:

Not true. You'll see smiley

Im not sure the moderators have a good grip on this project to be honest.

On whethet or not amalgamation is a good thing, there is only one way to answer that......it is BAD! There is no division of opinion on that. The reality is self evident.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 11:43pm On Oct 21, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

On whethet or not amalgamation is a good thing, there is only one way to answer that......it is BAD! There is no division of opinion on that. The reality is self evident.

I'm sorry what you're wrong again especially as it concerns the bolded in your quote
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 12:03am On Oct 22, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Care to shed more light?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 1:31am On Oct 22, 2012
Obinoscopy:

I'm sorry what you're wrong again especially as it concerns the bolded in your quote

.....no conscientious Nigerian who means well for the progress and well being of the peoples constituting this citizenship will ever swear on their credibility that the 1914 amalgamation was the right direction to take the Yorubas, the Igbos, the Hausas and every other peoples of this nation.

...for other reasons maybe!!! I want to hear which side of reason you are on.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Gboliwe: 6:21am On Oct 22, 2012
Obinscopy is so confident and that is a big plus. An arguement I am so looking forward to.
Also, the very random picking of four contestants and all from one part of the country should make this one debate free from bigotry.
Saturday it is.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 22, 2012
I really will like to see what those arguing in favour of the alamagation have to say. What a wack topic!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 22, 2012
Jarus:
Thanks for your thought, but we dont consider that topic sensitive. And if you look at the debaters they are from same part of the country , so this is not an ethnic clash.

If the debaters do their homework well, this topic also tends to be very educative. A lot of facts will be dug up and we will all learn or refresh our knowledge.

If you want to have an educational discussion on the Amalgamation then by all means go ahead. But a debate on it's impropriety or not is just plain silly!

Ethinicity aside . . .
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by semid4lyfe(m): 4:39pm On Oct 22, 2012
Lol, this reminds me of that Denzel movie. . .The Great Debaters cheesy

Henry Lowe (Instructor): Who is the judge?
Students (debaters): The judge is God.
Henry Lowe (Instructor): And why is he God?
Students (debaters): Because, he decides who wins or loses, not my opponent.
Henry Lowe (Instructor): And who is your opponent?
Students (debaters): He doesn't exist.
Henry Lowe (Instructor): And why doesn't he exist?
Students (debaters): Because, he is a mere dissenting voice to the truth I speak.

I recommend the Nairaland Debaters should see it if they haven't already

Looking forward to the debate

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (37) (Reply)

Couple Wear IPOB Attire At Their Wedding In Owerri (Photos) / Toyin Saraki Joins The Obamas, Usher & Others For Event At The White House. PICS / Jonathan Congratulates Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala On Her Twitter Appointment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.