Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced (10754 Views)

FG Debunks ISIS Figures On Recent Boko Haram Attacks And Killings / Jonathan's Speech At Handover Presentation. / Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by mukina2: 9:11am On Oct 09, 2012
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/diasporatv#/recorded/26022448

Fellow Nigerians,over the past few weeks Unprecedented Floods have ravaged many parts of our country,rendering tens of thousands of fellow Nigerians homeless and causing massive destruction of proprieties, farmland and infrastructure across the country.
I wish to express our deep commiseration with all those who have lost loved ones, those who have lost their properties as well as all the affected communities and institutions

Its sad that this global phenomenon of devastating floods has come to Nigeria at this time. I want to reassure all Nigerians that the federal government is prepared to do everything possible to mitigate the impact of this natural disaster. I had earlier set up a Presidential technical committee to visit all affected areas, with a view to properly assessing the impact of the floods. The committee had earlier submitted an interim report, the report which contains a number of recommendation was presented to key stake holders including the leadership of the national assembly and governors of the affected state. The technical committee will continue to go round the country while the vice president and i will also visit some of the affected communities.

When we receive the committees final reports, the federal government will further initiate medium and long term measures to check future flood disasters. In the meantime, relevant government agencies have intervened to provide relief to the affected persons in collaboration with the State governments. NEMA has so far spent N1.314 billion to provide immediate relief materials. The ministry of works has spent N556m on the repair of collapsed bridges and the construction of bye-passes, while the ministry of environment has spent N95m on sundry relief measures. In addition to this, the federal government has decided on a number of measures to further ameliorate the situation. These include the immediate provision of a total of N17.6 in direct financial assistance to the affected States and some federal government agencies responsible for disaster management. The states will receive a total of N13.3B while the federal agencies will receive N4.3B.

Based on the present assessment, the States have been categorized into four groups: A to D. All Category A States will receive N500m each, Category B States N400m each Category C States N300m each, and Category D States N250m each.

Category A: Oyo, Kogi, Benue, Plateau, Adamawa, Delta, Bayelsa and Anambra.
Category B: Jigawa, Kano, Bauchi, Kaduna, Niger, Nasarawa, Taraba, Cross-River, Edo,Lagos and Imo.
Category C: Kwara, Katsina, Gombe, Ogun, Ondo,Ebonyi, Abia and Rivers
Category D: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara, Yobe, Enugu,Ekiti, Osun, Akwa-Ibom, Borno and FCT

To further intensify their intervention activities, the following agencies of the Federal Government have also been allocated funds as follows: Ministry of Works - N2.6B,NEMA - N1.1B ,Ministry of Environment - N350M, National Commission for Refugees – N150m,Technical Committee on Floods Impact Assessment - N100

I have also set up a National Committee on Flood Relief and Rehabilitation to assist the Federal Government to raise funds to mitigate the pains and ensure the effective post-impact rehabilitation of victims. This Committee will be co-chaired by Alhaji Aliko Dangote and Mr. Olisa Agbakoba, while Dr. Mike Adenuga Jr. will serve as the Chief Funds Mobiliser.The full membership of the Committee will be announced immediately after this broadcast.

Fellow Nigerians, let me use this opportunity to thank State Governments, members of the National Assembly, private individuals, agencies of government, private sector institutions, NGOs, faith based organizations, and philanthropic groups who individually and collectively have risen to the aid of persons and communities affected by the floods.This humanitarian and compassionate spirit that has been on display in the past few weeks reassures us that, at critical moments Nigerians are able to come together in pursuit of a common purpose.

My Fellow Compatriots, let me once again reassure you that this Administration remains fully committed to the welfare and well being of all Nigerians at all times.May God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
I thank you all.

6 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 09, 2012
This speech is meant for 1st class looters....

I listened & watched...but I didn't see any reason for a live broadcast from Mr President.. This is something Mrs Iweala or Labaran Maku should have done...and then send to journalist.

AND I HAVE TO SAY THIS:
someone needs to shut down NTA (or whoever broadcasted that thing).. that station is a shameful thing to a republic.. Mr president was wrongly positioned.

6 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by since1914(m): 10:31am On Oct 09, 2012
acidosis™:

I listened & watched...but I didn't see any reason for a live broadcast from Mr President.. This is something Mrs Iweala or Labaran Maku should have done...and then send to journalist.

I agree with you. His handlers shouldn't have allowed him to make that broadcast. He simply raised the expectations of Nigerians, whom were expecting to hear something different. He could even have made this speech from any of the flooded areas he plans to visit. It will have more effect and would even score him some measure of goodwill from the populace.

I sincerely sympathize with the President. He probably has the worst set of advisers ever made available to any President. The speech only ended up highlighting the fact that the President is yet to visit the affected areas after almost three weeks since the first flood. I am now convinced some of his own advisers are serially setting him up to fail.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by Dollarman101: 10:59am On Oct 09, 2012
Flooding is a natural disaster and it deserves the attention of the president. I don't think a US president would keep mum when faced with a similar circumstance.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 09, 2012
Dollarman101: Flooding is a natural disaster and it deserves the attention of the president. I don't think a US president would keep mum when faced with a similar circumstance.
a US president would not come on air and start sharing money like a cooperative society..

The decision is a good one..no doubt! but its not in correlation with the purpose/target

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by miteolu(m): 11:26am On Oct 09, 2012
2 MUCH WAHALA in NAIJA
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by Ijebulogic(m): 11:27am On Oct 09, 2012
Mr President: Morning Team
Psychophants: Moring Sa!!, Long Live Nigeria Sir, Long Live Madam sir!!, Morin Sir.
Mr President: Okay, straight to business. Please give me highlights of the main issues we need to address this week.
Psychophants: Commander in Chief, we are facing the biggest national disaster of our time sir, the people are dying in floods sir, even my grandmother's house in some unknown village that contributes nothing to our GDP is flooded sir. The people are screaming for help, the Ministries are screaming for funds. we need funds sir - that is, cash, dollars, faroukas, Kudi, moneeee!!!
President: Oh that is terrible. So let me understand this, is this flooding a national or localised issue
Adviser: Localised sir, we have found that....
Psychophant: Please, please please, Mr adviser, you are not on top of the matter. Mr President this is a National disaster and the funding must reflect federal character. The desert areas of the north must get funds, also the people who already live on water in the creeks must be well funded. Areas like Lagos, run by that opposition party, Action Group or so dont need any funds, they have plenty money. But back to the issue of funds sir, we need money fast fast sir. fast!!!
Mr President: Okay, thank God we have the Ecological Fund and competent Ministers and Agencies to handle this issue
Adviser: You are right sir, the Ecological fund invested in Treasury Bills and Government Bonds and by my estimate should be worth about...
Psychophants: Haba Mr adviser, why do you mislead us?? Mr President, the Ecological fund has been wiped out by the global financial crisis and all the inaction of the CBN. In fact sir, i think we need to invite the Governor of the CBN to come and tell us what happened to the fund. I think we should use the money from Government savings sir!
Mr President: Okay and modalities to be managed my NEMA, Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Agric, Housing and Works?
Psychphants (shout in unison): No sir, this is politically sensitive and affects all arms of Government. We should run by an objective committee sir.
Mr President: Okay, makes sense. So i need the DG of that NEMA place, Perhaps an economist, and lets get in touch with the UN agencies that are experts in disaster management. What about that Mayor of New Orleans, he did an amazing job during their disaster - lets invite him to advise us on a special contract. Okay team?
Psychphants: No sir! absolutely not!!! we dont need foreign assistance or the people will say you are weak! Common New Orleans Mayor...who is he sir? Does he have money like our Adenuga and Aliko? we think we should promote our own people sir.
Mr President: well...okay. I dont agree but in the spirit of democracy, i will side with my advisory team. Set up the commitee immeditaly and write my speech, i want to address my people tomorrow morning by 7am. Any other issues?
Adviser: yes sir...last weekend, four students.
Psychophant: Oga adviser!!! Please go and write the grammar for the speech let me finish briefing Oga on the students.
Adviser: Okay, excuse me sir while i call the media etc.
Psychophant: Thank you and good bye. Ehen Mr President, some cult boys killed themselves last weekend. This country sha. In our days, shebi we just used to box each other and smoke gbana. Now the cultists are killing themselves. But dont worry sir, the Nigerian people are not even concerned about it.
Mr President: As a former lecturer, this thing pains me. I should spend at least 1 minute consoling the families?
Psychophant: HABA!! capital no sir! Next thing they will say its because the boys were in a cult you sponsored thats why you are talking. They will ask why you didnt talk since when others were killing themselves. Dont worry sir. Lets handle the floods, Nigerians are not worried about those boys.
Mr President: Well, okay, i guess you guys are doing your jobs and giving me the information that i need to act.
Psychophants: YES SIR! Long Live Nigeria sir... please sir, we need funds fast to mobilise the committee.

22 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by elampiro(m): 11:30am On Oct 09, 2012
Too much criticism.

Before Hurricane Isaac landed in US, all the governors of the states on its path gave speeches ahead. Obama also gave his speech and approved the declaration of state of emergency.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by Bukkyade: 11:32am On Oct 09, 2012
There is need to give due attention to this flooding issue just the way a US President will do to hurricane Katrina.
It's a natural disaster and emphasis needs to be placed in tackling it.

The essence of this broadcast is to place it on the front burner so that the citizenry will acknowledge that our government is responsive to this national challenge.
If he fails to do so, many will still come on Nairaland to accuse the president of being insensitive to the plight of the people.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by bid4rich(m): 11:32am On Oct 09, 2012
I dont believe in words, I believe in action. My fear is that of cancerworm where at the mention of the so called relieve fund would have plan massively the strategy of diverting it to perrsonal gain. Hmmmm God dey o
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by jigawatts(m): 11:34am On Oct 09, 2012
I dont think the president needs to do a live broadcast for this issue, he should have just told Reno (a.k.a BEAF), Maku and Abati to announce it....... Its an important issue But not worth a national broadcast...... BTW, Bros Jona used 5-7mins for d speech .....sO FAST grin
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by chucky234(m): 11:36am On Oct 09, 2012
Dollarman101: Flooding is a natural disaster and it deserves the attention of the president. I don't think a US president would keep mum when faced with a similar circumstance.
Hmmm I can't imagine Obama on CNN doing what our dear president did this morning,why a national broadcast to disburse funds to flood victims/affected states?
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by mrperfect(m): 11:37am On Oct 09, 2012
My president is trying his best. God bless you sir.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by emenim(m): 11:37am On Oct 09, 2012
With this statement from the president, be rest assured that some of these selfish individuals who are still hiding under his administration will use the opportunity to loot from the poor masses affected by the flood
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by freecocoa(f): 11:38am On Oct 09, 2012
Abeg how much is the sum total of the money mentioned there? This people are funny sha.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by Mekusnwa: 11:39am On Oct 09, 2012
elampiro: Too much critism.

Before Hurricane Isaac landed in US, all the governors of the states on its path gave speech ahead. Obama also gave his speech and approved the declaration of state of emergency.
Don't mind these unemployed critics. They don't even understand the workings of govt. all they do is to come here and talk cheap.
A president spoke to his people about their collective ecological problems and it has become an issue.
He has also announced a fund to manage it and yet some people want to tear their pants about it.

In US, bailout fund packages are heralded with great speeches by the President. This fund is a sort of ecological bail out package. It shows the level of transperancy on offer by this govt that the president decided to make it public. Kudos GEJ

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by N4MANKIND: 11:42am On Oct 09, 2012
PEOPLE TALK OF THINGS THEY CAN NOT DO IN LIFE BECAUSE THE CAN TALK VERY WELL, AND I DONT LIKE TO WALK WITH SUCH TYPE OF PEOPLE and in life there are two things which are composory to every one which are...................... i need an answered pls help me my fellows people.

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by jigawatts(m): 11:43am On Oct 09, 2012
BUT SERIOUSLY, I expected more from the president tho, Things like:

1. Bakassi stuff
2. ALUU killings
3. Mubi massacre
4. JTF Massacre
5. Madam Patient's health
6. Killing of Abubakar Shekau (IF ITS TRUE)

or ABSOLUTE REMOVAL OF FUEL SUBSIDY grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by olivertwist: 11:43am On Oct 09, 2012
acidosis™:

a US president would not come on air and start sharing money like a cooperative society..

The decision is a good one..no doubt! but its not in correlation with the purpose/target

grin grin grin The bolded part is very funny grin grin grin

However, I agreed with the president sharing the fund on air. You know Naija now. If the president just said, I've released N250 Billion naira to Nema, states and other agencies for the flood victims, we all know that probably, only 10% of that fund will get to the final destinations. But now, with this announcement, the NEMA chairman/head knows exactly what is being paid into their account i.e N1.1 Billion and knows where to go if he received less than that.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by jigawatts(m): 11:45am On Oct 09, 2012
N4 MANKIND: PEOPLE TALK OF THINGS THEY CAN NOT DO IN LIFE BECAUSE THE CAN TALK VERY WELL, AND I DONT LIKE TO WALK WITH SUCH TYPE OF PEOPLE and in life there are two things which are composory to every one which are...................... i need an answered pls help me my fellows people.

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided shocked shocked shocked
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by Abujafood: 11:45am On Oct 09, 2012
Mr President don't mind those who think the flood issue does not deserve the seriousness you're giving it!

Can they say that to over 1 million displaced and homeless people?

What about the threat of epidemics?

Nimet predicting even more floods?

Sure the president should not offer the affected persons hope that their plight is being looked into by the federal govt. #People and their baseless criticism!

*Wetin man go do when them no go talk*

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by makon384: 11:45am On Oct 09, 2012
While I am happy that the federal government seems to be showing commitment to ameliorating the impact of the recent floods on affected communities through its intervention efforts. However, I am piqued that the President's address seems to suggest it is all about disbursing funds, as about 50% of the address shows. This is a dangerous signal that will portray the government as being reckless and providing an oppurtunity for corrupt minded officials to further enrich thier pockets. I am surprised NEMA has spent such a huge sum in its intervention efforts...

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by Abujafood: 11:47am On Oct 09, 2012
makon384: While I am happy that the federal government seems to be showing commitment to ameliorating the impact of the recent floods on affected communities through its intervention efforts. However, I am piqued that the President's address seems to suggest it is all about disbursing funds, as about 50% of the address shows. This is a dangerous signal that will portray the government as being reckless and providing an oppurtunity for corrupt minded officials to further enrich thier pockets. I am surprised NEMA has spent such a huge sum in its intervention efforts...

So in other words no funds should be disbursed?

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by DisGuy: 11:47am On Oct 09, 2012

you mean 2-3 weeks after keeping mum?

is the money going to both the state government and the agencies responsible?

chief fund raiser? raise funds from who, dangote already donated N400m, sod this!

this dude just want to be seen doing something after his UN trip
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by floriana(m): 11:47am On Oct 09, 2012
What pains me most is that he read the speech from a slate and looked like a student of adult literacy
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by jadakiss213(m): 11:47am On Oct 09, 2012
Bukkyade: There is need to give due attention to this flooding issue just the way a US President will do to hurricane Katrina.
It's a natural disaster and emphasis needs to be placed in tackling it.

The essence of this broadcast is to place it on the front burner so that the citizenry will acknowledge that our government is responsive to this national challenge.
If he fails to do so, many will still come on Nairaland to accuse the president of being insensitive to the plight of the people.
Abi o.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by divatosin(f): 11:49am On Oct 09, 2012
grin grin Bad belle people don start to wonder. They are at a loss as to how Mr President avoided their well prepared criticisms over the flooding ravaging most states innNigeria.
The president was intelligent enough to stop them in their tracks with this broadcast. He beat them to it.

The likes of Lai Mohammed, the monarchical spokesman of Tinubu's company-ACN, will be fumming in anger by now. He must have scripted a masterpiece on Jonathan's insensitivity to the flooding confronting Nigeria. but little did he know that we have a president who has gone beyond mere speeches to create a fund to tackle this challenge comprehensively.
Who says there is vacancy in 2015? grin

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by DisGuy: 11:49am On Oct 09, 2012
so basically all the states are getting cash, was there flood in plateau?

even borno is getting flood money?
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by shakers(m): 11:51am On Oct 09, 2012
Yes and the have shared the money again... I love this country..... God when will it be my turn to partake in this juicy sharing formula? I feel sorry for the real flood victims, I hope they get some of the money

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by blackmale(m): 11:51am On Oct 09, 2012
we need more speech on ALLU 4 too..
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by meksroland: 11:52am On Oct 09, 2012
JESUS!!! Save us from critics. So the problem now is that GEJ is not suppose to do the broadcast. I pity naija cos we can't go anywhere like this at all.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced by jadakiss213(m): 11:54am On Oct 09, 2012
jigawatts: I dont think the president needs to do a live broadcast for this issue, he should have just told Reno (a.k.a BEAF), Maku and Abati to announce it....... Its an important issue But not worth a national broadcast...... BTW, Bros Jona used 5-7mins for d speech .....sO FAST grin
A national disaster that affects more than 50 percent of the country aint worth a broadcast?? If he doesn't do anything,u'll complain,if he does as he has rightly intervened,ure still picking faults.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Samsung Opens Experience Stores In Ibadan And Lagos / Joint Account: Call NFIU To Order, Govs Urge Buhari / Constitution Review: 25 States Demand State-Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.