Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,969 members, 7,817,843 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? (5010 Views)

Any Ibo Man In The Calibre Of Mike Omeri Is A Coward. / Pictures Of The Flood In Udaba-Ephei, Edo State / Pictures Of The Flood In Makurdi, Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by KingSolomonI: 11:32am On Oct 09, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the establishment of a National Committee on Flood Relief and Rehabilitation to raise funds in support of Government’s efforts to provide urgent relief for victims of recent floods across the country.

The composition of the Committee is as follows:
1. Alhaji Aliko Dangote - Co-Chairman
2. Mr. Olisa Agbakoba - Co-Chairman
3. Dr. Mike Adenuga Jnr. - Chief Fund Mobilizer
4. Alhaji Karami Isiaku Rabiu - Member
5. Alhaji Mohammed Indimi - Member
6. Ngo Hannatu Cholum - Member
7. Mrs. Folorunsho Alakija - Member
8. Prof. Dora Akunyili - Member
9. Mr. Tony Elumelu - Member
10. Secretary-General, Nigerian Red Cross - Member
11. Representative of C.A.N. - Member
12. Representative of N.S.C.I.A. - Member
13. Representative of the UNDP - Member
14. Representative of the European Union - Member
15. Representative of DFID - Member
16. Representative of USAID - Member
17. Perm. Sec., Fed. Ministry of Environment - Member
18. Perm. Sec., Fed. Min. of Water Resources - Member
19. Perm. Sec., Federal Ministry of Works - Member
20. Perm. Sec., Federal Ministry of Agriculture - Member
21. Perm. Sec. Federal Ministry of Health - Member
22. Perm. Sec., Federal Ministry of Finance - Member
23. Perm. Sec., Fed. Ministry of National Planning - Member
24. Director-General, NEMA - Member
25. Ag. Commissioner, National Commission for Refugees - Member
26. Perm. Sec., Ecological Funds Office - Member
27. Chairman, Senate Committee on Special Duties - Member
28. Chairman, House Committee on Environment - Member
29. Rep., Nigerian Union of Journalists - Member
30. Rep., National Council of Women’s Societies - Member
31. Mr. Tunde Lemo, (Representing the CBN) - Member
32. Ms. Fatima Wali - Member
33. Mr. Frank Nweke Jnr. - Member
34. Senator Florence Ita-Giwa - Member

The Committee has been given the mandate to raise funds to complement government’s resources for the provision of relief to flood victims across the country and the post-impact rehabilitation of affected persons and communities.
The Committee, which is also expected to advise government on the judicious utilization of funds raised, has been authorized by President Jonathan to co-opt any other persons or organizations that it may find useful in carrying out its assignment.
The Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation will provide a secretariat for the Committee.
It has been given one year to conclude its task.
Reuben Abati
Special Adviser to the President
(Media & Publicity)
October 9, 2012

http://saharareporters.com/press-release/official-release-president-jonathan-establishes-national-committee-raise-funds-flood-v

2 Likes

Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by KingSolomonI: 11:37am On Oct 09, 2012
Personally, i think with the likes of Dangote,Agbakoba and Adenuga implies that the movers and shakers of the society were put in the committee cos of the financial implications involved... Lets hope they really alleviate the hardship these flood victims are going thru.
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by SkyBlue1: 11:47am On Oct 09, 2012
With regards to the first few names: Hopefully they are too rich to be interested in stealing chicken change (that is the hope anyway). I won't automatically assume they were chosen for their project management skills because I never assumed they got to where they are in business as a result of such, especially knowing how things in Nigeria works. As long as the money is used with as little stealing as possible and with some degree of efficieny. . .
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by Foxybone(m): 12:39pm On Oct 09, 2012
I dey pass by.. No lele grin grin grin
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by Pergrace: 12:40pm On Oct 09, 2012
Enough allowance for them... cheesy cheesy
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 09, 2012
I don't know all these clowns apart from Mike Adenuga and Dangote... If they're all Nigerian elites, then it's another thieving jamboree..

So, what happens after all these 'owanbe' party flood committee invitees raise funds?? Are they also going to build drainage systems/levees in the affected areas?? We also need to be proactive against future natural disasters...

BTW, global warming is a fraud!! However, Nigeria needs proper drainage systems...
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by Ezennaemeka1(m): 12:43pm On Oct 09, 2012
I pray that this won't be another medium to share the national cake.
My heartfelt sympathy to the affected ones. May the Lord be their strength. Amen
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by 2rutalk1: 12:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
Is Senator Florence Ita Giwa still a Nigerian? I thought she is from Bakassi Local Government Area of Cross River State. just asking

1 Like

Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by chucky234(m): 12:53pm On Oct 09, 2012
This is not the first time Aliko is been nominated to lead a committee,Olisa Agbakoba is a fraud as he was one of the people that sold NLC to FG during the January subsidy protest.
I pray they put the funds released to good use and alleviate the suffering of those affected by the flood.
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by Michrach: 12:53pm On Oct 09, 2012
Good move by Mr president, right set of people, especially with people like Dangote and his like there.
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by mrperfect(m): 12:56pm On Oct 09, 2012
The important think to me is good result, not who is there.
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by SlyIg(f): 1:04pm On Oct 09, 2012
mrperfect: The important think to me is good result, not who is there.
The 'who is there' matters a lot cos its they that will bring out a positive result. But thats a good move by d president since d committee isnt from the house of rep. Remember what happens to d committee set aside for the fuel subsidy?
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by abouzaid: 1:07pm On Oct 09, 2012
I think the committee is bloated. They should have appointed a smaller no. Lean and mean
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by Okukk(m): 1:14pm On Oct 09, 2012
I think the gesture is quite commendable, but I feel it is coming a bit late. And also, it's amazing what this displace persons are going through. I visited some part of Asaba and Onitsha axis, it's quite pathetic.
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by MurphyT1: 1:19pm On Oct 09, 2012
this post is written in simple english, yet som pple find it difficult to understand, it baffles me, really...the committee is not using any fund, they r to raise funds from generous Nigerians and advise the govt on how to use the funds raised to avoid reoccurence of such incidence... the committee is very ok...

2 Likes

Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by Dejohnbull: 1:28pm On Oct 09, 2012
Southern nigerians should be careful wit de way dey treat igbos, now that huricane flood is overtaking some comunities in bayelsa, delta, some part of rivers, ijaw man hav no plan (B) than t move up to Enugu or Aba...
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by alaoeri: 1:29pm On Oct 09, 2012
Ppl that are praising Dangote & Adenuga now hope they won't turn & abuse them tomorrow beside Agbakoba was among Nuhu Ribadu's led committee on fuel subsidy stuff any meaningful thing from that committee. mstcheeew undecided
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 09, 2012
as usual the brainless fisherman gets it wrong! what about people representing the affected areas? i don't see any benue or kogi man on that list!
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by CrazyMan(m): 1:39pm On Oct 09, 2012
I wouldn't criticize GEJ for those he nominated for the exercise.

If he feels they're the best candidates for the job, then who am I to find fault with his reasoning?

My prayer is that they deliver - and the government should construct enough drainage systems in the county, so such calamity wouldn't re-occur in future.
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by juman(m): 1:39pm On Oct 09, 2012
The members are good. But they should be careful of the civil servants among them.
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by teskyg: 1:42pm On Oct 09, 2012
They forgot to Include Otedollar grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by SisiKill1: 1:50pm On Oct 09, 2012
What the. . . Did GEJ just go through his address book and started appointing his friends?

I tell ya, it is like secondary school all over. . .where prefects pick people to organize an activity not because they are qualified but because they are their friends.

Lord save us from the juvenile mentality of the FG. undecided

1 Like

Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by justsayemma(m): 2:00pm On Oct 09, 2012
If ministry of enviroment,works, Nema,n other related agencies r functionin,I don't tink we nid dis ova bloated comitee.wil d likes of Dangote n Adenuga ve d tym 4 d comitee? Anoda waste pipe comitee.
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by Vogue50: 2:05pm On Oct 09, 2012
Pergrace: Enough allowance for them... cheesy cheesy
mmmmmh? So people like Dangote and Adenuga will demand ur so called enough allowance?
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by Vogue50: 2:11pm On Oct 09, 2012
justsayemma: If ministry of enviroment,works, Nema,n other related agencies r functionin,I don't tink we nid dis ova bloated comitee.wil d likes of Dangote n Adenuga ve d tym 4 d comitee? Anoda waste pipe comitee.
The committee was set up to raise funds that will be used to assist the federal government. The likes of Dangote and Adenuga may not have the time but definitely can offer a reasonable financial assistance.

1 Like

Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by dabrake(m): 2:19pm On Oct 09, 2012
Goodluck 'Committee' Jonathan is at it again. Well the 1st and 3rd people are worth 3 bags of garri. The rest worth 1 each
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by ekwenche(m): 2:20pm On Oct 09, 2012
[i][/i][b][/b]i m very ok with the committee ,they should realise people are suffering and try as much as possible to help .
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by nduchucks: 2:21pm On Oct 09, 2012
As ususal, a minimum of well fortified 40 Jeeps (SUVs) will be purchased right away for each committee member for touring the disaster area (Their budget is almost N18billion). Lets hope 50% of the funds are actually spent on flood relief.

I'd strongly recommend that for each committee, with a budget of N1billion or more, formed by the President, an empowered audit committtee which will monitor spending and report on a monthly basis, be also formed.

These committees have stolen more money that you people can imagine.
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by SkyBlue1: 2:22pm On Oct 09, 2012
torkaka: as usual the brainless fisherman gets it wrong! what about people representing the affected areas? i don't see any benue or kogi man on that list!

A Benue or Kogi man being on that list should not be you concern, your concern should be whether the job gets done or not! What a silly little comment. This is how we like to play daft quota system with every single thing while relegating considerations of competence to the background!

1 Like

Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by Vogue50: 2:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
I greatly commend the federal government for including the permanent secretaries in the committee because their ministries will play a key role in disbursing and monitoring the execution of these projects . This will also ensure judicious utilization of funds raised.
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sky Blue:

A Benue or Kogi man being on that list should not be you concern, your concern should be whether the job gets done or not! What a silly little comment. This is how we like to play daft quota system with every single thing while relegating considerations of competence to the background!

there's what we call terrain and knowing the people/communities most affected etc! its is for the reason you have govt. at the local level (govt. closer to the people). it's not everything you shout qouta and get applauds for! if tomorrow you start hearing the victims complaining that relief materials did not get to them, look no further!
Re: Your Take On The Calibre Of People In The Flood Committee? by jmaine: 2:55pm On Oct 09, 2012
torkaka: as usual the brainless fisherman gets it wrong! what about people representing the affected areas? i don't see any benue or kogi man on that list!

Guess your a strong advocate of the poisonous Quota or federal Character system . . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Update: The Bokoharam Prisoners Are Now In Anambra / Breaking: Ex-us Congressman Renews Call For Biafra Referendum / Kano Workers To Get N20,000 Fuel Subsidy Palliative, Pensioners N15,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.