Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Which Is Better And Why - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Is Better And Why (1069 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Better And Why by dmark4real: 8:12pm On Oct 09, 2012
which is more better? Microsoft visual basic dot net wit SQL SERVER AND PHP WITH MYSQL SERVER. Waec is done ms vb dot net. Can anyone giv reasons
Re: Which Is Better And Why by creativeEngr: 8:40pm On Oct 09, 2012
Simple and Direct answer - None.
Its almost like saying MTN is better than glo for making calls.

Each programming platform/language has its pros and cons. For purely Windows based applications, VB.Net and SQL Server may be preferable. They may also have some advantages for enterprise-wide solutions.

PHP/MySQL however, is a lot easier to learn and deploy for virtually all types of Web Applications. It is however, NOT suited for Windows based Applications. Facebook is powered by PHP/MySQL.

The task/job at hand and also the skills of the programmer will determine which tool/language is used. I hope this helps you. Cheers
Re: Which Is Better And Why by mkwayisi: 10:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say VB.NET + SQL Server is better than PHP + MySQL. Reason?
VB.NET/MSSQL combo gives you desktop (Windows), web (IIS), and even mobile (Windows CE) deployment options.
PHP + MySQL = Web! Wait... unless you want to do some really obscure ungodly deeds.
DISCLAIMER: Despite the given opinion above, I do not recommend it!
Re: Which Is Better And Why by creativeEngr: 10:28am On Oct 10, 2012
Dude, agreed PHP may not yet be ideal for mobile applications but the big question remains - What kind of Application needs to be developed?

VB.Net is too much tied to Windows based platforms, which get unsupported or outrightly replaced, sometimes with very little or no notices from Microsoft. A case in view was the phase out of Active X controls in VB6. Programmers had to redesign some applications suddenly.

VB.Net + SQLServer has its main strength for any Windows based application but Java, in my opinion is far better for mobile applications that could run easily on every device - iOS, Android, etc.

PHP MySQL - superb for web applications.

By now, we should have a comment from the person who started the thread.
Re: Which Is Better And Why by xterra2(m): 7:57pm On Oct 10, 2012
First of all, i dislike people like you (OP) STOP using vb please, mooooove on please, use C# instead
For web,i personally would use :
1.) Php with Mysql i love ASP.Net with C#, makes it easier but i dislike SQL server, i would avoid using the useless software WHEN i CAN.
2.) ASP.NET MVC with the Razor syntax with Useless SQL sever sad
3.) ASP.NET (that has a stupid syntax)
The only reason one should use ASP.NET is when youre out of time, and you would appreciate the Drag and drop features of visual studio
Re: Which Is Better And Why by mkwayisi: 10:42pm On Oct 10, 2012
Windows CE?
Yes. It's an OS for embedded systems.
Are we in 2005?
No, we're in 2012 -- the year after MS released the latest stable version of WinCE (newer than Win7).
I don't understand what you mean as "Desktop"
Perhaps you might want to look up "Mobile" and "Web" first.
A desktop app is .exe
No. For example, a Java SE program can be termed as a desktop application, however it's apparently not .exe.
PS: Just in case you care to know, Windows Phone is built on top of WinCE! And please, don't derail threads just because you feel like doing so.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better And Why by ilee1206: 8:46am On Oct 12, 2012
Gorgeous ré-écriture, dit qu'elle n'est pas propre
[img]http://www.forexchartingsoftware.info/pc.gif[/img]
Re: Which Is Better And Why by dmark4real: 3:39pm On Oct 12, 2012
Thanks so much for your contributions, i so much appreciate it, in summary most ppl believed that php with mysql is great for web apps, while asp.net good in the area of windows base apps. I think in terms of simplicity for which Microsoft is driving: asp.net is easier to use.

Regards

signed Dmark4real
Re: Which Is Better And Why by talk2hb1(m): 1:44pm On Oct 16, 2012
mkwayisi: I'm gonna stick my neck out and say VB.NET + SQL Server is better than PHP + MySQL. Reason?
VB.NET/MSSQL combo gives you desktop (Windows), web (IIS), and even mobile (Windows CE) deployment options.
PHP + MySQL = Web! Wait... unless you want to do some really obscure ungodly deeds.
DISCLAIMER: Despite the given opinion above, I do not recommend it!

Who said you cant develop a desktop application with PHP+MySQL? But mostly PHP is dominant on the web, instead of limiting yourself to VB.NET why not try learning C#, Because C# programmer earn more than PHP programmer.
Re: Which Is Better And Why by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 16, 2012
ASP works with Sql and MySql and PHP works with mysql and SQL, so this thread is out of point.

(1) (Reply)

How To Hire Smart Nigerian Developers. / PHP: When To Use Procedural Programming Or OOP / How Rapidly Exploring Random Trees (RRT) Algorithm For Path Planning Works?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.