Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train (10567 Views)

Man Who Killed Policemen Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Bayelsa (photo) / Nigeria Rental Car Operator Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Malaysia(photos) / Nigerian Doctor Sentenced For Fraud And Misconduct In Ireland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by CrazyMan(m): 12:44am On Oct 10, 2012
The Lagos State Special Offences Court in Ikeja on Tuesday sentenced 10 people to 10 hours of community service each for hanging on coaches of the Mass Transit Train Service, the News Agency of Nigeria reports .

In her judgment, the magistrate, Mrs. I. O Omotosho, said the community service would be determined by the Lagos State Community Services Department.

The magistrate said she was lenient with the convicts because they had spent one week in custody since their arrest at Ikeja Train Station on October 3.

“I hope that this will serve as a deterrent to others,” she said.

The men faced a three-count charge of obstruction of justice, breach of peace and assaulting some policemen.

The prosecutor, Mr Tunde Sunmonu, had told the court that the convicts “rowdily hung on a train in motion and endangered their lives and those of others.

“When ASP Idris Muritala and Cpl. Azeez tried to arrest them, they assaulted them and injured the corporal,” he said.

Sunmonu said the offences contravened Section 27 of the Lagos State Environmental Law 2003 and 166 (2) and Section 171 of the Criminal Code Laws of Lagos State 2011.

The men, aged between 18 and 52, pleaded guilty.

They are Shobanjo Lateef, Bamishile Noah, Taofeek Abdulazeez, Uchenna Ikeh, Jimoh Ahmed and Ganiyu Adeyemi.

Others are Aderemi Adeboye, Ladipo Abiodun, Ifeanyi Uzor, Oriade Oladipupo and Oladele Olafare.

Speaking with the NAN after the judgment, Mrs. Asetayo Asagba, the spokesperson for the state Task Force on Miscellaneous Offences, said that the Railway Police Command had enlisted the assistance of the task force to tackle the menace.

The Railway Police Command recently requested for the partnership of the Lagos Environmental and Special Offences Enforcement Unit on the patrol and protection of the railway tracks.

http://www.punchng.com/news/10-sentenced-for-hanging-on-moving-train/

2 Likes

Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by ololo12: 3:01pm On Oct 10, 2012
Hmmm!
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 10, 2012
Lol
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by k2039: 3:03pm On Oct 10, 2012
Good development,this will help in restoring sanity to the general public.
Some people just behave like animals and they need to be called to order

3 Likes

Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by Biggyd2: 3:04pm On Oct 10, 2012
Now this makes sense to me. The punishment fits the offence. The lawmakers should take note when making laws for the state.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 10, 2012
Nigerians funnii oo. Imagine hanging on a train. Are they train conductors

1 Like

Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by Afam4eva(m): 3:08pm On Oct 10, 2012
I wan fear. I though i saw "They were sentenced to hanging for Hanging on a moving train"

6 Likes

Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by CastleandGreen: 3:10pm On Oct 10, 2012
this kind of thing can only happen in Lagos, men hanging on a moving train.
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by Subuhanalahi: 3:11pm On Oct 10, 2012
Good for them
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by alaoeri: 3:12pm On Oct 10, 2012
10hrs community service for hanging ℓ☺ℓ.
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by PosCaricature: 3:14pm On Oct 10, 2012
afam4eva: I wan fear. I though i saw "They were sentenced to hanging for Hanging on a moving train"
I almost think same.
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by princeFAD: 3:18pm On Oct 10, 2012
afam4eva: I wan fear. I though i saw "They were sentenced to hanging for Hanging on a moving train"
I almost think same.
PosCaricature :
I almost think same.

me too
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by dondigi(m): 3:20pm On Oct 10, 2012
ok. i see what you mean.

1 Share

Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by AntiGbagaun(f): 3:20pm On Oct 10, 2012
k2039: Good development,this will help in retoring sanity to the general public.
Some people just behave like animals and they need to be call to order
angry

3 Likes

Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by packman: 3:20pm On Oct 10, 2012
[size=15pt]SO WATING HAPPEN NAW BOYS WEY NO SEE TRANSPORT DECIDED TO HANG RADA DAN STEALING ABEG FASHOLA SHOULD GO DIE

RUBBISH[/size]
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by Pimples(m): 3:21pm On Oct 10, 2012
What the diffrence between a moving train and a moving BRT/ Molue
Sometimes people also hang precariously on these buses that they also endanger their lives and that of other people.
What is to be done about that?

Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 10, 2012

Same thing I thought at first o cheesy

1 Like

Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by jalay(m): 3:22pm On Oct 10, 2012
hmmm am not surprise hearing this story.. lagosians are law breakers.. grin grin
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by suskumayaya(m): 3:22pm On Oct 10, 2012
Serves them right.
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by suskumayaya(m): 3:29pm On Oct 10, 2012
packman: [size=15pt]SO WATING HAPPEN NAW BOYS WEY NO SEE TRANSPORT DECIDED TO HANG RADA DAN STEALING ABEG FASHOLA SHOULD GO DIE

RUBBISH[/size]

What gives you the impression that they don't have transport fare? Some of them believe they are smart.
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by frankgreat(m): 3:31pm On Oct 10, 2012
Pimples: What the diffrence between a moving train and a moving BRT/ Molue
Sometimes people also hang precariously on these buses that they also endanger their lives and that of other people.
What is to be done about that?

olodo, were did u see sumone hanging on a movin BRT? ThiS is not your village o, this is lagos...eko o ni baje
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by mrperfect(m): 3:32pm On Oct 10, 2012
Any thing that will bring sanity is a welcome development.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by anjyzplace: 3:33pm On Oct 10, 2012
packman: [size=15pt]SO WATING HAPPEN NAW BOYS WEY NO SEE TRANSPORT DECIDED TO HANG RADA DAN STEALING ABEG FASHOLA SHOULD GO DIE

RUBBISH[/size]

Only God know where men like packamn will have their eyes open. Telling one of the most responsible Governor to go and die. Thats a bad thing to wish your governor. May such thing not come to pass. If anyone dont have a transport fare, they whould walk or hanging is a cheaper way of dying anyway.

May Fashola Live long and may our country move forward. Amen

6 Likes

Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by bonna4u(m): 3:37pm On Oct 10, 2012
This is the appropriate punishment for such behaviours. At least they would be useful to the society as they do the community service.
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by Pimples(m): 3:37pm On Oct 10, 2012
frankgreat: olodo, were did u see sumone hanging on a movin BRT? ThiS is not your village o, this is lagos...eko o ni baje
When last did you enter a Brt in the early morning or late evening?
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by BeraBera(f): 3:39pm On Oct 10, 2012
Hanging on a moving train is absolute bullshit! They are endangering their lives and the lives of others. I heard someone died sometime ago in either Oyo or Ondo state for trying to jump into a moving train. The train crushed him
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by Jeffy1206(m): 3:47pm On Oct 10, 2012
i luv dis development community service... Dis kind of sentence shud be ncourage for minor offence like dis one.''i hope it 'll serve as deterrent to others''
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by AntiGbagaun(f): 3:52pm On Oct 10, 2012
Jeffy1206: i luv dis development community service... Dis kind of sentence shud be ncourage for minor offence like dis one.''i hope it 'll serve as deterrent to others''
angry

1 Like

Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by bestman09(m): 3:59pm On Oct 10, 2012
Those sentenced were those who were unable to settle, but why should they spend 7 days behind bar before they were taken to court?
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by naptu2: 4:11pm On Oct 10, 2012
bestman09: Those sentenced were those who were unable to settle, but why should they spend 7 days behind bar before they were taken to court?

Did you actually see people bribing their way through, or are you just assuming?
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by Nimi22(f): 4:14pm On Oct 10, 2012
i thought i was the only one that saw it that way too.
Re: 10 Sentenced For Hanging On Moving Train by 1ndidi2(f): 4:15pm On Oct 10, 2012
Anti-Gbagaun:
angry

Hahaha! Mr. Anti- gbagaun, you will make "N'lnders" to always proof read and double check their spellings/grammar. You seem to be everywhere o! Easy abeg! or it will take away the fun!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

EFCC Hands Over Recovered ₦67.5 Million / GEJ Told Metuh How To Share N400m –witness / Adamawa: Police Charge 110 Suspects To Court Over Looting Of Warehouse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.